Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: { All Things Biden & Trump } (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-All-Things-Biden-Trump)
+---- Thread: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness (/Thread-Biden-overstepped-his-authority-and-SC-stopped-loan-forgiveness)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - Luvnit2 - 06-30-2023

Well, the President (who said his plan to forgive student loans) had the Supreme Court strike down the Biden student loan forgiveness program. No surprise a Congress controls the purse strings, not the President of the US.

The forgiveness plan had already been struck down in Congress.

Just a little fact, Nancy Pelosi is on record saying of course the POTUS does not have the authority to cancel student debt.

Edit:

In 2022 President Biden said on 60 minutes his student loan forgiveness plan was unconstitutional. 

So, it really was a political stunt because Biden and Pelosi knew it had no chance of being accepted. They duped people and gave them false hope.

RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - KillerGoose - 06-30-2023

At this point it was expected. There had been rumblings for months that they were going to reject it so it isn’t surprising. It will be met with harsh criticism and anger for a period of time from supporters. Just curious how long that will last.

RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - Nately120 - 06-30-2023

(06-30-2023, 11:49 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: At this point it was expected. There had been rumblings for months that they were going to reject it so it isn’t surprising. It will be met with harsh criticism and anger for a period of time from supporters. Just curious how long that will last.

I don't see why his supporters would be upset, if "the other side" shot it down they'll just have incentive to double-down on voting for democrats until they can get a congress friendly enough to their cause to get it done.

It'd Biden's version of the border wall...it didn't get done as promised so you have to vote for me again if you still want it.

RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - KillerGoose - 06-30-2023

(06-30-2023, 11:51 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't see why his supporters would be upset, if "the other side" shot it down they'll just have incentive to double-down on voting for democrats until they can get a congress friendly enough to their cause to get it done.

It'd Biden's version of the border wall...it didn't get done as promised so you have to vote for me again if you still want it.

Sorry, I meant supporters of the plan will be angry with the Supreme Court.

RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - GMDino - 06-30-2023

(06-30-2023, 11:49 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: At this point it was expected. There had been rumblings for months that they were going to reject it so it isn’t surprising. It will be met with harsh criticism and anger for a period of time from supporters. Just curious how long that will last.

Hopefully through the next elections.  It would be nice if we could help citizens who are legitimately struggling instead of billionaire people and corporations.

I know, I know...wishful thinking.

RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - Luvnit2 - 06-30-2023

(06-30-2023, 11:51 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't see why his supporters would be upset, if "the other side" shot it down they'll just have incentive to double-down on voting for democrats until they can get a congress friendly enough to their cause to get it done.

This is true, they can make it a political football. Biden can blame the SC and the house. But, one problem he has, the Democratic controlled senate also voted it down.

On the flip side, his duping of people is going to create some enemies with these college students and their parents.

RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - GMDino - 06-30-2023

(06-30-2023, 11:44 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well, the President (who said his plan to forgive student loans) had the Supreme Court strike down the Biden student loan forgiveness program. No surprise a Congress controls the purse strings, not the President of the US.

The forgiveness plan had already been struck down in Congress.

Just a little fact, Nancy Pelosi is on record saying of course the POTUS does not have the authority to cancel student debt.

Edit:

In 2022 President Biden said on 60 minutes his student loan forgiveness plan was unconstitutional. 

So, it really was a political stunt because Biden and Pelosi knew it had no chance of being accepted. They duped people and gave them false hope.

Did he say it was unconstutional?

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/on-60-minutes-president-biden-admits-his-student-loan-order-is-illegal/

Or did he say the Covid emergency was over on 60 Minutes and then the NR said his plan was based on Covid still being an emergency?  And that became a right wing talking point.

At least be honest in your partisan attacks. You have to do more than read headlines.

(06-30-2023, 11:55 AM)GMDino Wrote: Hopefully through the next elections.  It would be nice if we could help citizens who are legitimately struggling instead of billionaire people and corporations.

