Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Soonerpeace - 03-17-2024

(03-17-2024, 05:32 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: They think Rankins replaces Reader. 

Hopefully with 4 picks in the top 100 for the first time we produce some starters right away.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-17-2024

(03-17-2024, 05:32 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: They think Rankins replaces Reader. 

They cannot possibly see that to be the case.  If that were true, why would they have had Teair Tart in for the visit?  I'm not doubting your intelligence, but the Bengals certainly understand the difference between a 3T and a NT.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nepa - 03-17-2024

(03-17-2024, 06:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They cannot possibly see that to be the case.  If that were true, why would they have had Teair Tart in for the visit?  I'm not doubting your intelligence, but the Bengals certainly understand the difference between a 3T and a NT.

The poster is referring to the linked Sporting News ranking of teams in free agency, where the author made this comment: "They [the Bengals] rebounded well replacing D.J. Reader with Sheldon Rankins,"

(03-17-2024, 06:33 PM)Nepa Wrote: The poster is referring to the linked Sporting News ranking of teams in free agency, where the author made this comment: "They [the Bengals] rebounded well replacing D.J. Reader with Sheldon Rankins,"

Well, let me be the first to say that was bullshit, and cheap garbage writing by the author.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pulses - 03-17-2024

(03-17-2024, 05:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, but all of the good choices seem to be already taken, or out of the price range that the Bengals are willing to pay for that spot.

Such total horseshit.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-17-2024

They don’t, the article is just typical lazy sports journalism.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-17-2024

(03-17-2024, 04:56 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-grades-2024-best-worst-offseason/5ee13013f6adbcb9daa63345

Looks as though sporting news disagrees with our fans giving us an "A-".

What will we get if we sign a RT and DT also, or a CB?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-17-2024

(03-17-2024, 06:12 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Hopefully with 4 picks in the top 100 for the first time we produce some starters right away.

Yeah. I was counting on those 4 picks to fill 4 holes.

FA Holes fixed/patched + 2024 cap

1.  WR2 (Higgins Tag, $21.8 mil),
2.  DT3 Pass rusher (Rankins, $11.9 mil) 
3.  S  upgrade (Stone $6, Bell $1.2, -Scott $2.3)
4.  TE (Gesicki $2.5, Sample $4.9, Hudson ???)
----------------
5. Re-signing depth (ADG $2.5, Irwin $2, Ford $1.35, T. Williams ???) 
6. Tendering ERFAs: Browning & Adomitis

Still need: 
1. Starting RT (Williams gone)
2. Starting quality NT/run stuffer (Reader gone)
3. WR3 (Boyd) 
4. CB4 (Chido) 
----------------- 
5. Two-way TE: 
6. Starting P
------------ 
7. OL depth: IOL&OT
9. LB depth 
10. Backup NT

We do have 10 picks. We also have $20 million in cap space. And the potential to add more. We need to take at least 1 of the top 4 off the board, I'd like at least 2 total. Really, more like 3-4. 

Maybe they think TE is set now with Sample, Gesicki, & Hudson. And that giving the play away via personnel isn't a big deal.

Maybe they think Hill is CB4 & so we don't need another outside corner.

Maybe they think Gesicki is the Boyd replacement + Jones & Yoshi.

Maybe they think Cody Ford is the cat's meow at OT3. 

I think they are dead wrong on all 4 counts. But if that is what they are thinking (on any or all), then we have less needs than we think and we should have been MORE aggressive in bringing in good players (Fuller at 2/$16.5 and Reader were both eminently affordable, Eluemenor at 2/$14).

Anyway, I'd be shocked if the first four are not some combo of OT, DT, WR, and CB. Maybe TE or IOL. Hopefully we can use the $20 mil to take one or two off the board. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nicomo Cosca - 03-17-2024

(03-17-2024, 07:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Looks as though sporting news disagrees with our fans giving us an "A-".

What will we get if we sign a RT and DT also, or a CB?

These rankings are always kinda useless tbh. 20 of the 32 teams have a B- or higher.

Personally I’d give the Bengals a C.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - kalibengal - 03-17-2024

(03-17-2024, 08:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: These rankings are always kinda useless tbh. 20 of the 32 teams have a B- or higher.

Personally I’d give the Bengals a C.

