Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Soonerpeace - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 09:45 AM)Nepa Wrote: Next year, remind me to ignore posts about all the Bengals cap space and how competitors like KC will be in trouble. Somehow, the Chiefs managed to sign Chris Jones, keep Sneed, and add Hollywood Brown. They lose their all-pro punter and pick up the Punt God. Even the three teams in the AFCN, supposedly in cap hell, at least relative to the Bengals, all made some splash signings. I'm beginning to think the salary cap is just a state of mind.

I’m leaning your way. They seem to be running scared of what’s coming next year with Chase.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalbug - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 09:56 AM)jj22 Wrote: They haven't really committed to any of these FA signings. 

That was one of my big surprises. 70m and not cornerstone piece. No foundation piece for the next 3-4 years. And with 21m already spent on a 1 year rental, it'll be hard to say we got much out of this final (pre Burrow contract cap hit) FA splurge 2 years from now. 

You typically don’t get cornerstone players in FA. The bengals have actually done a pretty decent job navigating this FA period, IMO.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 09:59 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Apparently Tart, Becton, and Burrow, Pollack and some others were at Ruby's last night.

We all know that these guys are most likely going to sign after going to Ruby's with Burrow - that's the closing.

I just find it hilarious that we are whoring Burrow out to sign guys like Tart and Becton lol

Burrow makes these decisions for himself - I don't think his contract requires him to go to Ruby's with incoming players. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 10:04 AM)Joelist Wrote: Burrow makes these decisions for himself - I don't think his contract requires him to go to Ruby's with incoming players. 

I mean why turn down a reason to go to Rubys

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - phil413 - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 10:01 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: You typically don’t get cornerstone players in FA.  The bengals have actually done a pretty decent job navigating this FA period, IMO.

A common theme is not having a bunch of guaranteed money beyond this year.  This is not only for Burrow and Chase,  but others.  They may be serious about resigning Tee, though his agent says otherwise.  Either way, they'll have to draft well to extend the window, no way around it.  

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Soonerpeace - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 10:04 AM)Joelist Wrote: Burrow makes these decisions for himself - I don't think his contract requires him to go to Ruby's with incoming players. 

Well who knows Joe’s feelings on this free agency.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 09:59 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I just find it hilarious that we are whoring Burrow out to sign guys like Tart and Becton lol

Are we sure that's the case?  I mean if I were Burrow, I would certainly want a prospective protector to get to know me well, as we're likely going to be working very closely together and need to be on the same page.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - jj22 - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 10:01 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: You typically don’t get cornerstone players in FA.  The bengals have actually done a pretty decent job navigating this FA period, IMO.

You don't? How can you say that after the class of 2020 and 2021 for the Bengals (if you choose to ignore the rest of the league).

(03-15-2024, 10:10 AM)phil413 Wrote: A common theme is not having a bunch of guaranteed money beyond this year.  This is not only for Burrow and Chase,  but others.  They may be serious about resigning Tee, though his agent says otherwise.  Either way, they'll have to draft well to extend the window, no way around it.  

Forget about Tee; Mulugheta clients almost never resign with their original team. Chase I am hopeful we get an extension later this offseason (probably post draft). Tee might (unlikely but plausibly) be a draft day trade. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Wyche'sWarrior - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 09:52 AM)jj22 Wrote: That's the thing. People say you can't pay Burrow 50m, Chase 30m, and Tee 25m because that'll leave 160m for the rest of the roster. I agree in theory, but in reality there are plenty of teams that have 3 guys making 25m+.

I'm not saying that means we should pay Tee. I'm saying the argument shouldn't be focused on 3 players making 105m not leaving enough for the rest of the roster. If that was the case it wouldn't matter if it was the QB, WR, DE. I think the argument should remain all the money being in the Wideout room isn't ideal for roster building. 

The argument that 3 players making 105m can't work is somewhat misleading. 

I think the issue is having that much coin tied up on one side of the ball, and two of those players playing the same position. If it was say, EDGE, QB, WR, or QB, LT, lockdown CB, etc, it would be a different story. Like KC: big money in DT, QB, TE.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - packerbacker - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 10:53 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I think the issue is having that much coin tied up on one side of the ball, and two of those players playing the same position. If it was say, EDGE, QB, WR, or QB, LT, lockdown CB, etc, it would be a different story. Like KC: big money in DT, QB, TE.

Hey Wyche! How you been buddy?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - packerbacker - 03-15-2024

How do you guys like the Bengals Free Agency so far?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - WeezyBengal - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 10:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are we sure that's the case?  I mean if I were Burrow, I would certainly want a prospective protector to get to know me well, as we're likely going to be working very closely together and need to be on the same page.

I said it tongue in cheek. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalbug - 03-15-2024

Prediction time… coming into next Monday, what moves could we see the bengals make?

Becton - kind of low hanging fruit.
Tart - also, low hanging fruit.
Stephon Gilmore, Xavier Howard or Tre'Davious White - two year deal on a contender. Any of the three ca be a mentor and solid CB. Each of them still has game.
Hunter Renfrow or Tyler Boyd. Each passing day the value goes down on Boyd.
Calais Campbell - older vet, no nonsense. Can play DE or 3T. Ring chaser.

Becton and Tart are no brainers. Beyond that it depends on whether they plan to extend anyone this offseason.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 10:00 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m leaning your way. They seem to be running scared of what’s coming next year with Chase.

Those teams are willing to renegotiate contracts to save cap. We don't. It is archaic and is a huge competitive disadvantage. Borderline incompetent. Scratch that, it isn't borderline. 

Further, we subscribe to the notion that signing a bunch of average-ish players for "good value" is a better strategy that signing fewer, but higher impact guys. The Steelers got Queen & Wilson.

Now sometimes, you just cannot afford it (Bates). But we did carry over $11 mil in unused cap last year. We COULD have made it work. We just didn't want to. We don't really value S, LB, IOL, or TE. We will never pay a premium at those spots. Too dogmatic. Too ageist. Too cheap. 

There is a reason we never win it all. Mike Brown.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - NativeTheory - 03-15-2024

Aaron Donald Retires…

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalstripes9 - 03-15-2024

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
4m
#Bengals FA WR Trenton Irwin is signing back with Cincy, source said, as he gets a shot at being the third WR. He gets a 1-year deal worth $2M.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Tomkat - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 01:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Those teams are willing to renegotiate contracts to save cap. We don't. It is archaic and is a huge competitive disadvantage. Borderline incompetent. Scratch that, it isn't borderline. 

Further, we subscribe to the notion that signing a bunch of average-ish players for "good value" is a better strategy that signing fewer, but higher impact guys. The Steelers got Queen & Wilson.

Now sometimes, you just cannot afford it (Bates). But we did carry over $11 mil in unused cap last year. We COULD have made it work. We just didn't want to. We don't really value S, LB, IOL, or TE. We will never pay a premium at those spots. Too dogmatic. Too ageist. Too cheap. 

There is a reason we never win it all. Mike Brown.

Mike Brown hasn't called the shots in awhile.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - bfine32 - 03-15-2024

(03-15-2024, 01:14 PM)NativeTheory Wrote: Aaron Donald Retires…

...and take 1000s of Bengal broken hearts with him.