Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 09:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Well that is kinda pricey for Jonah but he also is going to a division where he doesn't have to face a lot of big time edge rushers so it benefits him.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 09:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: He is lighter but Tart is a NT, he has played a ton of 2 gap over center and in the 1 hole.  He was the Titans starting NT.

His PFF rankings are pretty terrible compared to Reader from what I saw. Would rather have DJ, that is light for a NT.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - sandwedge - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 08:54 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I know it is early days still. And there are legit FAs still out there that would help us. Reader, Armstead, Jones, Fuller. But the list is getting shorter. 

And, it does not have to be the way I thought/hoped it would go. I thought we'd tag  Tee, sign Reader, take an OT #18, and sign a vet S, cut Scott, and make a play for 1 more significant FA (DT, bridge OT, TE, CB4, RB, IOL). 

We tagged Tee, OT at #18 looks more likely by the minute, we got the vet S, we cut Scott. 

But of the guys we have signed/tagged/tendered, most were backups last year. That is a fact. I did not have that on my bingo card. 

Starters: Higgins, Stone, Adomitis. 

Reserves: Moss, Gesicki, Browning, D. Sample, ADG, T. Williams, Ford. 

If we didn't want to pay Reader, then pay a CB. Or at DT/3T. Or a RT. Or a TE. Or a G. Something. 
Who do you have as our starting TE?  

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 09:21 PM)Joelist Wrote: Well that is kinda pricey for Jonah but he also is going to a division where he doesn't have to face a lot of big time edge rushers so it benefits him.

I bet Jonah does well there, he just gets dominated in our Division though, bad matchups against Garrett, Watt and company for Jonah.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - samhain - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 09:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, I wasn't happy at all with Zach Carter. This is another big time upgrade with Sheldon Rankins.

Both of these guys can stop the run but Rankins is probably the better overall pass rusher and run stopper and I love BJ Hill.

Bring back DJ Reader though please. Tart is not the answer, he is another 3-tech.

He might not be as heavy as some NTs, but I'm fairly sure he is one.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - casear2727 - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 09:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, I wasn't happy at all with Zach Carter. This is another big time upgrade with Sheldon Rankins.

Both of these guys can stop the run but Rankins is probably the better overall pass rusher and run stopper and I love BJ Hill.

Bring back DJ Reader though please. Tart is not the answer, he is another 3-tech.

Tart is a NT, why do you keep saying this?  Just because of his weight?  

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/titans-are-waiving-starting-nose-tackle-teair-tart

Tim Settle and Poona Ford are still options.  Not great ones, but options.

(03-13-2024, 09:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: His PFF rankings are pretty terrible compared to Reader from what I saw. Would rather have DJ, that is light for a NT.

He was a monster up until things went sideways locker-room wise in Tennessee.  He didn't get a contract and his play went downhill.  Not a great look, but I think Vrabel's culture had run it's course.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - michaelsean - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 09:25 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, pass rushers tended to look good against the Bengals. Rankins problem is that he is not the ideal DT for the AFCN in that he is know for pass rushing and not a run defender. I was hoping for Armstead, but this signing removes the pressure to get a DT. Still need the NT and RT. Hoping for Brown at RT at this point.

But we don’t really have a pass rushing interior lineman. Some pressure up the middle will be welcome.

(03-13-2024, 09:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: His PFF rankings are pretty terrible compared to Reader from what I saw. Would rather have DJ, that is light for a NT.

Everyone in the world would rather have DJ.  I am just being realistic.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - BengalsLUFC - 03-13-2024

Who’s still out there as a nose in FA?

Might have to sign one of these OT as a back up plan in case they are off the board at 18 and see where we are on draft night.

God I wish we could get Reader done would set us up nicely.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 09:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Well, good for him.  No matter how football turns out, he'll at least be set for life from that deal.  Best of luck to him with the Cardinals, they are a team on the rise this offseason.

(03-13-2024, 09:25 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, pass rushers tended to look good against the Bengals. Rankins problem is that he is not the ideal DT for the AFCN in that he is known for pass rushing and not a run defender. I was hoping for Armstead, but this signing removes the pressure to get a DT. Still need the NT and RT. Hoping for Brown at RT at this point.

What a crazy take.  iDL pass rush has been a problem for the last 2 seasons.  We still have BJ..... there is no pleasing some of you. 

A serviceable NT is all they need now on the dline.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 09:29 PM)casear2727 Wrote: What a crazy take.  iDL pass rush has been a problem for the last 2 seasons.  We still have BJ..... there is no pleasing some of you. 

A serviceable NT is all they need now on the dline.

Exactly. Rankins gives us back the 3T rotation we lost when Ogunjobi departed. Now we just need a hammer of a NT and the DL is improved. 

(03-13-2024, 09:28 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Who’s still out there as a nose in FA?

Might have to sign one of these OT as a back up plan in case they are off the board at 18 and see where we are on draft night.

God I wish we could get Reader done would set us up nicely.

I just posted them; Tart, Tim Settle, and Poona Ford

(03-13-2024, 09:30 PM)Joelist Wrote: Exactly. Rankins gives us back the 3T rotation we lost when Ogunjobi departed. Now we just need a hammer of a NT and the DL is improved. 

It is amazing that a good pass rushing DT3 is not considered a good fit for the AFCN on this message board.....

(03-13-2024, 09:24 PM)samhain Wrote: He might not be as heavy as some NTs, but I'm fairly sure he is one.

Cool Sam, just seems so light for a NT now a days.

(03-13-2024, 09:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Tart is a NT, why do you keep saying this?  Just because of his weight?  

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/titans-are-waiving-starting-nose-tackle-teair-tart

Tim Settle and Poona Ford are still options.  Not great ones, but options.

Sorry, you are correct, yes that is really light for a NT and that is why I kept saying it.

Really liked Settle and Ford in college, maybe they just need a change of scenery.

(03-13-2024, 09:26 PM)samhain Wrote: He was a monster up until things went sideways locker-room wise in Tennessee.  He didn't get a contract and his play went downhill.  Not a great look, but I think Vrabel's culture had run it's course.

Okay, cool, didn't know about that Samhain. Makes me like the thought much more now.

(03-13-2024, 09:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Everyone in the world would rather have DJ.  I am just being realistic.

You are dialed in that DJ signs with the Lions are you Casear?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - michaelsean - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 09:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, good for him.  No matter how football turns out, he'll at least be set for life from that deal.  Best of luck to him with the Cardinals, they are a team on the rise this offseason.

He was set for life with his previous deal unless he’s a moron.

(03-13-2024, 09:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool Sam, just seems so light for a NT now a days.

Sorry, you are correct, yes that is really light for a NT and that is why I kept saying it.

Really liked Settle and Ford in college, maybe they just need a change of scenery.

Okay, cool, didn't know about that Samhain. Makes me like the thought much more now.

You are dialed in that DJ signs with the Lions are you Casear?

Lapham was gushing about him when they played us.  He really screwed up his reputation in Tennessee.  Bad enough to get cut.  But, when he hit waivers, the Bengals were one of the teams that put in a claim.  

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - THE PISTONS - 03-13-2024

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 09:25 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, pass rushers tended to look good against the Bengals. Rankins problem is that he is not the ideal DT for the AFCN in that he is known for pass rushing and not a run defender. I was hoping for Armstead, but this signing removes the pressure to get a DT. Still need the NT and RT. Hoping for Brown at RT at this point.

It'll be alright.  Coach Lou knows how to rotate his personnel.  Joshua Tupau will have to start earning his pay for two downs, then rotate to BJ and Rankins for 3rd down..