Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-18-2024

(03-18-2024, 06:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: We'll see what happens. Ideally they sign a NT and RT before the draft and ideally they go in prepared to trade up to ensure they get the right picks especially in Rd 2.

There isn't a starting quality NT out there. And I seriously doubt Sweat is around at #49. Not impossible. Just seems silly to rely on that. Likely have to trade up.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - 007BengalsFan - 03-19-2024

(03-18-2024, 09:27 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Calais Campbell at dt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He would be good in rotation on the DL.  He may be old but he is still playing at a high level.  If we could get him for 6-7 million and he is OK not starting, bring him in.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-19-2024

If we add Trent Brown at RT in FA, would that appease the naysayers on our FA in 2024? I understand there are some issues coming out of New England, but the one thing I see is according to PFF, he was not good, but great in 2023.

Also, hopefully we have some cap left to invest in a run stopping DT vet and maybe a CB.

If so, we go in the draft with no holes and we even have 2 QB's who can play in case of injury.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 12:31 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If we add Trent Brown at RT in FA, would that appease the naysayers on our FA in 2024? I understand there are some issues coming out of New England, but the one thing I see is according to PFF, he was not good, but great in 2023.

Also, hopefully we have some cap left to invest in a run stopping DT vet and maybe a CB.

If so, we go in the draft with no holes and we even have 2 QB's who can play in case of injury.

Failing on Reader was epic IMHO. There are not any run stuffing DTs out there to sign, and precious few in the draft (Sweat, Jackson). No one even close to DJs level. 

We almost have to use a top 100 pick on both OT & NT now. IDK if I risk Jackson being gone by 80. I'd like to take WR in Rd 2 (Pearsall). OT Rd1 (Fuaga, Latham, Mims). Assuming Sweat is gone Rd2, Jackson Rd3 + a CB (Melton, Hart, Jackson). 

If we sign a WR/CB on a smart deal, we maybe go TE/IOL with the other top 100 pick (Sinnott, Stover, Johnson; Mahogany, Zinter, Haynes, Puni). Or can go BPA if someone falls. 

We usually tend to emphasize weak draft positions in FA. S & TE fit that pattern. As does the Rankins DT signing. Letting Reader walk breaks it.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - phil413 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 01:44 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Failing on Reader was epic IMHO. There are not any run stuffing DTs out there to sign, and precious few in the draft (Sweat, Jackson). No one even close to DJs level. 

We almost have to use a top 100 pick on both OT & NT now. IDK if I risk Jackson being gone by 80. I'd like to take WR in Rd 2 (Pearsall). OT Rd1 (Fuaga, Latham, Mims). Assuming Sweat is gone Rd2, Jackson Rd3 + a CB (Melton, Hart, Jackson). 

If we sign a WR/CB on a smart deal, we maybe go TE/IOL with the other top 100 pick (Sinnott, Stover, Johnson; Mahogany, Zinter, Haynes, Puni). Or can go BPA if someone falls. 

We usually tend to emphasize weak draft positions in FA. S & TE fit that pattern. As does the Rankins DT signing. Letting Reader walk breaks it.

Yeah I would say they should have been proactive, but we are here now.  Good breakdown, they are going to have to use a 3rd to help add a NT.  Either their 3rd and 2nd up to snag Sweat in the late 1st or the comp pick or 4th to move up from 3 jor Jackson...or a pick for a vet.  

I like corner as the rental spot for a vet like Adoree Jackson, has some tread and gives you a vet coverage type as insurance.  I'd love if we could land 2 OL in the top 100.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-19-2024

(03-18-2024, 11:22 PM)pulses Wrote: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-dts-nfl-draft-2024/

Those lists are all a bit subjective upon what desired traits that the creator of the list favors. Judging from their 'rankings' they are lumping all DTs together and not distinguishing between NTs and 3Ts, etc. Seems like their list puts pass rushing as the strongest grading criteria. Some teams that are needing a wide-bodied NT are going to have Jackson with his high-motor 323# body much higher on their boards. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 08:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Those lists are all a bit subjective upon what desired traits that the creator of the list favors. Judging from their 'rankings' they are lumping all DTs together and not distinguishing between NTs and 3Ts, etc. Seems like their list puts pass rushing as the strongest grading criteria. Some teams that are needing a wide-bodied NT are going to have Jackson with his high-motor 323# body much higher on their boards. 

Walter football breaks down 

DTs  https://walterfootball.com/draft2024DT.php
NTs  https://walterfootball.com/draft2024NT.php

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalbug - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 01:44 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Failing on Reader was epic IMHO. There are not any run stuffing DTs out there to sign, and precious few in the draft (Sweat, Jackson). No one even close to DJs level. 

