Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Welcome Amarius Mims - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Welcome Amarius Mims (/Thread-Welcome-Amarius-Mims)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - PDub80 - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh I totally agree with all of this post. I wasn't clear, but that's what I meant by "poor KiJana Carter". I felt so bad for him, and us. If he had that injury in today's times, he would've been back, and I believe a very good RB. Just rotten luck. 

Ah! I see. My mistake. 

Carter was a great choice in a time when medical stuff just wasn't what it is today. Look at Frank Gore's track record with major knee injuries/surgeries.

Shawn Alexander is the furtherst back RB I can recall to have a major knee surgery and get back to 100% and have no issues. Before him it was a death sentence. So was the Achilles Tendon. Then Marino had it and rehabbed back. I was amazed!

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Millhouse - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:43 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm not sure I would rank either of those as the Bengals biggest busts ever.

Both of those guys had MAJOR injuries the season leading up to the draft and couldn't partocipate in workouts. Neither one of them had anything special about them to really wow anyone.

I don't think Mims deserves to be lumped in with either of those two at all, IMO.

I meant to say they rank up there with the biggest Bengals bust ever, imo (not the biggest ever, that goes to Akili and couple others perhaps). And I mentioned them as part of the Bengals track record of olinemen in the last 10 years. That's all, no big deal.

Also Mims is not lumped with them, and I certainly hope he won't ever be either lol.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:54 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I am with you on some skepticism. Frank Pollack has not developed ANYONE in Cincy (either times he was here) & the current vets on the line have all underperformed compared to who they were on other teams.

His injuries are fairly minor and behind him. I'm notncon earned about that. I just want the kid to get great coaching while being asked to play into his strengths.

If there is a fair criticism of the Mims pick, it isn't Mims honestly. It is our OL coach, maybe Fautanu would do better as a LG right off 
the bat? I can understand this argument if there is one that is understandable. But still, I would of been sad if we passed on Amarius 
Mims, he is just such a talent and such a cool dude on top of it. Really hope he succeeds here, if he does, he could be a Bengal great.

(04-26-2024, 01:55 PM)Okeana Wrote: actually, according to Duke Manyweather, Mims is rare in that he actually can play with either hand.  Rare thing for Duke to say considering he believes in keeping guys at a single position

That's cool to find out!

My general sentiment was that the Bengals don't have to stick him into an unnatural position or fit and he has to totally learn something foreign to him, like Carman to LG. I like that the plan for Mims is to play RT while learning LT.

I also will NOT be sad if the Bengals take another OT in this draft if one falls to them and it makes sense. Interior OL makes more sense to me, but they need to get development depth that can actually contribute.

No more Adenijis, Hills, Carmans, etc. Those 3 players got a total of 3 snaps between them combined in 2023. All on special teams. That is total trash drafting.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:57 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Ah! I see. My mistake. 

Carter was a great choice in a time when medical stuff just wasn't what it is today. Look at Frank Gore's track record with major knee injuries/surgeries.

Shawn Alexander is the furtherst back RB I can recall to have a major knee surgery and get back to 100% and have no issues. Before him it was a death sentence. So was the Achilles Tendon. Then Marino had it and rehabbed back. I was amazed!

Yessir, it's amazing how far sports medicine has advanced. 

Welcome Amarius Mims - The D.O.Z. - 04-26-2024

The lack of game reps COULD be a blessing in disguise if the kid is as smart as he is physically gifted. No knee, quad, or shoulder injuries thus far, not a lot of wear and tear besides the ankle he had corrected, that's a plus for any man his size. I imagine he'll get some preseason reps at RT, then in-season he is our 6th man. It gets him NFL experience while getting him ready for a possible T Brown injury and he gets to play this year and be a difference maker. Imagine short yardage / goal line sets with Mims declaring eligible and Sample a moving piece on the line or as an H-back. Woooo boy!

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - coachmcneil71 - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If there is a fair criticism of the Mims pick, it isn't Mims honestly. It is our OL coach, maybe Fautanu would do better as a LG right off 
the bat? I can understand this argument if there is one that is understandable. But still, I would of been sad if we passed on Amarius 
Mims, he is just such a talent and such a cool dude on top of it. Really hope he succeeds here, if he does, he could be a Bengal great.

