Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Welcome Amarius Mims - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Welcome Amarius Mims (/Thread-Welcome-Amarius-Mims)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Luvnit2 - 04-26-2024

It amazes me how many draft experts we have in this forum. They know all. ZT and our FO don't know anything in their eyes.

i wanted Thomas or one of the CBs, but I respect the FO and Mims is a beast. Let's hope and pray he stays healthy and at the very least gives a great backup at OT in 2024.

But do not be surprised if he does start by the end of the year.

I am glad we built the trenches; teams win at the L.O.S. and we need to give Je time to throw the football.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Clark W Griswold - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 11:46 AM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: This is an interesting approach to me. In a vacuum, looking at the roster + the pick, I think it makes sense. Get a guy with tons of potential who can sit behind a pretty good vet RT for as long as needed. A move to secure the future and I like him as a player. 

However, on the other hand, with how they are handling Tee Higgins and now Hendrickson, seemingly uninterested in trading them and "going for it" this year one last time with the band together, you'd think you would want to draft a player you know can contribute right away. And add in taking a tackle that needs development and our track record of developing lineman..isn't great obviously. 

Though, on the flip side, this gives us one less need next year when we have to replace Higgins and/or Hendrickson.

And they already drafted Hendrickson’s replacement last year.
I like that Mims had no false starts or holding penalties called on him (if I remember that earlier post correctly).
His success or failure will be on the coaching staff because they could not ask for a guy with better natural talent to work with.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 12:05 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: And they already drafted Hendrickson’s replacement last year.  
I like that Mims had no false starts or holding penalties called on him (if I remember that earlier post correctly).
His success or failure will be on the coaching staff because they could not ask for a guy with better natural talent to work with.

.....or smarts. 

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 12:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It amazes me how many draft experts we have in this forum. They know all. ZT and our FO don't know anything in their eyes.

i wanted Thomas or one of the CBs, but I respect the FO and Mims is a beast. Let's hope and pray he stays healthy and at the very least gives a great backup at OT in 2024.

But do not be surprised if he does start by the end of the year.

I am glad we built the trenches; teams win at the L.O.S. and we need to give Je time to throw the football.

Hell, I'm a FSU nut, and obviously wanted Verse with the Hendrickson situation. Having said that, we've complained about this oline for how many years? Freaks of nature like this kid don't grow on trees. He's also highly intelligent and his tape looks pretty damn solid. The only knock is experience level from what I've learned. I think they'd have been nuts to pass on this potential.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 11:42 AM)CottonHill Wrote: You have no clue what you are talking about. Saban isn’t down talking the kid for no reason. He’s just saying what it is. And I doubt you know this, but he didn’t start the natty title game after the injury vs Alabama because they lost that game and it kept them out of the playoffs. He pulled himself and they lost.
Also Burrow had extensive injury to his wrist, he didn’t “bump” it. Mims apparently was fine after that game. He just didn’t feel like playing through it.

1) If Saban is saying he has no idea why he exited the game, that’s bullshit. The Alabama coaches were well aware of the ankle injury and tight rope surgery before the game. It was reported Mims reinjured the ankle during the game. And it was reported he reinjured the ankle after the game.

2) UGA won back to back national championships in 2021 and 2022. Mims started the national championship game in 2022. That national championship game was more important than the SEC championship vs. Alabama so once again Saban is talking shit.

3) Many people on here didn’t believe Burrow had a significant wrist injury from a pretty benign looking fall. You would know that if you spent any time around here.

4) I grew up in Ohio and am a lifelong Buckeyes fan. I’ve lived in Georgia off and on since 1991. My daughter goes to UGA. I just visited her on G Day and went to the spring game. But, I’m a casual Bulldog fan. I’m surrounded by Georgia, Alabama, and Auburn fans. Alabama fans are the most delusional and annoying by far. Poisoning trees, sexually assaulting other fans at fast food restaurants. Real (cl)ass.

As an Ohio State fan, I admit there are a lot of delusional and annoying Buckeye fans. But, Alabama fans make those Buckeye fans look like NASA scientists.

Roll Tide, Momma June.

