Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Welcome TE Hayden Hurst - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Welcome TE Hayden Hurst (/Thread-Welcome-TE-Hayden-Hurst)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Welcome TE Hayden Hurst - ochocincos - 03-17-2022

(03-17-2022, 06:09 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I figured I'd get called out on this as I didn't and look up any stats. I was really going off fantasy football and the fact that Hurst was actually relevant in 2020 consequently he had the most targets by far in 2020 and had his best year. I think he will fit what we need from a playmaking stand point.

That's why I've mentioned he's probably on par with Uzomah.
His production has been about on par with Uzomah, including YPR.
Uzomah's best season is this past year at 495-5 at 10.1 YPR whereas Hurst's was 571-6 at 10.2 YPR.

So I feel he's about replacement-level. Not much better, not worse (at least in the receiving department).

(03-17-2022, 05:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: with Pitts you can run 2 TE set or just line him up outside.

Even if Atlanta had someone better than Hurst at tight end, the versatility of Pitts is something any offense wants. 

I sure as hell wanted Pitts as a Bengal.

RE: Welcome TE Hayden Hurst - Frank Booth - 03-17-2022

(03-17-2022, 06:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's why I've mentioned he's probably on par with Uzomah.

he's better than uzomah

(03-17-2022, 06:23 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's better than uzomah

How so

RE: Welcome TE Hayden Hurst - wanga - 03-17-2022

(03-17-2022, 05:30 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: but can he yell in the locker room

Not as well as you in the game day threads

(03-17-2022, 05:01 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I gotta say, this is a terrible take. If we were in their spot, we'd have taken Pitts and cut CJ in a heartbeat.  Pitts is an all-worl pass catching TE. Possibly the best in the league already. 

Why do people always assume the team let the player go. If you are Hurst, we stay in ATL behind Pitts. Wouldn't you rather play more & have a shot to rebuild value? That ain't happening in ATL. 

We didn't get a chance to see whether Bengals would have taken Pitts over Chase, so we don't know if they would have or not.

I'm sure part of the reason Hurst chose the Bengals on a 1-year deal is because he believes he'd get more opportunity than the likes of ATL.

All I'm saying is ATL possibly considered Hurst not good enough as a receiver that they chose to get Pitts. They could have instead chosen to keep Hurst as the primary TE and get Chase or some other WR.

RE: Welcome TE Hayden Hurst - basballguy - 03-17-2022

(03-17-2022, 06:19 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I didn't realize his background and what he had done to get to the NFL.  In fact his career started in baseball.  But I found this video just looking things up about him.  If you have 20 minutes it is worth a watch.

"Meh" or not I hope he lights it up this year as a member of the Bengals.

"When he was a child he threw the ball so hard in t-ball he had to move up a level for the safety of the players in the batters box"

That's some Russian propaganda shit right there.  

(03-17-2022, 06:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: How so

better prospect, better career year than Uzomah. Hurst played next to Andrews and Pitts. No tight end is gonna put up great numbers when there's an all-pro level tight end right next to them. Hurst at his best, as the number 1 tight end, is a fringe top 10 tight end

RE: Welcome TE Hayden Hurst - George Cantstandya - 03-17-2022

(03-17-2022, 06:28 PM)basballguy Wrote: "When he was a child he threw the ball so hard in t-ball he had to move up a level for the safety of the players in the batters box"

That's some Russian propaganda shit right there.  

WTF is wrong with you? I don't even know what point you are trying to make.  Maybe this one means more it isn't from some youtuber looking for clicks like the above video:

I probably should have posted this one instead of the first video. But I found this one after I heard his story.

Anyway, welcome Hayden. I'm glad to see you on my favorite team. I hope you have a career year.

RE: Welcome TE Hayden Hurst - basballguy - 03-17-2022

(03-17-2022, 06:32 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: WTF is wrong with you?  Maybe this one means more it isn't from some youtuber looking for clicks like the above video:

woosh

RE: Welcome TE Hayden Hurst - fredtoast - 03-17-2022

(03-17-2022, 06:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: better prospect, better career year than Uzomah. Hurst played next to Andrews and Pitts. No tight end is gonna put up great numbers when there's an all-pro level tight end right next to them. 

Yet somehow Hurst got 88 targets in 2020.

This is a good example of what I keep telling people about efficiency numbers v raw totals.

Hurst's best season he only produced 78 more receiving yards on 25 more targets than Uzo got.

RE: Welcome TE Hayden Hurst - Tony - 03-17-2022

(03-17-2022, 04:15 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It'll depend on the number, but I like the idea of adding a former first round pick on a prove it deal.

Hurst is gonna Ball out with Burrow...

