Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: { All Things Biden & Trump } (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-All-Things-Biden-Trump)
+---- Thread: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot (/Thread-Democratic-led-states-Remove-Trump-off-ballot)

Pages: 1 2

Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - Luvnit2 - 02-08-2024

I am listening to the Colorado's attempt to keep Trump off ballot.

My guess is Colorado loses, a state should not be permitted to keep a POTUS candidate off the ballot. Their insurrection argument is lame, it has never been proven ina court of law allowing Trump to defend the accusations.

I see this as one more reason most of the voters see Trump is being unfairly prosecuted and will back fire. I could be wrong and the Supraeme Court allows his removal, but if the do allow it, then any state run by Republican could remove Biden from the ballot.

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - Luvnit2 - 02-08-2024

The toughest questions came from Democratic appointed justices.

Why should an appointed (not voted in) secretary of state be given the power to remove a presidential candidate from the ballot?

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - Arturo Bandini - 02-08-2024

I would certainly fear for my judgement day if I voted for Trump.

You can fool us but you ain't fooling Jesus mate ...

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - pally - 02-08-2024

they won't rule on the insurrection question. The ruling will hinge on whether an individual state can keep a candidate off the ballot. Cases, BTW, that have been brought in the individual states by Republicans, not Democrats.

(02-08-2024, 03:10 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I would certainly fear for my judgement day if I voted for Trump.

You can fool us but you ain't fooling Jesus mate ...

I am a child of God, a sinner, but Jesus redeemed me and anyone who has sinned and will sin in the future. i pray daily and ask for forgiveness, I am confident and unafraid to meet death on earth. I know God, I hope you do as well.

(02-08-2024, 03:29 PM)pally Wrote: they won't rule on the insurrection question.  The ruling will hinge on whether an individual state can keep a candidate off the ballot.  Cases, BTW, that have been brought in the individual states by Republicans, not Democrats.

They did address the insurrection question in the oral arguments, I believe more than one justce brought up due process. They asked how do you define insurrection. They were very concerned any state could take steps to remove anyone off the ballot without a lack of due process as no one had a chance with a court of law and urrs to defend themselves. BTW, it was a judge appointed by a Democrat that raised the issue of Trump got no due process.

They said Colorado was making up a qualification to run for POTUS.

I see a possible unanimous decision stopping states from interfering in federal elections of the POTUS. I am guessing liberal media was bringing on guests with the opinion this was a slam dunk win for Colorado and any states wanting to remove Trump. It is one more example of liberal news delivering fake news to its viewers, telling them what they want to hear versus sound legal standards used.

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - HarleyDog - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 07:32 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see a possible unanimous decision stopping states from interfering in federal elections of the POTUS.

I hope so for the sake of our country. 

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - Belsnickel - 02-08-2024

Honestly, as much as I think Trump qualifies to be removed under the clause, I don't have any problems with SCOTUS keeping him on. I don't think everyone is thinking through the implications, though, when it comes to the power of the states to run their own elections, but that's a different matter. If people like giving the feds more power over the states then that is on them.

What my biggest concern over this case has been is just how bad the arguments from Trump have been. Like, really bad. SCOTUS will have to essentially make an argument for the Trump team in order to keep him on the ballot and not set awful precedents.

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - NATI BENGALS - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 09:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I hope so for the sake of our country. 

Is that because the guy who broke his oath of office and organized a slate of fake electors in multiple states to steal an election and illegally seize power, and lied to the American public on a daily basis, and incited the mob who ransacked the capital and searched for the vice president to hang him, because that guy and his cult following would do something stupid?

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 09:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, as much as I think Trump qualifies to be removed under the clause, I don't have any problems with SCOTUS keeping him on. I don't think everyone is thinking through the implications, though, when it comes to the power of the states to run their own elections, but that's a different matter. If people like giving the feds more power over the states then that is on them.

