Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: { All Things Biden & Trump } (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-All-Things-Biden-Trump)
+---- Thread: Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals (/Thread-Bond-slashed-to-175-million-while-Trump-appeals)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals - pally - 04-05-2024

(04-05-2024, 07:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not wasting my time pulling dozens of links, simply to show you what the world sees.  Just enter "1st and 2nd Amendments being trampled on by these governments" into your search bar, you'll be amazed by the volume and severity of the results that you will see.

what I see with that search are a lot of opinion pieces written mostly by conservatives and conservative organizations.

Opinion pieces are not facts.  Can you point to specific laws that have been passed that have "trampled" on the rights in these amendments?.

RE: Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals - Dill - 04-05-2024

(04-05-2024, 06:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really? I find that sentence to be laughable at best. If the Democratic Party were the front line of protection of the Constitution, why are they always attempting to squash people's rights granted in the 1st and 2nd Amendments at the State and local levels? As well as infringing upon earnest citizens rights to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness by initiating such policies as doing away with cash bail, putting criminals right back out there to do harm to the hard working, tax paying portion of our society?

The reason it shouldn't be laughable is because Dems are the primary obstacle to the authoritarian GOP front runner who has already tried to void the fundamental basis of democracy: The Vote. And from the get go Trump has been steadily attacking the next necessary foundation of modern democracy--the free press.

But I'm not seeing any rights "squashed" in your claimed examples.  Perhaps they are not specific enough.

No government can tolerate absolute free speech. And since the founding of this country, the argument has been between factions who want it form themselves and not for others. E.g., when Trump founded his "Truth Social" to protect "free speech," he began by forbidding criticism of him or the site. https://www.salon.com/2021/10/21/new-social-media-platform-will-bar-users-from-making-disparaging-comments-about-it_partner/.

For 240 years we have had a constant back and forth of proposed policies by each side, which often get taken to court and then reversed. You must be referring to something like that, but I I don't know what, specifically. Perhaps it is the effort to fight disinformation on social media, or efforts to restrict Trump from directing violence against the families of court officers or mocking a rape victim?  I have seen right-wing pushback against "leftist" speech codes on campuses that I agree with because the "leftists" were wrong to restrict speech. But their partial and local policies I never considered a serious threat to democracy.

Same for 2A rights. They cannot be absolute, and communities negotiate their reach. Limiting mag sizes or requiring background checks is neither a threat to democracy nor criminality on the order of calling a state secretary to coerce him into finding votes. 

So far as I know, the cash bail policies you were referring to were motivated by an effort to defend rights of poor and often unemployed people by re-crafting a law which unequally imposed costs on citizens. If the policy turns out to be bad or unworkable, then it can and will be revoked. There is no "threat to democracy" in that normal process.

PS Sounds like you think tax-paying should be a criteria for rights, not citizenship or humanity.

RE: Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals - SunsetBengal - 04-05-2024

(04-05-2024, 07:28 PM)pally Wrote: what I see with that search are a lot of opinion pieces written mostly by conservatives and conservative organizations.

Opinion pieces are not facts.  Can you point to specific laws that have been passed that have "trampled" on the rights in these amendments?.

Here's just ONE example, to show you that I'm not full of shit.

https://www.nyc.gov/site/cchr/law/legal-guidances-gender-identity-expression.page

I'll spare everyone else from seeing the contents. Feel free to examine it for yourself, it's clearly a stomping of 1A.

(04-05-2024, 07:32 PM)Dill Wrote: The reason it shouldn't be laughable is because Dems are the primary obstacle to the authoritarian GOP front runner who has already tried to void the fundamental basis of democracy: The Vote. And from the get go Trump has been steadily attacking the next necessary foundation of modern democracy--the free press.

Oh, you're framing your argument on and clinging to that?? LOL

People would like a 3rd choice in the election, but unfortunately only the democrats in this forum are celebrating that the No Labels Party isn't going to be on the Presidential Ballot...

