Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nepa - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 10:32 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd be down for them signing Brown as long as it doesn't break the bank. I'm not worried about the internet rumblings I've read describing him as having a bad attitude. I think players snap out of that when winning occurs and if they are satisfied with their contract.

Trent Brown is talented, for sure, but seems like a bit of a head case:

"the 30-year-old Brown addressed leaked reports containing “lies about my character,” claimed Patriots coaches would plot how to mess with him — and accused someone in Patriots’ building of “running a smear campaign” against him."

“Because I’ve even heard from coaches how they’ll sit in staff meetings and they’ll be talking about how they can f–k with me,” Brown said."   “This has been a year like no other that I’ve had in my NFL career as far as the amount of anonymous sources that have come forward to spew complete lies about my character.

“It’s been tough to even go in the building every day knowing that there’s somebody that I probably look at every day, or smiles in my face every day, that is running a smear campaign.”

https://nypost.com/2024/01/09/sports/trent-brown-patriots-coaches-came-up-with-ways-to-f-k-with-me-during-nightmare-season/

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - TecmoBengals - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 11:53 AM)Nepa Wrote: Trent Brown is talented, for sure, but seems like a bit of a head case:

"the 30-year-old Brown addressed leaked reports containing “lies about my character,” claimed Patriots coaches would plot how to mess with him — and accused someone in Patriots’ building of “running a smear campaign” against him."

“Because I’ve even heard from coaches how they’ll sit in staff meetings and they’ll be talking about how they can f–k with me,” Brown said."   “This has been a year like no other that I’ve had in my NFL career as far as the amount of anonymous sources that have come forward to spew complete lies about my character.

“It’s been tough to even go in the building every day knowing that there’s somebody that I probably look at every day, or smiles in my face every day, that is running a smear campaign.”

https://nypost.com/2024/01/09/sports/trent-brown-patriots-coaches-came-up-with-ways-to-f-k-with-me-during-nightmare-season/

Well, I suppose a counter is that Zac leads with a positive culture and is appreciated by players. Maybe Zac can overcome any perceived flaws associated with Brown?

Either way, I hope the Bengals add a depth piece because there is no guarantee an OL can be had at pick 18 (although it appears the Bengals might luck out based on how the draft plays out and the OL talent available).

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 11:08 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: Since the Zac Taylor era, I think the bengals front office has done amazing. About as good as anyone in the league, except maybe a couple franchises.

This off season has been a nightmare. There aren’t any good D lineman or OL left in FA that will make this team better than the 2023 version. We had a ton of cap space, ridiculous amount. If I told you before FA, that with 70M in cap space we wouldn’t be able to sign Jonnah Williams, Reader, Tee wouldn’t be given a long term deal, we cut Mixon to cap space, and didn’t resign Chido…what would you say we spent that $70M on?

We resigned back ups: Cody ford, Irwin, Gaither, Sample.
New 1 year deal to a 3M te. 2 year deal to a DT, 2 year deal to a 7M S.

That’s the off-season in a nutshell. You don’t think the $70M could have been spent better? I mean, at least lock up Tee. FFS, this 2024 team is worse than the 2023 team.

They did lock up Tee for 2024, thus we only had 48 million in cap space. We control Tee, we can still attempt to sign him long term, make hm play of the franchise tag in 2024 and tag him again in 2025 or we can trade him.

Bengals are not first team to tag a player. Chiefs tagged Chris Jone in 2023, then signed him long term in 2024 after he had a great year. 

If we trade Tee, we still have to replace him. I think we learned in 2023 at safety, not a great idea to have 2 starters (Boyd and Higgins) leave in same year. 

(03-18-2024, 12:13 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Well, I suppose a counter is that Zac leads with a positive culture and is appreciated by players. Maybe Zac can overcome any perceived flaws associated with Brown?

Either way, I hope the Bengals add a depth piece because there is no guarantee an OL can be had at pick 18 (although it appears the Bengals might luck out based on how the draft plays out and the OL talent available).

