Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida (/Thread-No-AP-Physchology-Classes-in-Florida)

Pages: 1 2

No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - pally - 08-03-2023

Florida's ban on instruction on sexual and gender identity has effectively resulted in the banning of AP Psychology classes. These classes designed for college credit for high school seniors and juniors provide a foundational discussion of these topics. A person's sexual and gender identity has profound effects on their psychological health. Removal of units to satisfy the state would result in the class no longer being accredited for college credit.

Thousands of Florida students were already signed up for this class this fall and counting on getting some college credit for the class. But apparently even 16-19 year olds are too young to learn that homosexuality and transgenderism exist.

https://newsroom.collegeboard.org/statement-ap-psychology-and-florida

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - Nately120 - 08-03-2023

I don't care what your degree says, if you thought you were going to be allowed to take an AP class in a college in Florida you are a dunce.

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - Dill - 08-04-2023

(08-03-2023, 05:02 PM)pally Wrote: The AP course asks students to “describe how sex and gender influence socialization and other aspects of development.” This element of the framework is not new: gender and sexual orientation have been part of AP Psychology since the course launched 30 years ago.

As we shared in June, we cannot modify AP Psychology in response to regulations that would censor college-level standards for credit, placement, and career readiness. Our policy remains unchanged. Any course that censors required course content cannot be labeled “AP” or “Advanced Placement,” and the “AP Psychology” designation cannot be utilized on student transcripts

Just a side note here--banning of such courses, and gender and sexual orientation a subjects of study,

seems to be de regueur for illiberal societies. 

Putin has done it in Russia and Orban has done it in Hungary. 

Don't look for it in Uganda either, where deviation from the heterosexual norm brings the death penalty. 

Authoritarians tend to like fixed boundaries--geographic AND social. 

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - pally - 08-08-2023

Hillsborough County (Tampa) has decided they will not require students to read entire Shakespearean plays instead pulling out only excepts for lesson. Apparently, even the Bard is too raunchy for Floridians

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-hillsborough/hillsborough-schools-cut-back-on-shakespeare-citing-new-florida-rules

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - GreenDragon - 08-08-2023

(08-03-2023, 05:02 PM)pally Wrote: Florida's ban on instruction on sexual and gender identity has effectively resulted in the banning of AP Psychology classes.  These classes designed for college credit for high school seniors and juniors provide a foundational discussion of these topics.  A person's sexual and gender identity has profound effects on their psychological health.  Removal of units to satisfy the state would result in the class no longer being accredited for college credit.  

Thousands of Florida students were already signed up for this class this fall and counting on getting some college credit for the class.  But apparently even 16-19 year olds are too young to learn that homosexuality and transgenderism exist.

It's Florida. That state is trying to be the best worst state they can be. 

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - Nately120 - 08-08-2023

(08-08-2023, 11:19 PM)pally Wrote: Hillsborough County (Tampa) has decided they will not require students to read entire Shakespearean plays instead pulling out only excepts for lesson.  Apparently, even the Bard is too raunchy for Floridians

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-hillsborough/hillsborough-schools-cut-back-on-shakespeare-citing-new-florida-rules

And lo, Macbeth's amoral and frantic lust for power at any cost led to.....a golden age where he made Scotland great again!  LOCK MALCOLM UP!!!!! LOCK MALCOLM UP!!!!!

(EDITED FOR FLORIDIANS)

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - pally - 08-09-2023

(08-08-2023, 11:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And lo, Macbeth's amoral and frantic lust for power at any cost led to.....a golden age where he made Scotland great again!  LOCK MALCOLM UP!!!!! LOCK MALCOLM UP!!!!!

(EDITED FOR FLORIDIANS)

And here I thought they just didn’t want students to hear about Twelfth Night’s Viola cross dressing as Cesario

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 08-09-2023

(08-03-2023, 05:02 PM)pally Wrote: Florida's ban on instruction on sexual and gender identity has effectively resulted in the banning of AP Psychology classes.  These classes designed for college credit for high school seniors and juniors provide a foundational discussion of these topics.  A person's sexual and gender identity has profound effects on their psychological health.  Removal of units to satisfy the state would result in the class no longer being accredited for college credit.  

