Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - jj22 - 03-20-2024

It'll be interesting to know what Brown signed for so we can all spend the rest of the Browns money / cap.

I'd still like to see them sign a vet CB. But maybe that is something that can wait until after the draft or final cuts.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Clark W Griswold - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 09:22 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I would not be surprised if they took Brian Thomas WR LSU at 18.

I posted yesterday that I actually like this idea. Then I would like them to trade Tee for a second rounder and start drafting OL and DL.

Added bonus if the Steelers want him like a lot of mocks say they do.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Soonerpeace - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 12:39 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I posted yesterday that I actually like this idea. Then I would like them to trade Tee for a second rounder and start drafting OL and DL.

If they let him walk after this coming season they will likely get a third round compensatory pick so it’s going to have to be a high second rounder or first rounder.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - puddycat - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 10:37 AM)sandwedge Wrote: What exactly were you expecting in FA?  I think we did very good.

This what I was expecting.. actually this is better than what I was expecting. We have filled the all the obvious holes that were in our roster.  I was particularly impressed by addressing the safety room.  Free agency was rich with safeties and we took advantage.  We got a guy at RT and DT, eventually.  We refilled the empty TE room, but have not yet added a long-term solution.  The litmus test for free agency is whether the Bengals are in a position to draft BPA, which they are, even if a few positions (e.g. RT) get bumped up rather than  pure BPA.  I was expecting a big signing, but with the unexpected increase in cap, those top players got paid.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 07:57 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Meh.  Since 2021 Bengals have won more playoff games than the rest of the afc north combined. Competing and winning your division is the first goal of every season . That said, it seems like we match up better against elite teams outside of our division.

With a healthy 9, we compete just fine anywhere anytime.

Yep, I see us coming back with a vengeance in our Division this year with a healthy Burrow, an aggressive OL and a better run 
stopping Defense. When you looked at our team last year with a healthy Burrow we were a top team and even with our backup
we were competitive. We get better at blocking for Burrow which we should with the additions of Trent Brown and Zack Moss 
and better at running the ball and it will keep our Defense fresh and aggressive.

(03-20-2024, 11:43 AM)Joelist Wrote: We did do good. 

Sometimes I think some of our people did not watch the games. The defense was not blown off the line last season; the issue was explosive plays and the cause was mental mistakes emanating from the secondary being out of position all the time and taking bad angles. Stone and Bell directly speak to that issue which got so bad it affected Wilson and Pratt who could not trust from one play to the next that the secondary would be correctly aligned. 

This Free Agency they were obviously targeting areas in the teams game that were deficient last season. Also remember they are envisioning changing the offense to something a bit less OL unfriendly - they started this last season. Moss and Gesicki support this and Brown also fits well into it. 

Think so as well. Also I might add that Gesicki has never played with a QB of Burrow's quality and he said so himself and this 
guy had a 1,000 yard season once. I know some gave me crap saying we haven't had a TE like this since Eifert, but I stand by
this. This guy is a natural Receiver who is a great route runner for a TE. Gesicki in the Slot could be very dangerous.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalbug - 03-21-2024

Not sure the bengals will do anything of much significance before the draft. That said, best remaining FA that fit perceives needs/holes. With the gluttony of CBs still on the market, I fully expect a 1 year deal with someone before the draft.

2. Cowboys CB Stephon Gilmore

The 2019 defensive player of the year stepped up last season, especially when Trevon Diggs (knee) went down for the year. Gilmore will turn 34 years old during the regular season, but showed last year he can still play at a high level.

6. Dolphins CB Xavien Howard

Howard’s coverage ability declined a little bit last year. He allowed nearly a 63% completion percentage when targeted, the second highest rate of his career. But entering his ninth year, Howard is still a starting-caliber corner.

7. Bills CB Tre’Davious White

White is a two-time Pro Bowler and 29 years old, but he’s only appeared in 10 combine games the past two years due to injuries. His 2023 season was cut short due to a torn Achilles.

8. Falcons DL Calais Campbell

The 37-year-old defensive lineman wants to play a 17th season in the NFL. He’s still wildly durable and effective. He started all 17 games for the Falcons and compiled 6.5 sacks last season. Campbell is a veteran leader who can still make an impact despite getting up there in age. He has 105.5 career sacks.

