Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Grade The Mims Pick! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Grade The Mims Pick! (/Thread-Grade-The-Mims-Pick)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Grade The Mims Pick! - BFritz21 - 04-26-2024

I've seen a bunch of discussion on the Mims pick but this thread is to see how everyone grades the pick, plain and simple.

I give the pick an A+.

He was the best tackle in the draft, IMCO, and only fell because of his lack of starts and that ankle injury, which appears to be a non-issue.

6'8, 340 lbs is something that you can't teach and is just a mammoth of a man.

I think that not having to start right away will also help his game improve and help him grow as a player.

My grade also comes from the stance of need in the draft and protecting Burrow should be our top priority, and I also think Mims has the most potential in the class.

I wanted Bowers because I thought he'd be an outlet that would help to protect Burrow and we could get a tackle later or Murphy, but Mims is who I wanted with those two gone.

Like I said, my grade is an A+, but please give your grade and an explanation (if you'd like).

I had to be up at 5:30 this morning to present to a school an hour away, so I just got home and had DoorDash deliver me Skyline, but I'll post more after I eat.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - ochocincos - 04-26-2024

I went B+.

The potential and the tape on the limited games is A. No doubt about it.
The only ding is only starting for 8 games due to not supplanting guys in front of him prior to 2023, and then getting dinged up with injuries that kept him from playing some of the season.
If he had 20+ starts, it'd have been an A, if not A+.

Anything in the B range means I like the pick.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - coachmcneil71 - 04-26-2024

How does one grade a pick that has never played a down in the NFL? At face value it's perhaps a D+ or a C-.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - jj22 - 04-26-2024

I gave it an A.

You could make the case for Fautanu, but Oline was the position to go. All options today would have had questions. So any argument to take another position would have forced our hopes to be in day 2 tackle with questions with a far lower ceiling.

Bowers, Murphy, Turner were gone. Corners were there but will be there today.

Thomas was the flash option, but wideouts are there today too.

So all other potential positions including DT are there today. Oline on the other hand is now one of the weakest position left.

Good thing we aren't needing one today.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - Luvnit2 - 04-26-2024

I think Mims is going to make those saying he is a "C" or worse look very stupid the next few years.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - TecmoBengals - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I went B+.

The potential and the tape on the limited games is A. No doubt about it.
The only ding is only starting for 8 games due to not supplanting guys in front of him prior to 2023, and then getting dinged up with injuries that kept him from playing some of the season.
If he had 20+ starts, it'd have been an A, if not A+.

Anything in the B range means I like the pick.

I should just delete my account and let ocho be my Bengals Board voice. Agreed, on all accounts.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - TecmoBengals - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:18 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: How does one grade a pick that has never played a down in the NFL? At face value it's perhaps a D+ or a C-.

Love ya dude, bit this is a get off my lawn post haha.

I get your point, but I don't want to wait for 4 seasons to grade the pick. 

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - BFritz21 - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think Mims is going to make those saying he is a "C" or worse look very stupid the next few years.

I can't wait for that and I get so excited about finally hitting on an offensive line pick.

Hoping Pollack can do his job (for once) and coach him up.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - ochocincos - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:18 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: How does one grade a pick that has never played a down in the NFL? At face value it's perhaps a D+ or a C-.

This isn't grading how well someone will be by the end of their career.
It's grading how well the pick was compared to the other draft options available.
If every player though is a C- or worse, adjust the bell curve.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:09 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've seen a bunch of discussion on the Mims pick but this thread is to see how everyone grades the pick, plain and simple.

I give the pick an A+.

He was the best tackle in the draft, IMCO, and only fell because of his lack of starts and that ankle injury, which appears to be a non-issue.

6'8, 340 lbs is something that you can't teach and is just a mammoth of a man.

I think that not having to start right away will also help his game improve and help him grow as a player.

My grade also comes from the stance of need in the draft and protecting Burrow should be our top priority, and I also think Mims has the most potential in the class.

I wanted Bowers because I thought he'd be an outlet that would help to protect Burrow and we could get a tackle later or Murphy, but Mims is who I wanted with those two gone.

Like I said, my grade is an A+, but please give your grade and an explanation (if you'd like).

I had to be up at 5:30 this morning to present to a school an hour away, so I just got home and had DoorDash deliver me Skyline, but I'll post more after I eat.

Went with an A, why not an A+? The lack of snaps is all. As far as upside there wasn't anyone close in my opinion. But Pollack 
makes me wonder if Mims is polished enough, the film says Mims is polished enough though. We will see, Mims was by far my 
favorite pick with Murphy off the board even if I liked Fautanu for us as well. Being a bit dinged up and lack of snaps are the
only things keeping this pick from being an A+ IMO.

I would of been sad if we passed on Mims, too excited to see him become a great player. We might never see a talent like this
again, as we will probably be picking at the end of the first for the foreseeable future. 6'8" 340 pound athletic freak with smarts
and great balance?

You just don't see this often at all at 18. I am happy we got Amarius Mims. The age of Amarius it is lol

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 04-26-2024

I went A.

I never though trading up was realistic, given we need reinforcements in more areas than we have top 115 picks (RT, NT, WR3, CB4 + DT, IOL, TE1, NT2, P, LB5, RB).

With what was left when we picked, he was an easy choice for me. The traits, tape, and smarts all scream top 10 pick. He played against the best competition. Neutralized Bama in the 2022 title game. Gave up zero sacks in his time at Georgia. No penalties last year. And diagnoses stunts well. Fantastic pass blocker. The only real knock was the few starts/snaps. But he is not raw, he is pretty refined despite the snaps issue. Murphy only played 1 year and no one was worried there.

