Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
How about AJ McCarron - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: How about AJ McCarron (/Thread-How-about-AJ-McCarron)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: How about AJ McCarron - Essex Johnson - 01-11-2016

(01-11-2016, 09:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Backups are a dime a dozen if you have a defense that plays like the Bengals did in 2015 and have enough talent surrounding him. The two games McCarron won, he threw for 192 yards and 160 yards. A backup didn't need to do much for the Bengals to win. The Bengals D allowed about 6 points per game less than the Dallas D and had 28 takeaways to Dallas' league-worst 11 takeaways.

Not to mention Dalton has only missed 3 regular season games in 5 years, all from one injury. Romo hasn't started 16 games in 2012. Actually, in 13 years, Romo has started 16 games in a season the same amount Dalton has in 5 years.

Teams are getting more QB needy. It'd be silly to not trade him if you get a good offer. Getting a starting player is always better than a backup player.

ok you seem to undercut how high you see AJM worth right now.. you say backups are a dime a dozen and he only threw for under 200 yards in our wins.. so why would some team offer a 2nd round pick for a average backup??  

As I stated before.. the bengals were smart to invest in AJM.. sure Dalton does not get hurt much but it does happen more often than not with QBs.. so i believe we need to hold on to AJM especially since we won;t get enough for him anyway 

RE: How about AJ McCarron - TheLeonardLeap - 01-11-2016

(01-11-2016, 09:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: ok you seem to undercut how high you see AJM worth right now.. you say backups are a dime a dozen and he only threw for under 200 yards in our wins.. so why would some team offer a 2nd round pick for a average backup??  

As I stated before.. the bengals were smart to invest in AJM.. sure Dalton does not get hurt much but it does happen more often than not with QBs.. so i believe we need to hold on to AJM especially since we won;t get enough for him anyway 

As I said before, because people are being stupid about QBs for a couple years now. The same reason the Eagles gave a 2nd for Bradford. The same reason EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden, and Blaine Gabbert were ever 1st round picks to begin with.

People are desperate for QBs and are doing silly things. So I say encourage them to do silly things by overpaying for your backup QB.

RE: How about AJ McCarron - whodey4life84 - 01-11-2016

I can't even begin to fathom some of the dumb remarks on here about McCarron. Being critical of him not being able to move the ball in the second half during a torrential downpour? How well did Ben do? How well did Tom Brady or Andy do in the game they played when it was raining that hard. Some of your hard ons for Dalton are just ridiculous. AJ McCarron has played ridiculously well during his first 4 starts. I felt way better with him at the helm than I did through Daltons first 2 seasons. I honestly would be up for trading Dalton in the offseason, getting a 1st round pick or more and having an extra 20 million or so to extend our own and maybe add a key piece. McCarron did in his 4th start what Dalton couldnt over years. Give us a chance to win the game. Ill take that any day. Of course we didnt move the ball the past few games all that well as we were dead set on shortening the game. Same thing we did with Dalton when he was a young qb.

RE: How about AJ McCarron - Essex Johnson - 01-11-2016

(01-11-2016, 09:45 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: I can't even begin to fathom some of the dumb remarks on here about McCarron. Being critical of him not being able to move the ball in the second half during a torrential downpour? How well did Ben do? How well did Tom Brady or Andy do in the game they played when it was raining that hard. Some of your hard ons for Dalton are just ridiculous. AJ McCarron has played ridiculously well during his first 4 starts. I felt way better with him at the helm than I did through Daltons first 2 seasons. I honestly would be up for trading Dalton in the offseason, getting a 1st round pick or more and having an extra 20 million or so to extend our own and maybe add a key piece. McCarron did in his 4th start what Dalton couldnt over years. Give us a chance to win the game. Ill take that any day. Of course we didnt move the ball the past few games all that well as we were dead set on shortening the game. Same thing we did with Dalton when he was a young qb.

Here is the major problem with your post.. you go after Dalton for AJM performance.. why do you have a hard on against Dalton.. Praise AJM I have no problem with that... but why bring Dalton into it.. the problem is that the people that praised AJM at same time throw Dalton under the bus and he did not even play in the damn game.. give me a break.