I’d hold off on judgement with reader being an EPIC fail. He is coming off an injury and we still have 6 months until the season starts.

Even with a healthy reader last year, how well did we stop the run? Something had to change.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - BengalFanInCanada - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 01:44 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Failing on Reader was epic IMHO. There are not any run stuffing DTs out there to sign, and precious few in the draft (Sweat, Jackson). No one even close to DJs level. 

Reader is a huge injury risk  who is, firstly, not  guaranteed to play this year, and secondly, not guaranteed to play at his previous level.

The Bengals, who are best able to judge his medicals, obviously passed on bringing him back even with a relatively small guaranteed money.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-19-2024

Reader's cap hit is $5.8 mil. $12.2 next.

Less than $1 mil more than Drew Sample.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/cap/

Colossal blunder.

(03-19-2024, 09:38 AM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: Reader is a huge injury risk  who is, firstly, not  guaranteed to play this year, and secondly, not guaranteed to play at his previous level.

The Bengals, who are best able to judge his medicals, obviously passed on bringing him back even with a relatively small guaranteed money.

He has already recovered once. This time was less severe. We were interested in retaining him. We had the cap space. 

For $5.8 in space, who would you rather sign right now? 

(03-19-2024, 08:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Those lists are all a bit subjective upon what desired traits that the creator of the list favors. Judging from their 'rankings' they are lumping all DTs together and not distinguishing between NTs and 3Ts, etc. Seems like their list puts pass rushing as the strongest grading criteria. Some teams that are needing a wide-bodied NT are going to have Jackson with his high-motor 323# body much higher on their boards. 

Exactly. If we want him, I think #49 is needed. Which means no Pearsall/ R. Wilson (who I really like). 

Though if Fuaga & Latham are gone, Bowers too, a trade down + taking Mims/Guyton in the 20s would be a fantastic result. Try to use that extra Day2 pick on Sweat/Jackson.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - BengalFanInCanada - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 11:36 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: He has already recovered once. This time was less severe. We were interested in retaining him. We had the cap space. 

For $5.8 in space, who would you rather sign right now? 

You saw his medicals then?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - jj22 - 03-19-2024

Sebastian Joseph-Day agrees to one-year deal with Titans

(03-19-2024, 12:27 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: You saw his medicals then?

The idea that his medicals DQ'd him is absurd. 

We made an offer. The Lions saw them. And the man himself said this time was less severe. We are 4 months out. 

Is there a risk? Sure. But $5.8 is chump change. We could have opened up over $4 mil by doing a simple restructure on Brown. Making the 2024 risk on Reader a paltry $1.6 mil. Crap  we could net that by cutting Carman. Not to mention, we are sitting on $20 mil in space as it is. 

The combination of NOT doing both things is borderline incompetent. 

The Reader risk for $5.8 is an easy call. For under $2 mil? Absurdly easy. 

This is why the Chiefs win and we don't. 

So in your mind, the season is lost due to not signing one player, Reader. Please confirm my take on your post is correct. 

We can circle back and see if you were correct, you seem to voice strong opinions in here, let's see if you take is correct or not.

(03-19-2024, 12:39 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The idea that his medicals DQ'd him is absurd. 

We made an offer. The Lions saw them. And the man himself said this time was less severe. We are 4 months out. 

Is there a risk? Sure. But $5.8 is chump change. We could have opened up over $4 mil by doing a simple restructure on Brown. Making the 2024 risk on Reader a paltry $1.6 mil. Crap  we could net that by cutting Carman. Not to mention, we are sitting on $20 mil in space as it is. 

Chiefs win because Mahomes stays healthy, and they had a great draft after trading Hill to the Dolphins.

Can they win it all without Mahomes? I say no way. Just like we can't win it all without Burrow. Unfortunately, Joe has been hurt 2 seasons, so we know our outcome, I am just speculating on how chiefs do without best QB in football.

(03-19-2024, 12:39 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The idea that his medicals DQ'd him is absurd. 

[quote pid='1466857' dateline='1710862794']
You have no idea what his medicals said, or how comfortable the Bengals were with them.  Presumably not very comfortable or they could have signed him.. they passed.

[/quote]

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-19-2024

We signed Trent Brown to a 1 year deal. Wink

(03-19-2024, 02:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We signed Trent Brown to a 1 year deal. Wink

That is good news. 

Opens up #18 a touch. Curious as to the terms. Closer to $10 mil or $5 mil, do we think? 

I keep thinking $10, but everyone else says way less. Maybe I am off the reservation on this one.