Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread (/Thread-Crazy-Stats-and-Quotes-Thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 12-26-2022

Mike Thomas is a former Bengal because he had only 2 receptions on 10 targets from the most accurate Quarterback in NFL history.

Mitchell Wilcox? How about 17 receptions on 18 targets.

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 12-26-2022

(12-24-2022, 11:45 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Heres a fun one.... Bengals 22-18 victory over the Patriots is the 1st time this score has been recorded in NFL history. (Scorigami) the 1075th unique score.

(12-24-2022, 11:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Even weirder...it's the 18th time 22 points has been scored in a game, and the 22nd time 18 points has been scored.  Mellow

That is about as crazy as it gets lol

(12-25-2022, 01:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Awesome stat. Rock On

(12-26-2022, 01:34 PM)pally Wrote:

Love this ha ha  Hilarious

(12-26-2022, 05:21 PM)pally Wrote: maybe he'll cut down on the number of batted balls he throws

(12-26-2022, 05:25 PM)Synric Wrote: There's some scheme stuff to that...

Need to fix this for sure. The batted balls are the only thing I am really concerned with our team right now.

You can bet every Defense that faces Burrow is wanting to bat the ball up in the air for interceptions.

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 12-27-2022

Joe Burrow has 10 more completions, 22 more TDs and 852 more yards than Jon Kitna, who currently has 219 more passing attempts as a Bengal and 28 more INTs than Burrow.

Virgil Carter - 22 starts - 22 TDs - 20 INTs - 3,850 yards . . . 12-10 record
David Klingler - 24 starts - 16 TDs - 21 INTs - 3,880 yards . . . 4-20 record
Lesson: putting up sub early 70s passing stats in the mid 90s will lose you a lot of games.

Ken Anderson led the NFL in passing yards in back to back years with 2,667 in 1974 and with 3,169 in 1975
Before the 2011 season, the top three passing yardage seasons of all-time
1) 5,084 Dan Marino 1984
2) 5,069 Drew Brees 2008
3) 4,839 Kurt Warner 2001
And the rankings of those three seasons now? Marino is 11th, Brees is 12th and Warner went from 3rd to 27th in 11 seasons. Four QBs passed Warner in 2011(E Manning), three of them had over 5,000 yards(Stafford) and two of them passed Marino(Brady and Brees).
Ken Anderson's 2,667 yards in 1974 would be 17th right now and 28th if Brissett, Mac Jones, Tannehill, Dalton, Prescott, Garoppolo, Murray, Jackson, Stafford, Pickett and Mariota didn't miss any starts.

With 147 yards on Sunday Andy Dalton will go from #26 All-Time to #25, passing Boomer Esiason. He's also 374 yards behind #24 Dave Kreig.

Top 15 NFL All-Time in Passer Rating after the upcoming Monday Night game against Buffalo.
1) 105.7 Mahomes
2) 103.7 Rodgers
3) 102.2 D Watson
4) 101.0 Burrow
5) 100.2 R Wilson
6) 99.6 Garappolo . . . There's your crazy stat . . . currently the 5th rated passer of All-Time.
7) 98.7 Brees
8) 98.6 Prescott
9) 98.0 Cousins
10) 97.1 Romo
11) 97.0 Brady
12) 96.8 S Young . . . currently the highest rated HOF QB.
13) 96.7 L Jackson
14) 96.5 P Manning
15) 95.9 Herbert

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - PhilHos - 12-27-2022

(12-24-2022, 11:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Even weirder...it's the 18th time 22 points has been scored in a game, and the 22nd time 18 points has been scored.  Mellow

That's like the one of the many coincidences between Abraham Lincoln and JFK. One of which is that Lincoln had a secretary or something named Kennedy and Kennedy had a similar position named Lincoln.

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - pally - 12-27-2022

(12-26-2022, 11:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is about as crazy as it gets lol

Awesome stat. Rock On

Love this ha ha  Hilarious

Need to fix this for sure. The batted balls are the only thing I am really concerned with our team right now.

You can bet every Defense that faces Burrow is wanting to bat the ball up in the air for interceptions.

One of the Buccaneers' defenders said as much.  They were told that Burrow, due to his quick delivery, tends to have lower flatter throws so get their hands up.  The $64,000 question for guru Jordan Palmer is if he can change the trajectory of Joe's passes without impacting his accuracy

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - SHRacerX - 12-27-2022

(12-25-2022, 01:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

This is flat out amazing, given the line he has had (and lack of a run-first game plan that gave him easy play-actions) as well as the downfield nature of most of his passes last year. 