Fingers crossed! Agree for the most part, especially about the coaching. His lack of snaps sux as well. I like the kid, and he has potential, but considering everything involved it's more glass half empty than full for me. Not Mims per say, just the circumstances surrounding the pick. I hope he balls out! But I have concerns as we all should.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - ChaseThis - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If there is a fair criticism of the Mims pick, it isn't Mims honestly. It is our OL coach.

This is exactly where I'm at with it. I love his measurables and clear talent. But like any young OL coming into the league (particularly ones that have only played 8 games total) he is going to need clear refining, developing, and coaching.

I have absolutely zero faith in Pollack being able to do that. 

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Nepa - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If there is a fair criticism of the Mims pick, it isn't Mims honestly. It is our OL coach, maybe Fautanu would do better as a LG right off 

Well, the Bengals have added Justin Rascati (former Vikings assistant offensive line coach) as passing game coordinator, and Jordan Salkin as offensive assistant, so perhaps they bring some fresh insights that can help the Bengals offensive line play.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - kevin - 04-26-2024

Some posts on here mention bad O Line picks by Bengals. You really have to separate Marvin era from Zac era. When Zac came in, many Marvin era picks were removed from the team ASAP. The result was Super Bowl and AFC Championship back to back years, with Burrow playing injured start of last year and out most of end of season. I can't complain about the picks in Zac era with team winning play-off games.

Bengals probably would have taken the DT of Murphy but he was off the board. So was TE- Bowers. So Bengals took an OT, which they will need because a veteran OT is a free agent at end of this season. Round One was just the start. A record run on QB's in round one, helps the Bengals in round 2. ESPN and Mel Kiper said some of these QB's were not round 1 talent. That means there should be round 1 talent on the board for Bengals in round 2. Bengals are set to have a great round 2 and round 3. They have grabbed an OT, so I'm thinking Defense and WR coming since so much talent at both still on the boards. Bengals will get a round 1 talent on Defense or WR in round 2 thanks to the record run on QB's.

Some media say Bengals will trade Higgins for a round 2. Others say no. We will see tonight. They will not trade him for a 3, that they can get in a comp pick at seasons end, per media sources. Trade or no trade, Bengals are in for adding good talent Day 2 of the draft.

(04-26-2024, 02:19 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Fingers crossed! Agree for the most part, especially about the coaching. His lack of snaps sux as well. I like the kid, and he has potential, but considering everything involved it's more glass half empty than full for me. Not Mims per say, just the circumstances surrounding the pick. I hope he balls out! But I have concerns as we all should.

Completely understand Coach. I think the Trent Brown addition made this pick possible. We will see how much Mims plays 
this year, but with his balance, athleticism, feet, size and strength I think he will impress. But only Frank Pollack could mess
this guy up lol

(04-26-2024, 02:19 PM)ChaseThis Wrote: This is exactly where I'm at with it. I love his measurables and clear talent. But like any young OL coming into the league (particularly ones that have only played 8 games total) he is going to need clear refining, developing, and coaching.

Yeah, I getcha. 

We got some new coaches added though and Mims is such a talent that actually plays polished, even with the lack of snaps.

The film don't lie, Mims looks great in the film against top competition. Looked the best of the OT's against JT the Buckeyes End.

(04-26-2024, 02:22 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, the Bengals have added Justin Rascati (former Vikings assistant offensive line coach) as passing game coordinator, and Jordan Salkin as offensive assistant, so perhaps they bring some fresh insights that can help the Bengals offensive line play.

Was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it Nepa. Maybe our new coaches will help, can't hurt.

Heard Rascati coached Dalton Risner too, maybe we pick him up after the Draft.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Rubekahn29 - 04-26-2024

If nothing else, I need to see Mims line up next to O Brown in jumbo, then have T Brown pull and have 5’9” C Brown running behind the wall of 6’8” T Brown, 6’8” Mims and 6’8” O Brown. The Great Wall of Cincy. You will not see C Brown until he’s gone.

(04-26-2024, 02:37 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: If nothing else, I need to see Mims line up next to O Brown in jumbo, then have T Brown pull and have 5’9” C Brown running behind the wall of 6’8” T Brown, 6’8” Mims and 6’8” O Brown. The Great Wall of Cincy. You will not see C Brown until he’s gone.

