Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Welcome Amarius Mims - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Welcome Amarius Mims (/Thread-Welcome-Amarius-Mims)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 10:25 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Ok I’m moving on and hope the kid booms and somehow develops the stamina and retains health to play a whole season at some point. Still a lot of talent left on the board and I’ve liked our second rounders lately.
But after seeing the circle jerk in here and multiple guys sharing on Saban and Kirby it’s quite obvious the football knowledge is elementary at best. No problem just know that those ultra positive posts by the Nathan guy are trash. He keeps crapping on Latham, a guy who went 10 spots higher and he keeps on about Mims zero sacks. Well Latham gave up 2 in about 4x the snaps.
Also, a few post back the guy posted clarification from the Georgia side in regards to Sabans comments. They are even worse. Mims TOOK HIMSELF OUT after getting “bumped” on the ankle in a do or die game. Nice.
Finally, I said pass blocking was his weakness and he has a ways to go, well the same guy posted Kioers comments on Mims where he says his pass blocking is raw and a work in progress. It’s quite obvious in tape he blocks with his massive size in college. He will need more in the nfl

Burrow took himself out when he bumped his wrist this year. Saban’s comments are bullshit. He knew Mims was coming back from tightrope surgery and re-injured the ankle. Just like Brock Bowers did.

You might as well have just wrote, “Roll tide” and I would have learned just as much with a lot less reading.

(04-26-2024, 10:26 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Burrow went on to start two full seasons and lead LSU ti a national title in the toughest league in the sport. He squashed those concerns in college, Mins has not.

Mims started the national championship game.

And people on here complained Burrow was a one year wonder without one single elite quality. You would be that guy.

(04-26-2024, 10:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: People talking about Mims' injury history. I know he had an ankle injury that shortened his senior year. What else did he have?

I asked CottonHill to list them and so far all I’ve heard is crickets. Because he doesn’t have an extensive injury history.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - BengalFanInCanada - 04-26-2024

(04-25-2024, 11:36 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Trent Brown isn't going to start the entire year... knowing that and hopefully Mims gets some development time I like the pick.

Yes I'm annoyed the Bengals for what seems the 3rd or 4th year a row not drafting a day 1 starter... but this guy has top 5 talent if there was more tape.

3-4 years not drafting a starter?

4 years ago it was Burrow.

3 years ago it was Chase.

It’s not like they had any real starters required the last two years.  Murphy would have been nice this year, but he was gone.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Whatever - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 10:14 AM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals board probabaly looked like Mims > Fautanu > Verse > Arnold > Thomas Jr. 

I'm not sure a MAC corner was on their board in the first round.

I don't know how high Arnold was on their board, either.  They value speed in the CB's they've drafted and 4.5 is definitely a departure from what they look for.  It's not just make up speed, it's these guys being able to reposition quickly for Lou's exotic coverage disguises.  

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - IcoHolic - 04-26-2024

I just hope recent history of first round linemen is done and we can develop the guy. I also hope he's not lost for the season in training camp!

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - sandwedge - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 10:57 AM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: 3-4 years not drafting a starter?

It’s not like they had any real starters required the last two years.  Murphy would have been nice this year, but he was gone.

Even Murphy would have been a part time player subbing for our 2 Dts..

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - jason - 04-26-2024

This is the best prospect that Pollack has had to develop... Put up or shut up time. After sleeping on it, I really like this pick (and I think trenches are boring).

(04-26-2024, 11:11 AM)IcoHolic Wrote: I just hope recent history of first round linemen is done and we can develop the guy. I also hope he's not lost for the season in training camp!

When someone says, development or project, to me that says, coaches pretty much need to break a player completely down. Like starting over from scratch with a certain player and that would take 2 to 3yrs. I don't see this in Mims. Of course he will get coached up, but its the finer nuances that reps will help more than anything. It will help him a lot with Trent Brown in his ear helping him also.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Synric - 04-26-2024

Dane Brugler's Amarius Mims scouting report from The Beast.

Quote:AMARIUS MIMS | Georgia 6076 | 340 lbs. | 3JR Cochran, Ga. (Bleckley County) 10/14/2002 (age 21.53)  #65  

BACKGROUND: Amarius Mims grew up in the small central Georgia town of Cochran (population 5,000). It was a “football town,” and Mims was active in sports, playing both basketball and football for the Barons in middle school. He also spent a lot of time bass fishing. Mims attended Bleckley County High School, where he was a three-sport letterman. For his sophomore season, the varsity squad had two offensive tackles entrenched as starters, but Mims was too talented to keep off the field, so he lined up as a versatile blocking tight end (he also saw snaps on the defensive line and recorded 22 tackles). As a junior, Mims earned first team All-State honors and helped Bleckley County to a 7-4 record and a state playoff appearance. He again earned first team All-State honors as a senior and helped the team advance to the quarterfinals of the 2020 2A playoffs. Mims was selected to the 2021 Under Armour All-American Game. He also lettered in basketball and track, and he posted a personal best of 48 feet, 1 inch in the shot put.