(03-17-2022, 06:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: better prospect, better career year than Uzomah. Hurst played next to Andrews and Pitts. No tight end is gonna put up great numbers when there's an all-pro level tight end right next to them. Hurst at his best, as the number 1 tight end, is a fringe top 10 tight end

Hurst having basically identical YPR to Uzomah in their best year indicates Uzomah would have done about as well as Hurst if he had received that many targets.
In 2020, Hurst had 88 targets and 56 receptions, which was 63% catch rate. He had 10.2 YPR.
In 2021, Uzomah had 63 targets and 49 receptions, which was 78% catch rate. He had 10.1 YPR.

If Uzomah got 88 targets at his catch rate and YPR, he'd have been around 693 yards.

Also, in Hurst's best year, he was only 14th-highest in yardage among TEs. That's closer to middle-of-the-pack than fringe-Top 10.

Let's keep an eye on Hurst this year and see how much better (or worse) he does to Uzomah's 2021.
I feel it will be similar.

(03-17-2022, 06:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yet somehow Hurst got 88 targets in 2020.

This is a good example of what I keep telling people about efficiency numbers v raw totals.

Hurst's best season he only produced 78 more receiving yards on 25 more targets than Uzo got.

the falcons were 2nd worst in the league at running the ball, right behind pittsburgh. 

they had the 4th most pass attempts in the league

and the offensive line was bad. So of course there were inefficiencies

(03-17-2022, 06:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yet somehow Hurst got 88 targets in 2020.

Hurst had no TE competition in 2020, which is why he got so many targets.
He was 4th in production behind Ridley, Jones, and Gage though.
Very similar to how Uzomah was this past year with Chase, Higgins, and Boyd.

(03-17-2022, 06:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In 2020, Hurst had 88 targets and 56 receptions, which was 63% catch rate. He had 10.2 YPR.
In 2021, Uzomah had 63 targets and 49 receptions, which was 78% catch rate. He had 10.1 YPR.

Im not sure if you're reading that stat correctly. Boyd didnt drop a pass in the '21 regular season, but his catch rate is 71.3% for that year.

targets and drops are different. 2020 Matt Ryan is not 2021 Joe Burrow

Falcons were dropping back to pass every time in 2020 sorta like the bengals were in 2020. The catch rate will always be lower on a team that slings it constantly due to the running game being abysmal

RE: Welcome TE Hayden Hurst - TKUHL - 03-17-2022

I really wanted OJ but I think I like this signing better. He’s not a bad player at all. Good hands can causes miss matches down field. I really like it.

(03-17-2022, 06:45 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you're not reading that stat correctly. Boyd didnt drop a pass in the '21 regular season, but his catch rate is 71.3% for that year.

targets and drops are different. 2020 Matt Ryan is not 2021 Joe Burrow

I actually didn't say anything about drops, you did.
2020 Matt Ryan may not be 2021 Burrow, but it's not like Ryan was completely inaccurate. He had a 65% completion in 2020, which is not bad.

I was more trying to say that if Uzomah got as many targets as Hurst did, Uzomah would have for sure exceeded 600 yards, which would have surpassed Hurst's career best.

As I said, let's keep an eye on Hurst's production this year to see how much better he ends up doing than Uzomah.
Maybe he does end up being an upgrade.
I'm not convinced right now he will be.

RE: Welcome TE Hayden Hurst - NUGDUKWE - 03-17-2022

(03-17-2022, 06:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's why I've mentioned he's probably on par with Uzomah.
His production has been about on par with Uzomah, including YPR.
Uzomah's best season is this past year at 495-5 at 10.1 YPR whereas Hurst's was 571-6 at 10.2 YPR.

So I feel he's about replacement-level. Not much better, not worse (at least in the receiving department).

I've been saying Hurst is better from a playmaking perspective than Uzomah. But thats probably a little to do that I'm thrilled we did something after a quiet couple days. I think its fair to say they are on par with each other. But thats really all we need we really don't have room on offense for TE demanding a lot of targets.

(03-17-2022, 06:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I actually didn't say anything about drops, you did.
2020 Matt Ryan may not be 2021 Burrow, but it's not like Ryan was completely inaccurate. He had a 65% completion in 2020, which is not bad.

I was more trying to say that if Uzomah got as many targets as Hurst did, Uzomah would have for sure exceeded 600 yards, which would have surpassed Hurst's career best.

As I said, let's keep an eye on Hurst's production this year to see how much better he ends up doing than Uzomah.
Maybe he does end up being an upgrade.
I'm not convinced right now he will be.

Gronkowski in 2020 had 45 catches on 77 targets.

That's worse than Hurst in 2020