Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Kava - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Klotsch (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Klotsch)
+---- Forum: Food & Drink (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Food-Drink)
+---- Thread: Kava (/Thread-Kava)

Kava - xxlt - 02-19-2016

So, Kava bars have been the local hipster thing for the last few years here. That may mean the closest one to the 'nati is in TN or NY - but maybe there is one in Northside or Clifton. I really don't know...

Anywho, any of you young bucks (or old geezers) ever try kava? I tried it today for the first time and I am not sure if I will have it again - I will tell you what I thought of it later. I am just really curious what anyone else here thought of it if you have tried it, if you take it regularly, or if you have even heard of it.

RE: Kava - Bengalzona - 02-19-2016

Yeah. I've tried kava before. A kava drink as well as a vape version of it. I felt some increased energy, but not as much as coffee.

Of course, it also might have been the three lines of cocaine I took with it. Hilarious

RE: Kava - Belsnickel - 02-19-2016

I live in an even more backwoods area than Cinci, so naturally I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

RE: Kava - xxlt - 02-19-2016

(02-19-2016, 09:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I live in an even more backwoods area than Cinci, so naturally I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

LMAO... Kava is a Pacific Island drink similar to a tea but served cold - it is made from a plant - and I am told that in the islands it is a compliment to tell them it tastes horrible. There are claims it is better than medication for treating anxiety. I just wandered into a place today and they had it so I tried it.

Again, apparently the worse it tastes the "better" it is per the folks who have drank it for centuries. What I had today did indeed taste like crap. I was also told it would numb my mouth and it did. Interesting that 'zona said it gave him energy - most of what I have read and what the girl who served me today also said indicates most people feel mellowed out by it. I have heard that many people who don't like to drink alcohol like Kava because it gives them the relaxed feeling drinking can give but without the impairment and without a hangover the next day. There are also some allegations and indications it causes severe liver damage (also like alcohol). What I tried was gross and mouth numbing and I guess it relaxed me a bit but I am not sure if it really effected me or not.

RE: Kava - fredtoast - 02-21-2016

I drank this stuff 25 years ago.  Some new-age hippies I knew when I lived in Boulder drank it.  They called it Kava-Kava.

I honestly have not heard of it since then.

I drank it cold with lemon and honey.  It did not taste good at all.

It was supposed to be calming.

RE: Kava - fredtoast - 03-03-2016

Have any of you ever tried Yerba Mate? Drank this back in Boulder also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

RE: Kava - Bengalzona - 03-03-2016

(03-03-2016, 01:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Have any of you ever tried Yerba Mate?  Drank this back in Boulder also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

Yeah! Dang, this was the stuff I was thinking of earlier, not kava. But I know I tried kava before too way back in the 80's.

Sorry about the confusion. Thanks for bringing this up. ThumbsUp

RE: Kava - magikod - 03-05-2016

Why not just smoke a joint to help treat your anxiety? haha

RE: Kava - xxlt - 03-15-2016

(03-05-2016, 01:20 AM)magikod Wrote: Why not just smoke a joint to help treat your anxiety? haha

I think pretty much everyone who was in kava land the day I visited got high on the way. So I am not sure if the kava was just a social hang out thing - but hipper than Starbucks - or if it somehow was augmenting the weed.

RE: Kava - Awful Llama - 03-17-2016

(02-19-2016, 09:46 PM)xxlt Wrote: LMAO... Kava is a Pacific Island drink similar to a tea but served cold - it is made from a plant - and I am told that in the islands it is a compliment to tell them it tastes horrible. There are claims it is better than medication for treating anxiety. I just wandered into a place today and they had it so I tried it.

Again, apparently the worse it tastes the "better" it is per the folks who have drank it for centuries. What I had today did indeed taste like crap. I was also told it would numb my mouth and it did. Interesting that 'zona said it gave him energy - most of what I have read and what the girl who served me today also said indicates most people feel mellowed out by it. I have heard that many people who don't like to drink alcohol like Kava because it gives them the relaxed feeling drinking can give but without the impairment and without a hangover the next day. There are also some allegations and indications it causes severe liver damage (also like alcohol). What I tried was gross and mouth numbing and I guess it relaxed me a bit but I am not sure if it really effected me or not.

I was with you up to the "severe liver damage," and now I'll have to pass. Well, "gross and mouth numbing" doesn't help.

RE: Kava - xxlt - 03-18-2016

(03-17-2016, 10:02 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I was with you up to the "severe liver damage," and now I'll have to pass.  Well, "gross and mouth numbing" doesn't help.

I have a memory from my youth (early 1970's) of that being the title on the marquise at the old XXX Cinema on Monmouth St. in Newport.

RE: Kava - Tiger Teeth - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 03:01 PM)xxlt Wrote: I have a memory from my youth (early 1970's) of that being the title on the marquise at the old XXX Cinema on Monmouth St. in Newport.

Ah, the memories of youth.  I saw a sign in Newport once that read "Fingerpaint a Live Nude".  Oh the dreams..........

RE: Kava - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 03-20-2016

(03-18-2016, 11:54 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Ah, the memories of youth.  I saw a sign in Newport once that read "Fingerpaint a Live Nude".  Oh the dreams..........

I've done that,  though I don't think she was a model, and it wasn't in an art class. Mellow

RE: Kava - Devils Advocate - 03-22-2016

Ayahuasca would be much more interesting.

RE: Kava - Bengalzona - 03-22-2016

(03-20-2016, 02:23 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I've done that,  though I don't think she was a model, and it wasn't in an art class. Mellow

Oh, heck yeah. I've fingered several live nudes. Cool

And one whom I wasn't sure if she was still alive or not. Nervous

RE: Kava - fredtoast - 03-23-2016

(03-22-2016, 11:13 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Ayahuasca would be much more interesting.

WAY more interesting

[Image: 9780141189864.jpg]

RE: Kava - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 03-24-2016

(03-22-2016, 11:31 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Oh, heck yeah. I've fingered several live nudes. Cool

I've taken home some questionable women...but I'm quite certain they were all breathing! Shocked

RE: Kava - samhain - 03-28-2016

I've bought it at CVS in capsule form. Thought it might help with insomnia. Not ineffective, but not great, either. Smelled like diarrhea when I opened the bottle.

RE: Kava - Tiger Teeth - 03-28-2016

(03-22-2016, 11:31 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Oh, heck yeah. I've fingered several live nudes. Cool

Sick

RE: Kava - xxlt - 04-25-2017

Update: so I met this hipster who told me Kava is good, but if it didn't do much for me to try Kratom. (If a "bar" has one they likely have the other.) He also directed me to the best Kava bar in town, while telling me the bar I had been to was still very good

I tried Kratom a few months ago at the "best" place and subsequently learned the FDA was contemplating a ban.

Well, public outcry nixed the ban and I have had Kratom a few more times since the first, and I have to say it is a great drink for me. Much like Kava, it tastes awful, but the effects are fantastic. I do not feel high or impaired at all, but it definitely eliminates pain and elevates mood. Chalk one up for the dirty hippie tribe, of which many have long claimed I am a lost a member.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitragyna_speciosa