Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: { All Things Biden & Trump } (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-All-Things-Biden-Trump)
+---- Thread: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges (/Thread-Jan-6-Committee-refers-Trump-and-others-for-criminal-charges)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - ochocincos - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 11:33 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: I never want to question the best moderator on this website, but did not DJT receive more votes in 2020 than in 2016?  Mellow

He did, but here's some worthwhile statistics:

Number of registered voters:
2016 - 157.6 mill
2020 - 168.31 mill

2016 election popular vote:
Clinton - 65.85 mill
Trump - 62.99 mill
Total - 128.84 mill

2020 election popular vote:
Biden - 81.28 mill
Trump - 74.22 mill
Total - 155.5 mill

Trump only won in 2016 due to the way the Electoral College works. If it was purely off popular vote, Clinton would have won. Trump lost that election purely off popular vote.
In 2020, Trump did have many more votes than in 2016, but there were more registered voters, and many more registered voters actually cared to vote in 2020 compared to 2016. That's why Trump lost.

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - BengalYankee - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 12:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He did, but here's some worthwhile statistics:

2016 - 157.6 mill
2020 - 168.31 mill

Clinton - 65.85 mill
Trump - 62.99 mill
Total - 128.84 mill

Biden - 81.28 mill
Trump - 74.22 mill
Total - 155.5 mill

Trump only won in 2016 due to the way the Electoral College works. If it was purely off popular vote, Clinton would have won. Trump lost that election purely off popular vote.
In 2020, Trump did have many more votes than in 2016, but there were more registered voters, and many more registered voters actually cared to vote in 2020 compared to 2016. That's why Trump lost.

Thank you, sir. 

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - SunsetBengal - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 11:33 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: I never want to question the best moderator on this website, but did not DJT receive more votes in 2020 than in 2016?  Mellow

He did, and that is why for many the number of votes that Biden received seemed so suspicious.

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - pally - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He did, and that is why for many the number of votes that Biden received seemed so suspicious.

young people (18-29) came out and voted (8% growth over 2016) and overwhelmingly for Biden...which of course why so many red states legislatures are working very hard to make it very difficult for college students to vote

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - Luvnit2 - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 12:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He did, but here's some worthwhile statistics:

2016 - 157.6 mill
2020 - 168.31 mill

Clinton - 65.85 mill
Trump - 62.99 mill
Total - 128.84 mill

Biden - 81.28 mill
Trump - 74.22 mill
Total - 155.5 mill

Why does Biden and the liberals continue to go after a former POTUS legally versus letting voters decide? Why do Democrats and Biden not try and unite 74 million Trump voters?  

Popular vote - 2 states California (+5.1 million) and NY (+1.9 million) = the popular vote margin of victory. The founders got it right, electoral college and not popular vote is correct method for POTUS other wise 2 states could dictate every race leaving the other states with zero to say about the winner.

Obama said he would unite us, yet still after leaving office still attacks Republicans and is the great divider. Biden boasted him would unite all voters, we are still deeply divided as Biden attacks Trump supporters and anyone (press) who do not kiss his ring.

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - ochocincos - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 01:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why does Biden and the liberals continue to go after a former POTUS legally versus letting voters decide? Why do Democrats and Biden not try and unite 74 million Trump voters?  

Popular vote - 2 states California (+5.1 million) and NY (+1.9 million) = the popular vote margin of victory. The founders got it right, electoral college and not popular vote is correct method for POTUS other wise 2 states could dictate every race leaving the other states with zero to say about the winner.

Obama said he would unite us, yet still after leaving office still attacks Republicans and is the great divider. Biden boasted him would unite all voters, we are still deeply divided as Biden attacks Trump supporters and anyone (press) who do not kiss his ring.

Why are you punishing the states that have the most people?
The states with the most people SHOULD get the most say, as every person's vote should count just as much as everyone else.
Why is it that just because California votes heavily Democrat that an individual's vote should be any less valuable than someone from Ohio?

And before you mention that the electoral college does give more of its votes to the larger populated states, it's never quite as reflective as the actual population percentages.
For example, California makes up 10.0% of the electoral college votes (54/538). However, California has 11.7% of the population.

Doesn't it also suck that if you are in a predominantly liberal or conservative state and you have an opposite stance that your vote essentially doesn't matter for the presidential election? Hard to be motivated to even bother voting if you know your candidate won't have a chance in hell of winning because of how the electoral college works.

