Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama (/Thread-House-Speaker-Ongoing-Melodrama)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - TheLeonardLeap - 10-22-2023

(10-22-2023, 03:11 PM)pally Wrote: If McCarthy wanted Democrat's help maybe he shouldn't have lied to them.

It is impressive how quickly you changed your tune on this compared to not that long ago when Manchin was being an obstacle to Democrats ability to get things done, including lying to him about including something to get his vote. Lol

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-22-2023

(10-22-2023, 03:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It is impressive how quickly you changed your tune on this compared to not that long ago when Manchin was being an obstacle to Democrats ability to get things done, including lying to him about including something to get his vote. Lol

If they lied to Manchin, then they will pay the price by not getting his vote the next time...just like McCarthy.  In most worlds. there are consequences to actions.  McCarthy got his.

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - Nately120 - 10-22-2023

(10-22-2023, 03:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Exactly. That's exactly my whole point. You can't do something and then pretend you have absolutely zero involvement on the results of that thing you did. 

You can do that if you had inaction you can make the case you had nothing to do with it, but once you take action, you are at least partially involved.

Of course they removed McCarthy, the guy kisses the ass of a guy who is actively trying to overthrow democracy.  That's an amount of action im floored that spineless political party took. 

If they voted to keep McCarthy for any reason they're going to convince people to just stop voting for them.  Vote left vote right, either way you get Trump and his underlings.  

Shame on them?  Maybe. 

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - TheLeonardLeap - 10-22-2023

(10-22-2023, 06:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Of course they removed McCarthy, the guy kisses the ass of a guy who is actively trying to overthrow democracy.  That's an amount of action im floored that spineless political party took. 

If they voted to keep McCarthy for any reason they're going to convince people to just stop voting for them.  Vote left vote right, either way you get Trump and his underlings.  

Shame on them?  Maybe. 

Not sure how proud of that you can be when you're enabling the will of Gaetz who then proceeded to nominate Trump to be Speaker, and is also looking at and seeking ways to make Trump legally immune.

Could theoretically vote present/abstain which is not the same as voting to keep.

Not saying shame on them, do what you feel you have to do to politically maneuver for 2024 if that's what you want, but I am just saying you can't FULLY say your hands are clean of the situation if you voted for it to happen. Own your actions is all.

That said, at least to me it sure seems like enabling and empowering Gaetz is by far the worse of the two evils. 

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - Nately120 - 10-23-2023

(10-22-2023, 07:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That said, at least to me it sure seems like enabling and empowering Gaetz is by far the worse of the two evils. 

Gaetz wants his name out there for money and clout, so regardless of what happens he's getting exactly what he wants and that includes democrats deciding they want to protect Kevin McCarthy from his own party. That would just lead to Gaetz talking about how he's the only real republican who stood up to a guy who is such a RINO democrats voted for him. He'd ride that right to the governor's mansion in Florida. Gaetz is going to win, you just have to accept that. People like him are why so many people choose to believe in karma or eternal damnation to combat the frustration that he doesn't get what he deserves on this mortal coil.

But like I said, McCarthy said "protect me and I'll give you bastards nothing" and democrats actually didn't just say "Yes sir" and let someone who was negotiating from a position of weakness walk all over them.  To me it shows that people have just expected democrats to surrender, even when they have the power to fight back.  That's our system.  The GOP represents fewer voters, but they get more power because they're republicans and that's just the way it is.

I can't express how surprised I am that democrats chose this point to actually give a politically belligerent person the middle finger and let him face his own problems and his own party.  But as I said, democrats protecting McCarthy just leads to that picture of him crawling back to Trump at Mar A Lago with a narrator saying "You voted for democrats, and they Donald Trump's underling from being removed from power."

Right or wrong, as someone who went crawling back to the democrats after 2020 made it clear my "both parties are the same" narrative wasn't holding water in the MAGA era I can tell you if democrats actually make a point to vote for and protect someone so close to Trump I'm going right back to throwing my vote away on 3rd party candidates.  That's beyond weak.  If I wanted Kevin McCarthy in power I'd be a republican, because he's not the type you can even delude yourself into calling a moderate.

Anyways, are they even going to bother voting today or should we just give them another week off with pay?

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-23-2023

Trump makes his new endorsement for Speaker....none other than Jesus himself

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1716520264316649546

(10-23-2023, 05:00 PM)pally Wrote: Trump makes his new endorsement for Speaker....none other than Jesus himself

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1716520264316649546

HEADLINE:  Trump endorses non US citizen for speaker

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-23-2023

(10-23-2023, 05:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: HEADLINE:  Trump endorses non US citizen for speaker
not just a non US citizen but a man from Palestine

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-23-2023

(10-23-2023, 05:49 PM)pally Wrote: not just a non US citizen but a man from Palestine

Jesus was born in the Roman province of Judaea, not Palestine.  Before the Romans conquered it it was controlled by the Hasmonean dynasty, a Jewish people.  So, no, not a "man from Palestine."