(04-05-2024, 06:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No, I didn't forget.
Possibly.  Will the armed citizens who aren't their followers follow suit under such conditions?
I'm sure you do, since you have the typical far leftist view of gun ownership.  One of my better friends is a left leaning black man.  We hit the range as a group fairly often.  He would scoff at your assertion.  As would Bel, if I may deign to speak for him with knowledge of his stance on this position.
Calm yourself, Dill.  Don't be the obnoxious person you claim to dislike.

So. No explanation.

Oh wait. A Black man would "scoff" at my assertion. 
So would another poster for whom you frequently speak. 

NOW I see why privately owned guns could NEVER be used by millions supporters of an authoritarian leader
who might once again claim "rigged" if he loses an election he was caught subverting in 2021.

PS. I have a Black friend too.

(04-05-2024, 07:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, you're framing your argument on and clinging to that?? LOL

People would like a 3rd choice in the election, but unfortunately only the democrats in this forum are celebrating that the No Labels Party isn't going to be on the Presidential Ballot...

Yes, clinging to the fact that Trump tried to overturn democracy, and has the backing of the GOP, 
with his family members in control of party hierarchy.

While Dems have NOT done anything like that.  No "likewise." Ever.

Part of what makes Trump and GOP such a danger is not only that millions no longer see a coup attempt as especially disqualifying,

but that they see attempts to hold the autocrat accountable--upholding rule of law--as the real threat.

A 3rd choice will likely be an indirect vote for Trump. No biggy if you don't think the coup was all that.

RE: Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals - Belsnickel - 04-05-2024

(04-05-2024, 07:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nailed it!  The modern left is the absolute biggest threat to our oldest Constitutional protections.  One need only look what they are doing in countries that used to be bastions of Western freedom such as Canada, the UK and Australia.  They're imprisoning people , literally taking away freedom, for having and voicing an "offensive" opinion.  They're cancelling your bank accounts for daring to oppose them.  I have zero truck with the 01/06 rioters.  But the biggest threat to our freedoms as we've had them since the enacting of the Bill of Rights is the far left, and it's not even close.  

https://www.cato.org/blog/new-polling-suggests-kids-are-not-alright-free-speech

[Image: inserra%201.png?itok=wM63HZhI]

"Progressivism" is a disease entirely at odds with basic Western freedoms.  Note this graph is about allowing a person who is "anti" the topic to speak.  Looks like the conservatives are the tolerant ones, not the "liberals".  Modern liberalism is not liberal, it is fascism hiding under the bloody skin of what used to be actual liberalism.  Conservatives have their issues, to be very sure, Charlottesville as one extreme example.  But the above is far more insidious as it is far more pervasive and it is far more accepted.  

Sorry, what passes for the far left these days.  You are not the good guys, you're the baddies and even old school, died in the wool liberals like Bill Maher are waking up to it.  And I say that as a hard core centrist, in the true sense of the word.  Tongue

As someone who is a progressive, at least how the Roosevelts would have viewed it in the quotes in my signature, it bothers me so much to see these sorts of things. There are speakers who are intentionally seeking to incite responses from people, and those folks should not be invited to campuses not because of their viewpoints but simply because they are not there for civil discourse. We should always promote the free exchange of ideas in academia and those whose intention it is to cause a disturbance are not furthering that cause. Don't like someone's viewpoint? Hold counter programming. Share your opinions (signs are still in windows on my campus from the anti-trans speaker we had last year). But let them say their peace.

Honestly, sometimes it is good to hear from these folks. One of my favorite events was listening to Carly Fiorina speak (she is on our board of visitors, though all I can ever think of when she is mentioned is her demon sheep ad, IYKYK). She has an interesting story and is a good speaker. I disagree with her on a lot of things, but I enjoyed the experience. Sometimes, I even read books written by right wing zealot types with premises I find highly frustrating and farcical. I would throw the book if I owned it, but I will only check it out of the library because I don't want to give them any money. At least they are easy reads; they have to play to their audience. Ninja

(04-05-2024, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's just ONE example, to show you that I'm not full of shit.

https://www.nyc.gov/site/cchr/law/legal-guidances-gender-identity-expression.page

I'll spare everyone else from seeing the contents. Feel free to examine it for yourself, it's clearly a stomping of 1A.

