Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense (/Thread-Props-to-Lou-Anarumo-and-the-Defense--33497)

Pages: 1 2

Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - Fan_in_Kettering - 10-20-2022

Think about it: No second half touchdowns allowed all season. No second half touchdowns allowed by the Chiefs in either game last year. Only permitting 18 stingy points per game on average.

When Zac Taylor hired Lou Anarumo as his first defensive coordinator I had never heard of him. Who would have thought this unheralded defensive backs coach from the New York Giants would turn the Bengals’ defense into a run-stuffing pass-snatching beast?

Honestly I’m still gobsmacked. I didn’t see this coming in 2019 or early in 2020. The defensive draft selections got better. Reputable players began arriving via free agency. Then came THE play: Von Bell demolishing JuJu Smith-Schuster in prime time; I was at that game and the hit was SO loud. Now the Cincinnati defensive roster is loaded with stars and Lou might be the best coach I’ve ever seen with respect to not just making halftime adjustments but making adjustments between possessions.

Keeping Lou in Cincinnati for a long time needs to be a high priority.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - michaelsean - 10-20-2022

I definitely thought he was a disaster the first couple years, but you are right that he quickly figures out their plan and adjusts to it. I believe Belichik who said if you wait until halftime it’s too late.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - RegularGuy22 - 10-20-2022

The D does look good but it's only 6 games in so lets see how they look after 11 more games. They kinda didn't stop Jackson in Balt late for the loss so I don't think they are HOF caliber just yet. Jackson missed 2 easy TD's to open receivers and I don't know who got beat on those plays but they did. I can understand your enthusiasm but I always try to keep a humble thought process to the entire team and season and hope for the best. Every game is a tough challenge, I never feel like "we should stomp this team."

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - casear2727 - 10-21-2022

(10-20-2022, 11:12 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: The D does look good but it's only 6 games in so lets see how they look after 11 more games. They kinda didn't stop Jackson in Balt late for the loss so I don't think they are HOF caliber just yet. Jackson missed 2 easy TD's to open receivers and I don't know who got beat on those plays but they did. I can understand your enthusiasm but I always try to keep a humble thought process to the entire team and season and hope for the best. Every game is a tough challenge, I never feel like "we should stomp this team."

It's more than 6 games...

"Cincy's 3rd quarter D is absurd, in their last 14 games, they've held their opponents to the following point totals in the 3rd quarter:

0, 0, 0, 3, 7, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 3, 3, 3

that's 22 total points in 14 games, lowest in the NFL."

Warren Sharp

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - Go Cards - 10-21-2022

(10-20-2022, 10:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Think about it: No second half touchdowns allowed all season.  No second half touchdowns allowed by the Chiefs in either game last year.  Only permitting 18 stingy points per game on average.

When Zac Taylor hired Lou Anarumo as his first defensive coordinator I had never heard of him.  Who would have thought this unheralded defensive backs coach from the New York Giants would turn the Bengals’ defense into a run-stuffing pass-snatching beast?

Honestly I’m still gobsmacked.  I didn’t see this coming in 2019 or early in 2020.  The defensive draft selections got better.  Reputable players began arriving via free agency.  Then came THE play: Von Bell demolishing JuJu Smith-Schuster in prime time; I was at that game and the hit was SO loud. Now the Cincinnati defensive roster is loaded with stars and Lou might be the best coach I’ve ever seen with respect to not just making halftime adjustments but making adjustments between possessions.

100%

Plus without the heart and soul of Bengals run defense Mr. Reader

(10-21-2022, 12:01 AM)casear2727 Wrote: It's more than 6 games...

"Cincy's 3rd quarter D is absurd, in their last 14 games, they've held their opponents to the following point totals in the 3rd quarter:

0, 0, 0, 3, 7, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 3, 3, 3

that's 22 total points in 14 games, lowest in the NFL."

Warren Sharp

and that's against the

Rams
Chiefs (twice)
Ravens (twice)
Titans
Steelers
Raiders
Browns
Cowboys
Dolphins
Jets
Bronco's 
Saints

His halftime adjustments are money. Know they can't keep that pace up forever but still, Wow.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - Sled21 - 10-21-2022

"Reaches back and pats self on back"...... I've supported Lou since the day he was hired. When most were claiming he was only hired because no goodDC would work for Zac, I had a feeling he was going to prove everyone wrong. When he started paring out the big name old timers who didn't want to play in his system (looking at you Dunlap and Radio) and brought in players who could excel in his schemes, he proved he was the man for the job.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - SHRacerX - 10-21-2022

(10-20-2022, 10:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Think about it: No second half touchdowns allowed all season.  No second half touchdowns allowed by the Chiefs in either game last year.  Only permitting 18 stingy points per game on average.

When Zac Taylor hired Lou Anarumo as his first defensive coordinator I had never heard of him.  Who would have thought this unheralded defensive backs coach from the New York Giants would turn the Bengals’ defense into a run-stuffing pass-snatching beast?

Honestly I’m still gobsmacked.  I didn’t see this coming in 2019 or early in 2020.  The defensive draft selections got better.  Reputable players began arriving via free agency.  Then came THE play: Von Bell demolishing JuJu Smith-Schuster in prime time; I was at that game and the hit was SO loud. Now the Cincinnati defensive roster is loaded with stars and Lou might be the best coach I’ve ever seen with respect to not just making halftime adjustments but making adjustments between possessions.

It is funny.  I thought the same thing about Zimmer, then his successor, Pauly.  But sometimes coaches lose the connection with the team or can't adapt with the NFL changing.  Right now, Lou has been a great DC and I hope he stays for a long time and he keeps getting guys that buy in.

He has been a really important part of what has turned things around here.  

And I completely agree about the hit by Bell.  It was like the bully that always stole the lunch money got punched in the face.  

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - Garrus - 10-21-2022

They've been very good for sure. If the offense becomes more consistent, we should be a tough team to beat. They are very much a bend but don't break defense. Good for most of the game, but not so good if you need an end of game stop when the other team needs a FG. That is my only knock against them, is they do give those last-minute drives up a lot. If the offense was better though, I doubt we would have many of those however.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - RegularGuy22 - 10-21-2022

Ahhh, I didn't realize it was for a 14 game stretch. Thought it was for this season and 6 games in. Pretty impressive, lets hope they keep it close to that and if this O can hit on all 8 cyl it should be fun to watch. Here's hoping.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - QueenCity - 10-21-2022

Lou is as good as gone.... the success his defense has had the last two years makes him HC worthy.

Let's hope theres a coach on the roster than can continue this scheme or Bengals pay for a stud coordinator to come in.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - PhilHos - 10-21-2022

(10-21-2022, 10:30 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Lou is as good as gone.... the success his defense has had the last two years makes him HC worthy.

Let's hope theres a coach on the roster than can continue this scheme or Bengals pay for a stud coordinator to come in.

Don't be so sure. Marvin Lewis was a fantastic defensive coordinator and it still took him years and multiple HC interviews before he finally landed in Cincy as our HC.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - Wyche'sWarrior - 10-21-2022

I liked what I saw from some alignment and scheme standpoint, but he didn't have the personnel to execute what he wanted to do. I totally understand the fans perspective of changing things to match your talent vs trying to make the talent adjust to you. It's a patience thing. With all of the losing, I get that too. On the flip, I understand them wanting to see how their philosophy would work. He's been a surprise though, no doubt.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - casear2727 - 10-21-2022

(10-21-2022, 10:30 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Lou is as good as gone.... the success his defense has had the last two years makes him HC worthy.

The new head coach trend is young offensive guys. The Chargers are the exception and that is not working out so well.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - QueenCity - 10-21-2022

(10-21-2022, 10:36 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Don't be so sure. Marvin Lewis was a fantastic defensive coordinator and it still took him years and multiple HC interviews before he finally landed in Cincy as our HC.

(10-21-2022, 10:59 AM)casear2727 Wrote: The new head coach trend is young offensive guys. The Chargers are the exception and that is not working out so well.

Would love to keep him and yes I understand the trend but there is still some old school football guys in the front offices of NFL teams.

I'd absolutely hate it but if the Steelers ever decided to move on from Mike Tomlin that is one team would be interested IMO

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - Truck_1_0_1_ - 10-21-2022

(10-21-2022, 01:24 AM)Go Cards Wrote: and that's against the

Rams
Chiefs (twice)
Ravens (twice)
Titans
Steelers
Raiders
Browns
Cowboys
Dolphins
Jets
Bronco's
Saints

His halftime adjustments are money. Know they can't keep that pace up forever but still, Wow.

Broncos*** were the last team that scored on us, in the 2nd half.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - KillerGoose - 10-21-2022

(10-21-2022, 11:59 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Broncos*** were the last team that scored on us, in the 2nd half.

The Rams scored the 4th quarter, go ahead TD in the Super unless I am misunderstanding the conversation. 

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - tms - 10-21-2022

I definitely want to give the D credit. No second-half touchdowns seems impressive. But I don't hear enough about the fact that we're playing from behind a lot. Of course offenses will slow down- especially with all the backup QBs we've played- as they try to eat the clock and play "not to lose." It's not like we're stuffing a RZ juggernaut. But still, no touchdowns allowed is no touchdowns allowed. You can't play better than that. I see both sides.

RE: Props to Lou Anarumo and the Defense - PhilHos - 10-21-2022

(10-21-2022, 12:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Rams scored the 4th quarter, go ahead TD in the Super unless I am misunderstanding the conversation. 

I think the confusion comes from the 14 game stat is just 3rd quarter scores, not 2nd half scores.

(10-21-2022, 11:59 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Broncos*** were the last team that scored on us, in the 2nd half.

a TD yes, and that was 10 games ago

Just crazy