It's a mystery to me why the Bengals have not been linked to Trent Brown, given he is so talented. He gave up 3 sacks last year, and 2 penalties, in 579 snaps (80.2 PFF grade), whereas Mekhi Becton, whom the Bengals have been linked to, gave up 12 sacks and 18 penalties in 985 snaps (53.2 PFF grade). All that I can think of is either the Bengals can't reach his contract demands or the concern about his paranoid-like complaints about the Patriots organization. Of course, it is not paranoia if they were actually out to get him.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Tomcat - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 12:48 PM)Nepa Wrote: It's a mystery to me why the Bengals have not been linked to Trent Brown, given he is so talented. He gave up 3 sacks last year, and 2 penalties, in 579 snaps (80.2 PFF grade), whereas Mekhi Becton, whom the Bengals have been linked to, gave up 12 sacks and 18 penalties in 985 snaps (53.2 PFF grade). All that I can think of is either the Bengals can't reach his contract demands or the concern about his paranoid-like complaints about the Patriots organization. Of course, it is not paranoia if they were actually out to get him.

Maybe the Bengals FO did reach out to Brown to play RT and he said No Thanks i want to play LT. Doubtful, but possible.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - PDub80 - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 12:48 PM)Nepa Wrote: It's a mystery to me why the Bengals have not been linked to Trent Brown, given he is so talented. He gave up 3 sacks last year, and 2 penalties, in 579 snaps (80.2 PFF grade), whereas Mekhi Becton, whom the Bengals have been linked to, gave up 12 sacks and 18 penalties in 985 snaps (53.2 PFF grade). All that I can think of is either the Bengals can't reach his contract demands or the concern about his paranoid-like complaints about the Patriots organization. Of course, it is not paranoia if they were actually out to get him.

(03-18-2024, 12:52 PM)Tomcat Wrote: Maybe the Bengals FO did reach out to Brown to play RT and he said No Thanks i want to play LT. Doubtful, but possible.

The talk out there is that Trent Brown was a bad locker room guy in NE & notably disruptive. I'm surprised he isn't signed yet, but not surprised he hasn't signed with the Bengals. Maybe they eventually vet that out or whatever, but that could be something that's prohibitive.

And, to your points, maybe Brown said no to RT.... But, maaaaaaaan, that FA money is drying up. I couldn't imagine refusing starting RT pay - even on the low end - for backup LT or G pay.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - JoeyB2023 - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 11:53 AM)Nepa Wrote: Trent Brown is talented, for sure, but seems like a bit of a head case:

IMHO this paints a clear picture as to why the bengals AtleAst at this point haven’t been reported talking or scheduling anything with brown. The culture here does not want that on the team.

(03-18-2024, 12:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: They did lock up Tee for 2024, thus we only had 48 million in cap space. We control Tee, we can still attempt to sign him long term, make hm play of the franchise tag in 2024 and tag him again in 2025 or we can trade him.

Bengals are not first team to tag a player. Chiefs tagged Chris Jone in 2023, then signed him long term in 2024 after he had a great year. 

If we trade Tee, we still have to replace him. I think we learned in 2023 at safety, not a great idea to have 2 starters (Boyd and Higgins) leave in same year. 

Chiefs just won the super bowl again please don’t mention them. Dude u quoted is right. Everyone trying to polish this turd of an off-season and it’s even worse when u couple with last seasons Bs. This team is getting worse and worse each off-season. Just stop already tee don’t even wanna be here. U talk about how we control him yea we do but he don’t wanna be here. It’s like having sex with a women who would rather slam ur neighbor. They aren’t gonna give u all they got. Half the time they will claim their hurt when it’s game time. Bengals have blown it and now we essentially left for the draft where they are meh at best.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 02:23 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Chiefs just won the super bowl again please don’t mention them.  Dude u quoted is right.  Everyone trying to polish this turd of an off-season and it’s even worse when u couple with last seasons Bs.  This team is getting worse and worse each off-season.  Just stop already tee don’t even wanna be here.  U talk about how we control him yea we do but he don’t wanna be here.  It’s like having sex with a women who would rather slam ur neighbor.  They aren’t gonna give u all they got.  Half the time they will claim their hurt when it’s game time.  Bengals have blown it and now we essentially left for the draft where they are meh at best.

Tee tanks this season, his long term values goes into the tank. Who would want a guy paid almost 22 million dollars giving less than 100%.

Do you think Chris Jones wanted to be in KC last year after they tagged him? Yet, KC won the Super Bowl tagging him and he played hard. Get out of here with your BS on tagged players, they all want long term deals, but stupid to not play and play hard on the tag.

Chiefs 2023 Training Camp: DT Chris Jones officially missed all 28 days - Arrowhead Pride

Chris Jones has officially missed all of the Chiefs’ training camp

Still no word on when Kansas City’s All Pro defender will report to the team.