Gosh, how are you construing 1A here? 

he New York City Human Rights Law (“NYCHRL”) prohibits discrimination in employment, public accommodations, and housing. It also prohibits discriminatory harassment and bias-based profiling by law enforcement. The NYCHRL, pursuant to the 2005 Civil Rights Restoration Act, must be construed “independently from similar or identical provisions of New York state or federal statutes,” such that “similarly worded provisions of federal and state civil rights laws [are] a floor below which the City’s Human Rights law cannot fall, rather than a ceiling above which the local law cannot rise.” 1

This looks like laws protecting rights, protecting against discrimination.

(04-05-2024, 07:51 PM)Dill Wrote: Yes, clinging to the fact that Trump tried to overturn democracy, and has the backing of the GOP, 
with his family members in control of party hierarchy.

While Dems have NOT done anything like that.  No "likewise." Ever.

Part of what makes Trump and GOP such a danger is not only that millions no longer see a coup attempt as especially disqualifying,

but that they see attempts to hold the autocrat accountable--upholding rule of law--as the real threat.

A 3rd choice will likely be an indirect vote for Trump. No biggy if you don't think the coup was all that.

Sorry Sir, but you are starting to sound like not just a broken record, but a broken record that has become warped from being allowed to lay in the sun to long.

People are just over that argument.  The Mayor of DC declined Trump's aid suggesting that they need 10K National Guard on hand, Liz Cheney has soiled her 'reputation' by suppressing that info in the Jan 6 trials. More and more people are realizing that Jan 6 was orchestrated by a few bad actors counting on the 'mob mentality' to take over, similar to all of the Antifa "mostly peaceful" protests that went on seemingly endlessly.

You and your "party" want to keep claiming that Trump threatened our democracy, but the more info that comes out, the more you sound like a warped, broken record in repeating that claim over and over.

RE: Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-05-2024

(04-05-2024, 07:38 PM)Dill Wrote: So. No explanation.

Was one necessary?  You stated I forgot to include one.  I replied that I did not forget.  Is English causing you difficulty?

Quote:Oh wait. A Black man would "scoff" at my assertion. 

This particular one, yeah.  He'd hardly be alone.

Quote:So would another poster for whom you frequently speak. 

Do I?  Odd that he never contradicts my assertions?  If I ever misrepresent his position I will humbly apologize, he's a person worthy of respect.  I've yet to be told as such.

Quote:NOW I see why privately owned guns could NEVER be used by millions supporters of an authoritarian leader
who might once again claim "rigged" if he loses an election he was caught subverting in 2021.

Oh poor, Dill.  You live in such a bubble you think only conservatives own guns.  Maybe take a walk outside that ivory tower every once in a while.  Condescend to witness how us plebeians live.

Quote:PS. I have a Black friend too.

Oh my, what an attempted low blow from you.  It's always amusing what you're capable of when you get riled up.   Wink

RE: Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-05-2024

(04-05-2024, 07:55 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: As someone who is a progressive, at least how the Roosevelts would have viewed it in the quotes in my signature, it bothers me so much to see these sorts of things. There are speakers who are intentionally seeking to incite responses from people, and those folks should not be invited to campuses not because of their viewpoints but simply because they are not there for civil discourse. We should always promote the free exchange of ideas in academia and those whose intention it is to cause a disturbance are not furthering that cause. Don't like someone's viewpoint? Hold counter programming. Share your opinions (signs are still in windows on my campus from the anti-trans speaker we had last year). But let them say their peace.

Even a deliberate rabble-rouser should be allowed to speak.  If their arguments are so easily refuted then allowing them to express them is a net benefit.  You are correct, it is painful to see.  I can recall some very odious speakers at my college, very racist "La Raza" speakers, self proclaimed Stalinists.  No one ever shouted them down or attempted to physically stop them.  We just ignored them.