I am also glad you are such a great study on a QB after 4 games.. I am guessing you would have had Bruce or Kearns in the Hall of Fame for baseball  after a month or two performances when they started... 

The other problem is you are talking apples to oranges.. this has zero to do with Andy's first 4 games (which by the way was a straight up rookie with less weapons than we have today for sure ) vs. AJM that has been with the team for two years now.... big difference.. Also we don;t have a Starting QB that just completed 4 games.. we have a backup that just completed 4 games.

What we have at starting Qb is a 5 TIME PLAYOFF LEAD QB.. that is rated in top 5 to 7 in the NFL... why in the world would you trade him... but I figured out why you would trade him.. 

I will take Dalton's level right now over AJM all day.. Remember what potential means " you have not done shit yet"... after just 4 games that is pretty much where AJM stands on the big NFL picture.. I like AJM but this Dalton bashing after a MVP season just shows how bad you hate Dalton

RE: How about AJ McCarron - Fresno B - 01-11-2016

(01-11-2016, 10:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Here is the major problem with your post.. you go after Dalton for AJM performance.. why do you have a hard on against Dalton.. Praise AJM I have no problem with that... but why bring Dalton into it.. the problem is that the people that praised AJM at same time throw Dalton under the bus and he did not even play in the damn game.. give me a break.

I am also glad you are such a great study on a QB after 4 games.. I am guessing you would have had Bruce or Kearns in the Hall of Fame for baseball  after a month or two performances when they started... 

The other problem is you are talking apples to oranges.. this has zero to do with Andy's first 4 games (which by the way was a straight up rookie with less weapons than we have today for sure ) vs. AJM that has been with the team for two years now.... big difference.. Also we don;t have a Starting QB that just completed 4 games.. we have a backup that just completed 4 games.

What we have at starting Qb is a 5 TIME PLAYOFF LEAD QB.. that is rated in top 5 to 7 in the NFL... why in the world would you trade him... but I figured out why you would trade him.. 

I will take Dalton's level right now over AJM all day.. Remember what potential means " you have not done shit yet"... after just 4 games that is pretty much where AJM stands on the big NFL picture.. I like AJM but this Dalton bashing after a MVP season just shows how bad you hate Dalton

Shut up. All you and your Dalton fanboys have done is bash AJM. Grow a pair.   Cool

RE: How about AJ McCarron - RoyleRedlegs - 01-12-2016

(01-11-2016, 08:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I agree with many of your posts, but the bold statement made me shake my noggin. Why, if your want your evaluation of a player to be honest and taken seriously, would you base it on irrational standards that some fans(s) set? 

As to the first 3 Q's of the playoff game, you're right, he looked every bit of a guy with very little NFL experience. In the 4th he showed that he is capable of rebounding. As I said before, we've yet to have a QB have a high quality performance in the playoffs during the Lewis era, including AJ's overall game. 

I agree about the D, they played one helluva game. 

It's the only way to disarm the nuts. Give it back to them.

Besides, we were in a SB hunt. IDGAF who the QB is, you play like that and I will roast you.

If Andy had AJ's games leading to and including the WC game, he'd be getting KILLED.

Hell we know this because of how he was treated as a rookie and 2nd year guy. 

RE: How about AJ McCarron - BigSeph - 01-12-2016

(01-12-2016, 12:12 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's the only way to disarm the nuts. Give it back to them.

Besides, we were in a SB hunt. IDGAF who the QB is, you play like that and I will roast you.

If Andy had AJ's games leading to and including the WC game, he'd be getting KILLED.

Hell we know this because of how he was treated as a rookie and 2nd year guy. 

How long do you plan on being butthurt over what a couple of people said in preseason?  Will you have it out of your system by next year, or will you carry this with you forever?

