Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 03:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: What about Yosh Nijman for RT? NFL.com had him ranked as their 65th best free agent at the start of free agency. He is still available:

"Nijman performed well when given the chance in Green Bay, but he lost out on playing time in 2023. He can play left or right tackle and has good experience for his age."

Had a higher PFF than Jonah Williams (61.7 to 58.5). Not great, but it'd be nice not to depend on Cody Ford.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2024-who-are-the-best-players-available

Not a bad thought on Nijman. Thought he played well when I watched the Packers.

(03-18-2024, 03:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: This has been a weird Free Agency across the league, and a good part of that has to do with the cap surprising everyone by skyrocketing. It resulted in pretty much the entire A Tier of Free Agents getting resigned by their old teams who were cap strapped then suddenly had room. It happens. There really haven't been any Tier A Offensive Tackles in this class or Tier A NTs either (Reader's injury took him out of Tier A). We've done well and I do think a RT and NT are still coming here plus we're all but certain to draft OT and DT.

Yes, we will fill the holes at RT and NT, we just don't know with who right now.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Yogo - 03-18-2024

Would love to have Trent Brown to pair with Orlando. Would love to "Brown you out". Would love to shake and wave a poop on a stick at the Paycor.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 03:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem is that the market is pretty barren right now, unless you know of a team willing to part with a RT, and is also in need of a pretty good WR?

probly wont find that team till after the draft

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 03:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: probly wont find that team till after the draft

Or perhaps during the draft.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - 007BengalsFan - 03-18-2024

At this point Tart is probably the only FA the Bengals should sign. Wait until the draft then after cuts are made to improve the team. Just signing bodies right now doesnt help the team and I dont think it is needed. There will be better quality talent in the draft and after when cuts are made we can add.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 04:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Or perhaps during the draft.

Yes, that would be nice. Teams get a little desperate at times during the draft if the guy they like is taken in front of them.

Could happen with one of the early WR's in the late 1st, early 2nd and a team might make a trade for Tee. We will see.

(03-18-2024, 04:16 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: At this point Tart is probably the only FA the Bengals should sign.  Wait until the draft then after cuts are made to improve the team.  Just signing bodies right now doesnt help the team and I dont think it is needed.  There will be better quality talent in the draft and after when cuts are made we can add.

Agree, I mean I would like Trent Brown but him quitting on his team gives me pause.

When cuts are made there might be lots better options than what is out there right now.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - WeezyBengal - 03-18-2024

Here are some updates I saw: 

Listening to the Growler from Paul Dehner, he has updates on our favorite FA hopeful signings

1. Tart is not going to happen. Not a personality fit. Dehner says that they feel like they have other options available so perhaps going for some older FAs remaining, but no hints as to who they are.
  2. Becton is a hard "maybe". However, he did give a hint by saying something to the effect of "they are in on some other big free agent options, emphasis on the word big" Which I believe is hinting at Trent Brown who is 6'8 360. I am of the opinion that both should be an option, as both are injury concerns and our oline depth is not good!
Wanted to post these updates because this is the first time ive heard someone plugged in speak about this directly.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - bengals67 - 03-18-2024

Any chance we could sign chase young?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - michaelsean - 03-18-2024

(03-17-2024, 04:56 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-grades-2024-best-worst-offseason/5ee13013f6adbcb9daa63345

Death knell for the Texans.

(03-18-2024, 04:59 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Here are some updates I saw: 

Listening to the Growler from Paul Dehner, he has updates on our favorite FA hopeful signings

1. Tart is not going to happen. Not a personality fit. Dehner says that they feel like they have other options available so perhaps going for some older FAs remaining, but no hints as to who they are.
  2. Becton is a hard "maybe". However, he did give a hint by saying something to the effect of "they are in on some other big free agent options, emphasis on the word big" Which I believe is hinting at Trent Brown who is 6'8 360. I am of the opinion that both should be an option, as both are injury concerns and our oline depth is not good!
Wanted to post these updates because this is the first time ive heard someone plugged in speak about this directly.

Nice work on finding the status updates.  Also, Yosh Nijman is big as well, he was 6'7" 324 in his combine profile. Played over 1,500 snaps in 22 starts over 4 years in Green Bay.  Not flashy but would definitely provide a stop-gap option for that empty Tackle spot.

Thanks Weezy, guess Tart really does have attitude problems. But being open to Trent Brown is kind of weird if they don't like 
Tart's personality. But as far as the player, I would definitely prefer Trent Brown over Becton no question.

(03-18-2024, 05:09 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Any chance we could sign chase young?

Would love it if they did. I was never a Chase Young over Burrow guy like some on here but would love him now.

He played well I thought from watching him last year. He would bring us that other pass rush across from Trey we need.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-18-2024

We'll see what they do. Dehner is not as "in" as he used to be (as evidenced by his getting some wrong nowadays) but if they don't think Tart is a locker room fit I can see them looking elsewhere. 

(03-18-2024, 05:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: We'll see what they do. Dehner is not as "in" as he used to be (as evidenced by his getting some wrong nowadays) but if they don't think Tart is a locker room fit I can see them looking elsewhere. 

Poona Ford would be a nice pickup IMO.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pulses - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 05:09 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Any chance we could sign chase young?

Just signed a 1 year deal fully guaranteed with the saints for 13 million via Adam Schefter

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 03:07 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: Just for the record, the Chiefs never tagged Chris Jones last season.  He was already playing under a contract but held out since he was on the last year of his deal and wanted an extension.  They signed him to a one year deal last season and then resigned him to a long term extension this year.  

He has been tagged TWICE before, though. Just not last year.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-18-2024

(03-17-2024, 08:58 PM)kalibengal Wrote: My guess at this is there will be no Tart and we draft one of the top O Tackles at 18 and then McKinnley Jackson in 3rd round as Sweat will be picked by either Balt or Cleve before we pick in Rd 2.
It really sucks going into a draft with such glaring needs that other teams can take advantage of during draft.
Im thinking yrs ago when we needed a center and Lions knowing this get Ragnow leaving us Price  

I would not count on Jackson being there at #80. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Soonerpeace - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 05:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Death knell for the Texans.

How so?

(03-18-2024, 06:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: How so?

Each year when a team does a massive rebuild via free agency, they typically turn out to be more of a collection of talent rather than a strong team.  Jacksonville came close that year they did the overhaul, but I can remember Cleveland flopping hard the year they tried it. There are plenty of other examples, those are the first two that came to mind.

(03-18-2024, 05:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: We'll see what they do. Dehner is not as "in" as he used to be (as evidenced by his getting some wrong nowadays) but if they don't think Tart is a locker room fit I can see them looking elsewhere. 

Dehner is plugged in to Hoard & Lapham whatever that’s worth.

(03-18-2024, 06:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Each year when a team does a massive rebuild via free agency, they typically turn out to be more of a collection of talent rather than a strong team.  Jacksonville came close that year they did the overhaul, but I can remember Cleveland flopping hard the year they tried it. There are plenty of other examples, those are the first two that came to mind.

We hit it pretty hard after Zac’s first season. But I don’t disagree.