Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Israel/Hamas War Superthread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Israel/Hamas War Superthread (/Thread-Israel-Hamas-War-Superthread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Israel/Hamas War Superthread - Dill - 03-22-2024

(03-22-2024, 08:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: How exactly do you deal with someone that is not interested in peace but only wants your head on a platter?

Hamas only wants peace when their back is against the wall and they are in danger of being wiped out. History has shown us that already so I'm all for just finishing them. 
You can try to keep the civilian casualties low, but it's not gonna happen with the way Hamas fights back

Well you start by not insuring Hamas is funded so they'll obstruct Palestinian peacemakers who might have a shot at success. 

Whence comes the notion that the Netanyahu government, and the voters who keep him in power, want "peace"? 

They want land, and they'll sacrifice "peace" to get and keep it. 

Their support for Hamas to prevent peace has spun out of control now. 

RE: Israel/Hamas War Superthread - Mike M (the other one) - 03-22-2024

(03-22-2024, 09:34 AM)Dill Wrote: Well you start by not insuring Hamas is funded so they'll obstruct Palestinian peacemakers who might have a shot at success. 

Whence comes the notion that the Netanyahu government, and the voters who keep him in power, want "peace"? 

They want land, and they'll sacrifice "peace" to get and keep it. 

Their support for Hamas to prevent peace has spun out of control now. 

?? Hamas hasn't ever wanted peace, don't you know your history?

(03-22-2024, 10:30 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: ?? Hamas hasn't ever wanted peace, don't you know your history?

That's why Netanhayu insured Hamas had enough funding to retain power in Gaza, 

so that it could successfully oppose Fatah and the PLO, 

who did want peace.

That Hamas DIDN'T want peace was the point of funding them.

Netanyahu didn't want it either. 

PS It's also not true, as a matter of historical record, that "Hamas hasn't ever wanted peace." 

(03-22-2024, 10:43 AM)Dill Wrote: That's why Netanhayu insured Hamas had enough funding to retain power in Gaza, 

so that it could successfully oppose Fatah and the PLO, 

who did want peace.

That Hamas DIDN'T want peace was the point of funding them.

Netanyahu didn't want it either. 

PS It's also not true, as a matter of historical record, that "Hamas hasn't ever wanted peace." 

Sorry, Hamas has cried wolf one to many times now for me to believe they ever had peaceful intent.

RE: Israel/Hamas War Superthread - GMDino - 03-22-2024

(03-22-2024, 10:51 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Sorry, Hamas has cried wolf one to many times now for me to believe they ever had peaceful intent.

So has Netanyahu.

(03-22-2024, 10:51 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Sorry, Hamas has cried wolf one to many times now for me to believe they ever had peaceful intent.

You appealed to history. Hamas began as a charity service organization concerned with helping widows,
orphans and the poor. It did not morph into a political/military organization until the late 1980s. 

But I don't get what point you are trying to make here.

My original argument was 

1) Hamas wanted to fight Israel

2) Hamas fought other Palestinian groups that wanted peace.

3) Netanyahu didn't want peace.

4) So he helped fund Hamas so it would check/block the Palestinians who wanted peace.

To all that you've objected that Hamas didn't/doesn't want peace. 

Which is why Netanyahu supported them. 

Why are you motivated to remind me that Hamas doesn't want peace, when my point was that they don't?

(03-22-2024, 11:16 AM)Dill Wrote: You appealed to history. Hamas began as a charity service organization concerned with helping widows,
orphans and the poor. It did not morph into a political/military organization until the late 1980s. 

But I don't get what point you are trying to make here.

My original argument was 

1) Hamas wanted to fight Israel

2) Hamas fought other Palestinian groups that wanted peace.

3) Netanyahu didn't want peace.

4) So he helped fund Hamas so it would check/block the Palestinians who wanted peace.

To all that you've objected that Hamas didn't/doesn't want peace. 

Which is why Netanyahu supported them. 

Why are you motivated to remind me that Hamas doesn't want peace, when my point was that they don't?

Netanyahu wasn't against peace, he listed his demands for peace which seem appropriate given the situation.
Hamas eradicated.
Palestinians deradicalized
and i forget the other one.

What he won't accept is any peace deal that weakens Israel and leaves them unable to defend themselves which is just common sense. 

Now in what way did Netanyahu support Hamas? That i have never really heard before and I'd like for some proof of it.

RE: Israel/Hamas War Superthread - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-22-2024

(03-22-2024, 08:22 AM)Dill Wrote: First thing that comes to mind is my assertion about the frequency and extent that Israel violates IHL.

