Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? (/Thread-Why-the-is-Jessie-Bates-not-signed-yet)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - 2MinutesHate - 05-22-2022

(05-21-2022, 04:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: There were 12 safeties whose contracts averaged $10m+/yr in 2021. The only one of them to win a playoff game was Tyrann Mathieu as the 7th highest paid.

Safety just doesn't seem like a smart position to be paying guys Top-5 money to. Let alone one who is not consistent in quality of play. If you had an Ed Reed or a Troy Polamalu, sure, but otherwise it really seems like RB where it's just a poor place to allocate top dollar to.

Yep.  Even come next year, what teams with a top 10 paid safety have a good shot to make the playoffs?  Titans (Kevin Byard), Chiefs (Justin Reid), Cardinals (Budda Baker) and maybe the Ravens and Broncos. 

In our division, I don't think Watson sees the field this year (or sees a lengthy suspension), Pittsburgh doesn't have a QB and Lamar has been figured out.  I'd much rather have another decent guard and an average Safety than Jessie Bates.

As an employer, I know what it's like when one of your employees begins stirring up the pot because he believes he's being underpaid.  It spreads to the rest of the group and causes dissension.  Most times, that person moves on and the rest of the group stays.  I wish we would've traded Bates last season, but I believe they have a plan.  Where are the Raiders when we need them? Smirk

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - TheLeonardLeap - 05-22-2022

(05-22-2022, 11:23 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Yep.  Even come next year, what teams with a top 10 paid safety have a good shot to make the playoffs?  Titans (Kevin Byard), Chiefs (Justin Reid), Cardinals (Budda Baker) and maybe the Ravens and Broncos. 

In our division, I don't think Watson sees the field this year (or sees a lengthy suspension), Pittsburgh doesn't have a QB and Lamar has been figured out.  I'd much rather have another decent guard and an average Safety than Jessie Bates.

As an employer, I know what it's like when one of your employees begins stirring up the pot because he believes he's being underpaid.  It spreads to the rest of the group and causes dissension.  Most times, that person moves on and the rest of the group stays.  I wish we would've traded Bates last season, but I believe they have a plan.  Where are the Raiders when we need them? Smirk

I actually have no problem with Bates wanting to get paid. If he had played like the postseason all season long, I would have been the first to be saying they should offer him a big contract, because he was a true game changer in the playoffs. I just haven't seen anywhere near enough consistency of that level of production for me to want the Bengals to be the one to pay him top safety money when we have seen so much mediocre play too.

So yeah, no problem with him wanting paid, but if you are going to put that out in the public, you need to perform at a high enough action to back up your demands. Can't let it affect you negatively on the field, that's when it becomes a big problem.

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Graphicguy - 05-23-2022

According to this, Bates has no intention of playing on the franchise tag…..AT ALL!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/16/report-jessie-bates-has-no-plans-to-sign-franchise-tag-or-play-under-it/

He isn’t as good as Reid, Williams or Mathieu, either. IF he’s angling for that kind of money, it’s clear why the Bengals are balking.

Save that money and put it towards other, more important pieces of this team long term.

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - fredtoast - 05-23-2022

(05-23-2022, 10:27 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: According to this, Bates has no intention of playing on the franchise tag…..AT ALL!

1.  Jessie Bates has not said anything like this.

2.  Even the source Tyler Dragon supposedly got his info from only says that bates will not be in TRAINING CAMP.

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - bengalfan74 - 05-23-2022

Here's James Rapiens opinion FWIW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkQhzl7vaUk

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-23-2022

Bates has had one great regular season (2020) and one great post-season (2021/22) in his time here. He was also very good in 2018 as a rookie.

But he was also mediocre in 2019 and 2021. .

If he plays & lights it up this year, then MAYBE I pay him. But like RB, I think it is a bad idea to overpay for good but not great players.

I'd much rather pay for a CB, DE, DT, or IOL.

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - fredtoast - 05-23-2022

(05-23-2022, 01:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Here's James Rapiens opinion FWIW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkQhzl7vaUk

Not the biggest fan of Rapiens, but he is basically saying the same thing I did.  Don't trade Bates for a draft pick that will make us weaker this year but maybe better in 2-3 years. Only do it if you get a player that will start this year.