Wow.  Just wow.  He might be completing 75% each season as he is so dialed in now.  How he looked against the Pats....I mean, how many damn TD passes were DROPPED?  Three?  Two at least and one at about the 15?

Wow.  

(12-26-2022, 02:47 PM)pally Wrote: When Ja'Marr hits his 1000 yards, The Bengals will have 5 players on this list.  The next closest teams have 3.

Sad thing is, Tee actually did it in all three, but his last reception his rookie season, where he was injured, was overturned by a penalty.  That left him just under 1000 yards for the season.  

(12-26-2022, 05:21 PM)pally Wrote: maybe he'll cut down on the number of batted balls he throws

Sadly, I doubt it.  Not until the tackle play improves.

The batted balls are a product of Burrow being the shortest drop QB in the league.  That is, he is closer to the offensive line in his "stance" than any other QB in the NFL.  Why?  Because having that short a distance negates some of the inside angle the OTs have to defend.  This gives the pass-rushers a wider arc to get to Burrow and less chances of winning quickly inside and getting a quick shot on him.  With the improved guard play, he also has the ability to step up to avoid an outside rush.  

(12-26-2022, 05:31 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Mike Thomas is a former Bengal because he had only 2 receptions on 10 targets from the most accurate Quarterback in NFL history.

Mitchell Wilcox? How about 17 receptions on 18 targets.

Great example of guys stepping up.  

(12-27-2022, 12:03 PM)pally Wrote: One of the Buccaneers' defenders said as much.  They were told that Burrow, due to his quick delivery, tends to have lower flatter throws so get their hands up.  The $64,000 question for guru Jordan Palmer is if he can change the trajectory of Joe's passes without impacting his accuracy

Joe doesn't wear a visor, but I always thought a QB should wear a tinted visor (like Jim McMahon) because they can't see where he is looking.  Joe is really adept at looking one way with his head, but his eyes are looking a different way.  Those short passes, he doesn't look off and, like you said, teams can't get home as quick as he is getting the ball out and they just try to time their jumps.  The offensive line needs to improve at having their guys engaged, even when they aren't actively rushing the passer.  Tough, as you can't go upfield or you could be considered ineligible.  

One way to stop batted passes altogether is to find the attitude that came out and pounded the ball against Carolina and Atlanta.  Have that run game and you don't need those short RPOs as an "extension of the run game".  

I sure hope Mixon and Perine (and the line) can find some of that magic again.  

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 12:44 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sadly, I doubt it.  Not until the tackle play improves.

The batted balls are a product of Burrow being the shortest drop QB in the league.  That is, he is closer to the offensive line in his "stance" than any other QB in the NFL.  Why?  Because having that short a distance negates some of the inside angle the OTs have to defend.  This gives the pass-rushers a wider arc to get to Burrow and less chances of winning quickly inside and getting a quick shot on him.  With the improved guard play, he also has the ability to step up to avoid an outside rush.  

Could be correct, I do think maybe using a pump fake might help at times to negate some of the batted balls.

(12-27-2022, 12:51 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Joe doesn't wear a visor, but I always thought a QB should wear a tinted visor (like Jim McMahon) because they can't see where he is looking.  Joe is really adept at looking one way with his head, but his eyes are looking a different way.  Those short passes, he doesn't look off and, like you said, teams can't get home as quick as he is getting the ball out and they just try to time their jumps.  The offensive line needs to improve at having their guys engaged, even when they aren't actively rushing the passer.  Tough, as you can't go upfield or you could be considered ineligible.  

One way to stop batted passes altogether is to find the attitude that came out and pounded the ball against Carolina and Atlanta.  Have that run game and you don't need those short RPOs as an "extension of the run game".  

I sure hope Mixon and Perine (and the line) can find some of that magic again.  

For sure on the run game, too bad La'el got hurt as he was getting to be a great run blocker for us. But Adeniji might be an 
upgrade in pass protection for all we know. Also the visor would be a good thought in another year, I just don't see him wearing
a visor late in the season as he never has wore one. It is true defenders try and watch his eyes. Good thing he is damn good at 
looking off defenders.