But you don't refute it. Just "note" it.  Because you are not interested in whether the assertion is true or not. 

Also, I often put together posts over time. If they respond to polemics of your "shoot the messenger" type,

then I usually let them sit overnight and review them before posting. 

Why would I do that?  Your position is your position.  Why would I waste my time arguing with an ideologue who has their mind firmly made up?  You answered my questions, I answered yours.  Silly little jabs from you, as above, aside I'd say we're good.  Thank you again for your direct answers, they were most enlightening.

RE: Israel/Hamas War Superthread - GMDino - 03-22-2024

(03-22-2024, 12:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Netanyahu wasn't against peace, he listed his demands for peace which seem appropriate given the situation.
Hamas eradicated.

What he won't accept is any peace deal that weakens Israel and leaves them unable to defend themselves which is just common sense. 

Now in what way did Netanyahu support Hamas? That i have never really heard before and I'd like for some proof of it.

Its proven he helped shore up Hamas by allowing outside funds and support.  

https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-years-netanyahu-propped-up-hamas-now-its-blown-up-in-our-faces/

He never wanted peace.  He wanted a boogie man so he could run and rule as a tough guy.  Now he can go kill innocent people in the name of "peace".

(03-22-2024, 12:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: Its proven he helped shore up Hamas by allowing outside funds and support.  

https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-years-netanyahu-propped-up-hamas-now-its-blown-up-in-our-faces/

He never wanted peace.  He wanted a boogie man so he could run and rule as a tough guy.  Now he can go kill innocent people in the name of "peace".

OMG he allowed work permits so that the Palestinians could have access to better paying jobs and improve their SOL, and would pave the way for peace.

The other part looks like he THOUGHT he would work with Hamas vs the PLO to achieve peace, but it back fired. 
But I didn't see anything that says he directly Funded them as you claim.

(03-22-2024, 12:51 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Why would I do that?  Your position is your position.  Why would I waste my time arguing with an ideologue who has their mind firmly made up?  You answered my questions, I answered yours.  Silly little jabs from you, as above, aside I'd say we're good.  Thank you again for your direct answers, they were most enlightening.

My position is that the IDF commits war crimes. That's a position that rests on a factual, historical record.

Your position is they don't commit war crimes, because acknowledging they do "supports terrorism." You'll stick by whatever the IDF says. 

One characteristic of the ideologue is that he holds positions separated from evidence, and which cannot be affected by evidence.

That leaves ad hominem as a primary weapon, along with double standards and obfuscation. 

So of course you want to denounce "antisemites" and "Hamas supporters" but won't waste time arguing factual ground with "ideologues."

(03-22-2024, 12:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Netanyahu wasn't against peace, he listed his demands for peace which seem appropriate given the situation.
Hamas eradicated.

Sounds like someone needs a primer on the Israel-Palestine conflict, especially since Oslo.

Maybe I'll get round to that this evening or tomorrow. 

(03-22-2024, 01:27 PM)Dill Wrote: My position is that the IDF commits war crimes. That's a position that rests on a factual, historical record.

Your position is they don't commit war crimes, because acknowledging they do "supports terrorism." You'll stick by whatever the IDF says. 

One characteristic of the ideologue is that he holds positions separated from evidence, and which cannot be affected by evidence.

That leaves ad hominem as a primary weapon, along with double standards and obfuscation. 

So of course you want to denounce "antisemites" and "Hamas supporters" but won't waste time arguing factual ground with "ideologues."

Cool.  You've posted this all before, and I've addressed it before  You've said literally nothing new in this post.  I understand what you think and why you think it.  I find your position, exemplified by your direct answers to my questions, repugnant.  Unless you have something new to add there's nothing further to discuss.  Thank you.

(03-22-2024, 12:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Now in what way did Netanyahu support Hamas? That i have never really heard before and I'd like for some proof of it.

He has.  He's propped them up because they play into his hands.  This isn't disputable.  The problem is that people like Dill (who will now give you a dissertation about Netanyahu) use this to excuse or mitigate the subsequent actions of Hamas.  I do not find it probable, likely not even plausible, that Hamas would have gone away if not for Netanyahu's efforts.  The element of the far left that can't bring themselves to correctly label Hamas as a terrorist organization will use everything they can to make excuses for their conduct and actions.

