Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - sandwedge - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 09:55 PM)pally Wrote: Dinner at Jeff Ruby’s tonight for all the new guys and hopefully soon to new guys.  It worked before so fingers crossed it gets Tart and Becton’s deals done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Becton has a couple of more teams to visit...

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - sandwedge - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 07:34 PM)CottonHill Wrote: We are not contenders. Too many AFC teams have surpassed us. We are only above average at two position groups, WR and QB

You'll fit right in with the Gameday forum......5 minute into the game, all hope is lost.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 09:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: IMHO, the main reason so many free agents do not work out is that the NFL has the tampering periods backwards. 

Currently teams can talk to agents during the legal tampering period but cannot talk with players until 3 days later when the new league year begins.  This means that all the talk is about dollars and contract structures instead of communicating with the player's fit and what his role would or could be.  As soon as the new league year begins the race is on to sign players.

If teams could talk to players first for 3 days, then talk to agents about contracts, I believe teams would sign players that could be better fits for their schemes & existing personnel. 

Agreed. It is also one reason I think we've done better at this in the Zac era - they have been pretty focused on ensuring culture and system fits over "name" and also generally go for younger players now. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 10:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: Agreed. It is also one reason I think we've done better at this in the Zac era - they have been pretty focused on ensuring culture and system fits over "name" and also generally go for younger players now. 

Hopefully they change this, because that makes a lot of sense what Casear and you said. The tampering period is backwards.

Should be able to talk to the player before the agent.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - michaelsean - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 09:55 PM)pally Wrote: Dinner at Jeff Ruby’s tonight for all the new guys and hopefully soon to new guys. It worked before so fingers crossed it gets Tart and Becton’s deals done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No wonder they don’t have the cash for guaranteed money. What happened to Wendy’s?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pally - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 10:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Becton has a couple of more teams to visit...

He stayed for dinner instead of moving onto the next interview.  

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - phil413 - 03-14-2024

(03-14-2024, 10:50 PM)pally Wrote: He stayed for dinner instead of moving onto the next interview.  

Becton watch, who had this on their free agent bingo card?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-14-2024

I'm actually more interested in Tart than Becton.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - THE PISTONS - 03-14-2024

Hollywood Brown to Chiefs 1 year, $11 million.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pulses - 03-14-2024

K Allen to the Bears for a 4th

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pulses - 03-14-2024

Chiefs just signed Hollywood Brown 1 yr 11 million.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nicomo Cosca - 03-15-2024

(03-14-2024, 11:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hollywood Brown to Chiefs 1 year, $11 million.

Hopefully that means Boyd doesn’t go there now. Crazy as it sounds I’d almost rather see him on the Steelers.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - bonesaw - 03-15-2024

Becton had some nasty film coming out of college. Just watched a couple games from last year. I think he's better than Jonah. Can he or will he play RT? Bring him on if so is my vote

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - THE PISTONS - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 12:14 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Becton had some nasty film coming out of college.  Just watched a couple games from last year.  I think he's better than Jonah.  Can he or will he play RT?  Bring him on if so is my vote

He has potential to be better than Jonah. He also has the potential to miss 17 games.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - bonesaw - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 12:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He has potential to be better than Jonah. He also has the potential to miss 17 games.

True but if you're gonna roll the dice might as well be on a monster like this.  Not much out there but old guys, which would be ok to as a stop gap.  Gotta do something

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Synric - 03-15-2024

Hollywood Brown to the Chiefs is bad... very bad. I'm not a Brown fan but the fit for the Chiefs is ridiculous.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - tms - 03-15-2024

(03-14-2024, 08:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: Have we done enough to warrant drafting Bowers at 18 if he fell. That I don’t know with it meaning pushing OT and DT needs to day two….

That would have made this FA a success.

Have we lost that luxury?

I think we have lost that luxury. And I hope I'm wrong. I love what we've done with the secondary. There are a lot of options now for a DB savant like Lou. Moss for Mixon is tomayto tomahto. Re-upping Sample and signing Gesicki for pennies on the dollar was a coup, but that's not the reason why I think we've lost the luxury to take Bowers. I just think we've backed ourselves into a corner where we absolutely need a RT1. We misplayed our hand there, particularly if we sign Becton. I've been listening to Jets fans cry about him for four years- even when he was playing "well" as per PFF- and their line is as notoriously bad as ours. If Reiff, La'el and Jonah couldn't get the job done, then Mekhi Becton couldn't possibly be the guy either.  

And I absolutely love love love Bowers. So it's painful to admit. But if we're sitting there at 18 staring at Bowers / Fautanu / Byron Murphy II / Quinton and a glut of second-tier receivers, I think it's Fautanu by default- and he'd be way down my board otherwise.

As for a 1-tech to spell Reader, I think it's moot. I don't see anyone with a Round 1 grade. It's just not a NT-laden draft. There's no telling if they could evolve into that eventually (e.g., Johnny Newton) but even if they do, they're not ready to do it next year for a Super Bowl-winning team like ours.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengal Dude - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 12:14 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Becton had some nasty film coming out of college.  Just watched a couple games from last year.  I think he's better than Jonah.  Can he or will he play RT?  Bring him on if so is my vote

I imagine Becton will be willing to play RT on a one year deal. Gives him a chance to look good and then cash in next season.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - THE PISTONS - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 12:26 AM)bonesaw Wrote: True but if you're gonna roll the dice might as well be on a monster like this.  Not much out there but old guys, which would be ok to as a stop gap.  Gotta do something

I don't recall many times that signing the former 1st Round bust that's often injured works out.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - bengalsboy - 03-15-2024

I'm sure they told him,they need him at right tackle,before they had him fly to Cincinnati.