Thomas made no sense to me unless a Tee trade was in the works, and that seemed unlikely. #18 is too rich for WR3.

Mitchell or Arnold or DeJean would have been OK with me. We lack a true CB1 and need another boundary corner. But I think protecting Joe should be priority #1. And great corners drop into the 20s more often than great tackles. And we have drafted a lot of CBs recently.

3T never made sense to me. We just paid Rankins in FA and have Hill. And Carter. The more pressing need is replacing Reader, not drafting another 3T. There were no worthy replacements at #18.

(04-26-2024, 01:41 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I went A.

I never though trading up was realistic, given we need reinforcements in more areas than we have top 115 picks (RT, NT, WR3, CB4 + DT, IOL, TE1, NT2, P, LB5, RB).

With what was left when we picked, he was an easy choice for me. The traits, tape, and smarts all scream top 10 pick. He played against the best competition. Neutralized Bama in the 2022 title game. Gave up zero sacks in his time at Georgia. No penalties last year. And diagnoses stunts well. Fantastic pass blocker. The only real knock was the few starts/snaps. But he is not raw, he is pretty refined despite the snaps issue. Murphy only played 1 year and no one was worried there.

Thomas made no sense to me unless a Tee trade was in the works, and that seemed unlikely. #18 is too rich for WR3.

Mitchell or Arnold or DeJean would have been OK with me. We lack a true CB1 and need another boundary corner. But I think protecting Joe should be priority #1. And great corners drop into the 20s more often than great tackles. And we have drafted a lot of CBs recently.

3T never made sense to me. We just paid Rankins in FA and have Hill. And Carter. The more pressing need is replacing Reader, not drafting another 3T. There were no worthy replacements at #18.

Fautanu, Newton and Thomas Jr were the only thoughts for me. Fautanu is really small compared to Mims and is older, Newton's foot
injury must be worse than most think as he is still on the board, Thomas Jr is not the most refined route runner etc.

Agree on Nickel Corner, we have Hilton and Dax Hill, boundary Corner is a bigger need. NT is a bigger need than 3-tech at the moment
but Rankins IS only on a 2 year deal and it is BJ's last year on his contract. Would not be against trading up for a talent like Newton as 
long as we get McKinnley Jackson/Sweat later.

IOL has to be on our thoughts, we need depth. A player like Beebe today or Tanor Bortolini would make me happy, love adding to the 
trenches, but a talented WR/TE/RB could also be on our thoughts.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-26-2024

I'm going to give it a B for now. There are only two reasons for that grade. A) the team's track record with oline is um.....well, we all know. B) The lack of game experience. If not for those two things, it'd be an A at least for me. I love the intangibles, I love the athleticism, and I love the limited tape. Let's revisit when we see him in action.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - CottonHill - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Went with an A, why not an A+? The lack of snaps is all. As far as upside there wasn't anyone close in my opinion. But Pollack 
makes me wonder if Mims is polished enough, the film says Mims is polished enough though. We will see, Mims was by far my 
favorite pick with Murphy off the board even if I liked Fautanu for us as well. Being a bit dinged up and lack of snaps are the

I would of been sad if we passed on Mims, too excited to see him become a great player. We might never see a talent like this
again, as we will probably be picking at the end of the first for the foreseeable future. 6'8" 340 pound athletic freak with smarts
and great balance?

You just don't see this often at all at 18. I am happy we got Amarius Mims. The age of Amarius it is lol

This where you need to chill. Just two years ago Trevor Penning went 18th overall. Besides about 20 pounds and longer arms, Penning is a comparable, athlete and actually faster, stronger and a better jumper. And of course, he has injury issues and has been a non factor. 

(04-26-2024, 01:59 PM)CottonHill Wrote: This where you need to chill. Just two years ago Trevor Penning went 18th overall. Besides about 20 pounds and longer arms, Penning is a comparable, athlete and actually faster, stronger and a better jumper. And of course, he has injury issues and has been a non factor. 

Eh, nah, I never even liked Penning. I don't need to chill, I love the Mims pick, if you don't that is cool CottonHill.

What do you grade the Mims pick?

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - masonbengals fan - 04-26-2024

I had to go A.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - coachmcneil71 - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:26 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Love ya dude, bit this is a get off my lawn post haha.

I get your point, but I don't want to wait for 4 seasons to grade the pick. 

I'm not pissed about the pick. We all know what the teams' needs are. It is a pick out of need. Ts, it doesn't even move the needle for me. Obviously, fingers crossed that it works out. I'm just not going to go all he's the best thing since sliced bread when he barely has a body of work. 

Pick out of need and we all need it to work out. Hope it does. 

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - QueenCity - 04-26-2024

I went with a solid B

Had a feeling we'd go with him if they didn't trade up.... remember watching a video where Pollack was gushing over Mims.

Obviously you'd like a bigger sample size but I do like the fact he's going to be around two similar size players to learn from.

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - Nepa - 04-26-2024

(04-26-2024, 01:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Went with an A, why not an A+? The lack of snaps is all. As far as upside there wasn't anyone close in my opinion. But Pollack 

and great balance?

If Mims hits, and becomes a probowl/all-pro, I'll have to give you major kudos. More than anyone, you've been banging the drum for him for a few weeks now. Definitely moved me from skeptical to enthusiastic. Of course, if he doesn't .....

RE: Grade The Mims Pick! - DesertBengal - 04-26-2024

I voted B.

Given the board at the time it’s not the pick I would have made… Not because I don’t think he is a good prospect with an incredibly high ceiling. It’s a pick that just scares me. The past OL drafting failures has given me PTSD when it comes to drafting boom/bust or developmental OL prospects.