(03-22-2024, 01:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Cool.  You've posted this all before, and I've addressed it before  You've said literally nothing new in this post.  I understand what you think and why you think it.  I find your position, exemplified by your direct answers to my questions, repugnant.  Unless you have something new to add there's nothing further to discuss.  Thank you.

Your mouth has been writing a lot of checks on this and other threads.

I say let's see what happens when we cash some of them.

Only then will we know whether you have really "addressed" what I think,

or whether the checks come back marked "insufficient funds."

(03-22-2024, 04:41 PM)Dill Wrote: Your mouth has been writing a lot of checks on this and other threads.

I say let's see what happens when we cash some of them.

Only then will we know whether you have really "addressed" what I think,

or whether the checks come back marked "insufficient funds."

[Image: icegif-520.gif]

You're really this starved for attention?

RE: Israel/Hamas War Superthread - Dill - 03-23-2024

(03-20-2024, 06:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Quote:4. I have said that Hamas needs to be destroyed if a two-state solution is going to work. Do you consider that statement "support for Hamas"?
Again, show your work. What is your standard for determining whether a statement about the Gaza war supports Hamas or not?

Actually, I really haven't, as I do not think a two state solution will ever work.  I do think Hamas needs to be destroyed, and it would be simple to do so if Iran and other nations such as Qatar stopped actively funding/assisting them.  But the two state solution is a non-starter at the end of the day.  Neither party really wants it and the respective religious hardliners will never allow it.  Could there be peace?  Yes, and I think it was inching in that direction with several Arab nations moving towards normalizing relations with Israel.  Which is exactly what Iran and their terrorist lackeys in Hamas wanted to stop when they invaded Israel on 10/07/23.  They got a lot of what they wanted since, and they're relying on people like you in the West to get them the rest of their wish list.  And they are willing to sacrifice every single civilian in Gaza to achieve that goal.  Which is why they are definitively, and demonstrably, worse than Israel in every regard and no equation of substance can reasonably be drawn.  Clear enough for you?

No.  

There were two questions: "Do you consider my statement support for Hamas?"  and 
                                       "What is your standard for determining whether a statement supports Hamas or not? 

If you are calling me a Hamas supporter then you must have some criteria for determining that. Did you answer these questions?

No, you answered a different question--"What's your view on the two-state solution?"--which was not asked. That's deflection.

Yet, without answering the criteria question directly, you continued to employ them to characterize me as someone helping Hamas get "the rest of their wish list." (Were I to adopt your accusatory tactics, I would be saying that Israel relies on people like you in the US to legitimate its occupation and the ongoing, daily dispossession of Palestinians from their land. )

The underlined so misunderstands the current situation in the Mideast that it presents one cause of the current war as a prospect for peace. 
Addressing that misunderstanding should be the job of a different post, or even a thread on the subject.

Let's just stamp this check "returned" and move on to another.
[Image: 360_F_487133606_PREvYLaez14eMIHDQfEQUyUy2t0LNHI2.jpg]

(03-20-2024, 06:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: LOL, thank you for the editorial.
Quote:You do me the "courtesy" of calling me a racist, antisemitic, Hamas supporter, while dodging my questions about your criteria for defining "terrorist supporters." That's not the behavior of someone looking for "an honest answer."

Well, I do find you to be antisemitic, but I do not automatically equate criticism of Israel to antisemitism.  I have never dodged your questions on my criteria, I have detailed them quite clearly in this very thread.  Now, onto the actual questions.

Lol the post above was an example of your dodgery.  That's why you cannot specify your criteria when asked, or point to a post stating them.

Simply repeating that you "find me" to be antisemitic is not "detailing them quite clearly in this very thread." It's just sharing more ungrounded feeling.

You can't point to one "terrorist/antisemitic" accusation that doesn't follow directly from my acknowledgment of IDF war crimes and defense of IHL

That acknowledgement and defense are your de facto criteria, never stated, only evident in application. So once again--insufficient funds.

(03-20-2024, 06:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Quote:2. To repeat: I'll state "unequivocally" that Hamas meets the U.S./EU definition of a terrorist organization. But because the U.S. doesn't apply the label consistently to all who merit it, I regard its application as generally political rather than descriptive. The job of propagandists is to get people to accept and apply such labels without thinking; I won't go along. That means nothing has changed in the last four days; I still don't use the term "terrorist" as a descriptor. 

Copy that.  So Al Qaeda is not a terrorist organization, nor are any of the 9/11 hijackers terrorists in your eyes.  Again, noted.

Yeah, that's what "I don't use the term 'terrorist' as a descriptor" means. 