A five-star recruit, Mims was the No. 3 offensive tackle in the 2021 recruiting class and the No. 1 recruit in Georgia (ahead of his close friend QB Brock Vandagriff). He was ranked the No. 8 overall recruit nationally (one spot behind QB Caleb Williams and one spot ahead of edge rusher Dallas Turner). After his sophomore season as a blocking tight end, Georgia gave him his first scholarship offer in January 2019, when former defensive coordinator (and current Oregon head coach) Dan Lanning stopped by Bleckley County to hand deliver the news. Within the next few weeks, Mims also picked up offers from Auburn, Florida, Mississippi State, Penn State and Tennessee. The summer before his senior year, he released a top six of Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Oklahoma and Tennessee and was constantly on the road visiting those schools (went to Athens over 30 times). He committed to the Bulldogs in October 2020 and became the top-ranked recruit in head coach Kirby Smart’s 2021 class. After playing a reserve role as a true freshman, he entered the transfer portal in April 2022 and visited Florida State. However, Mims elected to remove his name from the portal after 10 days and return to Athens. Mims holds a 3.6 GPA at Georgia and is working toward his sports management degree. After three years with the program, Mims opted out of the 2023 bowl game and skipped his senior season to enter the 2024 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS) POSITION NOTES      
2021: (9/0)  Enrolled in January 2021; Entered the transfer portal after the 2021 season (removed his name after 10 days) 
2022: (14/2) RT    First two career starts came in the 2022 College Football Playoff
2023: (7/6) RT      Missed six games (left ankle); Missed bowl game (opted out) 
Total: (30/8) RT   

HT WT HAND ARM WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP    
COMBINE 6076 340 11 1/4 36 1/8 86 3/4 5.07 2.95 1.77 25 1/2 9’3” - - - (no shuttle, 3-cone, skills — rt hamstring) 
PRO DAY 6076 344 11 3/8 35 3/4 86 7/8 - - - - - - - - (no workout — right hamstring)

STRENGTHS: Exceptional size with evenly distributed mass on his tall, big-boned frame (body fat dropped from 25 percent when he enrolled to 17 percent as a junior) … has outstanding arm length and wingspan, making it tough to get around him … moves with impressive control for a 340-pounder … his feet and strike timing consistently stay on the same page … flashes power in his hands to latch, adjust and keep defenders at bay through engagement (Georgia defensive lineman Warren Brinson: “When he touches you, you feel it.”) … pass sets with a flat back and repeatable technique … leg drive can move interior linemen from the gap … plays with natural strength in his base and rarely finds himself inverted … appears comfortable in space, with the mobility to climb or reach outside landmarks in outside zone … wasn’t flagged for holding or a false start in college … NFL scouts say his football character is “more mature than expected” given his rare size and tools … his coaches say he cares about athletic development and body conditioning. 

WEAKNESSES: Only eight career starts, and his collegiate resume feels incomplete … prone to youthful habits when he drops his eyes and gets impatient … naturally high-hipped and can do a better job leveraging through engagement when fitting up run blocks … upright in pass protection … sets hard outside and needs to stay alert to inside counters … the depth of his pass sets need some fine-tuning … missed six games as a junior after suffering a left ankle injury (September 2023), which required tightrope surgery (also exited the 2023 SEC Championship Game early with an ankle injury) … practiced at left tackle but didn’t log any in-game snaps at left tackle or guard at Georgia. 

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Georgia, Mims manned the right tackle spot in offensive coordinator Mike Bobo’s balanced run scheme. Considered the prize of Kirby Smart’s 2021 recruiting class, he waited his turn and then missed half of the 2023 season because of injury once he became the full-time starter. Still, he played at a high level in his eight career starts (zero sacks allowed), especially against Ohio State in his first career start in the 2022 College Football Playoff. With his remarkable physique and trim build, Mims carries 340 pounds better than anyone I have ever seen and plays with outstanding balance and arm length in pass protection (Sedrick Van Pran: “You don’t need 1,000 reps when you have his gifts from God.”). Because of tightness in his lower body, he needs continued coaching for better sustain and leverage consistency in the run game, but he creates terrific extension with the play strength to control the point of attack. Overall, Mims isn’t as far along fundamentally (especially in the run game) as other tackles in the class, but he is a natural in pass protection with above-average length, footwork and body twitch to handle different types of edge rushers. Though there is projection involved with his draft grade, his best football is ahead of him, and he has the talent to become a long-term starter at left or right tackle. 

GRADE: 1st Round (No. 19 overall)

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Essex Johnson - 04-26-2024

(04-25-2024, 11:36 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Trent Brown isn't going to start the entire year... knowing that and hopefully Mims gets some development time I like the pick.

Yes I'm annoyed the Bengals for what seems the 3rd or 4th year a row not drafting a day 1 starter... but this guy has top 5 talent if there was more tape.

His exceptional play on the field in College makes him a day 1 starter, all college players have learning curves entering NFL but it is not like he only has played football for a short period or position as a tackle.. he played in like 28 games, Burrow actually only played in 38 games in college. Like Burrow he was stuck behind solid college starters.. What I like about him the more i read and think about it is he competed against SEC and the Georgia stud Dline for three years.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - THE PISTONS - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 10:57 AM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: 3-4 years not drafting a starter?

