Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 03:00 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: This does not paint tart in the best light

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/titans-release-teair-tart-tennessee-moves-on-from-starting-dl-over-contract-personal-issues-per-report/

The Titans on Friday ruled defensive lineman Teair Tart out for Sunday's Week 15 game against the Texans. It turns out the veteran starter won't suit up for Tennessee again, with the club releasing Tart amid a personal dispute, according to Paul Kuharsky.

Tart confirmed that he was being released on social media later Friday. He said that he requested to be cut.

Tart, 26, hadn't practiced all week due to an undisclosed personal issue. Now, he's parting ways "after season-long issues reached a breaking point," per Kuharsky. The discord reportedly stemmed from Tart's desire for a new contract, as well as the Titans' recent dissatisfaction with Tart's "effort and attitude."

The Philadelphia native was scheduled to hit free agency this offseason after signing a one-year, $4.3 million restricted-free-agent tender last spring. But his relationship with the Titans also soured in part due to his conditioning, per Kuharsky.

Yep, that pretty much describes him as a CANCER to the locker room.  I would like to be a fly on the wall when that topic comes up in his interview.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - QueenCity - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 03:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, that pretty much describes him as a CANCER to the locker room.  I would like to be a fly on the wall when that topic comes up in his interview.

Interesting to me that the Bengals would consider bringing him in... since Zac has got here we've drafted or brought in only high character guys.

Unless they are counting on the culture to reign him in.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-14-2024

Before dismissing Tart as a cancer, remember the entire Titan locker room imploded last season culminating in Mike Vrabel being fired. I'm sure Zac Taylor with his reputation of having one of the best locker room cultures in the league has done his homework here.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 03:08 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Interesting to me that the Bengals would consider bringing him in... since Zac has got here we've drafted or brought in only high character guys.

They must really feel like they aren't going to reach an agreement with Reader, or that he won't be ready for action for a significant part of the season.  Because hosting guys like Tart really reeks of desperation.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - 007BengalsFan - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 03:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: Before dismissing Tart as a cancer, remember the entire Titan locker room imploded last season culminating in Mike Vrabel being fired. I'm sure Zac Taylor with his reputation of having one of the best locker room cultures in the league has done his homework here.

How many of those other guys complained about their contract, refused to practice then asked to be released?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - WeezyBengal - 03-14-2024

I am actually warming up to the idea of bringing Tart in (ignoring this locker room stuff).

I think if Reader didn't have the season ending injury he would have been signed yesterday. Give me a healthy 27 year old over a 30 year old with two bum legs who may miss the first half of the season. We still need to draft a DT though.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 02:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Our medical staff, FO and coaches know more than we all do about DJ's quad injury and around how early he will be able to play if ever.

I will trust them on this, but if DJ goes to the Lions and is playing and playing decent by mid season I think it would be a mistake to not
at least match what the Lions give him unless it is astronomical. 

This has been my point the whole time. We have gotten some excellent value with Gesicki, Stone, & Bell. Decent value with Moss. And we were willing to overpay a bit for Rankins (who had half his sacks vs Volson and stinks vs the run). And for Sample ($4.9 mil) and ADG ($3 mil). 

But we have some imaginary line in the sand on Reader? Pay the elite guy. Save $3-$5 mil elsewhere. Restructure someone (OBJ, Burrow). It isn't complicated. 

We seem to want to "win" every transaction instead of viewing it wholistically. 

(03-14-2024, 03:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They must really feel like they aren't going to reach an agreement with Reader, or that he won't be ready for action for a significant part of the season.  Because hosting guys like Tart really reeks of desperation.

It does.  The question is why dont they just pay Reader?  Maybe Reader is asking for something crazy.  Who knows.  There are many times however we sit here and say "why didnt the Bengals sign him for that"

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 03:08 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Interesting to me that the Bengals would consider bringing him in... since Zac has got here we've drafted or brought in only high character guys.

I think we can have a serious debate on Mixon's character. 

Carman isn't fantastic. 

But generally, you are correct. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - 3wt - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 03:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They must really feel like they aren't going to reach an agreement with Reader, or that he won't be ready for action for a significant part of the season.  Because hosting guys like Tart really reeks of desperation.

That's my read as well - which really sucks.

Seems like the asking price for nose tackles has massively escalated with the new salary cap.  That combined with Reader's age and injury will probably make both sides decline.

More's the pity.   He's a really good one.  And I understand he's had injury issues and he's long in the tooth.  But he plays lights out when he's healthy.   He's a stud.