Because in debates like this propagandists use it to avoid analysis, to lever their opponents into a "side," independent of whatever position they are actually advancing. 

That's what all your "noting" is about--checking resources for future deflection and misdirection. Not for direct, historically and legally grounded engagement. 

(03-20-2024, 06:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Quote:3. Not sure how you are defining "atrocities." Bad stuff Arabs do? If you mean war crimes and violations of IHL, then I'd say the record shows the IDF does so with greater frequency, with much greater destruction and loss of life. But when I've mentioned their sordid record in the past you've simply denied/ignored the facts or introduced a time limit. Do you mean just since last year or what? 

You could stick to the actual dictionary definition of the word atrocity, or continue with your hyperbole.  So, you do think the IDF is a worse actor than Hamas.  Thank you, and again, noted.

You asked for a quantitative answer. The issue is not what I "think" but what the evidence shows. 

Even Wikipedia has pages devoted to IDF war crimes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_war_crimes
And ongoing human rights violations against Palestinian civilians. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_violations_against_Palestinians_by_Israel

But "anecdotal" when the IDF does it, right? That's why you are so keen on NOT acknowledging this history,  
claiming it's the other guy who's mind is "firmly made up."

Apparently you are not interested in really answering your own question of quantity or frequency by considering the IDF's history. 
So much for sticking to actual dictionary definitions.

It is, as I said, your operating rule is that Israeli war crimes NOT be acknowledged. That you find acknowledgment "repugnant" is all you are willing to "note." 

(03-22-2024, 01:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: OMG he allowed work permits so that the Palestinians could have access to better paying jobs and improve their SOL, and would pave the way for peace.

The other part looks like he THOUGHT he would work with Hamas vs the PLO to achieve peace,
but it back fired. 
But I didn't see anything that says he directly Funded them as you claim.

You got that from reading this? 

For years, the various governments led by Benjamin Netanyahu took an approach that divided power between the Gaza Strip and the West Bank — bringing Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to his knees while making moves that propped up the Hamas terror group.
The idea was to prevent Abbas — or anyone else in the Palestinian Authority’s West Bank government — from advancing toward the establishment of a Palestinian state.
Thus, amid this bid to impair Abbas, Hamas was upgraded from a mere terror group to an organization with which Israel held indirect negotiations via Egypt, and one that
was allowed to receive infusions of cash from abroad.

And this?

Most of the time, Israeli policy was to treat the Palestinian Authority as a burden and Hamas as an asset. Far-right MK Bezalel Smotrich, now the finance minister in the hardline government and leader of the Religious Zionism party, said so himself in 2015.
According to various reports, Netanyahu made a similar point at a Likud faction meeting in early 2019, when he was quoted as saying that those who oppose a Palestinian state should support the transfer of funds to Gaza, because maintaining the separation between the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank and Hamas in Gaza would prevent the establishment of a Palestinian state.

The claim was never that Netanyahu directly funded Hamas. The claim is that he allowed for Hamas to receive millions in funding to strengthen it. Remember, Gaza is blockaded, with Israel controlling the flow of funds in and out.  A strong Hamas, the enemy of peace, would then BLOCK the peace efforts of Fatah and the Palestinian Authority. That's what Netanyahu wanted.

Yet somehow you've concluded that Netanyahu's support of the war faction in the Palestinian administration against the peace faction was to "achieve peace." 

I gave you some of the back story to this on the "German Hostage" in my post #70, responding to your post #68, in which you claimed Palestinians had been offered 94% of the West Bank and Arafat turned it down. There was an apparent peace process in movement. The PLO had recognized Israel in return for administrative control of some of the West Bank, a stop to settlements, with the discussion of statehood and sovereignty to begin 5 years after the '93 sigining of the Oslo Accords.

But the Prime minister who signed those accords was assassinated by a religious zealot. Netanyahu became prime minister in 1999 and continued the settlements. He was re-elected in 2009 and served until 2021, relected again in 2022. He spent most of his time in office ramping up Palestinian dispossession in East Jerusalem and the West Bank. He, along with Sharon (2001-06), did more than anyone on the Israeli side to crush the peace process and increase the settlements in the West Bank.

So empowering Hamas was a way to weaken the peace prospect, as was his annexation of the Golan heights and movement of the Capitol to Jerusalem.  Pursuing the Abraham Accords and normalization with Saudi Arabia was also a means to isolate the Palestinians, to make it easier for Israel to what it wanted in the occupied territories.