As for why liberals continue to attack Trump after being out of office, it's two things:
1) A (former) president should not get preferential treatment over anyone else. If they committed any crimes, they should be held accountable just like everyone else.
2) Especially after seeing Trump's demeanor in his presidential term, many worry about what will happen to the country if he were to become president again. I don't think you would see the same for all candidates who are Republican. They never treated McCain, Romney, or Bush that way because they are more professional and respectful in the way they act and talk, unlike Trump.

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - Truck_1_0_1_ - 06-19-2023

Pardon my ignorance, but does Paul Gosar have Parkinson's?

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - Nately120 - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 01:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why are you punishing the states that have the most people?
The states with the most people SHOULD get the most say, as every person's vote should count just as much as everyone else.
Why is it that just because California votes heavily Democrat that an individual's vote should be any less valuable than someone from Ohio?

And before you mention that the electoral college does give more of its votes to the larger populated states, it's never quite as reflective as the actual population percentages.
For example, California makes up 10.0% of the electoral college votes (54/538). However, California has 11.7% of the population.

Doesn't it also suck that if you are in a predominantly liberal or conservative state and you have an opposite stance that your vote essentially doesn't matter for the presidential election? Hard to be motivated to even bother voting if you know your candidate won't have a chance in hell of winning because of how the electoral college works.

As for why liberals continue to attack Trump after being out of office, it's two things:
1) A (former) president should not get preferential treatment over anyone else. If they committed any crimes, they should be held accountable just like everyone else.
2) Especially after seeing Trump's demeanor in his presidential term, many worry about what will happen to the country if he were to become president again. I don't think you would see the same for all candidates who are Republican. They never treated McCain, Romney, or Bush that way because they are more professional and respectful in the way they act and talk, unlike Trump.

I don't understand why conservatives talk about how great it is that states get the power to choose the president while simultaneously laughing about people leaving NY and California for "red states."  Isn't that a part of why AZ went from red to blue?  Same with GA maybe? 

If all the extra "worthless" blue votes in CA and NY spread out the electoral college could be a bust, too.  Biden won CA by 29.2% and NY by 23.1% while Trump's biggest EC votes came from TX and FL which he won by 5.6% and 3.4% respectively.  If liberals leave CA and NY for FL and TX we could see the GOP starting to talk about how the electoral college isn't realty the best way to determine the president, either. 

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - Arturo Bandini - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 02:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Pardon my ignorance, but does Paul Gosar have Parkinson's?

Nah it's just too much daylight. 

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - Luvnit2 - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 01:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why are you punishing the states that have the most people?

You don't, that is why you have states that can do their own thing, otherwise the US could be one state, but makes no sense as too many people have different views.

As for Trump, Democrats disrespected him before he became POTUS and never stopped. It is almost like they want a civil war. Someone once said how does that look? I think it would look like groups of people targeting and killing their political opponents. I pray that never happens, but that is my fear and why the right will never give up their guns voluntarily to the US government.

(06-19-2023, 02:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't understand why conservatives talk about how great it is that states get the power to choose the president while simultaneously laughing about people leaving NY and California for "red states."  Isn't that a part of why AZ went from red to blue?  Same with GA maybe? 

If all the extra "worthless" blue votes in CA and NY spread out the electoral college could be a bust, too.  Biden won CA by 29.2% and NY by 23.1% while Trump's biggest EC votes came from TX and FL which he won by 5.6% and 3.4% respectively.  If liberals leave CA and NY for FL and TX we could see the GOP starting to talk about how the electoral college isn't realty the best way to determine the president, either. 

This is exactly it though.

People don't want to have to move states just because of having their vote matter more.

Get rid of the stupid electoral college and count every vote equally.
If you can't win the popular vote, you don't deserve to get elected, IMO.

(06-19-2023, 02:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You don't, that is why you have states that can do their own thing, otherwise the US could be one state, but makes no sense as too many people have different views.

As for Trump, Democrats disrespected him before he became POTUS and never stopped. It is almost like they want a civil war. Someone once said how does that look? I think it would look like groups of people targeting and killing their political opponents. I pray that never happens, but that is my fear and why the right will never give up their guns voluntarily to the US government.

Did Republicans not do the exact same thing to Obama and Biden?

Many liberals (and definitely some traditional conservatives) never felt like Trump was ever fit to be president.
Many conservatives never felt that Obama and/or Biden were fit to be president either.

Why would prosecuting a (former) president for potential crimes committed need to result in a civil war? Just because a segment of the population doesn't feel like the guy did anything wrong?
The optimist in me would like to think those investigating Trump and even getting to the point of prosecuting him believe they have (more than) sufficient evidence of the conviction, knowing how big of a deal it is to be doing this to someone who is a (former) president.