Thousands of Florida students were already signed up for this class this fall and counting on getting some college credit for the class.  But apparently even 16-19 year olds are too young to learn that homosexuality and transgenderism exist.

Well that's dumb. Even from my side of the aisle it would be a mental health issue and certainly something that could should be taught in a psychology class. If we're trying to keep people from drastically altering themselves then we should at least be doing the proper study to understand the psychology behind it if we were to try and have people accept the way they were born.

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - Nately120 - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 03:10 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well that's dumb. Even from my side of the aisle it would be a mental health issue and certainly something that could should be taught in a psychology class. If we're trying to keep people from drastically altering themselves then we should at least be doing the proper study to understand the psychology behind it if we were to try and have people accept the way they were born.

Is this a slippery slope to banning all cosmetic surgery?  I've seen pictures, Elon Musk was not born to be a man with a full head of hair at this age. 

(08-09-2023, 03:10 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well that's dumb. Even from my side of the aisle it would be a mental health issue and certainly something that could should be taught in a psychology class. If we're trying to keep people from drastically altering themselves then we should at least be doing the proper study to understand the psychology behind it if we were to try and have people accept the way they were born.

It is the result of poorly written legislation aimed at solving a problem that didn’t really exist.

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 08:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Is this a slippery slope to banning all cosmetic surgery?  I've seen pictures, Elon Musk was not born to be a man with a full head of hair at this age. 

I personally would not have a problem with that in most cases. Obviously someone that was injured or scarred from an accident. People that are trying to hold back the look of aging or don’t like a nose that’s perfectly fine. Then again I’ll never be in the kind of situation where I’d be able to afford something like that anyways.

I’m talking about what’s most likely extreme cases and rich people. I don’t reckon too many regular people are doing cosmetic surgeries like that.

Then you have the clearly crazy people that want to look like a Barbie/Ken doll, or Korean. I saw one guy literally have some of his ribs taken out just to get a shape for their body and was in constant pain. That’s some mental health issues right there.

Anyways yes there’s a time and place for cosmetic surgeries but it seems out of hand lately.

And in today's "only in Florida"....

In Seminole County in order to prevent Bobby from calling himself Susie and vice versa, permission slips are now required for use of ANY nickname. Legal names only, so Bobby goes back to being Robert and Susie is Susan.

Shoot I know of a few kids who wouldn't recognize their legal names, they've been called by their nicknames for their entire lives

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 01:25 PM)pally Wrote: And in today's "only in Florida"....

In Seminole County in order to prevent Bobby from calling himself Susie and vice versa, permission slips are now required for use of ANY nickname.  Legal names only, so Bobby goes back to being Robert and Susie is Susan.

Shoot I know of a few kids who wouldn't recognize their legal names, they've been called by their nicknames for their entire lives

Use of a "nickname" in what regard?  What constitutes a "nickname"?  A link and some context just might be important here.

(08-09-2023, 01:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Use of a "nickname" in what regard?  What constitutes a "nickname"?  A link and some context just might be important here.

I'm wondering if this means DeSantis needs to sign a form allowing himself to be called Meatball Ron. 

(08-09-2023, 01:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Use of a "nickname" in what regard?  What constitutes a "nickname"?  A link and some context just might be important here.

https://www.wesh.com/article/florida-schools-nicknames-permission/44766231

Quote:
"They can put any of their preferred nicknames. Some students go by middle name. There are a lot of different variations, but anything that's a deviation from the legal name will need the parent's consent,” Katherine Crnkovich, Seminole County Public Schools communications officer, said.

Orange County sent a memo to its leadership with a similar parent authorization attached, calling on “parents to specify the use of any deviation from their child's legal name in school."

(08-09-2023, 02:11 PM)pally Wrote: https://www.wesh.com/article/florida-schools-nicknames-permission/44766231

This is amusing because I specifically recall my mother circa 1994 being annoyed my 7th grade teacher took upon herself to refer to me as Nate.  God help me, that's around the time I was "groomed" into going by that nickname, myself. 