Quote:Honestly, sometimes it is good to hear from these folks. One of my favorite events was listening to Carly Fiorina speak (she is on our board of visitors, though all I can ever think of when she is mentioned is her demon sheep ad, IYKYK). She has an interesting story and is a good speaker. I disagree with her on a lot of things, but I enjoyed the experience. Sometimes, I even read books written by right wing zealot types with premises I find highly frustrating and farcical. I would throw the book if I owned it, but I will only check it out of the library because I don't want to give them any money. At least they are easy reads; they have to play to their audience. Ninja

100.  If you are terrified of a speaker with opposing viewpoints it can only be because you fear the validity of their argument, especially in contrast to yours.  It's borderline religious at this point.  My father always said a faith that cannot withstand a good challenge is not a real faith.  As to reading those books, I can empathize.  I promised a friend I would read Ibram X. Kendi's "Antiracist" book.  The urge to burn that mother effer before finishing it was palpable.

RE: Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals - Belsnickel - 04-05-2024

(04-05-2024, 08:11 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Even a deliberate rabble-rouser should be allowed to speak.  If their arguments are so easily refuted then allowing them to express them is a net benefit.  You are correct, it is painful to see.  I can recall some very odious speakers at my college, very racist "La Raza" speakers, self proclaimed Stalinists.  No one ever shouted them down or attempted to physically stop them.  We just ignored them.

Note that I specifically said "invited to speak." There is a difference between allowing someone to speak and inviting them. There is also a difference between the university itself inviting a speaker and a student org or some others doing so. There are some nuances there that I think are important.

(04-05-2024, 08:22 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Note that I specifically said "invited to speak." There is a difference between allowing someone to speak and inviting them. There is also a difference between the university itself inviting a speaker and a student org or some others doing so. There are some nuances there that I think are important.

Fair point, and duly noted.

(04-05-2024, 08:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Was one necessary?  You stated I forgot to include one.  I replied that I did not forget.  Is English causing you difficulty?
This particular one, yeah.  He'd hardly be alone.
Do I?  Odd that he never contradicts my assertions?  If I ever misrepresent his position I will humbly apologize, he's a person worthy of respect.  I've yet to be told as such.
Oh poor, Dill.  You live in such a bubble you think only conservatives own guns.  Maybe take a walk outside that ivory tower every once in a while.  Condescend to witness how us plebeians live.
Oh my, what an attempted low blow from you.  It's always amusing what you're capable of when you get riled up.   Wink

Yes, an explanation was necessary. "Scoff" =/= explanation.

I'm not a conservative; I own guns. Showed you a model pic of the Winchester once. You thought it was neat.

Quippery aside, what's the hold up on the explanation?

If you didn't forget to include it, which part was it? I only saw bald assertion.
No better than saying gun owners will NEVER support an authoritarian because that's not what the 2A was intended for.

Nothing since but quippery.  Now I suppose you won't repeat yourself.

(04-05-2024, 05:37 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: In order to "save" democracy, you are trying hard to strip Trump of his assets and send him to Jail. 
Isn't that like how some of those other types did to their Political Rivals? 

And that's just getting warmed up. I have to jet out for a while, but i'll circle back around after you've digested that and find an excuse.

The law is holding Trump accountable for laws he is charged with violating. Yes.

My "excuse" for supporting that is that I don't think Trump is above the law.

(04-05-2024, 08:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry Sir, but you are starting to sound like not just a broken record, but a broken record that has become warped from being allowed to lay in the sun to long.

People are just over that argument.  The Mayor of DC declined Trump's aid suggesting that they need 10K National Guard on hand, Liz Cheney has soiled her 'reputation' by suppressing that info in the Jan 6 trials. More and more people are realizing that Jan 6 was orchestrated by a few bad actors counting on the 'mob mentality' to take over, similar to all of the Antifa "mostly peaceful" protests that went on seemingly endlessly.

You and your "party" want to keep claiming that Trump threatened our democracy, but the more info that comes out, the more you sound like a warped, broken record in repeating that claim over and over.

A "few bad actors" orchestrated Republican officials in 7 states to create a false slate of electors 
and deliver it to Pence, who was to be pressured by the crowd Trump sicced on the Capitol. 

Had Pence caved, (false) irregularities were expected to throw the vote to the House, where Trump would win the vote.

That was the plan. Pence and Trump's own WH staff are the primary witnesses. Plus the paper trail

No "info" has come out refuting this. And until it is refuted, the majority party won't be over it. NO ONE SHOULD BE.