Also I'm still waiting for you to provide a link to the statements you claim I made.  Please take care of that before you put me on your ignore list.   Hilarious

RE: How about AJ McCarron - Shake n Blake - 01-12-2016

(01-11-2016, 06:25 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I'm blown away by the amount of people that say McCarron throws a better deep ball than Dalton. Dalton is near the top of the league when it comes to the deep ball. McCarron throws a bunch of wobblers and floaters. He had 1 or 2 good deep balls against Pittsburgh and that's it. Dalton gets crushed if he underthrows anyone. McCarron does it with frequency.

The best argument that could be made for McCarron might be intermediate throws. Even those are high and leave the WR out to dry. People constantly bitched about how Andy was going to get a receiver killed by throwing high. McCarron does it and everyone talks about how he's on his way to being great.

That's where people can't get their head out of their ass. I like McCarron. I thought he played pretty well for being an inexperienced backup. That's where it ends though. McCarron's "fan boys" (I hate these dumbass terms) prop McCarron up with the same things they tear Dalton down with. That's where a lot of Dalton "fan boys" have their issue. It's not with McCarron's play, it's that there are 2 completely different sets of standards. Dalton underthrow = ZOMG teh worst QB evas!!!!!11!! McCarron underthrow = amazeballs deep ball! trade the ginger! That's where people have a problem.

Best post in the thread. 100% agree with all of this, especially the bolded. I like McCarron. I just don't like the different set of standards.

The fact that the Bengals D limited the Steelers to 15 points through 3.9 quarters is the only reason the game was close. The offense was abysmal through 3 quarters and McCarron's numbers (68.3 rating, 3 fumbles, 1 INT) were very Dalton-like, probably worse actually. Dalton has the exact same game and the narrative would be totally different. We all know this. Instead of all the talk about Hill's fumble and the penalties at the end, people would be blaming Dalton's turnovers and how he should've led the offense to more points against a piss poor secondary. No mention would be made of rainy conditions (that would be deemed an excuse). 

My opinion of McCarron is that he's a very promising young backup. I think he could wind up starting for a few teams. In no way do I think he's better than Dalton though. Pocket awareness isn't there and his accuracy, arm and smarts aren't on Dalton's level. Of course, Dalton is a top 10 QB in this league. As for the playoff game, I think McCarron looked pretty awful through 3 quarters. Partly due to rainy conditions, but you can't let the rain cause 3 fumbles and a pick. He did pull it together in the 4th, and his defense gave him the opportunity to still be in it at that point. 

I guess I'd give him a D+ for his performance on Saturday. It seems McCarron fans are giving him more of a B-. If Dalton had the same performance - at any point - it would've been an emphatic F. Any positive McCarron has is exaggerated and any negative is downplayed. It's the exact opposite of how these same people treat Dalton.

RE: How about AJ McCarron - Fresno B - 01-12-2016

(01-12-2016, 12:28 AM)BigSeph Wrote: How long do you plan on being butthurt over what a couple of people said in preseason?  Will you have it out of your system by next year, or will you carry this with you forever?

Also I'm still waiting for you to provide a link to the statements you claim I made.  Please take care of that before you put me on your ignore list.   Hilarious

He's an expert at putting words in mouth. Im also a victim of it. Must of snuck em in when I was snoring. Hilarious

RE: How about AJ McCarron - tigershrimp - 01-12-2016

He won that game. The go-ahead dart to AJ was beyond huge. If only, if only, if only.... Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

The kid did it. He just...did it. They took it away from him, but they can't take it away from him. He's ready, and we have what you'd call a good problem.

RE: How about AJ McCarron - bfine32 - 01-12-2016

AJ and Andy are now tied for playoff TD passes in the NFL

RE: How about AJ McCarron - The Real Deal - 01-12-2016

(01-12-2016, 01:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: AJ and Andy are now tied for playoff TD passes in the NFL

Tebow has one. Sign him?

(01-12-2016, 01:24 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Best post in the thread. 100% agree with all of this, especially the bolded. I like McCarron. I just don't like the different set of standards.