What my biggest concern over this case has been is just how bad the arguments from Trump have been. Like, really bad. SCOTUS will have to essentially make an argument for the Trump team in order to keep him on the ballot and not set awful precedents.

I think what we're going to see is not a ruling on whether a state can kick a POTUS candidate off the ballot, but rather whether the pretext for CO doing so is legitimate.  That would nice solve the usurpation of state's rights issue you mention in your post.  I think Kavanaugh's line of questioning indicates this when he asked if Trump had been charged with insurrection under a Federal law that precisely covers that.

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - Belsnickel - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 10:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think what we're going to see is not a ruling on whether a state can kick a POTUS candidate off the ballot, but rather whether the pretext for CO doing so is legitimate.  That would nice solve the usurpation of state's rights issue you mention in your post.  I think Kavanaugh's line of questioning indicates this when he asked if Trump had been charged with insurrection under a Federal law that precisely covers that.

Hmmm, that would be interesting. That approach would really go against textualist and originalist principles. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me, we both know how much of a cynic I am when it comes to SCOTUS, but there will likely be some acrobatics involved for them to get on board with that. We know Roberts will be working hard to ensure this isn't a typical 6-3 or 5-4 decision so they will really have a fine line to walk.

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - pally - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 07:32 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: They did address the insurrection question in the oral arguments, I believe more than one justce brought up due process. They asked how do you define insurrection. They were very concerned any state could take steps to remove anyone off the ballot without a lack of due process as no one had a chance with a court of law and urrs to defend themselves. BTW, it was a judge appointed by a Democrat that raised the issue of Trump got no due process.

They said Colorado was making up a qualification to run for POTUS.

I see a possible unanimous decision stopping states from interfering in federal elections of the POTUS. I am guessing liberal media was bringing on guests with the opinion this was a slam dunk win for Colorado and any states wanting to remove Trump. It is one more example of liberal news delivering fake news to its viewers, telling them what they want to hear versus sound legal standards used.

There was a single question to Trump's attorney about insurrection.  He essentially said it was a riot not an insurrection because an insurrection needed to be orderly.  Justice Jackson, rather sarcastically, responded "As opposed to chaotic?"

It is also possible the ruling will be that the 14th amendment doesn't apply to the ballot and that it is only unconstitutional to SEAT an insurrectionist to an elected office.  I suspect that this decision will be written as narrowly as possible so that it sets a minimum of presedence

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-09-2024

(02-08-2024, 10:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Hmmm, that would be interesting. That approach would really go against textualist and originalist principles. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me, we both know how much of a cynic I am when it comes to SCOTUS, but there will likely be some acrobatics involved for them to get on board with that.

How so? 

Quote:We know Roberts will be working hard to ensure this isn't a typical 6-3 or 5-4 decision so they will really have a fine line to walk.

Interesting that you say that.  I've read several tweets from court watchers who are predicting a 8-1, maybe even a 9-0 decision in Trumps favor based on the tenor of the judge's questioning.  I'm not talking about far-right people here, either.

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - Belsnickel - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 02:48 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: How so? 

Well, from a textualist perspective there is no requirement for charges or conviction. It is an entirely open question based on the text. From the originalist perspective, during the contemporary time period they did not require having been charged. Hell, they had people pardoned and still needed the disability removed by Congress. There is no historical precedent from the time of the amendment to justify the requirement of conviction or even indictment.

(02-09-2024, 02:48 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Interesting that you say that.  I've read several tweets from court watchers who are predicting a 8-1, maybe even a 9-0 decision in Trumps favor based on the tenor of the judge's questioning.  I'm not talking about far-right people here, either.

Oh, I expect that as the overall opinion. However, do the conservative justices write an opinion that the more liberal justices can't sign onto? Does Roberts try to write the opinion and provides one that is too milquetoast for the others? This case really needs a unified front on the court and the reasoning behind the opinion is a big part of that.