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - GMDino - 10-23-2023

(10-23-2023, 06:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Jesus was born in the Roman province of Judaea, not Palestine.  Before the Romans conquered it it was controlled by the Hasmonean dynasty, a Jewish people.  So, no, not a "man from Palestine."

[Image: EbqqaDd5_400x400.png] Ninja

(10-23-2023, 06:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: EbqqaDd5_400x400.png] Ninja

Aww, bless your meme.  

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - Belsnickel - 10-23-2023

(10-23-2023, 06:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Jesus was born in the Roman province of Judaea, not Palestine.  Before the Romans conquered it it was controlled by the Hasmonean dynasty, a Jewish people.  So, no, not a "man from Palestine."

(10-23-2023, 06:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: EbqqaDd5_400x400.png] Ninja

I could go on about how Palestinians are the descendants of the poorer, lower class Jewish people that could not afford to leave the area during the diasporas. They suffered through all the tribulations that took place in the land, many converting from their Jewish faith, but still the genealogical descendants of the Jewish people that inhabited the area just lacking the means to escape the atrocities committed against them by invading peoples.

I could go into that, but that muddies the waters a lot when it comes to this conflict and most people don't want that.

(10-23-2023, 06:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I could go on about how Palestinians are the descendants of the poorer, lower class Jewish people that could not afford to leave the area during the diasporas. They suffered through all the tribulations that took place in the land, many converting from their Jewish faith, but still the genealogical descendants of the Jewish people that inhabited the area just lacking the means to escape the atrocities committed against them by invading peoples.

I could go into that, but that muddies the waters a lot when it comes to this conflict and most people don't want that.

All very true.  My point in bringing this up is that kind of quippery spreads inaccuracies and reinforces false narratives.

My Jesus is from Deep Purple.

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - NATI BENGALS - 10-23-2023

(10-22-2023, 11:43 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So you believe that voting for a situation to happen means you have no responsibility for that situation happening?

It's still the Republicans job to get their shit together to choose a new Speaker, which they seem to be incapable of doing... but to think Democrats have completely zero responsibility for the House not having a Speaker when they all unanimously voted to get rid of the Speaker? That seems disingenuous at best.

McCarthy voted to not certify the election. Right after a failed coup at the capital.
McCarthy also signed on to the amicus brief urging the SCOTUS to overturn election results.
McCarthy was also a trump ally/ass kisser.

And you want to blame democrats because they did not provide protection to a traitor who tried to throw out our democratic election results?

If they voted to keep a traitor in power you would have a point they are to blame for the situation. But they didn’t. They never voted to put him in power. They never voted for the new rules that allowed him to gain power and easily lose power.

They voted to give America a speaker who did not try to destroy our democracy. Every time. So play all the gotcha games you want. But when it all boils down. That’s the bottom line. And the actions that they own.

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - TheLeonardLeap - 10-23-2023

(10-23-2023, 08:05 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: McCarthy voted to not certify the election. Right after a failed coup at the capital.
McCarthy also signed on to the amicus brief urging the SCOTUS to overturn election results.
McCarthy was also a trump ally/ass kisser.

And you want to blame democrats because they did not provide protection to a traitor who tried to throw out our democratic election results?

If they voted to keep a traitor in power you would have a point they are to blame for the situation. But they didn’t. They never voted to put him in power. They never voted for the new rules that allowed him to gain power and easily lose power.

They voted to give America a speaker who did not try to destroy our democracy. Every time. So play all the gotcha games you want. But when it all boils down. That’s the bottom line. And the actions that they own.

It sure seems like you didn't read my posts at all throughout this thread and just decided to come in hot with your response deciding I said what you wanted me to say to be on the bad other side rather than what I was actually saying.

I don't need a list of how McCarthy sucks. I literally referred to him as an evil when I said that empowering Gaetz is the worse of two evils. I would never vote for either to lead a bake sale, let alone my state or country.

Lol, gotcha games? I am not "blaming" Democrats. I am just saying you all are not completely unrelated to the situation and pretending otherwise seems disingenuous. If you make a decision to participate in something, you have made yourself at least partially related. Regardless of why you are a part of it, regardless of if you are right/wrong to be a part of it. 

You sure seem to be mistaking me with someone else who wants to play the Party A Good vs Party B Bad game.

(10-23-2023, 10:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It sure seems like you didn't read my posts at all throughout this thread and just decided to come in hot with your response deciding I said what you wanted me to say to be on the bad other side rather than what I was actually saying.

That appears to be a major trend with the left leaning posters here.  It's never about what you actually said, it's about what they want you to have said.  Most especially when what you actually said can't be nitpicked or effectively argued with.

Quote:I don't need a list of how McCarthy sucks. I literally referred to him as an evil when I said that empowering Gaetz is the worse of two evils. I would never vote for either to lead a bake sale, let alone my state or country.

