Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
How to pronounce Iosivas - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: How to pronounce Iosivas (/Thread-How-to-pronounce-Iosivas)

How to pronounce Iosivas - pally - 08-15-2023

and now we know why he goes by Yoshi. The real question is did Orlando get help on the pronunciation BEFORE asking everyone?

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - SunsetBengal - 08-15-2023

No no no, I'm asking the questions.. Cool

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - bengalfan74 - 08-16-2023

(08-15-2023, 07:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No no no, I'm asking the questions..  Cool

Loved that  Hilarious

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - jj22 - 08-16-2023

Tee - Who? Yoshi. That's his last name. Yoshi right?

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-16-2023

Nintendo is shit and no way am I calling my favourite draft pick by a character who is shitty.

Iosivas, period.

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - QueenCity - 08-16-2023

For my Harry Potter Fans - "It’s Leviosa, Not Leviosaaa!"

(08-16-2023, 10:26 AM)QueenCity Wrote: For my Harry Potter Fans - "It’s Leviosa, Not Leviosaaa!"

I always thought it's because the British pronounce As as Rs (and vice-versa) for the ending of the words, so it was "Leviosar."

But I didn't read the books, so it may be more-explicit there

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - Earendil - 08-16-2023

I'm more concerned about people who think the first letter of his name is an L instead of an I.

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - George Cantstandya - 08-16-2023

I know it has already been clarified but here it is according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Iosivas

pronounced /ˈɒndreɪ ˈjoʊsiːˌvɑː

Here is the video referenced in the Wikipedia article for anyone interested

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - tms - 08-16-2023

So "Yo-see-vosh". Cool. I always wondered about the "see" and whether it was more like the "tzee" in pizza. Guess not.

Once people learn it, they'll never forget it. I remember at first a lot of people struggled with Giannis "Antetokounmpo". Around draft-time even Jalen Rose said, "Just call him Po!" But now it rolls off the tongue and we don't think twice about it.

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - jason - 08-16-2023

He sounds more like an NBA player to me. Maybe a hockey player.

(08-16-2023, 11:40 AM)tms Wrote: So "Yo-see-vosh". Cool. I always wondered about the "see" and whether it was more like the "tzee" in pizza. Guess not.

That's 'cause it's ROmanian and they don't have that sound with their letters.

If he was Italian, maybe.

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - ochocincos - 08-16-2023

(08-16-2023, 10:11 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Nintendo is shit and no way am I calling my favourite draft pick by a character who is shitty.

Iosivas, period.

Damn, talk about a hot take! Shocked

(08-16-2023, 12:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Damn, talk about a hot take! Shocked

Nintendo is only where they are today due to timing and having an asshole, cutthroat lawyer as running their business in NA for 20 years.

The quality of their games was NEVER the best in the respective genres, save for maybe Ocarina of Time and they have become a conglomerate based on Nostalgia and Draconian business policies.

There are very, VERY few things in life that I truly hate, but Ninty is one of them and they absolutely do not deserve to be around in their current capacity.

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-16-2023

(08-15-2023, 07:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No no no, I'm asking the questions..  Cool

Made me lol

(08-16-2023, 11:40 AM)tms Wrote: So "Yo-see-vosh". Cool. I always wondered about the "see" and whether it was more like the "tzee" in pizza. Guess not.

Once people learn it, they'll never forget it. I remember at first a lot of people struggled with Giannis "Antetokounmpo". Around draft-time even Jalen Rose said, "Just call him Po!" But now it rolls off the tongue and we don't think twice about it.

Yeah, it isn't that hard once you say it like a couple times...

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - ochocincos - 08-16-2023

(08-16-2023, 12:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Nintendo is only where they are today due to timing and having an asshole, cutthroat lawyer as running their business in NA for 20 years.

The quality of their games was NEVER the best in the respective genres, save for maybe Ocarina of Time and they have become a conglomerate based on Nostalgia and Draconian business policies.

There are very, VERY few things in life that I truly hate, but Ninty is one of them and they absolutely do not deserve to be around in their current capacity.

Fair, but they do have some enjoyable games.
I continually find their Mario games are fun, even if they may not be the best platformer out there.
Mario Kart games also have been typically fun to play.

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-16-2023

(08-16-2023, 01:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fair, but they do have some enjoyable games.
I continually find their Mario games are fun, even if they may not be the best platformer out there.
Mario Kart games also have been typically fun to play.

One of my favorite memories was getting a Nintendo when I was a kid with Mario Bros and Duck Hunt...

Truck doesn't have to ruin it for me lol

RE: How to pronounce Iosivas - Sled21 - 08-16-2023

Yoshi-vas is nowhere near as bad as Whosyourmama....

(08-16-2023, 04:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: One of my favorite memories was getting a Nintendo when I was a kid with Mario Bros and Duck Hunt...

Truck doesn't have to ruin it for me lol

I am a Sega truther and I will always go for skill and creativity over good business.

**** Howard Lincoln