Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pally - 03-13-2024

it's official now

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - 007BengalsFan - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 03:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I heard that he played his best under Pollack as far fetched as that might sound. That sure isn't good though from you say.

A lot of people liked Becton in the Draft when he came out, but it sure sounds like he has been a bust from what you are saying.

He was the #11 pick in the 2020 draft and did pretty good as a rookie.  The problem is it has been down hill in the 3 years since.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 03:54 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: He was the #11 pick in the 2020 draft and did pretty good as a rookie.  The problem is it has been down hill in the 3 years since.

His rookie year was when he played for Pollack pretty sure, he might improve playing under him again as unlikely as that may seem.

Maybe some players just like certain coaches. I know La'el Collins loves Pollack and I would welcome him back if he is healthy.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 03:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I getcha, one thing though is that some of these so called moves could fall through if a workout doesn't work out etc.

Nothing is official until 4 est.

The acquisitions are always dependent on a medical. The releases are final. Williams is no longer a Charger. Scott no longer a Bengal.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - 007BengalsFan - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 03:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: His rookie year was when he played for Pollack pretty sure, he might improve playing under him again as unlikely as that may seem.

Maybe some players just like certain coaches. I know La'el Collins loves Pollack and I would welcome him back if he is healthy.

If you could get rookie level Becton you would be in good shape but I think signing him is risky given the 3 years since his rookie season. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Southpaw Frerotte - 03-13-2024

Of all teams, the Jets released Becton. I would hope the Bengals have better aspirations then signing a Jet cast-off to protect their franchise quarterback.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-13-2024

FWIW, top drawer available:

NT/DT: Reader
DT/3T: Armstead
OT: Smith, Brown
CB: Fuller
WR: Williams

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 04:03 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The acquisitions are always dependent on a medical. The releases are final. Williams is no longer a Charger. Scott no longer a Bengal.

I know that. We will see if some medicals fall through like Ogunjobi's did a few years ago after being a FA after playing for us.

(03-13-2024, 04:10 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If you could get rookie level Becton you would be in good shape but I think signing him is risky given the 3 years since his rookie season. 

Agree, it is risky, but so is not signing a RT in FA at all.

(03-13-2024, 04:14 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: Of all teams, the Jets released Becton.  I would hope the Bengals have better aspirations then signing a Jet cast-off to protect their franchise quarterback.

You would hope so, I would rather have Trent Brown for sure, he is older. It is only a stop gap though for the rookie we draft pretty sure.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nepa - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 04:16 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, top drawer available:

NT/DT: Reader
DT/3T: Armstead
OT: Smith, Brown
CB: Fuller
WR: Williams

I'll take one of each and then trade Higgins to Detroit for their 29th pick. 

There. Nate says we don't look enough for solutions, but I found one.

(03-13-2024, 04:20 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'll take one of each and then trade Higgins to Detroit for their 29th pick. 

Hey, that is all I ask lol  Hilarious

I am down with your plan Nepa. Smirk

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know that. We will see if some medicals fall through like Ogunjobi's did a few years ago after being a FA after playing for us.

Agree, it is risky, but so is not signing a RT in FA at all.

You would hope so, I would rather have Trent Brown for sure, he is older. It is only a stop gap though for the rookie we draft pretty sure.

The draft is loaded with RT prosects. We should be able to land with #18 pick. But I hope we sign a one year starting RT. I would not be opposed to bringing Jonah back either for 3 years and 33 million. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nepa - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 04:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hey, that is all I ask lol  Hilarious

I am down with your plan Nepa. Smirk

Only a couple steps before I can implement my solution. I have to win the lottery, buy the Bengals, bring you on as GM, and convince bfine to suit up to be the LG.

(03-13-2024, 04:20 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'll take one of each and then trade Higgins to Detroit for their 29th pick. 

Ha! When FA started I thought we could realistically go Highins + Reader + 1 more big fish. 

I dreamed of a Goldilocks scenario (Higgins extended, Reader for a discount) where we could get two in addition to DJ & Tee. With aggressive restructuring/cuts, maybe 2 + a vet S. 

Now I will be happy to just get Reader back.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Wyche'sWarrior - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 02:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: Yeah, I'm delighted by Gesicki. Definitely a good weapon for Burrow and can cause nightmares for opposing defenses. But another one-year signing!  If he goes back to form this year, he will go the route of Hurst and Uzumah and sign for big bucks on another team next year.

Me too, I wanted Gesicki last year.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 03:52 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Bengals are probably looking to get him at a "value" price.   Maybe 15 million instead of the cost of 17.41 for a trade.

Doubtful, as Armstead refused a contract restructure in favor of being released.  Clearly he thinks that he's worth every cent of his current pay (and likely then some)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - michaelsean - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 04:25 PM)Nepa Wrote: Only a couple steps before I can implement my solution. I have to win the lottery, buy the Bengals, bring you on as GM, and convince bfine to suit up to be the LG.

As good as done I would think. May have to win a few lotteries though.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalstripes9 - 03-13-2024

There are a lot of OTs left to be signed. I've been hearing it's because the draft class is deep.

But also look at the top OTs available:
Tyron Smith and Trent Brown have had trouble staying on the field in the past.
Either are great options if they are healthy, but it could be hard to put a dollar amount on the risk and you don't want to commit to too many years with them.

Other options are average at best like Jonah Williams. Jonah hasn't been exactly durable either.
Becton is trash and injury prone. Definitely not a good option.
I also see Josh Yinman from the Packers on the top 100 list who is durable, but probably a league average guy at best. I know nothing about him.
Maybe Andus Peat could be looked at for a tackle, or Donnavon Smith from the Chiefs. Don't know much about these guys either but assume they are average at best.

Overall there are a lot of names available still. Bengals aren't the only team not wanting to commit too much to average starters or great players that are often injured. The draft class for tackles is very good and the FA crop isn't--which is why there are a lot of names left on the list.

I think the Bengals will find someone to be either a potential elite T with injury risk, and back him up with Carman and a rookie.
Or sign a league average guy and draft a tackle to compete with him for the job.

Either way it seems like we need to take an OT with our top pick. It's not ideal in terms of flexibility with how the draft falls.
But if there is a run we could just draft a DT and pick an OT later in the draft if its a deep class.

For DT, it's pretty much Reader as far as an immediate starter. He'll command a lot of money.
Bengals could miss out but he's 30 so it would be ideal to find a suitable replacement in the draft anyway.
I don't like having two immediate large needs that need addressing in the draft.
If you get a late 1st for Higgins you can address both needs in the 1st, but then you need a replacement WR2. Not a lot of options in FA.
Again, you're looking to the draft.
If we lose (3) solid starters in Reader, Higgins, and Jonah (to a lesser extent) and replace them with (3) draft picks you end up getting worse as a team.
This is a tough nut to crack, but the Bengals could improve if they make a couple savvy signings at CB and along the dline (and hit on the draft picks).

I'd prefer not to spend too much on average OTs. I'd like to see a 2 year deal for Tyron Smith.
I'd be open to spending more to keep Reader. We need another 3T to improve the rotation as well.
Bengals need to make some savvy CB/Dline/WR signings to lower the amount of draft needs going into the draft.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Wyche'sWarrior - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 03:12 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I’m becoming frustrated, and when I become frustrated I fart.

Well, we could use a FA RT, so.....

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - jj22 - 03-13-2024

Where is Collins? I'd welcome him back before Becton.

(03-13-2024, 04:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: Where is Collins? I'd welcome him back before Becton.

La'el? Oh yeah, if he is healthy he is a much better player than Becton as of late.