(04-05-2024, 07:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nailed it!  The modern left is the absolute biggest threat to our oldest Constitutional protections.  One need only look what they are doing in countries that used to be bastions of Western freedom such as Canada, the UK and Australia.  They're imprisoning people , literally taking away freedom, for having and voicing an "offensive" opinion.  They're cancelling your bank accounts for daring to oppose them.  I have zero truck with the 01/06 rioters.  But the biggest threat to our freedoms as we've had them since the enacting of the Bill of Rights is the far left, and it's not even close. 

So that poll of student preferences  establishes the global trend. 

And in Canada, the UK and Australia, the "modern left" is jailing people for "offensive" opinion. 
Hmmm. No links or mention of what those opinions were though.

We should compare them to countries like Russia and Hungary and Turkey, where the "modern right" is
also "literally taking away freedom" for "having and voicing an 'offensive' opinion."

Then we can better measure the "absoluteness" of leftists threats.

(04-05-2024, 07:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: "Progressivism" is a disease entirely at odds with basic Western freedoms.  Note this graph is about allowing a person who is "anti" the topic to speak.  Looks like the conservatives are the tolerant ones, not the "liberals".  Modern liberalism is not liberal, it is fascism hiding under the bloody skin of what used to be actual liberalism.  Conservatives have their issues, to be very sure, Charlottesville as one extreme example.  But the above is far more insidious as it is far more pervasive and it is far more accepted.  

Sorry, what passes for the far left these days.  You are not the good guys, you're the baddies and even old school, died in the wool liberals like Bill Maher are waking up to it.  And I say that as a hard core centrist, in the true sense of the word.  Tongue

LOL The new "centrism."  Far left "Fascists" won't tolerate speakers who claim Trans people suffer from mental disease. 

Far more insidious than marchers chanting "Jews will not replace us!"  

(04-05-2024, 09:29 PM)Dill Wrote: So that poll of student preferences  establishes the global trend.

We live in the US, I could care less about "Global Trend".  

And in Canada, the UK and Australia, the "modern left" is jailing people for "offensive" opinion. 

Hmm, so you would like for the US to do away with the protections of 1A, got it.

LOL The new "centrism."  Far left "Fascists" won't tolerate speakers who claim Trans people suffer from mental disease. 

Calling people what they biologically are is only offensive to the people who subscribe to the Party of "trust the Science". Failing to allow those who do not believe people's fairytales about being the opposite gender is 1A suppression.

(04-05-2024, 09:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So that poll of student preferences  establishes the global trend.

We live in the US, I could care less about "Global Trend".  

Hmm, so you would like for the US to do away with the protections of 1A, got it.

Calling people what they biologically are is only offensive to the people who subscribe to the Party of "trust the Science". Failing to allow those who do not believe people's fairytales about being the opposite gender is 1A suppression.

1. The comments on global trending were in response to SSF's comments on global trending.
    Apparently he does care about such things, or he'd not have mentioned Canada, the UK, etc.

2. I noted that SSF provided no links to his examples of "modern left" speech suppression.
    How'm I supposed to know what he is talking about.  Plus he's eager to present evidence when he really has it.
    From that you concluded I am against free speech?

3. I don't think that speech should be limited simply because someone claims to be offended by it. Were that allowed, then anyone could legally
    prevent other political views from being heard by claiming to be offended. I think it odd, though to call oneself a "centrist" while calling 
    some college students "fascist" for opposing speakers advocating polices negatively targeting gender or racial identities.  For the record, I
    don't think people should be legally penalized for hate speech against minorities (unless there is a safety issue of the "yelling fire in a crowded
    theater" type). But discrimination, e.g. in hiring, is another matter.

(04-05-2024, 09:18 PM)Dill Wrote: A "few bad actors" orchestrated Republican officials in 7 states to create a false slate of electors 
and deliver it to Pence, who was to be pressured by the crowd Trump sicced on the Capitol. 

Sounds like a few good people did their level best to stop the steal. You act like States didn't use "covid" as an excuse to just manipulate election policy any way that they saw fit.

No "info" has come out refuting this. And until it is refuted, the majority party won't be over it. NO ONE SHOULD BE.

Lol, if your rhetoric in that sentence doesn't say "we stole an election, and you can't prove that we did" then I don't know what does.