9. Giants CB Adoree' Jackson

Jackson started 36 games for the Giants the past three seasons. He only has two interceptions the last three years, but he did log 23 passes defended. He can also be used as a return man.

11. Texans CB Steven Nelson

The well-traveled cornerback could be playing for his fifth team. But Nelson, 31, is an experienced corner with 13 interceptions and 78 passes defended in 130 career games.

12. Titans CB Kristian Fulton

Fulton is coming off a bad year. He allowed a career-worst 75% completion percentage and was eventually placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury. He does have good game tape prior to 2023.

16. Bengals WR Tyler Boyd

One of the NFL’s most underrated slot receivers, Boyd’s had at least 58 catches for six straight years. Boyd was the veteran leader in Cincinnati’s wideout room.

17. Dolphins OL Connor Williams

Williams tore his ACL in December last season. He likely won’t be full-go for a while. When healthy, he’s a starting-caliber interior lineman who can play guard or center.

18. Seahawks DT Teair Tart

Tart was released by Tennessee during the 2023 season after starting nine games. The defensive tackle has 79 tackles, 2.5 sacks in 47 career games (36 starts).

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - ochocincos - 03-21-2024

(03-20-2024, 12:39 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I posted yesterday that I actually like this idea.  Then I would like them to trade Tee for a second rounder and start drafting OL and DL.

I had heard a rumor when Johnson got traded that the Steelers really like Odunze and may be trying to trade up to get him.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Soonerpeace - 03-21-2024

(03-20-2024, 11:43 AM)Joelist Wrote: We did do good. 

Sometimes I think some of our people did not watch the games.The defense was not blown off the line last season; the issue was explosive plays and the cause was mental mistakes emanating from the secondary being out of position all the time and taking bad angles. Stone and Bell directly speak to that issue which got so bad it affected Wilson and Pratt who could not trust from one play to the next that the secondary would be correctly aligned. 

This Free Agency they were obviously targeting areas in the teams game that were deficient last season. Also remember they are envisioning changing the offense to something a bit less OL unfriendly - they started this last season. Moss and Gesicki support this and Brown also fits well into it. 

The secondary struggled more than anywhere else but stopping the run game doesn’t fall completely on the safeties either. As far as the run game when they went to a more power and gap scheme after game 6 in ‘22 they flourished but in ‘23 they struggled again. If they can develop a really good run game woe to the leagues defenses.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-21-2024

(03-21-2024, 11:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I had heard a rumor when Johnson got traded that the Steelers really like Odunze and may be trying to trade up to get him.

I don't want to see Rome going to the stealers... Mellow

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalbug - 03-21-2024

(03-21-2024, 03:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't want to see Rome going to the stealers... Mellow

I’ll bite… so who do you want to see go to the Steelers?

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-21-2024

(03-21-2024, 03:03 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I’ll bite… so who do you want to see go to the Steelers?

Guyton, I think he will be a bust.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pulses - 03-21-2024

(03-21-2024, 11:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I had heard a rumor when Johnson got traded that the Steelers really like Odunze and may be trying to trade up to get him.

My buddy is a steelers guy and he told me that last week that they love Odunze and would like to trade up for him.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-22-2024

guessing nothing happened yesterday lol

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalbug - 03-22-2024

(03-21-2024, 03:20 PM)pulses Wrote: My buddy is a steelers guy and he told me that last week that they love Odunze and would like to trade up for him.

He is a Steelers fan? So he doesn’t know any more than us. Of course they want Odunze, just like we want bowers.

(03-22-2024, 09:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: guessing nothing happened yesterday lol

The sun rose. Then set.

As far as the bengals go, nothing from a FA perspective that was reported.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Mike M (the other one) - 03-22-2024

(03-22-2024, 09:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: guessing nothing happened yesterday lol

not a whole lot is going to happen now until after the draft, then fill any remaining holes.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-22-2024

(03-22-2024, 10:20 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: not a whole lot is going to happen now until after the draft, then fill any remaining holes.

figured that might be where we are at outside a few 1 year min deals to plug a spot for camp.  most will come @ or after the draft.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nicomo Cosca - 03-22-2024

(03-22-2024, 11:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Don’t be surprised if we sign a CB now… first report of an offer being made.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Soonerpeace - 03-22-2024

(03-22-2024, 11:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Really don’t know what that says about Dax Hill.