Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
WR Carousel - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: WR Carousel (/Thread-WR-Carousel)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

WR Carousel - NATI BENGALS - 05-29-2024

Should we start one? The WR contracts are getting insane. If they don't accept something reasonable we might not ever get a deal done with Tee or Chase with the way the WR payscale is just exploding.

Chase and Tee wouldn't like it. But we could tag Tee again next year and Chase will be on his 5th year option. The following year 2026 tag Chase and Tee ends up leaving, hopefully Yoshi steps up and has a big year but he would probably end up leaving because we would tag Chase again in 27. Then maybe it's time to tag Burton in 28.

At least we are usually good at drafting WRs. We would have to continue using early round picks on WRs and using the franchise tag when we hit.

RE: WR Carousel - Go Cards - 05-29-2024

(05-29-2024, 03:52 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Should we start one? The WR contracts are getting insane. If they don't accept something reasonable we might not ever get a deal done with Tee or Chase with the way the WR payscale is just exploding.

Chase and Tee wouldn't like it. But we could tag Tee again next year and Chase will be on his 5th year option. The following year 2026 tag Chase and Tee ends up leaving, hopefully Yoshi steps up and has a big year but he would probably end up leaving because we would tag Chase again in 27. Then maybe it's time to tag Burton in 28.

At least we are usually good at drafting WRs. We would have to continue using early round picks on WRs and using the franchise tag when we hit.

This is very true, they would not be happy. 

RE: WR Carousel - FormerlyBengalRugby - 05-29-2024

(05-29-2024, 03:52 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Should we start one? The WR contracts are getting insane. If they don't accept something reasonable we might not ever get a deal done with Tee or Chase with the way the WR payscale is just exploding.

I think that is exactly what will be behind Chase once Tee is gone, unless they sneak in a Housh or Tyler Boyd type of deal on a still rising prospect. Still on the upward arc, but not near their potential yet.

I would be happy with a top 4 WR and a top TE, and a rotating door of rookie contracts behind them.

But they need that TE safety blanket.

RE: WR Carousel - HarleyDog - 05-29-2024

(05-29-2024, 08:04 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: I think that is exactly what will be behind Chase once Tee is gone, unless they sneak in a Housh or Tyler Boyd type of deal on a still rising prospect. Still on the upward arc, but not near their potential yet.

I would be happy with a top 4 WR and a top TE, and a rotating door of rookie contracts behind them.

But they need that TE safety blanket.

I don't know if we can afford to let Chase go. I've never been that high on Tee. He's good, but inconsistant so letting him go wouldn't make me lose any sleep. Chase on the other hand?  The rapport with Burrow and the talent he possesses, along with his speed are paramount to this team. You eat the salary on that one.

RE: WR Carousel - 2MinutesHate - 05-29-2024

I think we're already overpaying Tee a little bit for this year. I would rather just keep Chase and draft WR2 & WR3 when we need them. If you're spending a fortune on Burrow, you're going to have to settle for less other places. Don't skimp on the OL and replace the WR's and RB's after they get 4-5 years on them. It seems like a lot of times, that's when they're not worth much anymore after that. Use them for their young legs while they've got them.

I mean, if we're spending 55-60 million on Chase and Higgins, what the hell do we need Burrow for? Just put Jake Browing in.
Ya, I don't much care for that option either. I think eventually, the WR position will become what the RB position has. Plug and play with a few exceptions for the really great ones.

RE: WR Carousel - HarleyDog - 05-29-2024

(05-29-2024, 11:45 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think we're already overpaying Tee a little bit for this year.  I would rather just keep Chase and draft WR2 & WR3 when we need them.  If you're spending a fortune on Burrow, you're going to have to settle for less other places.  Don't skimp on the OL and replace the WR's and RB's after they get 4-5 years on them.  It seems like a lot of times, that's when they're not worth much anymore after that.  Use them for their young legs while they've got them.  

I mean, if we're spending 55-60 million on Chase and Higgins, what the hell do we need Burrow for?  Just put Jake Browing in.
Ya, I don't much care for that option either.  I think eventually, the WR position will become what the RB position has.  Plug and play with a few exceptions for the really great ones.

Yep. RB's used to make a fortune. Now, not so much. I think much of the league however has leaned toward the passing game in favor of running. Regarding money, QB's, WR's, Corners, Safieties and DB's are probably your highest-paid players. We have to be careful in the WR arena. Like I said, I'm cool with letting Tee go. But we don't want to become another KC. MaHommes struggled in some games with his guys' dropped passes and poor routes. I think KC felt like as long as they had MaHommes, he could hit any WR. Just can't make them catch. 

RE: WR Carousel - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-29-2024

Chase is going nowhere.

RE: WR Carousel - FormerlyBengalRugby - 05-29-2024

(05-29-2024, 09:27 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don't know if we can afford to let Chase go. I've never been that high on Tee. He's good, but inconsistant so letting him go wouldn't make me lose any sleep. Chase on the other hand?  The rapport with Burrow and the talent he possesses, along with his speed are paramount to this team. You eat the salary on that one.

I agree, maybe I was unclear or misunderstood your post?

I am all about the team keeping Chase and a good receiving TE, and having the other components at WR, TE, and RB being rotating doors of rookie contracts.

RE: WR Carousel - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-29-2024

Pay Ja'Marr Chase, he deserves to be paid like a top 5 WR and we can afford him. Keep Chase here and the rest can be a carousel and
we should be more than fine. I don't see us tagging Tee twice either, expect him to leave for nothing after this year. All we can hope is 
that Tee has a great year and finally stays healthy in doing so and we win the Super Bowl before he leaves.