My guess at this is there will be no Tart and we draft one of the top O Tackles at 18 and then McKinnley Jackson in 3rd round as Sweat will be picked by either Balt or Cleve before we pick in Rd 2.
It really sucks going into a draft with such glaring needs that other teams can take advantage of during draft.
Im thinking yrs ago when we needed a center and Lions knowing this get Ragnow leaving us Price  

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nicomo Cosca - 03-17-2024

I’m surprised no one has signed Boyd yet.

(03-17-2024, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m surprised no one has signed Boyd yet.

Yeah, a lot of things surprising so far.  Boyd unsigned, Bengals still without a RT, and more importantly a NT.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Ell Prez - 03-17-2024

We had 70M in cap space and an awful line for all of JB’s career. I can’t believe we didn’t grab any of the top linemen. If C is average meaning we didn’t get better and don’t get worse, I think this FA was a D-. On paper, which is all we can judge off of, the 2024 Bengals are worse than the 2023 Bengals.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - phil413 - 03-17-2024

(03-17-2024, 10:52 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: We had 70M in cap space and an awful line for all of JB’s career. I can’t believe we didn’t grab any of the top linemen. If C is average meaning we didn’t get better and don’t get worse, I think this FA was a D-. On paper, which is all we can judge off of, the 2024 Bengals are worse than the 2023 Bengals.

It stinks, and I hate having to take a need, but OT is lining up as a probable BPA even if there is a mini run.  There are even some solid interior OL.  I know that we are fixated on one of the DTs being there but this is very important...they likely won't.  The class isn't deep so so we need to play this right and not reach. 

So, if I see G or C come up as BPA in the 2nd or 3rd and the NTs are gone I think you have have to do it.  I'd rather double dip on the OL, but you can't do that unless you have a NT.  Thats why Tart negotiations are critical, there aren't any true capable NTs.  You can use a comp pick and move up to ger Sweat, or maybe the 4th to move up from the comp pick to land McKinney.  Then you can still get a OL that may still compete.  Basically I agree that I'm not happy with the jam they're in, but they are going to have the shot to get themselves out of it. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - NATI BENGALS - 03-17-2024

I guess we have reached the major slowdown in free agent signings. Not many more huge contracts getting thrown around. A bunch of players unhappy with the offers they received. And a bunch of teams now turning their focus to the draft and they will revisit veteran free agents after the draft dust settles to see what roster needs they still need to address.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-18-2024

(03-17-2024, 11:59 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I guess we have reached the major slowdown in free agent signings. Not many more huge contracts getting thrown around. A bunch of players unhappy with the offers they received. And a bunch of teams now turning their focus to the draft and they will revisit veteran free agents after the draft dust settles to see what roster needs they still need to address.

I look at as the free agent frenzy that happens the first 5 days eats up a ton of cap space for most teams. It is the players and agents in charge early. 

Now, look at all the cap left to spend and teams have to be more prudent, now the owners have some leverage because these players want a home before the draft, because after the draft their value may decrease further.

I don't think the Bengals or other teams re done. I would not be surprised if we have offers on the table for Becton and Tart. In time, those two are going to get a contract, maybe from us maybe from another team. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Housh - 03-18-2024

(03-17-2024, 06:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They cannot possibly see that to be the case.  If that were true, why would they have had Teair Tart in for the visit?  I'm not doubting your intelligence, but the Bengals certainly understand the difference between a 3T and a NT.

There’s a group of ppl who will forever think the worst of the Bengals FO

In reality the Burrow deal probably signaled the end of guys like Reader, Hubbard, Bates, and Mixon.

It is what it is. Burrow is worth more than them COMBINED.

I actually think we’ve been managing our cap exceptionally with the Burrow contract.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-18-2024

So now that the weekends over Bengals FO might get back to work?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - TecmoBengals - 03-18-2024

Since Becton (OL) and Tart (DL) haven't signed does it perhaps suggest contracts couldn't be agreed upon or maybe one side in the party lost interest?

As of today, it seems certain pick 18 now needs to be a RT who can immediately start.

I'm not feeling good about Tee being a significant factor this season based on believing a tagged player who requested a trade isn't going to be in the best of mindset to win.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-18-2024

Here is a list of who is still out there

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agency-best-available-free-agents