Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Game Narrative This Week - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Game Narrative This Week (/Thread-Game-Narrative-This-Week)

Pages: 1 2 3

Game Narrative This Week - BillsGuy1986 - 01-20-2023

Hello my friends,

This is a weird game to predict in that the two teams are in different spots than they were on Jan 2nd. The sentiment around this game confuses me a bit.

1. Is the absence of three potential starting linemen of the Bengals being overblown? Obviously, there will be an impact, but Burrow gets the ball out an average of 2.4 seconds, which is second fastest in the NFL only to Tom Brady. That should mitigate the pass blocking weakness quite a bit. As far as run-blocking, the Bills have steadily improved recently but who knows what Mixon will be able to accomplish since the Dolphins were injured at RB.

2. The Bengals D-line is formidable and the Bills O line was a massive disappointment against the Dolphins. Allen held on to the Ball too long against the Dolphin' s blitz last week. If the Bengals get pressure with 4 I don't know if the Bills can overcome the challenge since Allen has been playing too much Hero ball.

3. I believe the Bengals were on pace to smoke the Bills on Jan 2nd. Taron Johnson was our best player against the Dolphins and he got knocked out with a concussion Jan 2nd which completely threw the defense into disarray. Bills D play base Nickle because Taron Johnson is an uncharacteristically great run defender and nickle corner. He is back and healthy. Tre White is also playing better although Chase embarrassed him on the Bengal's opening drive Jan 2nd.

My Prediction: A surprising defensive struggle for at least the first half. I think whoever gets a big special teams play or key turnover will end up winning the game.

Its too bad this is the divisional round, I think both teams are better than Kansas City and maybe the Eagles. I also hope Carl Cheffers doesn't insert himself into the game. Appreciate any Bengals fan's takes on my comments. Good Luck Sunday.

RE: Game Narrative This Week - leonardfan40 - 01-20-2023

I do think people are overreacting to the bengals o line injuries. They definitely hurt us, but I’d still take this line over the one we had last year that took us to the Super Bowl and within a second or so of winning it.

I honestly have no idea how the game plays out. Could see a low scoring defensive struggle like you mentioned-that’s probably the smart bet honestly. The bengals in the playoffs the last two years have been a lot of just that, defense plays great, game is very close and Burrow comes up clutch when needed. Wouldn’t shock me one bit to see more of that. Also wouldn’t surprise me to see the final be 38-35 or something like that with these QB’s and playmakers on both teams.

I think the key for the Bills is to protect the ball. If Allen and the offense can keep from turning it over they’ll be in a good spot. If they turn it over multiple times they’re in trouble. The bengals have come up with very timely turnovers when needed the last two years and they don’t lose those game when they get them.

What happened in the 10 minutes they played a few weeks ago doesn’t mean anything at this point. A lot has changed since then and the game will play out very different than that one would have if it went the distance.

RE: Game Narrative This Week - michaelsean - 01-20-2023

I don't have a guess except that I think it will be fairly high scoring. Usually I have a feeling, which may or may not turn out to be correct, but this week I have no feeling one way or the other.

RE: Game Narrative This Week - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 04:54 PM)BillsGuy1986 Wrote: Hello my friends,

This is a weird game to predict in that the two teams are in different spots than they were on Jan 2nd. The sentiment around this game confuses me a bit.

1. Is the absence of three potential starting linemen of the Bengals being overblown? Obviously, there will be an impact, but Burrow gets the ball out an average of 2.4 seconds, which is second fastest in the NFL only to Tom Brady. That should mitigate the pass blocking weakness quite a bit. As far as run-blocking, the Bills have steadily improved recently but who knows what Mixon will be able to accomplish since the Dolphins were injured at RB.

2. The Bengals D-line is formidable and the Bills O line was a massive disappointment against the Dolphins. Allen held on to the Ball too long against the Dolphin' s blitz last week. If the Bengals get pressure with 4 I don't know if the Bills can overcome the challenge since Allen has been playing too much Hero ball.

3. I believe the Bengals were on pace to smoke the Bills on Jan 2nd. Taron Johnson was our best player against the Dolphins and he got knocked out with a concussion Jan 2nd which completely threw the defense into disarray. Bills D play base Nickle because Taron Johnson is an uncharacteristically great run defender and nickle corner. He is back and healthy. Tre White is also playing better although Chase embarrassed him on the Bengal's opening drive Jan 2nd.

My Prediction: A surprising defensive struggle for at least the first half. I think whoever gets a big special teams play or key turnover will end up winning the game.

Its too bad this is the divisional round, I think both teams are better than Kansas City and maybe the Eagles. I also hope Carl Cheffers doesn't insert himself into the game. Appreciate any Bengals fan's takes on my comments. Good Luck Sunday.

Now you, you are probably the main reason why I have liked Bills fans so much. Needed you on here with your rationality 
and just plain respect that we always give you 86. I think all of your thoughts have merit, especially Taron Johnson who has
been your best player on Defense I have seen lately by far. Ed Oliver The Riddler, Milano and White are good too though.

