Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: { All Things Biden & Trump } (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-All-Things-Biden-Trump)
+---- Thread: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry (/Thread-Trump-s-Plans-for-the-Oil-Industry)

Pages: 1 2 3

Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Stewy - 05-09-2024

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Trump-Seeks-1-Billion-From-Big-Oil-as-He-Vows-to-Reverse-Biden-Climate-Rules.html

(original article - https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/05/09/trump-oil-industry-campaign-money/ )

Interestingly article. My question is, what happens to those promises if the industry doesn't give him a billion dollars.

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - pally - 05-09-2024

(05-09-2024, 02:16 PM)Stewy Wrote: https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Trump-Seeks-1-Billion-From-Big-Oil-as-He-Vows-to-Reverse-Biden-Climate-Rules.html

(original article - https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/05/09/trump-oil-industry-campaign-money/ )

Interestingly article. My question is, what happens to those promises if the industry doesn't give him a billion dollars.

no pay no play

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - NATI BENGALS - 05-09-2024

Well his go to answer when asked how he would solve inflation is “drill baby drill”. He has no other ideas.

But the fact we are producing more oil and gas than ever before and still have high inflation makes me doubt his plan.

I have no doubt the guy who made an oil executive his first Secretary of State will do plenty of favors for big oil. This is also the guy who was all about beautiful clean coal.

We have the technology to go to renewables. But I have no doubt this guy would move us backwards when it comes to doing what’s best for the planet.

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - BigPapaKain - 05-10-2024

Outright selling laws and breaks now.

Points for putting out in the open, I guess.

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Dill - 05-12-2024

(05-10-2024, 05:30 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Outright selling laws and breaks now.

Points for putting out in the open, I guess.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/The-Oil-Industry-Is-Preparing-Executive-Orders-for-Trump.html

There is no end to what we can accomplish as a nation when government and business work together! 

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Mike M (the other one) - 05-12-2024

(05-12-2024, 11:52 AM)Dill Wrote: https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/The-Oil-Industry-Is-Preparing-Executive-Orders-for-Trump.html

There is no end to what we can accomplish as a nation when government and business work together! 

Poor Biden, maybe if he didn't wait til his term was almost over to listen to Lawyers all around the US that have been busy writing EO's for him on Immigration he wouldn't be in this situation. Lessons to be learned for sure.

Sorry but i'd rather have cheap gas, than 7 $1B EV Charging stations.

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - JustWinBaby - 05-12-2024

(05-12-2024, 11:52 AM)Dill Wrote: There is no end to what we can accomplish as a nation when government and business work together! 

Were you under the impression that industry experts - a.k.a. "lobbyists" - don't frequently have an active role in crafting legislation?  Probably goes without saying you wouldn't view that role as necessary or value-added.  I mean, the ivy league law students crafting legislation with little-to-no industry knowledge or real world experience would obviously do better without the meddling of greedy corporations.

But, yeah, what this article really says is Trump lacks the policy knowledge if he were even inclined to have policies.  And that comes as no surprise to about half the electorate.

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Mike M (the other one) - 05-12-2024

(05-12-2024, 04:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Were you under the impression that industry experts - a.k.a. "lobbyists" - don't frequently have an active role in crafting legislation?  Probably goes without saying you wouldn't view that role as necessary or value-added.  I mean, the ivy league law students crafting legislation with little-to-no industry knowledge or real world experience would obviously do better without the meddling of greedy corporations.

But, yeah, what this article really says is Trump lacks the policy knowledge if he were even inclined to have policies.  And that comes as no surprise to about half the electorate.

Authoritarians listen to NO ONE but themselves and only look out for themselves, haven't you learned the lesson they are teaching you?  Ninja

(05-12-2024, 05:06 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Authoritarians listen to NO ONE but themselves and only look out for themselves, haven't you learned the lesson they are teaching you?  Ninja

I think authoritarians listen to people who agree with them or can help further their aims.

But what's the alternative view of authoritarians?  Just curious.

(05-12-2024, 04:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Were you under the impression that industry experts - a.k.a. "lobbyists" - don't frequently have an active role in crafting legislation?  Probably goes without saying you wouldn't view that role as necessary or value-added.  I mean, the ivy league law students crafting legislation with little-to-no industry knowledge or real world experience would obviously do better without the meddling of greedy corporations.

I'm under the impression that "industry experts" may not have the public interest at heart while crafting "necessary or value added" legislation

--regardless of whom for.

And it's "the other half of the electorate" that's less likely to notice any divergence, or even welcome it, right? 

