Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - CottonHill - 03-14-2024

We are not contenders. Too many AFC teams have surpassed us. We are only above average at two position groups, WR and QB

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - BengalFanInCanada - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 07:34 PM)CottonHill Wrote: We are not contenders. Too many AFC teams have surpassed us. We are only above average at two position groups, WR and QB

When you have an elite QB, you are a contender.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - casear2727 - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 07:34 PM)CottonHill Wrote: We are not contenders. Too many AFC teams have surpassed us. We are only above average at two position groups, WR and QB

For those of us that have watched the NFL for many years March is not really the optimal time to declare contenders and non-contenders.  

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 07:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: For those of us that have watched the NFL for many years March is not really the optimal time to declare contenders and non-contenders.  

Our "non contending" team despite all its problems last season was a dropped TD pass by Boyd from making postseason, and finished 9-8 in the toughest division in the NFL. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Stewy - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 06:42 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I’m sorry, im just passionate. Love my team, don’t love the moves. Is that okay? Or should I just remain quiet?

Of course, I was just giving you shyt.  I'm not a gatekeeper.

You do you, but don't be surprised when people take your passion for hysteria.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Stewy - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 07:41 PM)Joelist Wrote: Our "non contending" team despite all its problems last season was a dropped TD pass by Boyd from making postseason, and finished 9-8 in the toughest division in the NFL. 

Without their Top 3 starting QB for half the season.....

But no need to bring reality into peoples hysteria.....they like it there.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Synric - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 07:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am i sync with you most of the time. I think the Bengals took a major weakness of lack of experience and poor communication in 2023 and made our safety room a huge upgrade.

In 2023, we gave up big play after big play. Lou said it many times, our communication is the cause of the big plays.

Geno Stone is smart with great instincts and vision he is always in the right spot everything you said... but you aren't gonna use the description "plays with that dawg in him" with Stone. He is an inconsistent finesse tackler that doesn't really "attack" his run fits. That's why he has such a huge discrepancy between his coverage and run defense grades on PFF.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 07:52 PM)Synric Wrote: Geno Stone is smart with great instincts and vision he is always in the right spot everything you said... but you aren't gonna use the description "plays with that dawg in him" with Stone. He is an inconsistent finesse tackler that doesn't really "attack" his run fits. That's why he has such a huge discrepancy between his coverage and run defense grades on PFF.

That's what Battle excels in, so they might make a pretty damn good tandem.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - michaelsean - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 07:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: For those of us that have watched the NFL for many years March is not really the optimal time to declare contenders and non-contenders.  

I’m gonna go ahead and declare the Browns Super Bowl favorites and get it out of the way.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - michaelsean - 03-14-2024

Seems like Rankin and if signed, Tart will give us a much better interior pass rush than what we’ve had. Two guys instead of pretty much no guys.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Synric - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 07:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's what Battle excels in, so they might make a pretty damn good tandem.

Don't mind me I'm just still a little salty they didn't extend Bates in 2020. 

(03-14-2024, 08:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Seems like Rankin and if signed, Tart will give us a much better interior pass rush than what we’ve had. Two guys instead of pretty much no guys.

Ima call bullshit on this.  BJ Hill had 4.5 sacks, Rankins had 6 (3 of which came against us..) Hill also had 21 QB hits to go along with those sacks , and Rankins only had 10.  Previous to last year, Rankins averages maybe 3.0 sacks/year, last year was the anomaly, just hoping that the Bengals didn't buy "fools gold" with him, because I'm not ready to anoint him as the interior pass rush savior just yet.

(03-14-2024, 08:14 PM)Synric Wrote: Don't mind me I'm just still a little salty they didn't extend Bates in 2020. 

Mmm Hmm, I'm sure that there are more of us.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-14-2024

A healthy Joe Burrow makes an instant contender. 

I would add saftey 2 above average position group. I would place kicker to above average position group. i would add ST to above average position groups (coverage and return teams).

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-14-2024

Let's remember it isn't Rankins instead of Hill it's Rankins WITH Hill. Last time we had the duo interior pass rush was 2021 when Hill and Ogunjobi gave us 12.5 sacks from the inside. Last year we got Hill's 4.5 and basically nothing else. What Rankins returns to us is the inside pass rush combo we had - and that is no small thing.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 08:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Mmm Hmm, I'm sure that there are more of us.

I try to look forward as no control with past moves. Bates got a huge contract and so did Bell. One of them got back for league minimum as Carolina pays him. 

We lost Bell for. year, but are able now to get him back in a year hopefully Joey B. stays healthy. Stone may not be the best tackler, but neither was Bates. His value is getting defense set, interceptions (Bates was average at best in this area) and making sure we don't give up, 30, 40, 5o yard plays because guys are out of position.

(03-14-2024, 08:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: A healthy Joe Burrow makes an instant contender. 

I would add saftey 2 above average position group. I would place kicker to above average position group. i would add ST to above average position groups (coverage and return teams).

Hmm, that remains to be seen how the moves this offseason play out.  Last year, the Bengals experienced a meteoric drop in quality of Safety play, and that impact resonated throughout the entire defense.  In case anyone hasn't noticed, Coach Lou's defense is Safety centric, meaning how they read, recognize, and communicate is key to the performance of the entire defense, not "just" the secondary.

Last year when Bates and Bell were both allowed to walk was a major faux pas by the organization to Coach Lou.  The appear to have made moves to help correct that situation with the addition of ball hawk Stone and bringing back reliable Vonn Bell.  We'll see if it plays out as scripted.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - sandwedge - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 05:54 PM)Stewy Wrote: This is just dumb.  If we're signing him to play RT, then he knows he's playing RT and must be fine with it.  He, his agent and our O aren't going to go through this process without asking the key question "Are you ok with playing RT here when you weren't fine with it in New York?"

Really it seems some of you think our FO just bounces of walls and only sign guys when they get dizzy and trip over them.
Thanks Stewy, I was just thinking the same thing reading thru all this globality gook.. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - depthchart - 03-14-2024

I believe the Bengals are Contenders but may have been a little "content" with their Roster.

Maybe thinking that the 2023 Roster would have been good enough to win (had Burrow stayed healthy) 

Behaving like the Roster only needed tweaked in 2024 Free Agency.

Certain other Teams appeared to be Bolder in Free Agency to try to boost their Rosters in some way 

versus maintaining one at a somewhat similar level to what it was the year before.

***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - BenZoo2 - 03-14-2024

You’re right, we’re not. Now go whine and troll on some other teams’ boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk