Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** (/Thread-2024-NFL-DRAFT-THREAD)

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - Fan_in_Kettering - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 03:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We just took a 24 year old slow CB in round five. 

We've been sitting on our hands this entire draft, with a plethora of picks, as we continue to take inferior talent because we are scared to death to leverage picks to move up. 

I'm tired of letting the board fall and taking sloppy seconds while everyone else gets the talent, especially when we are in win now mode.

It started with missing on Murphy and Newton and has continued this entire draft. 

Bengals are whiffing while they continue to hoard their precious later picks. 

I get it. Thank you for sharing and you’re one of my favorite posters; I respect your opinion.

+++

Here’s my thinking for what it’s worth. This isn’t the Marvin Lewis version of the Bengals anymore. This team is a perennial Super Bowl contender. After the horrific 2020 season let’s look at the record: 31-19 in the regular season, 5-2 in the playoffs, and two AFC Championship appearances. That’s elite. Don’t forget the Bengals were in the Super Bowl recently.

Elite teams draft differently than mere playoff contenders and those who stink and need immediate impact. Elite teams take a mixture of immediate starters at positions of need, others who add depth to various rooms, and finally some projects for the future.

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - BengalFanInCanada - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You are absolutely shitting yourself if you don't think the Bengals wanted Murphy over Mims. The look on their faces when Murphy was picked is all you needed to know. 

It couldn’t have been a big surprise, he was often mocked much earlier.  They actually needed Mims quite a bit more.

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - 007BengalsFan - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Meltdowns over day 3 picks will never not be funny.

NFL rosters are made up of more than just 1-3 round draft picks.  It is important to hit on some of your day 3 picks so these picks do matter.  I can understand the passion some fans have wanting the Bengals to do well with their picks for day 3

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - coachmcneil71 - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Meltdowns over day 3 picks will never not be funny.

If you're speaking to All over Stover, All was the player with the higher ceiling despite the injuries. We already have what some would call steady TE's, this guy gives us a possible weapon TE that blocks as well as receives. Little bit of a gamble, but possible high reward. I was good with it. So, sorry no meltdown. That was Thursday when we drafted a giant that has less snaps than my brother's boy playing Pee-Wee football. 

He is a big son of a gun though, so I'll trust in Zac and get onboard with it.

***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - Rotobeast - 04-27-2024

We need a trade up to grab Mahogany.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - Clark W Griswold - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:04 PM)kevin Wrote: NO, they didn't.  This is when draft coverage by both ESPN and NFL Network goes into the toilet.  Not worth watching now, as it is last rounds every year.  All you get is the talking heads. few highlight footage.  Didn't even get much info on Newton.  The CBS draft tracker site says Newton has a skill in good in press coverage.  Not a good tackler, not very athletic and on and on what he is bad at.  However is a good press coverage guy.....I see he is 6 foot tall and 190. and Bengals tend to like the taller CB's over those short guys, so 6 foot tall is probably what Bengals like.   TV didn't say much about him, but they skip over Cincinnati a lot in the drafts in the late rounds, and not much now for Bengals Fans to keep watching ESPN of NFL Network as they will skip over Cincinnati from here to the end. .....It didn't say good on Special Teams. sometimes a late DB is to help on Special Teams, but no info on that.....Good in press coverage, which is something. A player to develop and Coach Up.

Yeah I know they like captains (right Weezy?) and I am seeing that him being older and experienced makes them think he’s pro ready. Maybe they are giving up some youth and developmental talent for a guy they think can step right in and help them more this year?

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - bengalsboy - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 03:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Which is kind of wild. 10 draft picks aren’t making the team.

Maybe not.But that is what the practice squad is for.

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - ochocincos - 04-27-2024

I gotta say, a lot of these draft picks are high-risk, high-reward picks.
Most were not overly productive in college, primarily due to injuries.
But the ceilings are there for nearly all of them.

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - Nicomo Cosca - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:11 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: NFL rosters are made up of more than just 1-3 round draft picks.  It is important to hit on some of your day 3 picks so these picks do matter.  I can understand the passion some fans have wanting the Bengals to do well with their picks for day 3

You say passion, I say tantrums.

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - WeezyBengal - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I get it.  Thank you for sharing and you’re one of my favorite posters; I respect your opinion.

+++

Here’s my thinking for what it’s worth.  This isn’t the Marvin Lewis version of the Bengals anymore.  This team is a perennial Super Bowl contender.  After the horrific 2020 season let’s look at the record: 31-19 in the regular season, 5-2 in the playoffs, and two AFC Championship appearances.  That’s elite.  Don’t forget the Bengals were in the Super Bowl recently.

Elite teams draft differently than mere playoff contenders and those who stink and need immediate impact.  Elite teams take a mixture of immediate starters at positions of need, others who add depth to various rooms, and finally some projects for the future.

Again, I know I'm being negative. I just wish for once the Bengals would push the envelope and really get aggressive with trading picks to move up. This was the year to do it. 

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - Clark W Griswold - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I gotta say, a lot of these draft picks are high-risk, high-reward picks.
Most were not overly productive in college, primarily due to injuries.
But the ceilings are there for nearly all of them.

Yes they are swinging for the fences with a lot of these guys. High risk/reward on picks this year. Will be interesting to see how they turn out

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - bfine32 - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:12 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: We need a trade up to grab Mahogany.

We are not drafting an IOL. 

My dream pick now is Jahiem Bell at H-Back

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - TheLeonardLeap - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I get it.  Thank you for sharing and you’re one of my favorite posters; I respect your opinion.

+++

Here’s my thinking for what it’s worth.  This isn’t the Marvin Lewis version of the Bengals anymore.  This team is a perennial Super Bowl contender.  After the horrific 2020 season let’s look at the record: 31-19 in the regular season, 5-2 in the playoffs, and two AFC Championship appearances.  That’s elite.  Don’t forget the Bengals were in the Super Bowl recently.

Elite teams draft differently than mere playoff contenders and those who stink and need immediate impact.  Elite teams take a mixture of immediate starters at positions of need, others who add depth to various rooms, and finally some projects for the future.

True, don't forget the Bengals were in the Super Bowl 3 years ago... but also don't forget that 1 year ago they weren't even in the playoffs with the 22nd overall/16th scoring offense and 31st overall/21st scoring defense.

Can't rest on our laurels in 2024 because of a 2021 SB loss.

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - Synric - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We are not drafting an IOL. 

My dream pick now is Jahiem Bell at H-Back

Jaheim Bell, Rasheen Ali, Hunter Nourzad, Fabien Lovett, Cornelius Johnson.

Edit: Didn't catch the no IOL I thing they do take one. The depth at the position is still there.

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - Rotobeast - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We are not drafting an IOL. 

Obviously, cause that would like....make sense.

We don't need competition to push Volson or anyone for insurance behind Teddy.

RE: ***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD*** - Synric - 04-27-2024

(04-27-2024, 04:12 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: We need a trade up to grab Mahogany.

Didn't realize Mahogany was still on thr board wonder if he's falling because he's not scheme or position versatile. 

(04-27-2024, 03:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I've been negative, I get it. But this draft has been disappointing. 
Disagree.I think they are doing fine.

(04-27-2024, 04:20 PM)Synric Wrote: Cornelius Johnson.

I like him for us.

(04-27-2024, 04:22 PM)Synric Wrote: Didn't realize Mahogany was still on thr board wonder if he's falling because he's not scheme or position versatile. 

That's a possibility, but I'd insist he's worth a shot this late.

(04-27-2024, 03:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Looks like the Bengals are going to take all 10 picks and be the only team not to trade in this draft class.

Doesn't surprise me.They never do.