The fact that the Bengals D limited the Steelers to 15 points through 3.9 quarters is the only reason the game was close. The offense was abysmal through 3 quarters and McCarron's numbers (68.3 rating, 3 fumbles, 1 INT) were very Dalton-like, probably worse actually. Dalton has the exact same game and the narrative would be totally different. We all know this. Instead of all the talk about Hill's fumble and the penalties at the end, people would be blaming Dalton's turnovers and how he should've led the offense to more points against a piss poor secondary. No mention would be made of rainy conditions (that would be deemed an excuse). 

My opinion of McCarron is that he's a very promising young backup. I think he could wind up starting for a few teams. In no way do I think he's better than Dalton though. Pocket awareness isn't there and his accuracy, arm and smarts aren't on Dalton's level. Of course, Dalton is a top 10 QB in this league. As for the playoff game, I think McCarron looked pretty awful through 3 quarters. Partly due to rainy conditions, but you can't let the rain cause 3 fumbles and a pick. He did pull it together in the 4th, and his defense gave him the opportunity to still be in it at that point. 

I guess I'd give him a D+ for his performance on Saturday. It seems McCarron fans are giving him more of a B-. If Dalton had the same performance - at any point - it would've been an emphatic F. Any positive McCarron has is exaggerated and any negative is downplayed. It's the exact opposite of how these same people treat Dalton.
Only difference is McCarron actually brought us back and took the lead IN THE PLAYOFFS. We scored more in the 4th quarter more than we have in the past 4 playoff games combined.

RE: How about AJ McCarron - The Real Deal - 01-12-2016

(01-12-2016, 01:33 AM)Fresno B Wrote: Only difference is McCarron actually brought us back and took the lead IN THE PLAYOFFS. We scored more in the 4th quarter more than we have in the past 4 playoff games combined.

Blah blah blah. All you dalton haters better put your macaroni boners away because he will never sniff the field in Cincinnati with dalton around. And that's exactly how it should be.

RE: How about AJ McCarron - Shake n Blake - 01-12-2016

(01-12-2016, 01:33 AM)Fresno B Wrote: Only difference is McCarron actually brought us back and took the lead IN THE PLAYOFFS. We scored more in the 4th quarter more than we have in the past 4 playoff games combined.

And that amounted to what exactly? He lost and played poorly. Maybe if he scored more than 16 points we would've won. Maybe if the Steelers hadn't scored a TD off a McCarron fumble, we'd have our first playoff win. I mean, aren't these the criticisms we'd be hearing if the QB wore #14 on his jersey?

RE: How about AJ McCarron - bfine32 - 01-12-2016

(01-12-2016, 01:38 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Blah blah blah. All you dalton haters better put your macaroni boners away because he will never sniff the field in Cincinnati with dalton around. And that's exactly how it should be.

I hope the coaches do not have this mentality. I hope they let them compete for the job.

Andy looked great this year,  but AJ surprised me. 

Andy is scheduled to cost us about $23 mil over the next 2 years; AJ about 1.2

RE: How about AJ McCarron - Essex Johnson - 01-12-2016

(01-11-2016, 11:23 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Shut up. All you and your Dalton fanboys have done is bash AJM. Grow a pair.   Cool

Lol thats all you got, i praise AJM but you bash Dalton, I'd say grow some but it sounds like you have been cut off anyway

RE: How about AJ McCarron - Essex Johnson - 01-12-2016

(01-12-2016, 01:44 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope the coaches do not have this mentality. I hope they let them compete for the job.

Andy looked great this year,  but AJ surprised me. 

Andy is scheduled to cost us about $23 mil over the next 2 years; AJ about 1.2
Sounds about right for a back up don't you think And a top 7 quarterback

RE: How about AJ McCarron - StLucieBengal - 01-12-2016

We have the best Qb situation in the league.

No doubt we get some calls.

(01-12-2016, 01:40 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: And that amounted to what exactly? He lost and played poorly. Maybe if he scored more than 16 points we would've won. Maybe if the Steelers hadn't scored a TD off a McCarron fumble, we'd have our first playoff win. I mean, aren't these the criticisms we'd be hearing if the QB wore #14 on his jersey?

Hill pass.