Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft (/Thread-Do-we-need-Offensive-Lineman-In-The-2023-Draft)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Emeritus - 09-24-2022

Tiger

I'm going in the record now saying that we absolutely need offensive lineman. I'd say draft three players two early and one late. I've said to many that week four was my cut-off for excuses on the offensive line. If you ever want an honest interview or response win or lose find JaMarr Chase.
https://youtu.be/1e9GnRgzvDs

1/28/23
The draft always and forever will be about timing and positioning your team for FITS pushing the process forward. Thats what makes this draft pivotal in the direction of a franchise. The one thing that I can hang my hat on is Katie not getting into anything that compromised the success of a long-term plan. This won't be talked about this weekend heading into the Chiefs game but....It could very well be a something special brewing...There I say Dynasty..... The contracts are coming due soon but I don't trust anyone in the league more than Katie/ Mike with those decisions. You can book it that all of the guys we love will be signed. Don't ever forget that you have Duke Tobin that will get his long overdue credit in 2025. That will be after a few more A+ drafts that sets this team up for sustained greatness.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Clark W Griswold - 09-24-2022

(09-24-2022, 09:55 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I'm going in the record now saying that we absolutely need offensive lineman. I'd say draft three players two early and one late. I've said to many that week four was my cut-off for excuses on the offensive line. If you ever want an honest interview or response win or lose find JaMarr Chase.

Of course they need a OL man - depending on who’s there/the rest of the season I only see OL or maybe DT or DE in the first round. I would take a tackle if there’s one available depending on when they pick. If they go on a run and have a pick in the late 20’s or 30’s then I would not be opposed to trading up for OL.
Just too early to say for sure who they should pick at what spot because there’s a lot of season left to play (for the Bengals and the college players)

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - TheLeonardLeap - 09-25-2022

Won't matter how many they take until they fire all their current OL draft evaluators/pickers.

Jackson Carman
Jonah Williams
Billy Price
Cedric Ogbuehi
Jake Fisher

That's 5 1st-2nd round OL picks in the last 8 drafts and just brutal results.

The OL drafted in the 2nd round after Carman?
Aaron Banks (currently PFF's 6th ranked G)
Sam Cosmi (currently PFF's 17th ranked T)
Dillon Radunz (backup)
Josh Myers (currently PFF's 25th ranked C)
Creed Humphrey (currently PFF's 1st ranked C)

Can't trust the Bengals FO to find good OL in the draft. You can throw them into a haypile and somehow they seem to find a rusty needle every time when it comes to OL they like.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - BengalsRocker - 09-25-2022

This team is very poor at drafting linemen for the past recent years.

They desperately need a consultant(s) who knows how to evaluate talent and not just in house or past coaches/players.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Emeritus - 09-25-2022

Tiger

I love offensive line discussions because it means so much to a team

Rock On .

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Housh - 09-26-2022

Yea lol

We probably gonna need a LT and LG

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Hammerstripes - 09-27-2022

Depends on what you mean by early.  I don't think we need to draft an interior guy at this point.  Karras, Cappa and Volson will be much better by the end of the year (Cappa and Karras are already solid) and Volson is actually improving (something we haven't seen out of our recent draft picks)

I do think we need to draft a pure OT.  I don't think Jonah will be worth the money that he will command on the open market.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - puddycat - 09-28-2022

The positions that translate best to the NFL are safety, TE, LB, and then OT. If a TE with 1st round talent "falls" I would be interested, same with a rush LB. If we draft an OT, draft an LT to play LT or a RT to play RT. We don't need an extended learning curve on a 4 yr rookie deal. I think it'd easier to draft a pass-blocking OT in round since athletic project OTs get moved up.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 09-28-2022

Yeah, probably in the 2nd round we should start looking at O-Lineman. In the 1st we should be looking at a pass catcher
whether that be a stud TE like Michael Mayer or Brock Bowers or a WR for the future once Boyd or Tee or both leave.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Synric - 09-29-2022

(09-28-2022, 04:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, probably in the 2nd round we should start looking at O-Lineman. In the 1st we should be looking at a pass catcher
whether that be a stud TE like Michael Mayer or Brock Bowers or a WR for the future once Boyd or Tee or both leave.

Brock Bowers is a WR.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Goalpost - 10-01-2022

It depends where the value is. Reaching to me is a big no no if position is all you are eyeing, especially in the first round.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Emeritus - 10-01-2022

(09-28-2022, 04:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, probably in the 2nd round we should start looking at O-Lineman. In the 1st we should be looking at a pass catcher

Tiger

They have to find a way to keep Tee in stripes but unfortunately Boyd may be a casualty in the grand scheme of things. I believe the front office will find a way to keep this roster strong for years to come.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - HarleyDog - 10-01-2022

Replace Pollack.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - NATI BENGALS - 10-01-2022

Might have to let other teams find the good OL. Just keep signing quality proven NFL free agents. And throw some darts in the mid to late rounds. But don't let Tobin work out any trades and target an OL in the draft.

Traded up for Bodine and Michael Jordan. Traded back targeting Carman.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Essex Johnson - 10-03-2022

We have more important needs than a WR in 2023,, Reader has been hurt two years in a row and our DE backups seem very thin plus better to draft a OT with Williams contact coming up  good solid WRs you can find in 2-4 rounds more than DE/DT

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - Hammerstripes - 10-06-2022

(10-03-2022, 08:33 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We have more important needs than a WR in 2023,, Reader has been hurt two years in a row and our DE backups seem very thin plus better to draft a OT with Williams contact coming up  good solid WRs you can find in 2-4 rounds more than DE/DT

I don't know how true this statement is.

At some point Boyd is going to be gone.  I'd prefer not to draft a guy and pray that he works out.  There's a chance that Higgins might be gone.

After Boyd, Higgins and Chase, we really don't have anyone that is going to scare a team.  We need to get another guy on the roster that can step in and make some plays.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - samhain - 10-07-2022

If Williams and Collins don't show improvement, we will need tackles. Jonah will be up to get paid. You can't invest big money in tackles that aren't good when you are getting ready to pay players at other positions that are. They simply need to figure out how to draft OL and quick.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - HarleyDog - 10-07-2022

(09-25-2022, 06:37 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Won't matter how many they take until they fire all their current OL draft evaluators/pickers.

Jackson Carman
Jonah Williams
Billy Price
Cedric Ogbuehi
Jake Fisher

That's 5 1st-2nd round OL picks in the last 8 drafts and just brutal results.

The OL drafted in the 2nd round after Carman?
Aaron Banks (currently PFF's 6th ranked G)
Sam Cosmi (currently PFF's 17th ranked T)
Dillon Radunz (backup)
Josh Myers (currently PFF's 25th ranked C)
Creed Humphrey (currently PFF's 1st ranked C)

Can't trust the Bengals FO to find good OL in the draft. You can throw them into a haypile and somehow they seem to find a rusty needle every time when it comes to OL they like.

That’s why I think the problem is coaching. You just don’t miss on that many.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - TheLeonardLeap - 10-07-2022

(10-07-2022, 06:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That’s why I think the problem is coaching. You just don’t miss on that many.

It could be. The problem has spanned like 3 different OL Coaches, though. 

It could just be simple bad FO picks. For example, in the last 10 drafts the Jets have spent 1st-2nd round picks on QBs... Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold, Christian Hackenberg, and Geno Smith.

RE: Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft - casear2727 - 10-09-2022

3 oline after signing 3 new guys to 3 & 4 year deals and a rookie starting?  Why would we waste 3 of the 4 years we have with these draftees just for them to sit?  

Of course with our track record it would require us to draft 3-4 to find one solid guy....