Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Why are so many players being overpaid?? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Why are so many players being overpaid?? (/Thread-Why-are-so-many-players-being-overpaid)

Pages: 1 2

Why are so many players being overpaid?? - milksheikh - 03-09-2016

I just noticed a lot of NFL players are being hella overpaid than they are actually worth.

Like just right now, I saw that the Saints signed Coby Fleener for 5 years/$36m contract.. That's absolutely absurd, I think you could get a player like him in the draft in 2nd or 3rd..

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - Beaker - 03-09-2016

This is why I have no problem with the Bengals philosophy of not overpaying in the first rush of FA every year. If we had paid Jones and Sanu what they got elsewhere, that would have eaten up $15 million for two WRS who are the third and fourth options behind Green and Eifert. There would be no way we could have retained Iloka, nor likely signed Eifert or Zeitler next year.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - Mike M (the other one) - 03-09-2016

With the cap going up and up, salaries have to rise with it.
Now some players are not worth their contracts, but if you want them, you pay.

Jones and Sanu are taking an advantage of a weak fa class and draft class. Nothing wrong with that, but we could've had 1 of the 2 locked up last year for less.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - Essex Johnson - 03-09-2016

(03-09-2016, 09:07 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: With the cap going up and up, salaries have to rise with it.

Jones and Sanu are taking an advantage of a weak fa class and draft class. Nothing wrong with that, but we could've had 1 of the 2 locked up last year for less.

The bengals have been one of the best times to retain their own good players in the last couple years.. so i have no problem what they have done and are doing.... 

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - Stormborn - 03-09-2016

Two I's

Inflation and Ineptness

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - J24 - 03-09-2016

Stupid teams doing stupid things.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - YoungThundercat - 03-10-2016

I've been seeing this question alot. What dictates overpaid? Overpaid in comparison to what? Contracts signed last year under a smaller salary cap?

People are paid based on one of two things: market dictation or perceived value by the signing team.

Most of the signings have fallen under the second heading.

I equate it to this: recently my wife and I moved. We paid about $400 for people to move our stuff for us. We could comfortably afford that. We have friends who could not comfortably afford that, so they move themselves. They could say we overpaid for the service, but we were comfortable for the price point and the service rendered. Doesn't make us or them right or wrong.

Same thing with teams. We are sitting with $15 million in space, and we think that these contracts are outrageous, but teams like Jacksonville and Oakland and the Giants have upwards of $60-70-80-90 million to spend. They can afford these contracts (for now) and are comfortable paying it to get the player they want, then they didn't "overpay". This also goes for the "reach/overdraft" come draft time as well.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - SunsetBengal - 03-10-2016

It's all about supply and demand.  This year, it's a sellers market for pass catchers.  By the way, Fleener was so under used in Indy.  However, I can remember one particular game, when two WRs were out with injury, he got me like 38 pts. in a fantasy game.  For whatever that is worth..

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - TheLeonardLeap - 03-10-2016

The cap went up a bunch, and then this is the final year for teams to get their Cap % spending up before it's calculated. So for some teams it's use it or lose it.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - Yojimbo - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 12:16 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The cap went up a bunch, and then this is the final year for teams to get their Cap % spending up before it's calculated. So for some teams it's use it or lose it.

Yup. Some teams (Oakland, Jacksonville, Tennessee) have to spend money, they don't have a choice.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - ochocincos - 03-10-2016

(03-09-2016, 11:24 PM)J24 Wrote: Stupid teams doing stupid things.

[Image: 59555319.jpg]

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - StoneTheCrow - 03-10-2016

Don't know, but I like it.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - Who Dey Time - 03-10-2016

2016 is the last year of the first 4-year window for cash-to-cap compliance. There are a few teams that will need to up their cash spend in 2016 to hit the 4-year 89% thresh hold.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - Au165 - 03-10-2016

Supply and Demand. It is almost comparable to price gouging in some cases. There is a league wide shortage of talent at certain positions and the agents exploit it into outrageous contracts that everyone knows are bad, but they have to be paid.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - XenoMorph - 03-10-2016

(03-09-2016, 08:56 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I just noticed a lot of NFL players are being hella overpaid than they are actually worth.

Like just right now, I saw that the Saints signed Coby Fleener for 5 years/$36m contract.. That's absolutely absurd, I think you could get a player like him in the draft in 2nd or 3rd..

Teams spend high dollar to generate interest from fans... its a butts in seats move.. like tampa had been doing every year just to suck and cut bait the next.

or maybe they think if they pay him more he will play better lol

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - XenoMorph - 03-10-2016

(03-09-2016, 09:07 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: With the cap going up and up, salaries have to rise with it.

problem with that is you can throw contracts at them but they have to choose to sign both wanted to test the market. they wont find the same success as playing second fiddle to AJ

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - Shake n Blake - 03-10-2016

1. The cap goes up almost every year.

2. Coby Fleener is a damn good player. In '13 and '14 (when he actually had competent QB play), he averaged 52 catches, 691 yards and 6 scores. And that's while splitting time with Dwayne Allen.

Compare that contract for Fleener with other recent TE contracts and you'll see it's not all that bad. Eifert is probably going to get 9-10 million per himself.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - BengalChris - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 02:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. The cap goes up almost every year.

2. Coby Fleener is a damn good player. In '13 and '14 (when he actually had competent QB play), he averaged 52 catches, 691 yards and 6 scores. And that's while splitting time with Dwayne Allen.

Compare that contract for Fleener with other recent TE contracts and you'll see it's not all that bad. Eifert is probably going to get 9-10 million per himself.

Yeah, we need to lock up Eifert this off season. We have the cap space to do it.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-10-2016

(03-09-2016, 08:58 PM)Beaker Wrote: This is why I have no problem with the Bengals philosophy of not overpaying in the first rush of FA every year. If we had paid Jones and Sanu what they got elsewhere, that would have eaten up $15 million for two WRS who are the third and fourth options behind Green and Eifert. There would be no way we could have retained Iloka, nor likely signed Eifert or Zeitler next year.

The truth Beaker. I like how the Bengals have handled FA so far.

If i was a fan of some of these other teams i wouldn't be. Puttin all our eggs into one basket historically does not work.

RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - Bengalfan11164 - 03-10-2016

(03-09-2016, 08:58 PM)Beaker Wrote: This is why I have no problem with the Bengals philosophy of not overpaying in the first rush of FA every year. If we had paid Jones and Sanu what they got elsewhere, that would have eaten up $15 million for two WRS who are the third and fourth options behind Green and Eifert. There would be no way we could have retained Iloka, nor likely signed Eifert or Zeitler next year.

The bengals have $39 million.

Paying pacman $7 and Iloka $6, we still have $26 million.

I wouldn't have signed both sanu and Marvin, but I don't by that the bengals couldn't have afford to sign jones for $8, Vinnie Rey for $4, Winston for $1.

That leaves $13 left.

Eifert has a reasonable 5th year option.
Zeitler could be extended this year and drop his cap hit.

And salary cap is probably still going up in upcoming years.

Marvin wanted a more featured role, so he left.
But the bengals have enough reserve to have signed Marvin AND signed these other guys (bengals ufa).