Lol, gotcha games? I am not "blaming" Democrats. I am just saying you all are not completely unrelated to the situation and pretending otherwise seems disingenuous. If you make a decision to participate in something, you have made yourself at least partially related. Regardless of why you are a part of it, regardless of if you are right/wrong to be a part of it. 

Nuance is not something many people excel at anymore, as evidenced by your next sentence.

Quote:You sure seem to be mistaking me with someone else who wants to play the Party A Good vs Party B Bad game.

And here it is.  For many you can't criticize the Dems without simultaneously praising the GOP and vice versa.  You can absolutely point out how both contribute to dysfunction, even to varying degrees, without endorsing, or outright condemning either.  I will say, Nati is far better than most because he will absorb an argument outside his normal sphere, or at least consider it.  He's far more open to new perspectives than most here.

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - NATI BENGALS - 10-24-2023

(10-23-2023, 10:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It sure seems like you didn't read my posts at all throughout this thread and just decided to come in hot with your response deciding I said what you wanted me to say to be on the bad other side rather than what I was actually saying.

I don't need a list of how McCarthy sucks. I literally referred to him as an evil when I said that empowering Gaetz is the worse of two evils. I would never vote for either to lead a bake sale, let alone my state or country.

You sure seem to be mistaking me with someone else who wants to play the Party A Good vs Party B Bad game.

Wasn’t trying to come at you side eyed. And I know you seem to be one of the people as close to a centrist as we have around here.

But I take issue with anybody blaming democrats for this mess because they wouldn’t prop up and keep in a position of power a man like McCarthy. That is not their job. And I don’t think many if any who voted for them would have wanted them to.

They didn’t just make a decision to participate in something so you can point the finger and place just as much blame on them and let the party that can’t govern off the hook. They did their job.

They ran a campaign, got elected, and swore an oath.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

And then did exactly what they swore they would do.

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - TheLeonardLeap - 10-24-2023

(10-24-2023, 12:39 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Wasn’t trying to come at you side eyed. And I know you seem to be one of the people as close to a centrist as we have around here.

But I take issue with anybody blaming democrats for this mess because they wouldn’t prop up and keep in a position of power a man like McCarthy. That is not their job. And I don’t think many if any who voted for them would have wanted them to.

They didn’t just make a decision to participate in something so you can point the finger and place just as much blame on them and let the party that can’t govern off the hook. They did their job.

They ran a campaign, got elected, and swore an oath.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

And then did exactly what they swore they would do.

You say you weren't trying to come at me side eyed, but then you follow it up by saying something like that. Lol. I never said that Democrats are equally to blame for the current situation. I never said Republicans are off the hook.

I am only saying that this idea that a lot of people here seem to have is wrong. Voting for a situation to happen means you can't say your hands are 100% clean of the results of your vote. I don't know if that is .01% to blame or 49% to blame. I honestly don't care to even begin to try to bother with that thought process or try to play that game.

Libya was in Civil War against their horrible leader. NATO did their job/sword their oaths/did exactly what they swore to do or however you want to phrase it by creating a no-fly zone and later having an airstrike against Gaddafi's security which led to his capture and execution. We helped save civilians from being massacred by their government that was led by a ruthless dictator. Objectively did the good thing. The country has been in conflict, war, and turmoil for the 12 years since. Is NATO 100% clean and clear from any and all responsibility for those 12 years? That's all I am trying to say. If you choose to take action, you are at least partially responsible to some varying degree for the result of those actions even if those actions were your duty and the right thing to do. You can't act entirely unconnected to it.

RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - NATI BENGALS - 10-24-2023

(10-24-2023, 01:08 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You say you weren't trying to come at me side eyed, but then you follow it up by saying something like that. Lol. I never said that Democrats are equally to blame for the current situation. I never said Republicans are off the hook.

I am only saying that this idea that a lot of people here seem to have is wrong. Voting for a situation to happen means you can't say your hands are 100% clean of the results of your vote. I don't know if that is .01% to blame or 49% to blame. I honestly don't care to even begin to try to bother with that thought process or try to play that game.

Libya was in Civil War against their horrible leader. NATO did their job/sword their oaths/did exactly what they swore to do or however you want to phrase it by creating a no-fly zone and later having an airstrike against Gaddafi's security which led to his capture and execution. We helped save civilians from being massacred by their government that was led by a ruthless dictator. Objectively did the good thing. The country has been in conflict, war, and turmoil for the 12 years since. Is NATO 100% clean and clear from any and all responsibility for those 12 years? That's all I am trying to say. If you choose to take action, you are at least partially responsible to some varying degree for the result of those actions even if those actions were your duty and the right thing to do. You can't act entirely unconnected to it.

Ok I guess. Yes. They are guilty of doing their job.

The way I see it. They never voted to put a proven threat to our constitution as #3 in presidential succession. They never voted for the rules to make him easily removable. And they never voted to keep him in power.

I guess we could say well if the people would have never built that great big beautiful house little Donny and his friends wouldn't have been able to burn it down. So I guess we have to put some of the blame on the people for building it if we are playing by your rules.