Having a guy learn for 1 year isn't bad.

Honestly, when Brown gets injured, people would be going crazy for us not drafting a younger T. Brown's injury history is pretty extensive.

Instead of worrying if this guy plays Year 1, I'd be more worried about if he develops into a good to above average+ player. I read that he only started 8 games at Tackle. That said, he didn't give up a sack and Georgia plays pretty elite competition, so I feel like it was the best possible pick they could have made.

That said, you never know with the draft.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - THE PISTONS - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 11:20 AM)jason Wrote: This is the best prospect that Pollack has had to develop... Put up or shut up time. After sleeping on it, I really like this pick (and I think trenches are boring).

Yeah. I meant we say it over and over...games are won in the trenches.

Here's a prospect for like 4th/5th Round that I like: Leonard Taylor from Miami at DT. I think this guy could develop into an Atkins type DT. Surprised he's going to fall to there.

Kam Kinchens at Safety too. Maybe 3rd or 4th Round.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - CottonHill - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 10:45 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Mims started the national championship game.

And people on here complained Burrow was a one year wonder without one single elite quality. You would be that guy.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Saban isn’t down talking the kid for no reason. He’s just saying what it is. And I doubt you know this, but he didn’t start the natty title game after the injury vs Alabama because they lost that game and it kept them out of the playoffs. He pulled himself and they lost.
Also Burrow had extensive injury to his wrist, he didn’t “bump” it. Mims apparently was fine after that game. He just didn’t feel like playing through it.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Lucius Cincinnatus - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 11:30 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Having a guy learn for 1 year isn't bad.

Honestly, when Brown gets injured, people would be going crazy for us not drafting a younger T. Brown's injury history is pretty extensive.

Instead of worrying if this guy plays Year 1, I'd be more worried about if he develops into a good to above average+ player. I read that he only started 8 games at Tackle. That said, he didn't give up a sack and Georgia plays pretty elite competition, so I feel like it was the best possible pick they could have made.

That said, you never know with the draft.

This is an interesting approach to me. In a vacuum, looking at the roster + the pick, I think it makes sense. Get a guy with tons of potential who can sit behind a pretty good vet RT for as long as needed. A move to secure the future and I like him as a player. 

However, on the other hand, with how they are handling Tee Higgins and now Hendrickson, seemingly uninterested in trading them and "going for it" this year one last time with the band together, you'd think you would want to draft a player you know can contribute right away. And add in taking a tackle that needs development and our track record of developing lineman..isn't great obviously. 

Though, on the flip side, this gives us one less need next year when we have to replace Higgins and/or Hendrickson.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - SunsetBengal - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 10:42 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Burrow took himself out when he bumped his wrist this year. Saban’s comments are bullshit. He knew Mims was coming back from tightrope surgery and re-injured the ankle. Just like Brock Bowers did.

You might as well have just wrote, “Roll tide” and I would have learned just as much with a lot less reading.

I wonder if he still wears his Nick Saban autographed footie pajamas?  Ninja

Just went on the NFL site and the Rd 1 grades were up. They gave us a "C" and gave Dallas an "A" after taking Guyton.... NFL.com

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 10:25 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Ok I’m moving on and hope the kid booms and somehow develops the stamina and retains health to play a whole season at some point. Still a lot of talent left on the board and I’ve liked our second rounders lately.
But after seeing the circle jerk in here and multiple guys sharing on Saban and Kirby it’s quite obvious the football knowledge is elementary at best. No problem just know that those ultra positive posts by the Nathan guy are trash. He keeps crapping on Latham, a guy who went 10 spots higher and he keeps on about Mims zero sacks. Well Latham gave up 2 in about 4x the snaps.
Also, a few post back the guy posted clarification from the Georgia side in regards to Sabans comments. They are even worse. Mims TOOK HIMSELF OUT after getting “bumped” on the ankle in a do or die game. Nice.
Finally, I said pass blocking was his weakness and he has a ways to go, well the same guy posted Kioers comments on Mims where he says his pass blocking is raw and a work in progress. It’s quite obvious in tape he blocks with his massive size in college. He will need more in the nfl

I had a lot of the same concerns, then I watched some film. He could be VERY good. Also, I believe Smart and his staff know just a little bit more about their own players than Nick does. That's not a knick on Saban, but that should be elementary. 

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 11:20 AM)jason Wrote: This is the best prospect that Pollack has had to develop... Put up or shut up time. After sleeping on it, I really like this pick (and I think trenches are boring).

Trenches are never boring sir. Cool

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Nepa - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 11:59 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Just went on the NFL site and the Rd 1 grades were up. They gave us a "C" and gave Dallas an "A" after taking Guyton.... NFL.com

yes, and USA Today gave a B- and CBS gave a B-.  The pick was the first one panned, after 17 picks, on ABC during the draft. But if Mims had played a full season, with the proficiency he showed in the 8 he did start, then any team selecting him would have been getting an A. We'll have to revisit the grading in two years.