Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Welcome Amarius Mims - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Welcome Amarius Mims (/Thread-Welcome-Amarius-Mims)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - masonbengals fan - 04-26-2024

Not even going to associate the past failures that were drafted with this young man.

Give him a year working with our veterans.

We just landed our stud OT that we've clamored for.

Joe has to be excited playing behind these huge men.

Welcome to the Bengals Amarius.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - casear2727 - 04-26-2024

Im not reading this entire thread but some of the early comments and criticism are obviously lacking basic knolwedge.

Mims played over 20 games, not just 8, those were his starts.

The injury prone narrative needs context. He has had 2 injuries.

1. A 300 pound teammate drove a 300 pound defender into his lower leg, ala Volson injuring Cappa.

2. A teammate stepped on his ankle while he was engaging a defender.

Mims has excellent pass pro technique, he is not a project in any way. He is inexperienced which is very different.

Steelers insiders tell me he was their pick if we didn't take him.

Hopefully the kid shines and ends up a star.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - samhain - 04-26-2024

I don't hate the pick. I think he's probably getting undersold due to the lack of snaps. I don't view him as the super-developmental prospect that some seem to. He played quite well when he was on the field and he did it in the SEC. This isn't some physically gifted kid coming out of a mid major with no success vs high-level competition.

It's nice to have an offensive line with 3 absolute mammoths at tackle.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - kevin - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 02:45 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Good post, Kevin! I think they will double dip at OT at some point. It only makes sense with this draft being so OL heavy. It's the smart move especially if next year's OL draft class is considered a little thin. 

As to the mention of the Marvin era, I also remeber Lap saying that if Jonah was available that they should "sprint" to the podium. He wasn't a complete disaster, but he isn't on the team any longer either.

I didn't say they will double dip and take more O Line.  I'm saying with the historic record setting run on QBs in round one, plus so much offense taken in round one, there has to be Round One talent on Defense for Bengals tonight in Round 2.  It is also said this draft is deeper in WR talent than most years.  So top talent on Defense and at WR on the boards tonight in rounds 2 and 3.   Yes, Bengals may get a late round O Lineman maybe, and if not, they always grab undrafted O Linemen to bring into camp. Coachmcneil, get ready for Day Two, because I think people on this board are going to be very happy about this draft after Rounds 2 and 3.  So much top talent still on the board on Defense and WR due to the run on QB's on Day One.  Also look for a RB early on Day 3, because Bengals said they want one. The talent at RB is not great this year, but Bengals want a draft RB to help with Mixon gone to reload the RB stable, and I'm thinking early in Day 3.  Defense, a WR, a RB are coming to Bengals as this draft rolls on. D Line, Bengals could use a DT since they didn't get Murphy last night, he was off the boards.  When it's all over, people on this board are going to love this draft. It's only just begun. 

Thanks for saying good post, and you are right that some more O Line will be added. Tonight on Day Two, we will be amazed at how much great Defense and WR talent is still on the board, thanks to that run on QB's last night. GO BENGALS

Just like our Bengals Fantasy Football or Baseball drafts CoachMcNeil, you don't just go on Round One. I think Bengals are set up to have a great draft, and I think most on this board are going to love this draft come Sunday as they look at the whole thing. So many QB's and offense went in Round 1, so the draft board still has all this great Defensive talent for tonight, plus plenty of good WR's left on the board. Bengals make out like bandits in rounds 2 and 3 tonight, and do pretty good last day of draft also, because there has to be an under rated RB that Bengals would love to grab Day 3, they say they will take a RB in this draft.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - sandwedge - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s just data. Take it how you will. But it’s showing some very good players that didn’t play that many more snaps than Mims. Ramczyk is the one that stands out the most to me. 900 something snaps - 1st round pick - All Pro Right Tackle.

Thats how I kind of took it. 

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Nicomo Cosca - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 04:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im not reading this entire thread but some of the early comments and criticism are obviously lacking basic knolwedge.

1. A 300 pound teammate drove a 300 pound defender into his lower leg, ala Volson injuring Cappa.

2. A teammate stepped on his ankle while he was engaging a defender.

Mims has excellent pass pro technique, he is not a project in any way. He is inexperienced which is very different.

I have people on another board (fans of other teams) telling me that they’d be very worried about his “injury history.” I tried to point out that it was only one injury - the high ankle sprain. But it fell on deaf ears. They also act like him having needed surgery is some huge red flag.

If a guy like Lane Johnson can come back and play at an All Pro level at his age I think Mims should be fine. Andrew Thomas is another OT who’s had ankle surgery in recent years and has played at a high level.

(04-26-2024, 01:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh I totally agree with all of this post. I wasn't clear, but that's what I meant by "poor KiJana Carter". I felt so bad for him, and us. If he had that injury in today's times, he would've been back, and I believe a very good RB. Just rotten luck. 

You know what the really sad part was, we didn't learn our lesson.. Kenny Irons tore up his knee playing against the Lions in Detroit.......

(04-26-2024, 02:13 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: The lack of game reps COULD be a blessing in disguise if the kid is as smart as he is physically gifted. No knee, quad, or shoulder injuries thus far, not a lot of wear and tear besides the ankle he had corrected, that's a plus for any man his size. I imagine he'll get some preseason reps at RT, then in-season he is our 6th man. It gets him NFL experience while getting him ready for a possible T Brown injury and he gets to play this year and be a difference maker. Imagine short yardage / goal line sets with Mims declaring eligible and  Sample a moving piece on the line or as an H-back. Woooo boy!

Throw Mims at H-back!!

(04-26-2024, 02:19 PM)ChaseThis Wrote: This is exactly where I'm at with it. I love his measurables and clear talent. But like any young OL coming into the league (particularly ones that have only played 8 games total) he is going to need clear refining, developing, and coaching.