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - pally - 05-13-2024

This is the epitome of the “swamp” he promised to drain. I guess he forgot to tell us step 2 was to refill it with his swamp creatures

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Mike M (the other one) - 05-13-2024

(05-12-2024, 07:51 PM)Dill Wrote: I think authoritarians listen to people who agree with them or can help further their aims.

But what's the alternative view of authoritarians?  Just curious.

Who cares? We aren't an Authoritarian country, and Trump is not an Authoritarian Leader.

I'd prefer a Democracy where people actually work together and compromise but it's not happening with EITHER of these two parties at this time nor do i have much faith in either in the future.

Do you see that happening anytime soon? 

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - GMDino - 05-13-2024

(05-13-2024, 08:42 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Who cares? We aren't an Authoritarian country, and Trump is not an Authoritarian Leader.

I'd prefer a Democracy where people actually work together and compromise but it's not happening with EITHER of these two parties at this time nor do i have much faith in either in the future.

A lot of people care that the guy running for office is openly asking for bribes.  Obviously you don't.

Now I agree that Trump alone can't do everything he says he will do...though he will try.

I also will add that Trump is known throughout his "career" for going back on promises and screwing people...literally and figuratively.

But when there was bipartisan bills and both sides worked together the gop wouldn't even vote on on it and you and the the other conservatives/republicans said "good" the bill wasn't clean enough.  And when some republicans did vote for the infrastructure bill the other ones whines about it then wen back and bragged about the money being spent in their districts.

So what do you really want?

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Dill - 05-13-2024

(05-13-2024, 08:42 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Who cares? We aren't an Authoritarian country, and Trump is not an Authoritarian Leader.

I don't see that happening soon if a plurality of Americans cannot recognize an authoritarian leader when they see one. 

If you prefer a democracy where people work together and compromise, then you should be very disturbed
when the leader of one party attempts to overthrow a valid election and promises vengeance, arrests, and
jail for those who have attempted to hold him accountable--classic authoritarian behavior. 

The same currently out office leader still exerts great control over the House of Representatives, blocking legislation 
proposed by the other side because of his direct control of his party.

Not sure what an "authoritarian country" is. Do you mean one with an authoritarian system of government? That could include a
range of types from Orban's "illiberal democracy" to Kim's North Korea.  The US is not that yet,
but it cannot remain a liberal democracy if enough of the population want a leader above the law. 

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Mike M (the other one) - 05-13-2024

(05-13-2024, 12:12 PM)Dill Wrote: I don't see that happening soon if a plurality of Americans cannot recognize an authoritarian leader when they see one. 

If you prefer a democracy where people work together and compromise, then you should be very disturbed
when the leader of one party attempts to overthrow a valid election and promises vengeance, arrests, and
jail for those who have attempted to hold him accountable--classic authoritarian behavior. 

The same currently out office leader still exerts great control over the House of Representatives, blocking legislation 
proposed by the other side because of his direct control of his party.

Not sure what an "authoritarian country" is. Do you mean one with an authoritarian system of government? That could include a
range of types from Orban's "illiberal democracy" to Kim's North Korea.  The US is not that yet,
but it cannot remain a liberal democracy if enough of the population want a leader above the law. 

Whatever dude. If just because he has some Authoritarian tendencies doesn't make him an Authoritarian. 
That's like saying if a guy kisses another guy, he is a homosexual? You are trying hard to skip steps. US cannot and never will have an Authoritarian in charge with out a major event and it aint happening in Trumps lifetime no matter what the media tells you.

I am disturbed, but not only at the Right I am pissed at the Left as well, both sides are pushing extremist Politics over the people want.  Neither side is willing to allow for a common sense middle ground.

LOL not there "YET", there you go again, just stop with the fear tactics. For a guy that's so smart, you seem to catch on quick when the Right uses fear tactics and propaganda, but so blind to the Left's why is that? I might miss a few or simply ignore them, but I do my best to not repeat the bs part. 

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - hollodero - 05-14-2024

(05-13-2024, 11:06 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Whatever dude. If just because he has some Authoritarian tendencies doesn't make him an Authoritarian. 
That's like saying if a guy kisses another guy, he is a homosexual? 

And what you say kinda sounds like stating that a person with murderous phantasies isn't necessarily a murderer. Which is technically true, but also one would probably rather not leave his child with that person. So why leave the country to the guy with autoritarian phantasies. That's how all authoritarians start, as people with such tendencies, it's kind of what makes them become actual authoritarians.