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - Nicomo Cosca - 12-27-2022

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - NUGDUKWE - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 12:03 PM)pally Wrote: One of the Buccaneers' defenders said as much.  They were told that Burrow, due to his quick delivery, tends to have lower flatter throws so get their hands up.  The $64,000 question for guru Jordan Palmer is if he can change the trajectory of Joe's passes without impacting his accuracy

Well us getting the ball out quick might be the culprit for the tipped passes. I guess I just hadn't put that much thought into it. Shorter routes and the pocket hasn't gotten as messy creating some of the gaps. 

(12-27-2022, 10:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

This one is shocking to me. I love both of them but I always wonder if it's my homerism showing up. I guess teams probably only have one standout linebacker at least on the field that much. We depend a lot on both Wilson and Pratt. 

(12-27-2022, 10:34 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: This one is shocking to me. I love both of them but I always wonder if it's my homerism showing up. I guess teams probably only have one standout linebacker at least on the field that much. We depend a lot on both Wilson and Pratt. 

This is the only drawback to having a bunch of really good young players. I want to keep Chase/Tee and Logan/Pratt together so bad, but I know it’s probably not likely.

(12-27-2022, 10:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is the only drawback to having a bunch of really good young players. I want to keep Chase/Tee and Logan/Pratt together so bad, but I know it’s probably not likely.

Yeah I do worry that are real window for a superbowl is gonna end soon then may comeback later if we can get the right pieces back in place. I'm really just worried about losing players on defense that will affect the team. Burrow and Co. have been great but without what the defense has done we would just be another slightly better than middle of the road team. Burrow really just seems like a different kind of human being. Would he take slightly less money in order to have a better overall team around him? 

(12-27-2022, 11:10 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah I do worry that are real window for a superbowl is gonna end soon then may comeback later if we can get the right pieces back in place. I'm really just worried about losing players on defense that will affect the team. Burrow and Co. have been great but without what the defense has done we would just be another slightly better than middle of the road team. Burrow really just seems like a different kind of human being. Would he take slightly less money in order to have a better overall team around him? 

The biggest piece we have to worry about losing is Lou.

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 12-28-2022

(12-27-2022, 10:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

It's nice to see great players improve in Cincinnati instead of the usual plateauing the instant that they arrive in town. We've seen that crap for decades.

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - Housh - 12-28-2022

(12-27-2022, 11:10 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah I do worry that are real window for a superbowl is gonna end soon then may comeback later if we can get the right pieces back in place. I'm really just worried about losing players on defense that will affect the team. Burrow and Co. have been great but without what the defense has done we would just be another slightly better than middle of the road team. Burrow really just seems like a different kind of human being. Would he take slightly less money in order to have a better overall team around him? 

Honestly with Burrow playing the way he is, he IS the window. Tom Brady had 20 different rosters through this career and made all of them at least solid. Peyton Manning made every roster decent.

Guys like Kyler Murray and Ryan Tannehill make rosters WORSE. So of course their windows were super small. Burrow is SMART and can make every throw as if it’s easy. No matter who we have on offense i think Burrow will get points outta them as long as we block for him. The only thing even the great Joe Burrow can’t overcome is pressure getting to him instantly.

RE: Crazy Stats and Quotes Thread - NUGDUKWE - 12-28-2022

(12-28-2022, 10:28 AM)Housh Wrote: Honestly with Burrow playing the way he is, he IS the window. Tom Brady had 20 different rosters through this career and made all of them at least solid. Peyton Manning made every roster decent.

Guys like Kyler Murray and Ryan Tannehill make rosters WORSE. So of course their windows were super small. Burrow is SMART and can make every throw as if it’s easy. No matter who we have on offense i think Burrow will get points outta them as long as we block for him. The only thing even the great Joe Burrow can’t overcome is pressure getting to him instantly.

I think Burrow is great and he's certainly the most important piece of this team. I also think he will keep us relevant so in that sense our window is going to be open. But without a solid defense is he just outscoring the likes of Mahommes and Allen? I think what really worries me is I think secondaries are one of the toughest units to get right. I think Bates and Bell make a really good safety unit which helps our defense greatly and I fear that this may be the last year we see both of them on the field together.

Also on a side note. Reader is a beast and what Burrow does for offense he may do for the defense. Goodberry had some clips of him on his show this week and his play on that fumble against the Patriots was in insane. I know Bell knocked the ball out and Hill recovered but that play revolved around him.