I hope they can do an incentive laden contract that will pay him his worth if he's healthy.   Because he's a necessary force in the middle, and must be combined with other players.

Do what it takes Bengals.  Figure it out.  Don't do another Whitworth.  Not now.

(03-14-2024, 03:18 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: It does.  The question is why dont they just pay Reader?  Maybe Reader is asking for something crazy.  Who knows.  There are many times however we sit here and say "why didnt the Bengals sign him for that"

We will see when he signs, here or elsewhere. But it is something we could have afforded. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - QueenCity - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 03:19 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think we can have a serious debate on Mixon's character. 

Carman isn't fantastic. 

But generally, you are correct. 

Mixon was a Marvin Lewis pick - and for the most part cleaned up his act until recently. 

Carman is a bust all around lol

(03-14-2024, 03:18 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: It does.  The question is why dont they just pay Reader?  Maybe Reader is asking for something crazy.  Who knows.  There are many times however we sit here and say "why didnt the Bengals sign him for that"

They may have not even offered Reader or want him back. 

People are significantly downplaying his injury and are just saying "I want Reader back!". Bengals front office knows waaaay more than us regarding his injury and availablity to actually be healthy, effective, and available next season.

(03-14-2024, 03:21 PM)3wt Wrote: That's my read as well - which really sucks.

Seems like the asking price for nose tackles has massively escalated with the new salary cap.  That combined with Reader's age and injury will probably make both sides decline.

More's the pity.   He's a really good one.  And I understand he's had injury issues and he's long in the tooth.  But he plays lights out when he's healthy.   He's a stud.

I hope they can do an incentive laden contract that will pay him his worth if he's healthy.   Because he's a necessary force in the middle, and must be combined with other players.

Do what it takes Bengals.  Figure it out.  Don't do another Whitworth.  Not now.

He's 29. Hardly long in the tooth.

Rankins is 29.

(03-14-2024, 03:17 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: This has been my point the whole time. We have gotten some excellent value with Gesicki, Stone, & Bell. Decent value with Moss. And we were willing to overpay a bit for Rankins (who had half his sacks vs Volson and stinks vs the run). And for Sample ($4.9 mil) and ADG ($3 mil). 

But we have some imaginary line in the sand on Reader? Pay the elite guy. Save $3-$5 mil elsewhere. Restructure someone (OBJ, Burrow). It isn't complicated. 

We seem to want to "win" every transaction instead of viewing it wholistically. 
This has been a real problem over the years.  I don't know how much it is now, but it has been a very long term issue.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pally - 03-14-2024

Gesicki came to Cincinnati because of the positive things told to him by Teddy Karras and BFF Nick Bowers.

but he also said they could have said it was a horrible place but #9 was worth coming for. JoeyB reached out to him on Tuesday

(03-14-2024, 03:22 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: He's 29. Hardly long in the tooth.

Rankins is 29.

It has to be either injury concerns, asking price or both.    

Incentivize it and pay the man.  He's a great player.  Our ability to stop the run has been largely dependent on him.   When he was out of the lineup we were toast.

(03-14-2024, 03:21 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They may have not even offered Reader or want him back. 

People are significantly downplaying his injury and are just saying "I want Reader back!". Bengals front office knows waaaay more than us regarding his injury and availablity to actually be healthy, effective, and available next season.

I would probably be more concerned if he hadnt already had this injury with his other leg.  The last time it happened, he came back as good as new and helped us get to the Super Bowl.  He seems to recovering well ahead of the last time. 

I do understand the other side of the argument about his injury history and moving on.  For me I would rather take a chance on Reader coming back healthy than I would Tart is going to come in and help this defense as much as Reader.  No matter who they sign at NT, I still would like to see Sweat drafted in the 2nd as depth and potential future NT replacement if Sweat is still there in the 2nd.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Au165 - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 03:21 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They may have not even offered Reader or want him back. 

Someone reported the other day Lions, us and someone else were all in pursuit of Reader so we were atleast looking at it. I do wonder if we were looking for more of a one year deal to see how he bounces back though.

(03-14-2024, 03:30 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I would probably be more concerned if he hadnt already had this injury with his other leg.  The last time it happened, he came back as good as new and helped us get to the Super Bowl.  He seems to recovering well ahead of the last time. 

I do understand the other side of the argument about his injury history and moving on.  For me I would rather take a chance on Reader coming back healthy than I would Tart is going to come in and help this defense as much as Reader.  No matter who they sign at NT, I still would like to see Sweat drafted in the 2nd as depth and potential future NT replacement if Sweat is still there in the 2nd.

I trust the Bengals front office on this one.