(05-13-2024, 11:06 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: LOL not there "YET", there you go again, just stop with the fear tactics. For a guy that's so smart, you seem to catch on quick when the Right uses fear tactics and propaganda, but so blind to the Left's why is that? I might miss a few or simply ignore them, but I do my best to not repeat the bs part. 

Here's where imho the logical problem with this argument lies. Just because fears and worries get instrumentalized for tactics and propaganda does not mean that they are therefore insubstantial to begin with. That is not true for climate change as much as probably for some more right-wing issues like immigration. Just because the media at times quite exaggerates aspects of the problem (like all the alleged caravans and whatnot) does not negate the problem. And with Trump, there is substance behind the fears. He indeed tries to overturn elections, calls for negating the constitution in doing so, he indeed lets his lawyers argue that a president should have total immunity and hence should be able to order the killing of political opponents, he indeed wants to jail people in revenge and deems loyalty to him as more impartant as loyalty to the country, Trump indeed loves Kim and calls guys like him great and smart and is full of admiration, and so on and so on. That has nothing to do with the media or fear tactics. That's just what is, and what many people just accept or even endorse. You can't negate that.

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Dill - 05-14-2024

(05-13-2024, 11:06 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote:  Whatever dude. If just because he has some Authoritarian tendencies doesn't make him an Authoritarian. 
That's like saying if a guy kisses another guy, he is a homosexual? You are trying hard to skip steps. US cannot and never will have an Authoritarian in charge with out a major event and it aint happening in Trumps lifetime no matter what the media tells you.

Well the bolded is open for discussion, isn't it?  A guy who humiliates subordinates, describes immigrants in dehumanizing language, demands flattery, unnecessarily (and against tradition) sped up executions his last months in office, constantly violated rule of law to stay in power when he was president--up to actually attempting a coup--and now vows vengeance on his enemies--how does all that amount to no more than "tendencies"?  

You seem to argue the US just can't ever have an Authoritarian in charge, so if Trump is elected it will mean he is not an authoritarian, regardless of his behavior.  The mass of voters ready elect Trump clearly includes people either blind to the authoritarian behavior or ready to endorse it. 

Whyever would you suppose I rely on "the media" to judge this? As a close reader of both Plato and Aristotle, I can readily see in Trump's behavior their description of the rising tyrants which cursed early Greek democracies--e.g., both authors agree they arise from "the people" to attack a perceived elite, presenting themselves as heroes of the Demos, initially promising them all manner of politic gifts, including revenge, and asking for ever more power to "protect" the people, first against internal, then external enemies. They do not tolerate others with exceptional talents for leadership or advice, choosing flatterers and what we call "yes-men" for advisors rather than those who speak truth to power, punishing resistance wherever they encounter it, and savoring public humiliation of subordinates. That's just the first stage. When I see a ring of Cabinet Secretaries and staff take turns telling the Dear Leader how much they appreciate the chance to serve him, or "manly" Republican men who have suffered egregious personal insults flocking to Mar a Lago to win back approval, or a poll which shows over 55 million believe the leader if he says the election was rigged, I don't need "the media" to explain what is happening. 

This is a very old pattern, but also much studied in 20th century history, where more indicators have been added--anti-feminism, party trust in a Dear Leader, who speaks of purging "poison" from the body politic, sows distrust of free press, the courts, and government via an electronic propaganda campaign to whip up division and constitutional crisis which only he can resolve.  Now the rise of authoritarianism is a global 21st century concern, as so many democracies are experiencing what political scientists call "autocratization" or democratic backsliding. Notice on the Economist' map below how the US has already taken a step down from "full" to "flawed" democracy.

My concern is not necessarily that an authoritarian will "take over" permanently and change our form of government, though that is certainly possible. My more immediate fear is that the US will elect an authoritarian and his behavior will precipitate a constitutional/democratic crisis which could dwarf the turmoil of the '60s. And it's not clear what shape our institutions might have after that. All at a time when an autocratic Russia and China are challenging the liberal world order the US has underwritten since 1945.

[Image: 1*XgBeN5ghM7IWJgNxs84kZw.png]

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Dill - 05-14-2024

(05-13-2024, 11:06 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I am disturbed, but not only at the Right I am pissed at the Left as well, both sides are pushing extremist Politics over the people want.  Neither side is willing to allow for a common sense middle ground.

I just don't follow this. "The left" has not sought to undermine the free press and our courts, nor has any "leftist" leader sought to overturn valid elections.

Did Biden or Obama, out of office, have the power or inclination to direct House votes and block legislation with cronies powerful enough to kick people off committees?
Did either call House opponents "savages"?  

