Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Reds add 2 relievers - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: General Sports (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-General-Sports)
+--- Forum: Cincinnati Reds (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Reds)
+--- Thread: Reds add 2 relievers (/Thread-Reds-add-2-relievers)

Reds add 2 relievers - ochocincos - 11-30-2023

Reds have added 2 relief pitchers this week - Emilio Pagan and now Nick Martinez.
Pagan is exclusively a RP whereas Martinez has split between SP and RP.

Pagan was signed for 2 years, $16 mill
Martinez was signed for 2 years, $26 mill with the 2nd year having an opt-out clause.

My wish list this offseason was two RPs and (at least) one SP, so we've checked my RP box.
If they can add/trade for a good SP, I think that will put the Reds really in preseason contender status.

RE: Reds add 2 relievers - CJD - 11-30-2023

Martinez doubles as a RP and a SP, if needed. Based on his contract, I bet they give him a shot at that 5th starting rotation spot.

His stat line as a starter was really good in 2023, too.
9 GS, 2.32 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 42.2 IP, 11 ER, 18 BB, 37 K, 62 GB, 54 FB (53% GB rate), 171 BF

Granted, it seems like a fair number of his starts were closer to "opener" starts, with 4 of his 9 starts 4 IP or less. But in those 4 games, he allowed 0 ERs.

His stat line as a reliever was good too, but not as good:
54 G, 4.12 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 67.2 IP, 31 ER, 22 BB, 69 K, 106 GB, 89 FB (54% GB rate), 290 TBF

What's more impressive is that, among his 54 relief appearances, 18 of them were for more than 1 IP, with 11 of those 19 2 IP or more (1 3 IP relief appearance, in which he gave us 0 ERs)

I think he'll do well in Cincinnati with the flexibility to start, open and relieve.

RE: Reds add 2 relievers - Goalpost - 11-30-2023

According to C. Trent Rosencrans of The Athletic, the Reds will open camp with plans to use Martinez as a starter.

RE: Reds add 2 relievers - The D.O.Z. - 11-30-2023

Two quality additions. They desperately needed a guy like Martinez, who checks multiple boxes. Now I'm hoping for a trade for a TOR guy and maybe signing a RH platoon bat for Fraley / Benson.

RE: Reds add 2 relievers - samhain - 11-30-2023

(11-30-2023, 11:52 AM)Goalpost Wrote: According to C. Trent Rosencrans of The Athletic, the Reds will open camp with plans to use Martinez as a starter.

He was a decent starter in San Diego.  I'd rather have him in the pen as a long reliever, but I'm not upset if he gets a shot at starting.  He has a 1 year opt out, so he's going to be potentially pitching for even more money.

RE: Reds add 2 relievers - grampahol - 12-01-2023

(11-30-2023, 07:44 PM)samhain Wrote: He was a decent starter in San Diego.  I'd rather have him in the pen as a long reliever, but I'm not upset if he gets a shot at starting.  He has a 1 year opt out, so he's going to be potentially pitching for even more money.

San Diego's park is huge which for a hitter can be a blessing or a curse depending on how they hit. GABP is a phone booth in comparison. Home runs are a dime a dozen in Cincinnati. Not so much in San Diego.   I hope they're good at keeping the ball out of the stands.. 

RE: Reds add 2 relievers - Bing Ghuls - 12-01-2023

Martines is not a "real" starter. It appears he was only a starter in "bullpen games" where multiple relief pitchers cover the entire game. He usually pitched 4 innings or less when he started.

Still a good addition, but we still need starters.

RE: Reds add 2 relievers - ochocincos - 12-02-2023

(12-01-2023, 07:58 PM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: Martines is not a "real" starter.  It appears he was only a starter in "bullpen games" where multiple relief pitchers cover the entire game.  He usually pitched 4 innings or less when he started.

Still a good addition, but we still need starters.

He's perfect for the Reds rotation if he only pitches 4 innings  Smirk

RE: Reds add 2 relievers - guyofthetiger - 12-02-2023

Glad the Reds are shoring up pitching for next year. These guys are better than what we had so it is an improvement. I look for more pitchers to be signed.