Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Memphis_Bengal - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 02:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We signed Trent Brown to a 1 year deal. Wink

We beg for an OT and we get a great one and no one responds in over an hour. 

(03-19-2024, 03:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: That is good news. 

Opens up #18 a touch. Curious as to the terms. Closer to $10 mil or $5 mil, do we think? 

I keep thinking $10, but everyone else says way less. Maybe I am off the reservation on this one. 

Nooooo. This thinking has landed us in this OL FA hell hole we are perpetually in. We still NEED an OT at 18

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 03:59 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: We beg for an OT and we get a great one and no one responds in over an hour. 

Great may be an overstatement... If he cant stay on the field

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 03:59 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: We beg for an OT and we get a great one and no one responds in over an hour. 

Seperate thread for Brown. 

I am fully on the "take an OT at #18" train, but from the sound of that presser, it seems less likely.

(03-19-2024, 04:20 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Seperate thread for Brown. 

I am fully on the "take an OT at #18" train, but from the sound of that presser, it seems less likely.

That's got to be draft talk subterfuge. How can a one year deal with a Vet preclude us from going OT? We will end up right back in the same spot next year scrambling for his replacement. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalstripes9 - 03-19-2024

Any good or on-the-rise corners you think the Bengals may be looking at on the cheap (similar to the Awuzie deal a couple years ago)?

I think they need to add a solid corner to compete for the 2nd outside corner spot. It'd be nice to draft a good one too at any point in the draft.

For NT, I'm thinking they may just resort to looking to the draft to fill this spot. We need youth along the Dline, it's probably the right move to go with a youth movement.
2nd round seems like the best spot for one.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 04:32 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: That's got to be draft talk subterfuge. How can a one year deal with a Vet preclude us from going OT? We will end up right back in the same spot next year scrambling for his replacement. 

I hope you are right. 

If I had a FA/Draft Checklist, it woukd have been: 

Tier 1: 4 of 6
1) Bring Higgins back: done! Tagged. 
2) Bring Reader back: huge whiff
3) Get a starting level OT: check (T. Brown)
4) Improve Interior pass rush: check (Rankins)
5) Upgrade S: check (Stone & Bell)
6) Sign an elite player: nope 

Tier 2: 2.5 of 7
7) Sign a WR3/Boyd Replacement: no 
8) Sign a CB4/Chido replacement: no 
9) Get a TE1/two way TE: no 
10) Get a starting P/Townsend: no
11) Bring back Hudson, D. Sample, ADG: check (pricier than I hoped, though). 
12) Bring back other MIN vet types: Irwin, Ford, T. Williams, Scharping, Tupou, etc. mostly Y
13) Restructure some contracts to free up space: no (but Mixon/Scott did some)

The Gesicki & Moss moves were plusses. Though neither gets me off TE1 or RB1 in the draft. 

There was no way we were gonna check all the boxes pre-draft. 

We'd be tracking towards an A+ if Reader was back & we inked Townsend + restructured Brown.

There may be some cap left for more than a minor move.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - NotBigzo - 03-19-2024

Becuase it's a meh signing and the concern now is that the Bengals use it as a reason to not pick a OT round one. 

The only person I take over an OT is Murphy. Anyone else and it's shithead stoopid for them to not get an OT. 

No more hopefuls in rounds 2/3. No more of that shit. Get the anchor for RT for the next 5 years now. Not after the draft, not Christmas time, draft day one; get a ***** tackle. A good 1st round one. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-19-2024

Trent is damn good when he is healthy. He just isn't healthy most of the time. We will still need to add an OT in the Draft but not 
necessarily at 18 depending on who is there. We don't want to have another Billy Price 1st round pick. I am afraid Mims or Guyton
could be these types, I want Fuaga or Latham, but if neither are there I take BPA.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - casear2727 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 04:20 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Seperate thread for Brown. 

I dont understand why you keep saying this?  

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-19-2024

Run stopping DT Hankins signing with Seattle.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pulses - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 07:00 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont understand why you keep saying this?  

Because he thinks he knows it all and what they're gonna do....just watch his posts.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - bengals67 - 03-19-2024

I’m glad they did something that might be a home run

Better blocking for 9 with the two browns and moss

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 08:48 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I’m glad they did something that might be a home run

Better blocking for 9 with the two browns and moss

I will be happy with a double or a triple to replace Williams who was a single.

The key is making sure his weight is kept in check and make sure he is fit to avoid injury. 