10s of millions of people now believe the last election was rigged and Biden has "weaponized" the free press, nevermind that Trump tried to rig the election and use the DOJ to go after enemies.  

"Both sides" are not doing this. What you call the left IS the "common sense" middle ground, or what used to be that.

(05-13-2024, 11:06 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: LOL not there "YET", there you go again, just stop with the fear tactics. For a guy that's so smart, you seem to catch on quick when the Right uses fear tactics and propaganda, but so blind to the Left's why is that? I might miss a few or simply ignore them, but I do my best to not repeat the bs part. 

My previous post rattles off verified Trump behaviors predictive of autocratic leaders. How does that signal MY blindness. 

If that were merely a "tactic," you could easily dispute it by proving that Trump does not undermine the free press and our judiciary and legal process in his daily speech, and did not really call Georgia's secretary to state and press him to find more votes, or want to seize voting machines, or send a mob to the Capitol to "peacefully" take back their country, and then, as Commander in chief, watch approvingly for two hours as they ransacked it and chased Congress out of session. You could prove he has never praised and admired dictators, living and dead.  Or you could list evidence of Biden's many authoritarian traits and absolute party control to establish your "both sides" thesis. 

Or you could prove there is no history of autocratic leaders providing us with spot on warning signs relevant to the Trump case.

You could, that is, if what I am saying is only a "fear tactic," with no ground in reality.  Otherwise, you cannot, and the fear you fear is quite reasonable.

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Mike M (the other one) - 05-14-2024

(05-14-2024, 12:19 AM)hollodero Wrote: And what you say kinda sounds like stating that a person with murderous phantasies isn't necessarily a murderer. Which is technically true, but also one would probably rather not leave his child with that person. So why leave the country to the guy with autoritarian phantasies. That's how all authoritarians start, as people with such tendencies, it's kind of what makes them become actual authoritarians.

? Everyone has fantasies, so does that mean no one should be alone with anyone? 

(05-14-2024, 12:19 AM)hollodero Wrote: Here's where imho the logical problem with this argument lies. Just because fears and worries get instrumentalized for tactics and propaganda does not mean that they are therefore insubstantial to begin with. That is not true for climate change as much as probably for some more right-wing issues like immigration. Just because the media at times quite exaggerates aspects of the problem (like all the alleged caravans and whatnot) does not negate the problem. And with Trump, there is substance behind the fears. He indeed tries to overturn elections, calls for negating the constitution in doing so, he indeed lets his lawyers argue that a president should have total immunity and hence should be able to order the killing of political opponents, he indeed wants to jail people in revenge and deems loyalty to him as more impartant as loyalty to the country, Trump indeed loves Kim and calls guys like him great and smart and is full of admiration, and so on and so on. That has nothing to do with the media or fear tactics. That's just what is, and what many people just accept or even endorse. You can't negate that.

To predictable, i knew someone was going to bring up Climate change. 
Really, you think the world as we know it is going to end and humans will become extinct in the next 12 years? 
That's fear mongering if i ever heard it, it's as stupid as saying Trump will turn the US into an Authoritarian state. 

If Trump wins, which do you think is more likely to happen? 
He doesn't live long enough to finish his term or he converts the US into an Authoritarian state? 

Be realistic about it. 

Shutting down the press is exactly what Biden has been doing. OFC you don't see it as a problem.

Killing political opponents? 
Obama led the way to killing USC's with out a fair trial. 

Press under attack?
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/images/press/Censorship%20Lawsuit%20Order%20Denying%20Dismissal.pdf

https://ago.mo.gov/wp-content/uploads/212-3-proposed-findings-of-fact.pdf

https://www.reuters.com/legal/judge-blocks-us-officials-communicating-with-social-media-companies-newspaper-2023-07-04/

Well if admiring Kim and Putin keep them from causing troubles on the world stage then maybe it's worth the little ass kissing. But that's not all that happened, Trump has put more sanctions on Russia that Biden has.  You have to admit Trump was more unpredictable than Biden on the world stage.

I really think North Korea just wants to be recognized as a national power. The majority of the things they do seems like a child wanting attention to me. And like a child that only gets negative attention, they will keep acting out. 
I'm not a fan of how we deal with them politically anyways. 

RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Mike M (the other one) - 05-14-2024

(05-14-2024, 01:42 AM)Dill Wrote: My previous post rattles off verified Trump behaviors predictive of autocratic leaders. How does that signal MY blindness. 

You are too easily triggered by DTS. 

Do you honestly believe the US will become an Authoritarian government under Trump?