I have absolutely zero faith in Pollack being able to do that. 

We do understand that, but we do have to draft someone to play RT. We can't keep getting Vets on 1 year deals.

(04-26-2024, 03:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

That's some straight up gun slinging right there!

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - coachmcneil71 - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 04:36 PM)kevin Wrote: I didn't say they will double dip and take more O Line.  I'm saying with the historic record setting run on QBs in round one, plus so much offense taken in round one, there has to be Round One talent on Defense for Bengals tonight in Round 2.  It is also said this draft is deeper in WR talent than most years.  So top talent on Defense and at WR on the boards tonight in rounds 2 and 3.   Yes, Bengals may get a late round O Lineman maybe, and if not, they always grab undrafted O Linemen to bring into camp. Coachmcneil, get ready for Day Two, because I think people on this board are going to be very happy about this draft after Rounds 2 and 3.  So much top talent still on the board on Defense and WR due to the run on QB's on Day One.  Also look for a RB early on Day 3, because Bengals said they want one. The talent at RB is not great this year, but Bengals want a draft RB to help with Mixon gone to reload the RB stable, and I'm thinking early in Day 3.  Defense, a WR, a RB are coming to Bengals as this draft rolls on. D Line, Bengals could use a DT since they didn't get Murphy last night, he was off the boards.  When it's all over, people on this board are going to love this draft. It's only just begun. 

Thanks for saying good post, and you are right that some more O Line will be added.  Tonight on Day Two, we will be amazed at how much great Defense and WR talent is still on the board, thanks to that run on QB's last night.  GO BENGALS

Just like our Bengals Fantasy Football or Baseball drafts CoachMcNeil, you don't just go on Round One.  I think Bengals are set up to have a great draft, and I think most on this board are going to love this draft come Sunday as they look at the whole thing.

I agree! I never said that they would draft more OL tonight. That would be even more ignorant than reaching on potential in rd #1...cough,cough. I merely stated that it would be wise to add more OL "talent" in a draft that is OL heavy. I'm looking at Newton, Sweat, or Jackson tonight with perhaps a WR or TE in the mix. I expect they will also address RB, LB, and CB at some point. 

(04-26-2024, 03:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Certainly very promising. I'd like to see some of that practice film. UGA has produced some absolute STUDS on the dline in recent years. Mims has had to block them. Yeah, I'm talking bout practice (thanks A.I.), but when you're lining up across from that kind of talent, watching those reps could provide a good barometer since his game tape is limited.

I noticed in the video that Okeana posted, watch his kick step, he actually stones the DE after about 2 or 3 Kick step instead of what I have seen from previous OT of getting to a deep spot and then engaging. The guy called it keeping the pocket clean or something like that. He is that athletic and long armed that DEs cannot get around him. 

Orlando always seems like a really good dude.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - coachmcneil71 - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 04:56 PM)sandwedge Wrote: That's some straight up gun slinging right there!

Over the course of 8 games that means squat. His numbers are based on limited snaps aka less chances to screw up.
Other guys have 5 times as many snaps. That skews these numbers. 

(04-26-2024, 05:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Orlando always seems like a really good dude.
Mims and Orlando are the same size, but both have completely different bodies. I am 5"11" 205 and I bet I have more body fat than Mims... Hilarious
Sorry just an observation on my part

(04-26-2024, 05:04 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Over the course of 8 games that means squat. His numbers are based on limited snaps aka less chances to screw up.

He wouldn’t have been a consensus 1st round pick if it meant “squat”

His tape doesn’t lie. And if there was more of it he never makes it out of the top 10.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 04:30 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Not even going to associate the past failures that were drafted with this young man.

Give him a year working with our veterans.

We just landed our stud OT that we've clamored for.

Joe has to be excited playing behind these huge men.

Welcome to the Bengals Amarius.

No doubt, it is a new age, the age of Amarius.

(04-26-2024, 04:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im not reading this entire thread but some of the early comments and criticism are obviously lacking basic knolwedge.

1.  A 300 pound teammate drove a 300 pound defender into his lower leg, ala Volson injuring Cappa.

2.  A teammate stepped on his ankle while he was engaging a defender.

Mims has excellent pass pro technique, he is not a project in any way.  He is inexperienced which is very different.

Thanks for some perspective Casear. Just watching his film it is hard to find a weakness which is a great problem to have.

Makes me feel even better that we took the player the stealers wanted. They got a good one themselves though, bastids. Whatever

(04-26-2024, 04:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I have people on another board (fans of other teams) telling me that they’d be very worried about his “injury history.” I tried to point out that it was only one injury - the high ankle sprain. But it fell on deaf ears. They also act like him having needed surgery is some huge red flag.

If a guy like Lane Johnson can come back and play at an All Pro level at his age I think Mims should be fine. Andrew Thomas is another OT who’s had ankle surgery in recent years and has played at a high level.

Sounds like people having their minds made up to avoid the fact we got a special player. It is a lot easier for them to just scoff at the 
pick and say injury history without any perspective on said injuries.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 05:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Mims and Orlando are the same size, but both have completely different bodies. I am 5"11" 205 and I bet I have more body fat than Mims... Hilarious
Sorry just an observation on my part

Yes, Amarius Mims is built like a giant TE more than a pudgy OL...

Getting this guy instantly makes our entire OL more athletic which we desperately needed. We were the most unathletic OL last year
and before this Volson was our most athletic OL. Athleticism isn't everything of course, but being severely lacking in this department 
can hurt.

Is there going to be any kind of Press Conference today??

(04-26-2024, 05:04 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Over the course of 8 games that means squat. His numbers are based on limited snaps aka less chances to screw up.

Facepalm