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - Nately120 - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 02:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is exactly it though.

People don't want to have to move states just because of having their vote matter more.

Or more giant corporate firms move to TX and it becomes a swing state that becomes a "win it and you still may lose, lose it and you're totally screwed" state for the GOP.  It really depends on if Trump's winning of the rust belt in PA, MI, and WI that went right back to blue in 2020 can be re-attained or can be attained by a member of the GOP who isn't Trump.

The top states sending (probably GOP?) voters to FL are NY, GA, PA, OH, CA, and then TX is at #8.  Florida could in theory become the GOP's CA, wherein they "waste" a bunch of popular votes there that could be more advantageous being used to win the rust belt and keep TX safe.  Once the GOP starts losing elections because they are winning states with big EC values by 20%+ then  I think we'd see them want to change things up.  Until then?  Bidness as usual.

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - Dill - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 01:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why does Biden and the liberals continue to go after a former POTUS legally versus letting voters decide? Why do Democrats and Biden not try and unite 74 million Trump voters?  

I believe this question has been answered for you. 

You are asking why someone who has evidently broken the law, many laws in fact, should be investigated if he is running for office.

It is because no one is above the law; everyone who apparently has broken the law should be investigated, and if indicted, tried, and if tried, judged.

If an exception is made for people running for office, then anyone could delay delay delay by declaring candidacy. 

Both Obama and Biden did attempt unite voters.  Republican leaders and many of the rank and file did not want that. 
"Uniting the voters" does not mean you cannot criticize the other side's politics, especially if they are coming at you everyday. 

(06-19-2023, 02:58 PM)Dill Wrote: I believe this question has been answered for you. 

You are asking why someone who has evidently broken the law, many laws in fact, should be investigated if he is running for office.

It is because no one is above the law; everyone who apparently has broken the law should be investigated, and if indicted, tried, and if tried, judged.

If an exception is made for people running for office, then anyone could delay delay delay by declaring candidacy. 

Both Obama and Biden did attempt unite voters.  Republican leaders and many of the rank and file did not want that. 
"Uniting the voters" does not mean you cannot criticize the other side's politics, especially if they are coming at you everyday. 

If I may overly-mundane-ize this situation...Trump is also being investigated because he is applying for a job, president, that involves having access to the most dangerous top secret information our country has.  This is completely standard stuff, really.  I have a job of low importance and I was subject to a pre-hiring investigation that took months before I got it. I've been interviewed by federal agents about positions in the government and military that my friends were being considered for.

I've also had people I know who haven't paid their federal taxes, or they have DUIs or domestic incidents or other issues ask me if they should apply for the same job I have.  I tell them they might not want to leave the private sector.  I know someone who has multiple DUIs and his wife called the police on him damn near weekly at one point...he own his own landscaping business and does very well for himself.  He shouldn't expect to get even a mop and bucket job with the government, though.

This is completely normal stuff...if you don't want the government sifting through your life you shouldn't be vying to join their ranks in a position that requires you to handle sensitive information.  Trump's history is pretty standard for a guy who can work for himself but shouldn't be allowed anywhere near even the most benign of government information.  Just my 2 cents.  But he's free too want to apply for the job, but he's got to be vetted first.  Standard procedure regardless of which political side you're on.

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - Truck_1_0_1_ - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 02:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is exactly it though.

While I agree with your position, the Electoral College is a fantastic idea... if there are 4+ parties running, as there were when the constitution was written. But when the vote ultimately comes down to 2 parties, popular vote is indeed the way to go.

Like here in Canada: we have 4+ parties running every election and we have a similar thing to the Electoral College. Here, it makes sense.

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - Dill - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 02:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You don't, that is why you have states that can do their own thing, otherwise the US could be one state, but makes no sense as too many people have different views.

I don't want to scrap the electoral college. I'm with you on that.

But as for your second paragraph, you write as if Trump were just a normal guy, like Bob Dole or Reagan or Jeb Bush, and Democrats (along with 15% of the Republican party, just started ragging on him for no reason. 

BEFORE he declared for the presidency he was a showman celebrity on his 3rd wife, with five bankruptcies and guilty of some very public grift, including the fake Trump University, and given to lying daily about easily fact checked subjects ("I was man of the year in Michigan").  Pronouncements like "We should have kept the oil" and "Mexico will pay for the wall" showed he had little grasp of international law and foreign policy. And we haven't even gotten to the Hollywood Access tape and the Stormy Daniels controversy or his mimicking a disabled reporter. No candidate has ever come to office with that kind of baggage.