PS UGA lost that game because the officials didn’t review an Alabama 4th down conversion that was an incompletion which allowed Alabama to keep the ball and score a touchdown which was the difference in the game. If the turnover on downs had been called correctly, UGA wins that game. I know you won’t admit it, but I know in your heart you know it it is true.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - PDub80 - 04-26-2024

Dear Crybabies... WTF?!

- Mims is a very high ceiling prospect at a position that ALL Bengals fans know needs to be much better. The Bengals have starters on the line already. NONE of these linemen would have come in and just automatically started save for Fuaga at LG (not a high value position, IMO. He's the same size as Volson, who is still a young player. Fuaga does NOT project to OT in the NFL). Mims is a FABULOUS OT prospect. MASSIVE, ULTRA ATHLETIC, PERFECT PHYSICAL PROFILE.

Educate yourself on his injuries and you'll find they were nothing but of the nagging type. He hasn't had major surgeries and, like, can't walk or run yet. He doesn't have physical composition injury issues that give long term concerns. He had common nagging injuries.

Mims isn't switching positions or should be labeled a project. He has no physical traits that are less than ideal (like short arms). His wingspan is as wide as Giannis is tall. That's AWESOME for an OT.

What was Jonah's #1 asset coming out of college? HE STUDES FILM. He's "cerebral". WTF is that?! At a position where being a monster and kicking ass is the job the Bengals FINALLY drafted a guy who's a monster that kicks asses. Not a guy with a notebook.

^ BTW, all of the reports on Mims is that he is a very smart player who diagnoses what defenses are trying to do, like stunts, incredibly well. I was SICK of watching Jonah, the film guru, get fooled by stunts or go the wrong way on plays.

If Mims had played his entire college season he would have been the 5th pick of the draft and the #1 OT. Bengals went high ceiling instead if safe avg and we should all be THRILLED.

- I understand the want of a corner to start opposite CTB.... They have a 2nd (Turner) & a 1st round CB (Hill) already there. A CB would have been a great pick, too. But there is a cliff after Mims in terms of size and talent in this draft.

- I understand the desire for a high pick on a DT. LOTS of DTs there to take through this draft that are very good. I don't see big value in taking one at 18.

Let this entire draft unfold as a body of work, see who goes where and to whom, and then maybe make your hell fire & brimstone predictions.

The draft is an exercise in the aggregate. Not a one and done deal.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 12:21 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Dear Crybabies... WTF?!

- Mims is a very high ceiling prospect at a position that ALL Bengals fans know needs to be much better. The Bengals have starters on the line already. NONE of these linemen would have come in and just automatically started save for Fuaga at LG (not a high value position, IMO. He's the same size as Volson, who is still a young player. Fuaga does NOT project to OT in the NFL). Mims is a FABULOUS OT prospect. MASSIVE, ULTRA ATHLETIC, PERFECT PHYSICAL PROFILE.

Educate yourself on his injuries and you'll find they were nothing but of the nagging type. He hasn't had major surgeries and, like, can't walk or run yet. He doesn't have physical composition injury issues that give long term concerns. He had common nagging injuries.

Mims isn't switching positions or should be labeled a project. He has no physical traits that are less than ideal (like short arms). His wingspan is as wide as Giannis is tall. That's AWESOME for an OT.

What was Jonah's #1 asset coming out of college? HE STUDES FILM. He's "cerebral". WTF is that?! At a position where being a monster and kicking ass is the job the Bengals FINALLY drafted a guy who's a monster that kicks asses. Not a guy with a notebook.

^ BTW, all of the reports on Mims is that he is a very smart player who diagnoses what defenses are trying to do, like stunts, incredibly well. I was SICK of watching Jonah, the film guru, get fooled by stunts or go the wrong way on plays.

If Mims had played his entire college season he would have been the 5th pick of the draft and the #1 OT. Bengals went high ceiling instead if safe avg and we should all be THRILLED.

- I understand the want of a corner to start opposite CTB.... They have a 2nd (Turner) & a 1st round CB (Hill) already there. A CB would have been a great pick, too. But there is a cliff after Mims in terms of size and talent in this draft.

