Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Draft is complete, what's next? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Draft is complete, what's next? (/Thread-Draft-is-complete-what-s-next)

Pages: 1 2 3

Draft is complete, what's next? - bk42 - 05-01-2022

With the draft complete now, I wonder what's next for the Bengals this off season. Liking what they've done but still hoping they make a few smaller moves to solidify depth and assume they'll look soon at extending some of their own players. Not a ton of cap space left but appears to still be room if they want to use it. Hoping for:

1) A veteran offensive tackle that can play LT and RT behind Williams and Collins. Am worried that an injury leads to Adeniji or Prince trying to protect Burrow again. Anticipated improvements from Hill and Carman would help but still would feel better with a veteran OT for depth on the roster
2) WR 4 (an experienced WR that immediately slots in above guys like Thomas/Taylor/Irwin)
3) Veteran pass rusher (a rotational guy behind Sam and Trey)

And no long term deals for this added depth (1 year contracts so no long term impact on Bengals retaining their core players)

Other roster moves?
DB's added via the draft - does that impact Brandon Wilson/will they use his cap room elsewhere?

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - Mike M (the other one) - 05-01-2022

Doesn't camp start tomorrow?
Let's see what we got going in and let them take it from there.

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - The D.O.Z. - 05-01-2022

I’d suspect they’ll have their eyes on cuts now. WR, 3DT, DE, RB, TE depth. Need punter competition too.

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - SHRacerX - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 11:13 AM)bk42 Wrote: With the draft complete now, I wonder what's next for the Bengals this off season. Liking what they've done but still hoping they make a few smaller moves to solidify depth and assume they'll look soon at extending some of their own players.  Not a ton of cap space left but appears to still be room if they want to use it.  Hoping for:

1) A veteran offensive tackle that can play LT and RT behind Williams and Collins.  Am worried that an injury leads to Adeniji or Prince trying to protect Burrow again.  Anticipated improvements from Hill and Carman would help but still would feel better with a veteran OT for depth on the roster
2) WR 4 (an experienced WR that immediately slots in above guys like Thomas/Taylor/Irwin)
3) Veteran pass rusher (a rotational guy behind Sam and Trey)

And no long term deals for this added depth (1 year contracts so no long term impact on Bengals retaining their core players)

Other roster moves?
DB's added via the draft - does that impact Brandon Wilson/will they use his cap room elsewhere?

I don't see them adding any other offensive linemen as they have guys backing up every spot with NFL experience.  A WR would be intriguing if the right person was released.  No to a veteran pass rusher as well as they have Sample, Ossai, and Kareem...all young and with NFL experience (not Ossai, but he has the most upside and athletic potential.  

If I had to guess, they didn't reach on any CBs because they have their eye on a veteran that they can pick up.  They might have to make some room with the finances, but that could be easily accomplished with restructures for the likes of Hubbard or Mixon. 

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - THE PISTONS - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 11:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't see them adding any other offensive linemen as they have guys backing up every spot with NFL experience.  A WR would be intriguing if the right person was released.  No to a veteran pass rusher as well as they have Sample, Ossai, and Kareem...all young and with NFL experience (not Ossai, but he has the most upside and athletic potential.  

If I had to guess, they didn't reach on any CBs because they have their eye on a veteran that they can pick up.  They might have to make some room with the finances, but that could be easily accomplished with restructures for the likes of Hubbard or Mixon. 

I thought one of the safeties they drafted was going to play CB? The 3rd Round one.

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - SHRacerX - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 11:43 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I thought one of the safeties they drafted was going to play CB? The 3rd Round one.

The third round guy was a DT.  The fifth round guy is rumored to have flexibility to play LB.  Our FIRST round pick has played outside CB.  

I think they just really like Cam Taylor-Britt.  (CTB).

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - sandwedge - 05-01-2022

Smith will probably be more of a T now and not try to play G.

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - leonardfan40 - 05-01-2022

1- I’d like to see Spain brought back cheap.
2- Reiff if he will play for less than $5 mil to be a backup.
3- A WR 4 if any decent ones are out there that will come cheap. Still a lot of interesting names. Fuller, Julio, Hilton, Sanu, Beasley, Humphries, Westbrook, Sanders, Hurns. Some are over the hill, some will probably want too much money or to be higher than #4 but we should be able to bring someone decent in at a fair price. Especially after so many teams went WR in the draft because they don’t want to pay them.
4- I’d also be interested in bringing in Foles if he isn’t trying to break the bank so that we have a legitimate backup QB should we need one

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - Stewy - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 04:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: 1- I’d like to see Spain brought back cheap.
3- A WR 4 if any decent ones are out there that will come cheap. Still a lot of interesting names. Fuller, Julio, Hilton, Sanu, Beasley, Humphries, Westbrook, Sanders, Hurns. Some are over the hill, some will probably want too much money or to be higher than #4 but we should be able to bring someone decent in at a fair price. Especially after so many teams went WR in the draft because they don’t want to pay them.
4- I’d also be interested in bringing in Foles if he isn’t trying to break the bank so that we have a legitimate backup QB should we need one

no fuller

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - Interceptor - 05-01-2022

I would like to see the ground game improve with this new line. It would give Burrow an added dimension with play-action.