By Rocky Magaña@RockyMagana  Aug 17, 2023, 12:09pm CDT  

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - jj22 - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 02:19 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: IMHO this paints a clear picture as to why the bengals AtleAst at this point haven’t been reported talking or scheduling anything with brown.  The culture here does not want that on the team.

They met with Tart tho.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - 007BengalsFan - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 02:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Tee tanks this season, his long term values goes into the tank. Who would want a guy paid almost 22 million dollars giving less than 100%.

Do you think Chris Jones wanted to be in KC last year after they tagged him? Yet, KC won the Super Bowl tagging him and he played hard. Get out of here with your BS on tagged players, they all want long term deals, but stupid to not play and play hard on the tag.

Chiefs 2023 Training Camp: DT Chris Jones officially missed all 28 days - Arrowhead Pride

Chris Jones only came back after the Chief's signed him to a one year contract with a pay raise.  Jones did NOT play on the franchise tag last year.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - 007BengalsFan - 03-18-2024

Trent Brown will be 31 years old next month. He has had injury issues and rarely plays a full season. In 2023 he played in 11 games. In 2021 he played in 9 games. In 2020 he played in 5 games. In 2019 he played in 11 games. Only once in the last 5 years has he played a full season. You add to this fact he is a locker room cancer and probably wants big money on top of all these issues, its no wonder you dont hear his name brought in regards to the Bengals.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Southpaw Frerotte - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 02:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Tee tanks this season, his long term values goes into the tank. Who would want a guy paid almost 22 million dollars giving less than 100%.

Just for the record, the Chiefs never tagged Chris Jones last season.  He was already playing under a contract but held out since he was on the last year of his deal and wanted an extension.  They signed him to a one year deal last season and then resigned him to a long term extension this year.  

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalbug - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 03:07 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Trent Brown will be 31 years old next month. He has had injury issues and rarely plays a full season. In 2023 he played in 11 games. In 2021 he played in 9 games. In 2020 he played in 5 games. In 2019 he played in 11 games. Only once in the last 5 years has he played a full season. You add to this fact he is a locker room cancer and probably wants big money on top of all these issues, its no wonder you dont hear his name brought in regards to the Bengals.

Just do what the jets did with Tyron smith. Lower GTD salary with playing time incentives. Hard to determine if he is a cancer or not

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-18-2024

Should find a guy that wants to be a RT

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 03:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Should find a guy that wants to be a RT

The problem is that the market is pretty barren right now, unless you know of a team willing to part with a RT, and is also in need of a pretty good WR?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalbug - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 03:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Should find a guy that wants to be a RT

I think the league as a whole is making it pretty clear when it comes to how they value certain players.

Just because you want to be something doesn’t make it so.

Hahaha jones was never tagged smarty pants. And Yes I do think Chris jones wanted to play in KC tag or no tag. Dude wanted an extension. Which means to play more for KC not less lol. he also probably new they’d bring him back the following year. KC and Cincinnati are 2 differently ran organizations. And they minipulate the cap better than anyone I’m sure they had something worked out with Chris jones after tagging him for the following year. He also stayed with a contender which when u get up their in years u start appreciate different things other than candy paint. U wanna chase a legacy and rings. Ur assumption Chris jones didn’t wanna be in KC makes about as much sense as well saying Chris Jones was Tagged.

Also Jesse bates admitted to playing poorly because of the lack of deal and him being a tag candidate.

What about Yosh Nijman for RT? NFL.com had him ranked as their 65th best free agent at the start of free agency. He is still available:

"Nijman performed well when given the chance in Green Bay, but he lost out on playing time in 2023. He can play left or right tackle and has good experience for his age."

Had a higher PFF than Jonah Williams (61.7 to 58.5). Not great, but it'd be nice not to depend on Cody Ford.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2024-who-are-the-best-players-available

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-18-2024

This has been a weird Free Agency across the league, and a good part of that has to do with the cap surprising everyone by skyrocketing. It resulted in pretty much the entire A Tier of Free Agents getting resigned by their old teams who were cap strapped then suddenly had room. It happens. There really haven't been any Tier A Offensive Tackles in this class or Tier A NTs either (Reader's injury took him out of Tier A). We've done well and I do think a RT and NT are still coming here plus we're all but certain to draft OT and DT.