Nice thread that should bring back some respect to Bills fans after a few came on the board only to troll and smack talk.

Rock on BillsGuy1986.  Rock On

RE: Game Narrative This Week - BillsGuy1986 - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 05:15 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I do think people are overreacting to the bengals o line injuries. They definitely hurt us, but I’d still take this line over the one we had last year that took us to the Super Bowl and within a second or so of winning it.

I honestly have no idea how the game plays out. Could see a low scoring defensive struggle like you mentioned-that’s probably the smart bet honestly. The bengals in the playoffs the last two years have been a lot of just that, defense plays great, game is very close and Burrow comes up clutch when needed. Wouldn’t shock me one bit to see more of that. Also wouldn’t surprise me to see the final be 38-35 or something like that with these QB’s and playmakers on both teams.

I think the key for the Bills is to protect the ball. If Allen and the offense can keep from turning it over they’ll be in a good spot. If they turn it over multiple times they’re in trouble. The bengals have come up with very timely turnovers when needed the last two years and they don’t lose those game when they get them.

What happened in the 10 minutes they played a few weeks ago doesn’t mean anything at this point. A lot has changed since then and the game will play out very different than that one would have if it went the distance.

I agree 100% leonard, the bengals line won't be as big of an issue everyone has made it out to be, although i'm sure there will have some negative plays.

As far as turnovers, yeah, Allen has reverted a bit to Rookie Allen where he does too much, he said he would clean that up but who knows.

Jan 2nd does mean nothing (except emotionally, maybe) its crazy just how much has changed in 2 games.

RE: Game Narrative This Week - BillsGuy1986 - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 10:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Now you, you are probably the main reason why I have liked Bills fans so much. Needed you on here with your rationality 
and just plain respect that we always give you 86. I think all of your thoughts have merit, especially Taron Johnson who has
been your best player on Defense I have seen lately by far. Ed Oliver The Riddler, Milano and White are good too though.

Nice thread that should bring back some respect to Bills fans after a few came on the board only to troll and smack talk.

Rock on BillsGuy1986.  Rock On

thank you, Nate. Always a pleasure to talk football with other team's fans and Bengals fans have been among the nicest i've met in person.

As for my fellow Bills fans, i do find it mildly amusing. They must be young. We don't have much to brag about and have notoriously painful moments that can be summed up in a couple words. 13 seconds, music city miracle, wide right, 4 superbowls, just give it to them etc... even the hockey team has no goal.

I am making Skyline Chili for the tailgate, we'll see if i can do it justice.

Legit question: What do fans think about Burrow and the team always taking the ball when they win the Toss?

RE: Game Narrative This Week - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 01-20-2023

Our defensive line is completely healthy now right? Hendrickson (is his wrist completely healed now?), Hubbard, and Reader?

Plus Ossai has flashed, Sample hasn't been too bad, Tupou or Tufele one looked pretty good for the stretch where Reader was missing.

I feel like we ought to have a more dominant line than we appear to stat wise. A lot of good starters and decent young guys to rotate in behind them.

Just thank God Von Miller is out. I think when we win the fact he was missing will be the reason. Miller probably could have caused us to have a Titans kind of game with a ton of sacks

RE: Game Narrative This Week - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 11:11 PM)BillsGuy1986 Wrote: thank you, Nate. Always a pleasure to talk football with other team's fans and Bengals fans have been among the nicest i've met in person.

As for my fellow Bills fans, i do find it mildly amusing. They must be young. We don't have much to brag about and have notoriously painful moments that can be summed up in a couple words. 13 seconds, music city miracle, wide right, 4 superbowls, just give it to them etc... even the hockey team has no goal.

Legit question: What do fans think about Burrow and the team always taking the ball when they win the Toss?

You are welcome my friend. For sure they have to be young, like teenagers or somethin'. Have to go through the hardships like the
rest of us Bill and Bengal fans did to have the respect. Cool on making some Skyline Chili. Good stuff.

To your last question, it is about aggression. We have that much confidence in scoring on the opening drive, problem is, our OL is 
not our strength. I would dial that back a bit, but hey, since we have been doing it, we have won a lot of games in a row. 

Personally, I love the aggression and expect it once again on Sunday going against a high powered Offense in you guys. We will 
treat you guys the same as the Chiefs and the last time we opened up. Just the way we play, fun to watch for us if we score, fun 
for the other team if we don't, who get the ball to start the 2nd half lol

Hostile croed - swilson3828 - 01-20-2023

This is an away game obviously, but I don't necessarily expect a "hostile" crowd from Buffalo. I expect fans that is cheering for their Bills, but I also expect Buffalo fans, if the Bengals by chance win, to pull for the Bengals to take it all. The Bengals gave their Bills their first playoff game in years when they surprised the Ravens a couple of years ago, and then you have all of the Hamlin stuff. It's an away game, but, to me, this is as much of a neutral game as any NFL team could even hope to imagine. Buffalo or Cincinnati fan......will be the fan of the winner of this game to win the Super Bowl.