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - basballguy - 08-09-2023

so you say "effectively resulted in the banning of AP Psychology"....is that actually the case?  Was the class banned?  Are they prevented from taking the AP exam?  

Or are we getting upset about a couple paragraphs that may not be in the curriculum anymore?

Ok i just read the actual release.  No classes have been banned....quite the opposite....it's the organization recommending to schools to not carry the class.  Totally different than what you're trying to sell here.  

"Classes have been banned!!!  But we told them to do it so it's DeSantis' fault!"

Give me a break.  :)

(08-09-2023, 01:25 PM)pally Wrote: And in today's "only in Florida"....

In Seminole County in order to prevent Bobby from calling himself Susie and vice versa, permission slips are now required for use of ANY nickname.  Legal names only, so Bobby goes back to being Robert and Susie is Susan.

This sounds like an unnecessary overreaction by this school district.  

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 02:45 PM)basballguy Wrote: so you say "effectively resulted in the banning of AP Psychology"....is that actually the case?  Was the class banned?  Are they prevented from taking the AP exam?  

Or are we getting upset about a couple paragraphs that may not be in the curriculum anymore?

Ok i just read the actual release.  No classes have been banned....quite the opposite....it's the organization recommending to schools to not carry the class.  Totally different than what you're trying to sell here.  

"Classes have been banned!!!  But we told them to do it so it's DeSantis' fault!"

Maybe parroting far left talking points doesn't always result in an accurate report of the situation?

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - GMDino - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 02:45 PM)basballguy Wrote: so you say "effectively resulted in the banning of AP Psychology"....is that actually the case?  Was the class banned?  Are they prevented from taking the AP exam?  

Well I mean those are the words used in the link you provded:

[/url]
Quote:COLLEGE BOARD
  • August 3, 2023
[url=https://newsroom.collegeboard.org/author/college-board-communications]

We are sad to have learned that today the Florida Department of Education has effectively banned AP Psychology in the state by instructing Florida superintendents that teaching foundational content on sexual orientation and gender identity is illegal under state law. The state has said districts are free to teach AP Psychology only if it excludes any mention of these essential topics.

Pally directly quoted it.

Continuing:

Quote:As we shared in June, we cannot modify AP Psychology in response to regulations that would censor college-level standards for credit, placement, and career readiness. Our policy remains unchanged. Any course that censors required course content cannot be labeled “AP” or “Advanced Placement,” and the “AP Psychology” designation cannot be utilized on student transcripts.

To be clear, any AP Psychology course taught in Florida will violate either Florida law or college requirements. Therefore, we advise Florida districts not to offer AP Psychology until Florida reverses their decision and allows parents and students to choose to take the full course.

Boy, that sure reads like the classes cannot be taught for college credit because it would violate the law DeSantis signed.

Quote:The American Psychological Association recently reaffirmed that any course that excludes these topics would violate their guidelines and should not be considered for college credit. The APA has given this direct guidance to organizations that have agreed to this censorship.

Similarly, American Council on Education president Ted Mitchell has said: “It strains credulity to believe that our reviewers would certify for college credit a psychology course that didn’t include gender identity.”

The state’s ban of this content removes choice from parents and students. Coming just days from the start of school, it derails the college readiness and affordability plans of tens of thousands of Florida students currently registered for AP Psychology, one of the most popular AP classes in the state. AP is recognized by thousands of colleges and universities across the United States for admissions, scholarships consideration, college credit, and advanced standing. More than 28,000 Florida students took AP Psychology in the 2022-23 academic year.
So the choice was either risk breaking the Don't say gay law or just not having the class.  
Maybe you read some other statement and linked the wrong one?

RE: No AP Physchology Classes in Florida - Stewy - 08-09-2023

(08-08-2023, 11:23 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: It's Florida. That state is trying to be the best worst state they can be. 

*Texas*

"Here.  Hold my Bible, beer AND shotgun."