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - AtomicBlaze - 05-01-2022

In my dream scenario we would still sign JC Tretter, since we didn't invest heavily in offensive line in the draft. I think this would give us a top 10 offensive line, and potentially the best offense in football, and most importantly I would know we did all that we could to protect Burrow this year, ownership owes him that based on the previous 2 years of allowing him to get killed. Leaving OG as a question mark is not good enough in my opinion. I would also resign Spain and cut or trade Carman and Adeniji since he is better than both of them.

For receivers, I would resign AJ Green if he is still available and let him retire a Bengal and also hopefully let him get a Super Bowl win.

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - M.W. - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 04:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: 1- I’d like to see Spain brought back cheap.

Great plan and a better back up QB should be a priority. It is painful watching Allen attempt to play football.  

(05-01-2022, 05:16 PM)M.W. Wrote: Great plan and a better back up QB should be a priority. It is painful watching Allen attempt to play football.  

It won't matter if Burrow goes down we have no chance in the brutal AFC.  I would rather get more OL to make sure that doesn't happen.

Does anyone know what is up with Reiff?  I would think if he is healthy he would have been signed somewhere.

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - fredtoast - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 05:18 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: It won't matter if Burrow goes down we have no chance in the brutal AFC.  I would rather get more OL to make sure that doesn't happen.

It could make the difference between making the playoffs and staying home if Burrow is just nicked and only misses 1-3 games.

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - fredtoast - 05-01-2022

There are things I want and things I think might happen.

For example, I'd like a better back up QB, but Brandon is here to stay. This will be his 3rd year. If they have kept him this long they are not getting rid of him.

I'd also like to sign vet for depth on the O-line. I'd say there is a 50/50 chance the Bengals do this. And no thanks to Reiff. He played all right for us but is old and injury prone.

I'd like to sign a #4 WR. Again I'd say about a 50/50, but we should have options.. Considering that 75% of the picks in the first two rounds of the draft were WRs I'd say there will be experienced vets coming available soon. And these guys are not expensive. But he has to be able to play special teams.

I'd like to sign a vet 3T DT. The Zach Carter pick probably makes this unlikely, but we really need help here. We gave Mike Danials another contract even though he has been pretty much invisible for the last two years. In 419 snaps he had zero sacks, zero hurries, zero QB knockdowns, 1 QB hit, 2 TFL and 12 solo tackles. I know he is a former Pro Bowl player, but he is finished. Maybe Cam Sample can bulk up and play more inside.

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - bengals67 - 05-01-2022

I would like to see them sign:

Oginjpbi - one year deal. Probably won’t happen

A vet lineman who could start at left guard - more important than signing Larry O. Or sign Tetter and move Karas

A vet WR on a one year contract who wants a shot at Super Bowl and a chance to play with JB

Another tight end on one year deal. Anyone out there?

We aren’t signing another QB

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - bengalfan74 - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 05:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are things I want and things I think might happen.

For example, I'd like a better back up QB, but Brandon is here to stay. This will be his 3rd year. If they have kept him this long they are not getting rid of him.

I'd also like to sign vet for depth on the O-line.  I'd say there is a 50/50 chance the Bengals do this.  And no thanks to Reiff.  He played all right for us but is old and injury prone.

I'd like to sign a #4 WR.  Again I'd say about a 50/50, but we should have options..  Considering that 75% of the picks in the first two rounds of the draft were WRs I'd say there will be experienced vets coming available soon.  And these guys are not expensive.  But he has to be able to play special teams.

I'd like to sign a vet 3T DT.  The Zach Carter pick probably makes this unlikely, but we really need help here. We gave Mike Danials another contract even though he has been pretty much invisible for the last two years.  In 419 snaps he had zero sacks, zero hurries, zero QB knockdowns, 1 QB hit, 2 TFL and 12 solo tackles.  I know he is a former Pro Bowl player, but he is finished.  Maybe Cam Sample can bulk up and play more inside.

Did hell freeze over ? My thoughts are right with Fred.

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - phil413 - 05-01-2022

Recieving TE and Foles, though I'm all for Spain, Larry O. or Reiff if the price is right.

RE: Draft is complete, what's next? - grampahol - 05-01-2022

Trade Borrow for Andy Dalton.. You know those time machines have a special effect..