Injuries happen in the NFL to OL and DL but let' hope we luck out and our OL stays healthy with a healthy Joe Burrow in 2024. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - bengalsboy - 03-20-2024

(03-19-2024, 04:32 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: That's got to be draft talk subterfuge. How can a one year deal with a Vet preclude us from going OT? We will end up right back in the same spot next year scrambling for his replacement. 

If they don't take one at 18,it doesn't mean they wont take one at all.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - puddycat - 03-20-2024

and we're done..
I don't see the Bengals doubling up in FA at any position. They've done so on the OL out of desperation in the past, but they hate doing so. This doesn't completely preclude it due to injury or need as cuts happen heading into the season.
I'm hoping the help in the secondary allows the LBs to spend more attention to the run. Otherwise, I expect a lot of 3rd and short and our improved pass rush won't matter. I also expect Murphy to spend more early downs playing as I already think he's better than Hendrickson against the run. We still need another CB and DT in the rotation.
On offense, I hope the OL is better, but I'm not seeing it. Boyd was also a 3rd down machine and the TEs and whoever the 3rd receiver is will need to pick up the slack. I have to admit that I'm not expecting more from the running game given our OL, but I'm willing to be surprised.
The Bengals clearly continue to focus on the Chiefs, Bills, and Dolphins instead of competing in our own division. Because of this, right now I don't see us winning our division.
On to the draft...

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalbug - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 02:20 AM)puddycat Wrote: and we're done..
I don't see the Bengals doubling up in FA at any position. They've done so on the OL out of desperation in the past, but they hate doing so. This doesn't completely preclude it due to injury or need as cuts happen heading into the season.
I'm hoping the help in the secondary allows the LBs to spend more attention to the run. Otherwise, I expect a lot of 3rd and short and our improved pass rush won't matter. I also expect Murphy to spend more early downs playing as I already think he's better than Hendrickson against the run. We still need another CB and DT in the rotation.
On offense, I hope the OL is better, but I'm not seeing it. Boyd was also a 3rd down machine and the TEs and whoever the 3rd receiver is will need to pick up the slack. I have to admit that I'm not expecting more from the running game given our OL, but I'm willing to be surprised.
The Bengals clearly continue to focus on the Chiefs, Bills, and Dolphins instead of competing in our own division. Because of this, right now I don't see us winning our division.
On to the draft...

Meh. Since 2021 Bengals have won more playoff games than the rest of the afc north combined. Competing and winning your division is the first goal of every season . That said, it seems like we match up better against elite teams outside of our division.

With a healthy 9, we compete just fine anywhere anytime.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Soonerpeace - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 01:47 AM)bengalsboy Wrote: If they don't take one at 18,it doesn't mean they wont take one at all.

I would not be surprised if they took Brian Thomas WR LSU at 18.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - sandwedge - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 02:20 AM)puddycat Wrote: and we're done..
I don't see the Bengals doubling up in FA at any position.  They've done so on the OL out of desperation in the past, but they hate doing so.  This doesn't completely preclude it due to injury or need as cuts happen heading into the season.
I'm hoping the help in the secondary allows the LBs to spend more attention to the run.  Otherwise, I expect a lot of 3rd and short and our improved pass rush won't matter.  I also expect Murphy to spend more early downs playing as I already think he's better than Hendrickson against the run.  We still need another CB and DT in the rotation.
On offense, I hope the OL is better, but I'm not seeing it.  Boyd was also a 3rd down machine and the TEs and whoever the 3rd receiver is will need to pick up the slack. I have to admit that I'm not expecting more from the running game given our OL, but I'm willing to be surprised.
The Bengals clearly continue to focus on the Chiefs, Bills, and Dolphins instead of competing in our own division.  Because of this, right now I don't see us winning our division.
On to the draft...
What exactly were you expecting in FA?  I think we did very good.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 10:37 AM)sandwedge Wrote: What exactly were you expecting in FA?  I think we did very good.

We did do good. 

Sometimes I think some of our people did not watch the games. The defense was not blown off the line last season; the issue was explosive plays and the cause was mental mistakes emanating from the secondary being out of position all the time and taking bad angles. Stone and Bell directly speak to that issue which got so bad it affected Wilson and Pratt who could not trust from one play to the next that the secondary would be correctly aligned. 

This Free Agency they were obviously targeting areas in the teams game that were deficient last season. Also remember they are envisioning changing the offense to something a bit less OL unfriendly - they started this last season. Moss and Gesicki support this and Brown also fits well into it.