Then there was the infamous and childish tweet comparing his model wife to Ted Cruz's. You say Democrats disrespected Trump, but what were Cruz, Bush and Lindsay Graham saying about him--not to mention a number of Republican commentators, formerly Fox News darlings? To a man they thought him UNFIT for the presidency in terms of character, judgment and preparation. 

And they were right. Yet somehow you think its Democrats who pose the threat of civil war, and not the guy who launched a fully developed plot to overturn an election, in part by calling a crowd of supporters to Washington and, knowing many were armed, siccing them on the Capitol to "take back" their country.

(06-19-2023, 03:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If I may overly-mundane-ize this situation...Trump is also being investigated because he is applying for a job, president, that involves having access to the most dangerous top secret information our country has.  This is completely standard stuff, really.  I have a job of low importance and I was subject to a pre-hiring investigation that took months before I got it. I've been interviewed by federal agents about positions in the government and military that my friends were being considered for.

I've also had people I know who haven't paid their federal taxes, or they have DUIs or domestic incidents or other issues ask me if they should apply for the same job I have.  I tell them they might not want to leave the private sector.  I know someone who has multiple DUIs and his wife called the police on him damn near weekly at one point...he own his own landscaping business and does very well for himself.  He shouldn't expect to get even a mop and bucket job with the government, though.

This is completely normal stuff...if you don't want the government sifting through your life you shouldn't be vying to join their ranks in a position that requires you to handle sensitive information.  Trump's history is pretty standard for a guy who can work for himself but shouldn't be allowed anywhere near even the most benign of government information.  Just my 2 cents.  But he's free too want to apply for the job, but he's got to be vetted first.  Standard procedure regardless of which political side you're on.

Yow! well said. all of it. Especially the bolded. 

That is probably the most important point at this juncture, given his scofflaw approach to the highest intel in the land and the power to mess with it on a whim. 

Fact is, if Trump weren't an ex president, he'd have been in jail last year for stealing those documents. 

Or even if there weren't a powerful RWM "working the ref" day after day for years, so the FBI is painfully slow in investigation and prosecution.

RE: Jan 6 Committee refers Trump (and others) for criminal charges - pally - 06-19-2023

The electoral college fails in part because Congress manipulated it. The authors of the Constitution intended for the House of Representatives to grow with the country. They recommended a House district size of 30,000 persons. And in the Constitution the word person being used is important. They didn't specify CITIZEN allowing for the House to represent non-citizens as well. In 1929, Congress capped the number of members at 435. This has resulted in the most populous states being shorted members of Congress.

California's population is 69 times larger than Wyoming's but instead of 69 members of the House they get 52

And that's only if they keep it proportional. If they go back to the recommended 30000 persons sized districts. Wyoming should have 10 representatives but California should have 1300 members.

Whichever way you look at it electorally, the people of California and other larger states are getting screwed. And the people of America get a tilted Electoral College because of it.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Donald Trump had a responsibility to this country. In early November, a fair election had him losing. He refused to admit it. He lost via the courts as well dozens of times. Yet, KNOWING that he lost, he orchestrated Jan 6th in order to overthrow the election by force. And finally, he refused to attend the inauguration despite 200 years of peaceful exchanges of power from one president to the next. He even was so petty as to send home the White House domestic staff on Jan 20 so that there was no one to completely move the Biden's in and no one to meet them at the door.
To this day he and his loyal cult refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of the Biden presidency. And you ask why Biden has not succeeded in uniting the country. Like I said Donald Trump has a responsibility too. And at each and every opportunity when forced to choose between personal wants, desires, and needs and the country's wants, desires, and needs he was unfailingly chosen himself over the country every time.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

His current arrest has far more to do with right and wrong than right or left. The man trusted with the county's highest secrets; The man who had a responsibility to uphold the laws of this country, basically told Americans F*** it. He was provided far more leeway than any ordinary citizen would have. Let a jury of "real" Americans decide his fate.

I don't even know why we are bothering talking about the popular vote versus electoral college.  The GOP is currently under either spell or threat to refuse that the electoral college is even a representation of the will of the people, with no indication that is going to change any time soon. So as long as we have 2 political parties and one of them only believes the will of the people is served by their side winning it's all moot.

GOP in 2016 - You won the popular vote but the EC is what counts when it comes to selecting the president.
GOP in 2020 - It was rigged.

Gee, that whole "THE EC IS WHAT COUNTS!" thing lasted a grand 1 election before it got tossed out on it's arse...what changed?  Hmmm....

Actually I take it back, word is that the EC still counts as long as republicans can just send a handful of people to decide that the entire state really meant to vote for the republican candidate.