Yeah, my initial reaction was to think that this will get Democratic voters angry and could see a boost in voter turnout. However, there has been some evidence via polling that a chunk of the population has already “forgotten” about Roe v. Wade so that introduces some skepticism to that thought process for me.

It is a talking point, for sure, though. The Biden administration could pull the “They took away reproductive rights, refused to help you financially all while bailing out billionaires and corporations” or however they want to spin it up.

(06-30-2023, 12:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, my initial reaction was to think that this will get Democratic voters angry and could see a boost in voter turnout. However, there has been some evidence via polling that a chunk of the population has already “forgotten” about Roe v. Wade so that introduces some skepticism to that thought process for me.

It is a talking point, for sure, though. The Biden administration could pull the “They took away reproductive rights, refused to help you financially all while bailing out billionaires and corporations” or however they want to spin it up.

And they'd be right to say that.

But then the gop can say a couple transwomen are swimming with your daughters or something.  You know...the important stuff!

RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - Nately120 - 06-30-2023

(06-30-2023, 11:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This is true, they can make it a political football. Biden can blame the SC and the house. But, one problem he has, the Democratic controlled senate also voted it down.

Keep that in mind the next time people say how unhinged and ultra liberal our democratic party is in this country.  They bail out banks and businesses but don't break with the right in deciding that student loan debt relief is a bridge too far.

Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - pally - 06-30-2023

Too bad average Americans don't have sugar daddies to pay their bills like Thomas and Alito.

Decisions like today's others over the last couple of years and presumably next years as well will drive more and more young people to the polls...and they sure as hell won't be voting Republican

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - Luvnit2 - 06-30-2023

(06-30-2023, 11:55 AM)GMDino Wrote: Hopefully through the next elections.  It would be nice if we could help citizens who are legitimately struggling instead of billionaire people and corporations.

There are a ton of programs in place to help those with issues paying back their student loans. I guess I look at it differently, these young people need to understand if you sign a contract, you will be and accountable to honor the contract. It could be a car loan, a mortgage or a host of things. Maybe future students will work and go to college so when they get out they do not have a mountain of student debt. I am proud to say all 3 of my daughters did just that. All of them got financial aide for academics and one played Division 1 soccer at UD. My daughters worked a couple of days a week while school was in session and then got full time jobs in the summer.

Life is about choices. One of my daughters lived and home and commuted to UC main campus for 4 years. Her goal was a great education to get a great career job upon graduation. She did just that. Her goal was not to stay on campus and party. Room and board is very expensive. Again, not only did she walk away with no debt, but she had a down payment once she got married for a house 9 months after graduation.

Choices

Right now I have 7 grandchildren in college. 2 have sports scholarships and academic money. Five have scholarships (academics). All 7 of them work full time jobs in the summer. My 8th grandchild starts college at UK soon, he works 6 days a week, 2 jobs to get ready for the cost of college.  I also have to with degrees and now are working on their masters.

My kids and grandkids made choices, they make personal sacrifices. But they all decided to limit student loan debt. 

(06-30-2023, 12:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are a ton of programs in place to help those with issues paying back their student loans. I guess I look at it differently, these young people need to understand if you sign a contract, you will be and accountable to honor the contract. 

I'm not trying to convince you to support student loan relief, but we can't seriously act like everyone else who isn't a college student who signs a contract or makes a business agreement fulfills it 100% no exceptions and never gets a legal out, government aid, or federal relief.

If you can make it to a point where you can accept federal funding and assistance "for the right reasons" in this life, you've won the USA game. 

(06-30-2023, 12:08 PM)pally Wrote: Too bad average Americans don't have sugar daddies to pay their bills like Thomas and Alito.

Decisions like today's others over the last couple of years and presumably next years as well will drive more and more young people to the polls...and they sure as he'll won't be voting Republican

We will see. If I were a young college student I would very upset Biden did not deliver on a campaign promise. Biden knew this was unconstitutional but did it anyway giving false hope.