Let's get Kimani Vidal RB Troy tomorrow, dude is like 5'7". He would disappear behind these mammoths as well lol

We would have the phantom running game. Never see them until they are in the end zone. Mellow

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - coachmcneil71 - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 02:25 PM)kevin Wrote: Some posts on here mention bad O Line picks by Bengals.  You really have to separate Marvin era from Zac era.  When Zac came in, many Marvin era picks were removed from the team ASAP.  The result was Super Bowl and AFC Championship back to back years, with Burrow playing injured start of last year and out most of end of season.  I can't complain about the picks in Zac era with team winning play-off games.

Bengals probably would have taken the DT of Murphy but he was off the board.  So was TE- Bowers.  So Bengals took an OT, which they will need because a veteran OT is a free agent at end of this season.  Round One was just the start.  A record run on QB's in round one, helps the Bengals in round 2. ESPN and Mel Kiper said some of these QB's were not round 1 talent.  That means there should be round 1 talent on the board for Bengals in round 2.  Bengals are set to have a great round 2 and round 3.  They have grabbed an OT, so I'm thinking Defense and WR coming since so much talent at both still on the boards.  Bengals will get a round 1 talent on Defense or WR in round 2 thanks to the record run on QB's.

Some media say Bengals will trade Higgins for a round 2.  Others say no.  We will see tonight.  They will not trade him for a 3, that they can get in a comp pick at seasons end, per media sources. Trade or no trade, Bengals are in for adding good talent Day 2 of the draft.

Good post, Kevin! I think they will double dip at OT at some point. It only makes sense with this draft being so OL heavy. It's the smart move especially if next year's OL draft class is considered a little thin. 

As to the mention of the Marvin era, I also remeber Lap saying that if Jonah was available that they should "sprint" to the podium. He wasn't a complete disaster, but he isn't on the team any longer either.

(04-26-2024, 02:25 PM)kevin Wrote: Some posts on here mention bad O Line picks by Bengals.  You really have to separate Marvin era from Zac era.  When Zac came in, many Marvin era picks were removed from the team ASAP.  The result was Super Bowl and AFC Championship back to back years, with Burrow playing injured start of last year and out most of end of season.  I can't complain about the picks in Zac era with team winning play-off games.

Bengals probably would have taken the DT of Murphy but he was off the board.  So was TE- Bowers.  So Bengals took an OT, which they will need because a veteran OT is a free agent at end of this season.  Round One was just the start.  A record run on QB's in round one, helps the Bengals in round 2. ESPN and Mel Kiper said some of these QB's were not round 1 talent.  That means there should be round 1 talent on the board for Bengals in round 2.  Bengals are set to have a great round 2 and round 3.  They have grabbed an OT, so I'm thinking Defense and WR coming since so much talent at both still on the boards.  Bengals will get a round 1 talent on Defense or WR in round 2 thanks to the record run on QB's.

Some media say Bengals will trade Higgins for a round 2.  Others say no.  We will see tonight.  They will not trade him for a 3, that they can get in a comp pick at seasons end, per media sources. Trade or no trade, Bengals are in for adding good talent Day 2 of the draft.

ZT AND Marvin have had some absolute hot trash OLinemen come through the doors on draft day.

Mims, to me, is actually a huge swung of the pendulum from what they normally were going for. This is why I'm eager to see how the line develops as a unit with some real massive dudes on it. I mean, the Bengals O Line room is SERIOUSLY massive.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Nicomo Cosca - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 03:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Nice.  Wink

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 03:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Certainly very promising. I'd like to see some of that practice film. UGA has produced some absolute STUDS on the dline in recent years. Mims has had to block them. Yeah, I'm talking bout practice (thanks A.I.), but when you're lining up across from that kind of talent, watching those reps could provide a good barometer since his game tape is limited.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Nicomo Cosca - 04-26-2024

Let’s hope for Willie 2.0

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Luvnit2 - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 02:19 PM)ChaseThis Wrote: This is exactly where I'm at with it. I love his measurables and clear talent. But like any young OL coming into the league (particularly ones that have only played 8 games total) he is going to need clear refining, developing, and coaching.

I would say with that mindset the Bengals should never draft an OL and only let other teams develop them and then we are forced to overpay them destroying our cap.

We have 1 guy projected to start on the OL, Volson is in year 3 and we have others as backup including our #1 pick Mims.

But Mims could beat out Brown. If so, can Brown play guard better than Volson?