RE: WR Carousel - Joelist - 05-29-2024

The nice thing about the current WR room is that it is a high end top (Chase and Tee) and the floor is pretty decent too (Yoshi, Sizzle). Chase will be extended and Tee will leave (with whichever of Burton or Yoshi taking the spot) and we'll backfill the last spot with hopefully another good pick.

RE: WR Carousel - Mgbrown66 - 05-29-2024

I think the Bengals will pay Chase. He demands double teams, and makes it easier for the QB to decipher the defense.

RE: WR Carousel - Housh - 05-29-2024

Chase is here

35M will be the price

Nothing we can do about it

RE: WR Carousel - NATI BENGALS - 05-29-2024

(05-29-2024, 06:04 PM)Housh Wrote: Chase is here

35M will be the price

Nothing we can do about it

Not pay. Use the NFL and players union contract to retain their services as long as we can. Then move on.

$350,000 per catch if he has a 100 catch season. Six catches a game. That is bonkers.

Sure seems like the college game is started to churn out a lot of good WRs.

Andy Reid and the chiefs GM Veach have been building some damn good teams in recent years. I notice they are not handing out any of these bloated WR contracts.

RE: WR Carousel - phil413 - 05-29-2024

(05-29-2024, 06:38 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Not pay. Use the NFL and players union contract to retain their services as long as we can. Then move on.

$350,000 per catch if he has a 100 catch season. Six catches a game. That is bonkers.

Andy Reid and the chiefs GM Veach have been building some damn good teams in recent years. I notice they are not handing out any of these bloated WR contracts
Burrow is the best thing that has happened to Cincy since the play before Kimo tore up Palmer's leg. They were lucky to land his a superstar WR in Chase with day 1 chemistry.  These 2 are going to be paid top money for years and Cincy is going to have to pay it.  It will be a dark day if they let Chase walk. 

RE: WR Carousel - Go Cards - 05-30-2024

(05-29-2024, 11:45 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think we're already overpaying Tee a little bit for this year.  I would rather just keep Chase and draft WR2 & WR3 when we need them.  If you're spending a fortune on Burrow, you're going to have to settle for less other places.  Don't skimp on the OL and replace the WR's and RB's after they get 4-5 years on them.  It seems like a lot of times, that's when they're not worth much anymore after that.  Use them for their young legs while they've got them.  

I mean, if we're spending 55-60 million on Chase and Higgins, what the hell do we need Burrow for?  Just put Jake Browing in.
Ya, I don't much care for that option either.  I think eventually, the WR position will become what the RB position has.  Plug and play with a few exceptions for the really great ones.

Agree

WR Carousel - Bronxbengal - 05-30-2024

The front office of the Bengal is creating their own problem by not talking with the agents and working on getting a deal done. The longer they wait the price tag is going up.

With that being said, if the Bengals have a top offensive line do we really need elite WRs and would a lower cost option at receiver is the better option? Burrow is getting paid well and he should be able to win without two or even one elite wide receivers. Let the bashing begin in my comments

RE: WR Carousel - Truck_1_0_1_ - 05-30-2024

(05-30-2024, 08:41 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: The front office of the Bengal is creating their own problem by not talking with the agents and working on getting a deal done. The longer they wait the price tag is going up.

With that being said, if the Bengals have a top offensive line do we really need elite WRs and would a lower cost option at receiver is the better option? Burrow is getting paid well and he should be able to win without two or even one elite wide receivers. Let the bashing begin in my comments

The things people believe is just madness...

RE: WR Carousel - Whatever - 05-30-2024

(05-29-2024, 06:38 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Not pay. Use the NFL and players union contract to retain their services as long as we can. Then move on.

Andy Reid and the chiefs GM Veach have been building some damn good teams in recent years. I notice they are not handing out any of these bloated WR contracts.

Folks want to point to KC, but no other team has Andy Reid and the greatest receiving TE of all time.  And they paid Cheetah for years, getting one of their two rings with him.

Chase is a stud and should be paid.  Everything else aside, he's a guy who's proven in big games he can just put this team on his back and carry them.  I'm 100% good with relying on draft picks for WR2-3. However, that means we're going to have to consistently spend premium draft capital there year after year.  If there's one thing this board hates, it's drafting WR's early.

RE: WR Carousel - SunsetBengal - 05-30-2024

(05-30-2024, 12:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: Folks want to point to KC, but no other team has Andy Reid and the greatest receiving TE of all time.  And they paid Cheetah for years, getting one of their two rings with him.

Chase is a stud and should be paid.  Everything else aside, he's a guy who's proven in big games he can just put this team on his back and carry them.  I'm 100% good with relying on draft picks for WR2-3. However, that means we're going to have to consistently spend premium draft capital there year after year.  If there's one thing this board hates, it's drafting WR's early.

Not really, they just drafted a promising young prospect in the 3rd round, and have a pair of later round picks from last year that look to be making steps toward seeing more playing time this year.

RE: WR Carousel - Synric - 05-30-2024

(05-30-2024, 01:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not really, they just drafted a promising young prospect in the 3rd round, and have a pair of later round picks from last year that look to be making steps toward seeing more playing time this year.

The way the Bengals prioritize pass catchers we can expect them to continue to invest at that those positions. I would love to see a James White, Danny Woodhead, or Kevin Faulk type RB in Cincy.