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - bengalfan74 - 05-23-2022

(05-23-2022, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not the biggest fan of Rapiens, but he is basically saying the same thing I did.  Don't trade Bates for a draft pick that will make us weaker this year but maybe better in 2-3 years. Only do it if you get a player that will start this year.

And I agree. 

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Stewy - 05-23-2022

(05-23-2022, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not the biggest fan of Rapiens, 
It the Denny flashbacks.....

Quote:but he is basically saying the same thing I did.  Don't trade Bates for a draft pick that will make us weaker this year but maybe better in 2-3 years. Only do it if you get a player that will start this year.
I agree.

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-23-2022

Agree that the time to trade Bates was pre-draft.

Tading him for picks now weakens us, though a player could help.

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - J24 - 05-23-2022

If you do a trade for Bates you have to either get a first or a young player + a third. I think they sign him long term but I would not rule out a trade

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - XenoMorph - 05-24-2022

(05-23-2022, 06:19 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Agree that the time to trade Bates was pre-draft.

Tading him for picks now weakens us, though a player could help.

Anything left out on the market

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-25-2022

(05-21-2022, 04:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: There were 12 safeties whose contracts averaged $10m+/yr in 2021. The only one of them to win a playoff game was Tyrann Mathieu as the 7th highest paid.

Safety just doesn't seem like a smart position to be paying guys Top-5 money to. Let alone one who is not consistent in quality of play. If you had an Ed Reed or a Troy Polamalu, sure, but otherwise it really seems like RB where it's just a poor place to allocate top dollar to.

This.

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - CJD - 06-15-2022

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34096621/pittsburgh-steelers-make-minkah-fitzpatrick-highest-paid-safety-nfl-history

Welp. That's that. I think Bates is not going to sign an extension with us. That is now two data points in the "absurdly expensive" contracts now that Minkah is making over 18M AAV.

I was really hoping that Minkah would sign closer to 15M which would be the guiding light for Bates' contract but, alas, no.

Good thing we drafted Hill :).

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 06-15-2022

(06-15-2022, 01:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34096621/pittsburgh-steelers-make-minkah-fitzpatrick-highest-paid-safety-nfl-history

Welp. That's that. I think Bates is not going to sign an extension with us. That is now two data points in the "absurdly expensive" contracts now that Minkah is making over 18M AAV.

I was really hoping that Minkah would sign closer to 15M which would be the guiding light for Bates' contract but, alas, no.

Hello, 2024 comp pick.

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - ochocincos - 06-15-2022

(06-15-2022, 01:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34096621/pittsburgh-steelers-make-minkah-fitzpatrick-highest-paid-safety-nfl-history

Mike Brown to Bates - "Hey, we'll give you $10 mill a year and a prime parking spot. How's that sound?  Cool "

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 06-15-2022

After the Minkah Fitzpatrick deal he will be gone soon or after he plays under the Franchise Tag this season.

Just hope it is best for all who is involved. Namely us lol

Jessie will get his no question.

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - puddycat - 06-16-2022

What makes anyone think Bates will play great this year? Some players don't perform well in contract years. I don't think that that necessarily translates to bad under pressure, but he has already shown that not having a contract is a distraction. In fact, it was his worst season. Paying someone a franchise tag salary for another year like he had last year is just stupid. Sign him for multiple years or pull the tag.

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Frank Booth - 06-16-2022

(06-16-2022, 01:30 AM)puddycat Wrote: What makes anyone think Bates will play great this year? Some players don't perform well in contract years. I don't think that that necessarily translates to bad under pressure, but he has already shown that not having a contract is a distraction. In fact, it was his worst season. Paying someone a franchise tag salary for another year like he had last year is just stupid. Sign him for multiple years or pull the tag.

I can tell you’re a rational person who has their emotions in check

RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Sled21 - 06-16-2022

(06-16-2022, 01:30 AM)puddycat Wrote: What makes anyone think Bates will play great this year?  Some players don't perform well in contract years.  I don't think that that necessarily translates to bad under pressure, but he has already shown that not having a contract is a distraction.  In fact, it was his worst season.  Paying someone a franchise tag salary for another year like he had last year is just stupid.  Sign him for multiple years or pull the tag.

So he can have multiple seasons like he had last year? He needs to play on the tag at this point to show he can be consistent.