RE: Hostile croed - Go Cards - 01-21-2023

Believe it will be a hostile crowd, but see their fans pulling for Bengals if there is no serious discrepancy on how the game is won.

Do believe there will be some sort of love shown to the Bengals before kickoff though.

RE: Game Narrative This Week - Go Cards - 01-21-2023

(01-20-2023, 11:11 PM)BillsGuy1986 Wrote: thank you, Nate. Always a pleasure to talk football with other team's fans and Bengals fans have been among the nicest i've met in person.

Skyline dip is the best way to go imho. 

Agree with Nate that the aggression and confidence in taking the ball first is admirable, yet I'm not a huge fan of always taking this approach.  

RE: Game Narrative This Week - michaelsean - 01-21-2023

I still remember wide right.

Message boards can bring out some asses, but I’ve never met a Bills fan in person who acted like a jerk. Always cool.

So let’s have it. Best wings?

RE: Game Narrative This Week - BillsGuy1986 - 01-21-2023

(01-20-2023, 11:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are welcome my friend. For sure they have to be young, like teenagers or somethin'. Have to go through the hardships like the
rest of us Bill and Bengal fans did to have the respect. Cool on making some Skyline Chili. Good stuff.

To your last question, it is about aggression. We have that much confidence in scoring on the opening drive, problem is, our OL is 
not our strength. I would dial that back a bit, but hey, since we have been doing it, we have won a lot of games in a row. 

Personally, I love the aggression and expect it once again on Sunday going against a high powered Offense in you guys. We will 
treat you guys the same as the Chiefs and the last time we opened up. Just the way we play, fun to watch for us if we score, fun 
for the other team if we don't, who get the ball to start the 2nd half lol

I think we've had enough hardships lol, hope one of us finally punches through.

Your point about aggression makes sense, you'd think that would be what football is all about. 

Although, at some point the Bengals will have a turnover or punt on the first drive, and then the pressure flips if the other team scores. I always thought the logic of deferring made more sense but its been working for you guys so who cares.

(01-20-2023, 11:40 PM)swilson3828 Wrote: This is an away game obviously, but I don't necessarily expect a "hostile" crowd from Buffalo.  I expect fans that is cheering for their Bills, but I also expect Buffalo fans, if the Bengals by chance win, to pull for the Bengals to take it all.  The Bengals gave their Bills their first playoff game in years when they surprised the Ravens a couple of years ago, and then you have all of the Hamlin stuff.  It's an away game, but, to me, this is as much of a neutral game as any NFL team could even hope to imagine. Buffalo or Cincinnati fan......will be the fan of the winner of this game to win the Super Bowl.

Yeah i expect a similar scene that was in Cinci with fans getting along just great. It will be loud though, but Burrow flourished in KC last year so i doubt it will effect the team much.

(01-21-2023, 12:11 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I still remember wide right.

Message boards can bring out some asses, but I’ve never met a Bills fan in person who acted like a jerk. Always cool.

So let’s have it. Best wings?

Haha, you asked the right guy. I've done "the Buffalo Wing trail" with my friends and many other places throughout the region. Scientifically conducted, the Best wings are from Bar Bill in East Aurora. Some people claim it is 911 Tavern, and its close, but Bar Bill wins, Cajun Medium my favorite.

RE: Game Narrative This Week - sandwedge - 01-21-2023

This is going to be a fun game to watch. May the best team win!

RE: Game Narrative This Week - bfine32 - 01-21-2023

I'm more concerned about our CBs than I am our Oline.

RE: Game Narrative This Week - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 01-21-2023

(01-21-2023, 12:47 AM)BillsGuy1986 Wrote: I think we've had enough hardships lol, hope one of us finally punches through.

Your point about aggression makes sense, you'd think that would be what football is all about. 

Although, at some point the Bengals will have a turnover or punt on the first drive, and then the pressure flips if the other team scores. I always thought the logic of deferring made more sense but its been working for you guys so who cares.

It's not just aggression, it's confidence. Confidence that Joe Burrow will be able to run an 8 minute, 6 minute, 4 minute or 2 minute offense to kill off a half.

Also confidence in Lou Anarumo's defense getting at least one stop if a team does get a chance of scoring on both ends of the halftime.

RE: Game Narrative This Week - Goalpost - 01-21-2023

(01-20-2023, 11:11 PM)BillsGuy1986 Wrote:  

It's more of just this team's identity.  And it's something that had to be built.  Not a given to the players, but earned.  It's a show of confidence in them.  They have the talent but it's more a faith they can execute.    

(01-21-2023, 01:10 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm more concerned about our CBs than I am our Oline.

Really? I haven't heard this take anywhere this week. Why?