- I understand the desire for a high pick on a DT. LOTS of DTs there to take through this draft that are very good. I don't see big value in taking one at 18.

Let this entire draft unfold as a body of work, see who goes where and to whom, and then maybe make your hell fire & brimstone predictions.

The draft is an exercise in the aggregate. Not a one and done deal.

And the Bengals may not be in a position to draft someone of Mims’ quality next year.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Millhouse - 04-26-2024

I'm still not the biggest fan of the pick, but that probably just comes from seeing who the Bengals have drafted at oline since Zeitler.

Oh well hope he bucks the trend for Burrow's and the rbs sake.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 04-26-2024

I took Mims in our mock. Over Latham & Fuaga & Murphy. So I obviously think it was the right pick.

Fuaga has shorter arms and some view him as a guard. Latham had a lot of penalties (which declined towards the end). Both guys played more, have tougher/meaner demeanors, and are better run blockers.

But Mims is a good run blocker, has the best traits & tape of the lot, and is the best pass blocker and diagnostician (is that a word?).

Plus, Latham, Fuaga, & Murphy were gone.

Mims is a top 10 talent with great tape, great smarts, & great traits. The only knock is the limited starts. But he started the 2022 title game. Clean game. No sacks, no penalties.

My hope is he & the Browns stick around for a while. Though keeping Trent will be tough.

This could be the end for Carman and/or Smith. If both go it frees up around $2.5 mil.

(04-26-2024, 12:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And the Bengals may not be in a position to draft someone of Mims’ quality next year.

Bengals FO has a lot on their plate as they look to improve the team short term, but also keep the potential SB rosters long term. 

You are spot on. We have Mims now to replace Brown in 2025 at a minimum. I think he helps us in 2024.

I would hope in short yardage and on the goal line (an issue for us in the past), we can bring in another 340 LB. OT to help push the LOS. 

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - 007BengalsFan - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 12:42 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: ...This could be the end for Carman and/or Smith. If both go it frees up around $2.5 mil...

It could be.  Carman is only useful on the left side of the line.  Mims is on the right so they could keep Carman.

(04-26-2024, 12:39 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I'm still not the biggest fan of the pick, but that probably just comes from seeing who the Bengals have drafted at oline since Zeitler.

Jonah never became an all pro, but he did start a ton of games for us at LT and then last year did a decent job switching to the right side. He also must not be that bad, he got a nice 2nd contract this year. 

The Bengals have drafted only 3 OL in the past 22 years with a top 20 pick. Mims became #4. 

Bengals First Round Draft Picks The Last 10 Years | StatMuse

Levi Jones -#10 in 2002
Andre Smith - #6 in 2009 
Jonah Williams - #11 in 2018

None were a bust.

Now, we have Mims at #18. Others drafted in round one was a couple at #21 and later.

Many look at Carman being a bust, but he was not a 1st round pick.

Time to trust Duke, ZT and our leaders to draft well.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - The D.O.Z. - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 12:42 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I took Mims in our mock. Over Latham & Fuaga & Murphy. So I obviously think it was the right pick.

Fuaga has shorter arms and some view him as a guard. Latham had a lot of penalties (which declined towards the end). Both guys played more, have tougher/meaner demeanors, and are better run blockers.

But Mims is a good run blocker, has the best traits & tape of the lot, and is the best pass blocker and diagnostician (is that a word?).

Plus, Latham, Fuaga, & Murphy were gone.

Mims is a top 10 talent with great tape, great smarts, & great traits. The only knock is the limited starts. But he started the 2022 title game. Clean game. No sacks, no penalties.

My hope is he & the Browns stick around for a while. Though keeping Trent will be tough.

This could be the end for Carman and/or Smith. If both go it frees up around $2.5 mil.
I don't see any way Charmin gets released. He's LT2 until they draft better. Smith, on the other hand, should be cut, as he hasn't done ANYTHING besides be hurt.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Okeana - 04-26-2024

One of my favorite offensive line evaluators is Voch Lombardi who played center in college and has been scouting guys for a long time on Youtube. He has an extremely high hit rate on guys he likes. He's also friends with Duke Manyweather who runs the best independent offensive line training program in the nation. Here is a quick video about Amarius

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Millhouse - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 12:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Jonah never became an all pro, but he did start a ton of games for us at LT and then last year did a decent job switching to the right side. He also must not be that bad, he got a nice 2nd contract this year. 