Also, just a reminder, the Democrat controlled senate voted a bill forgiving student loan debt as well.

Young people should be taught, sign a contract and yes you are liable. Why is so hard to ask people to take individual responsibility for their actions.

But, you may be correct, Democrats may flock to vote for Democrats who promised the elimination of student debt 3 years ago in the 2020 election. Or, they be disenfranchised and not vote at all.

RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - Goalpost - 06-30-2023

(06-30-2023, 12:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Keep that in mind the next time people say how unhinged and ultra liberal our democratic party is in this country.  They bail out banks and businesses but don't break with the right in deciding that student loan debt relief is a bridge too far.

There are people out there who lived with less and paid off their loans.  Do they get reimbursed?

(06-30-2023, 12:16 PM)Goalpost Wrote: There are people out there who lived with less and paid off their loans.  Do they get reimbursed?

Again, you're talking about the fairness of this as if I had a choice to help bail our banks and businesses over the past 24 years of my adult life.  I'm pointing out that just because you personally don't need this relief (nor do I, personally) doesn't mean that it is some sort of society-killing entitlement.

EDIT - I didn't realize you weren't the OP. At any rate, this isn't a new concept. It's interesting how people can see one form of bailout and say "Ehh that's ok" and another and say "Well, that's not fair." It's all not fair...or is it? Meh, it's partisan. I guess I should hate the small business bailouts during covid because I didn't need them.

(06-30-2023, 12:08 PM)pally Wrote: Too bad average Americans don't have sugar daddies to pay their bills like Thomas and Alito.

Decisions like today's others over the last couple of years and presumably next years as well will drive more and more young people to the polls...and they sure as hell won't be voting Republican

I've argued before that doing anything that gets more money in the hands of young people today will increase the number of them who move to the GOP in the future as with generations before.  Stuff like this is a short-term win for the GOP but a long term loss, which makes sense when you realize just how damn old our politicians are.

(06-30-2023, 12:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: Did he say it was unconstutional?

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/on-60-minutes-president-biden-admits-his-student-loan-order-is-illegal/

Or did he say the Covid emergency was over on 60 Minutes and then the NR said his plan was based on Covid still being an emergency?  And that became a right wing talking point.

At least be honest in your partisan attacks.  You have to do more than read headlines.

Hmmm....It is unconstitutional because it is illegal and what Biden said on 60 minutes.

(06-30-2023, 12:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are a ton of programs in place to help those with issues paying back their student loans. I guess I look at it differently, these young people need to understand if you sign a contract, you will be and accountable to honor the contract. It could be a car loan, a mortgage or a host of things. Maybe future students will work and go to college so when they get out they do not have a mountain of student debt. I am proud to say all 3 of my daughters did just that. All of them got financial aide for academics and one played Division 1 soccer at UD. My daughters worked a couple of days a week while school was in session and then got full time jobs in the summer.

Life is about choices. One of my daughters lived and home and commuted to UC main campus for 4 years. Her goal was a great education to get a great career job upon graduation. She did just that. Her goal was not to stay on campus and party. Room and board is very expensive. Again, not only did she walk away with no debt, but she had a down payment once she got married for a house 9 months after graduation.

Choices

Right now I have 7 grandchildren in college. 2 have sports scholarships and academic money. Five have scholarships (academics). All 7 of them work full time jobs in the summer. My 8th grandchild starts college at UK soon, he works 6 days a week, 2 jobs to get ready for the cost of college.  I also have to with degrees and now are working on their masters.

My kids and grandkids made choices, they make personal sacrifices. But they all decided to limit student loan debt. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-30-2023

The whole thing was a scam to buy votes IMO. Just like W's obscene $300 check for every American, Biden was bribing voters to cast ballots in his favor. He did so knowing full well he didn't have the authority to follow through. As noted even Pelosi called him out on it. In short Dem voters got played.

Also, the idea of forcing people who did not go to college to pay for the degrees of those who did is inegalitarian in the extreme. You took out a loan, pay it back.