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - HarleyDog - 02-09-2024

(02-08-2024, 09:30 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Is that because the guy who broke his oath of office and organized a slate of fake electors in multiple states to steal an election and illegally seize power, and lied to the American public on a daily basis, and incited the mob who ransacked the capital and searched for the vice president to hang him, because that guy and his cult following would do something stupid?

What an imagination you have there Mr. Nati, B. It's not good for any state to feel they have the power to decide who becomes POTUS. Our political system is a joke already spiraling out of control. Could you imagine what allowing Colorado to interfere with the election could do for further elections to come? The problem with the lefties is all this wild bill bullshit they've been pulling for the last 7 years creates a precedent of things to come. This is why our political arena is becoming a joke. 

Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - pally - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 12:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What an imagination you have there Mr. Nati, B. It's not good for any state to feel they have the power to decide who becomes POTUS. Our political system is a joke already spiraling out of control. Could you imagine what allowing Colorado to interfere with the election could do for further elections to come? The problem with the lefties is all this wild bill bullshit they've been pulling for the last 7 years creates a precedent of things to come. This is why our political arena is becoming a joke. 

The Colorado lawsuit was filed by a life long Republican and former Trump voter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 01:20 PM)pally Wrote: The Colorado lawsuit was filed by a life long Republican and former Trump voter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You keep banging this drum like it has anything to do with the question at hand.  I'll save you some time, it doesn't.  Who brought this suit has zero bearing on its merits, implications, or validity.

(02-09-2024, 08:05 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, from a textualist perspective there is no requirement for charges or conviction. It is an entirely open question based on the text. From the originalist perspective, during the contemporary time period they did not require having been charged. Hell, they had people pardoned and still needed the disability removed by Congress. There is no historical precedent from the time of the amendment to justify the requirement of conviction or even indictment.

Leaving it a subjective litmus test.  Being subjective one could then make the argument that Trump does not meet the requirements.  I'm not saying he doesn't, but if the criteria is subjective an argument can be made.

Quote:Oh, I expect that as the overall opinion. However, do the conservative justices write an opinion that the more liberal justices can't sign onto? Does Roberts try to write the opinion and provides one that is too milquetoast for the others? This case really needs a unified front on the court and the reasoning behind the opinion is a big part of that.

I'd expect Roberts to write it and be as bland as possible.  I don't think the tenor of the decision will matter as much to the "conservative" justices as you might think.

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - Luvnit2 - 02-09-2024

The fact is Trump was never charged with insurrection. He was never given a chance to defend any attempts to defraud him calling him an insurrectionist. Those who keep beating no one is above the law, why are you for removing your opponent off the ballot when he was given no due process.

I don't care who brought up the idea to removeTrump from the ballot based on the opinion of far left judges and far left liberals.

I think we will look back in history and see these types of radical attempts to stop Trump from becoming the next POTUS will burn the Democratic party, not only for POTUS, but down ballot as well.

It was a mistake for all of these states to make the attempt on a former POTUS that the DOJ never charged with insurrection. Use common sense, the threw the book at him for the same thing Biden but did not attempt an insurrection indictment. Simple answer, they had no case to convict Trump of something he did not do regardless of how hard the far left attempts to use the false charge.

RE: Democratic led states - Remove Trump off ballot - MrRager - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 01:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You keep banging this drum like it has anything to do with the question at hand.  I'll save you some time, it doesn't.  Who brought this suit has zero bearing on its merits, implications, or validity.

Of course it doesn't, but it does have an impact on perception and discourse. I don't think Pally believes it matters for the outcome of the case itself, but is banging the drum because people incorrectly assert this is some far left scheme. Harley specifically calls out "lefties" in the post when a "rightie" actually brought the suit.

Even the title of the thread, which is factually accurate - Colorado is a Democrat led state, is clearly presented in a "Democrats=evil" fashion, while ignoring the Republican behind the suit. Definitely insignificant to the merits, implications, or validity, but significant in other discussions.