The Bengals have drafted only 3 OL in the past 22 years with a top 20 pick. Mims became #4. 

Bengals First Round Draft Picks The Last 10 Years | StatMuse

Levi Jones -#10 in 2002
Andre Smith - #6 in 2009 
Jonah Williams - #11 in 2018

None were a bust.

Now, we have Mims at #18. Others drafted in round one was a couple at #21 and later.

Many look at Carman being a bust, but he was not a 1st round pick.

Time to trust Duke, ZT and our leaders to draft well.

I said the linemen since Zeitler tho. This includes Cedric Ogbuehi, Jake Fisher, and Billy Price. And then all the project picks, one of which let a guy through that ended up shredding Burrows knee his rookie year.

If anyone wants to defend the Bengals track record on drafting olinemen in the last 10 years, knock yourselves out, I won't argue with ya. It isn't that deep with me anymore. 

But I don't get why so many people are up at arms against those that may not like the pick. At the end of the day I hope we all can at least agree that Mims pans out and becomes a perennial pro bowl/all pro player.

(04-26-2024, 01:02 PM)Okeana Wrote: One of my favorite offensive line evaluators is Voch Lombardi who played center in college and has been scouting guys for a long time on Youtube.  He has an extremely high hit rate on guys he likes.  He's also friends with Duke Manyweather who runs the best independent offensive line training program in the nation.  Here is a quick video about Amarius

Everyone needs to watch this 8 minute video. 

Positive Reps, great find.

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - coachmcneil71 - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 12:39 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I'm still not the biggest fan of the pick, but that probably just comes from seeing who the Bengals have drafted at oline since Zeitler.

This organization hasn't drafted and developed an OT since, Levi, Willie, and Whit. That is not good. This kid was drafted on potential, and he has little to zero experience blocking quality defensive lineman. This is a ho-hum pick out of NEED and has a high probability of backfiring. 

Seattle took Murphy and it sent the war room into a debate frenzy about who they should draft. This barely moves the needle if at all. 

It's shameful watching some of you gang up and bully other posters for calling this pick for exactly what it is. Be grateful that I chose to delete my post from last night and waited until today. The "homerism" last night was infuriating and laughable at the same time. 

It's something that JB is treated like God on here, yet he can't stay on the field. The only thing he has managed to do thus far is lose a SB and we already have two QBs that have done that before. Too many here continuously looking through black and orange lenses, so much so, that they can't see any other colors or the facts beating their face in. 

He's big. He has potential. That is all. He is nothing like the three names that I mentioned before. They had a body of work at the college level. Mims does not! Pray, knock on wood, do whatever it is that you need to do for luck. We're all going to need it with a 50/50 pick like this in the first. 

(04-26-2024, 01:06 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I said the linemen since Zeitler tho. This includes Cedric Ogbuehi, Jake Fisher, and Billy Price. And then all the project picks, one of which let a guy through that ended up shredding Burrows knee his rookie year.

If anyone wants to defend the Bengals track record on drafting olinemen in the last 10 years, knock yourselves out, I won't argue with ya. It isn't that deep with me anymore. 

But I don't get why so many people are up at arms against those that may not like the pick. At the end of the day I hope we all can at least agree that Mims pans out and becomes a perennial pro bowl/all pro player.

Again, I showed we have only drafted 3 OL in the top 20 in the past 22 years. Mims was number 4. The guys you mentioned were not a part of this ZT era and in the 20's. 

Would you agree once we get past the top 15 picks in most drafts, a lot of teams miss in round 1 and beyond. 

RE: Welcome Amarius Mims - Synric - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:16 PM)Synric Wrote:

I see some great OT's that did not play a lot of snaps. Why highlight Ced and Jonah, yet not mention JW was the highest ranked OL by all the experts.

Ced was a very bad pick. But why attempt to inflate a pick not made by the current FO and head coach?