Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? (/Thread-So-Are-We-Pretty-Much-Done-in-FA)

Pages: 1 2 3

So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - Wes Mantooth - 03-10-2016

Sure, we need to fill out the roster. There will be other signings. So I don't mean literally done in that we won't sign anyone else. More so that we won't sign anyone else of note.

The team put out the 15 mil dollar figure last week. I noticed just now that it was reiterated in article by Paul Dehner. I would assume, had that figured changed, it wouldn't have made into another beat article.

So, do the match. Look at the money we spent on TJ Johnson and Tate. (Fwiw, that I'm even adding up such paltry amounts, but when you're budgeting 15 mil every bit counts.) Throw in 6 mil for Iloka. You're somewhere in the 7.5-8 mil range.

Then the question is, how much did we spend on Pacman? I'm just guessing, it was at least 4 mil per. Minimum. But probably 5-6. (I could be wrong, just guessing) So we're left with somewhere in the 11.5 to 14 mil range.

What's left?

We still got spots to fill, and even warm bodies add up. So I would have to say, that as far name FA's, that we're done. And that includes a lot of our own guys. Fat Andre, Leon Hall, Nelson, Sanu, Gillberry, Sims, Brandon Thompson... Do we keep any of them, and if so which ones and how many. (I'm guessing not many, and whoever cost less than 2 mil)

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch and accuses me of whining or squealing, this isn't a ***** thread. It's a conversation thread, a math thread. A temper your expectations thread.

If what the team told us is true, Free Agency 2016 is already nearing it's exciting conclusion. Just warning you...

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - Atomic Orange - 03-10-2016

I would be ecstatic if they kept Nelson and Hall. As it stands i am very very happy with George Jones.

I think we'll kick some FA WR tires.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - bfine32 - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 01:44 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I would be ecstatic if they kept Nelson and Hall. As it stands i am very very happy with George Jones.

I think we'll kick some FA WR tires.

Love me some George Jones.

As to the OP: Yeah, we're pretty much done and I ain't mad. 

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - BengalChris - 03-10-2016

Tate at about $650,000
Winston at about $1,090,000
TJ Johnson at about $600,000
Iloka at about $6,000,000 [Not sure what the cap hit is for this year]
Adam Jones at about $7,000,000 [Not sure what the cap hit is for this year]

Total so far $15,340,000

So, my guess is that that some of the money to Iloka such as the signing bonus is spread out so his cap hit this year may be less than $6M.

What I believe we need is:
1. A vet WR, probably for the slot.
2. Someone to be the 1st guy off the bench on the DL and I don't think anyone believes Hunt or Clarke can be that guy. Gilberry played a key role for this defense and we need someone else who can do that job. The team may be counting on getting this from the draft with such a deep DT draft.
3. A backup LB or Vincent Rey, but not sure how money for him will fit.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - NATI BENGALS - 03-10-2016

Yea that 15 mil number was a load of shit. We spent over 15 today. Hobson says figure around 14 for Pickman and Iloka. and we gave Winston over a million.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - Ricky Spanish - 03-10-2016

I just want them to keep Reggie. I'd be very happy

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - J24 - 03-10-2016

We will probably sign Vincent rey but other than that we are done.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 03-10-2016

Well if we only have $15 million i'd like to know how a team like cap strapped New Orleans can afford to spend $6 million plus on a crappy guy like Coby Fleener.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - yellowxdiscipline - 03-10-2016

V Rey and maybe Nelson, then Hall in that order. Maybe an outside vet receiver, after that I cant see them doing too much.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - Sled21 - 03-10-2016

I think the priorities are Nelson and Gilberry. We have Wright, who should be able to line up opposite AJ, Eifert and Kroft, and we can always stick Burkhead in the slot and get as much out of him as we did Sanu. (no knock on Sanu, but Rex has excellent hands too).

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - fredtoast - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 01:31 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch and accuses me of whining or squealing, this isn't a ***** thread.  It's a conversation thread, a math thread. 

Wow.  Someone is getting way too sensitive about the "lighthearted jabs" around here.

Maybe message boards are not for you.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - milksheikh - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 03:14 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well if we only have $15 million i'd like to know how a team like cap strapped New Orleans can afford to spend $6 million plus on a crappy guy like Coby Fleener.

Lmao me too, I really wonder how some of these teams with very low cap space are paying for these players when we have 11th most cap yet don't spend as much. Oh well, gotta trust the process I guess.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - fredtoast - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 03:14 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well if we only have $15 million i'd like to know how a team like cap strapped New Orleans can afford to spend $6 million plus on a crappy guy like Coby Fleener.

The Saints? Seriously?  The team that had to cut three starters to get under the cap and have to deal with over $20 million in dead money against their cap this year.  The team that won only 7 games last year?

You really want to start doing business like the Saints?  Throw big money contracts at free agents every year then cut them before they play out their contracts and waste more money on more free agents? 

Any team can "find a way" to spend money on free agents every year if they don't care about dead money and cutting starters every year. 

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - ochocincos - 03-10-2016

VRey re-signed at $3-4 mill a year.
A cut vet WR who will make no more than $2 mill a year.
MAYBE the Bengals stretch out and also get a younger vet DE who was cut. Hoping for Bjoern Werner, but we'll see.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - Se ky bengal - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 02:39 AM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: I just want them to keep Reggie.  I'd be very happy

agreed love me Reggie Rock On well guess I should have checked the other threads 1st we will miss you Reggie 

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - samhain - 03-10-2016

I doubt they're done, but think they'll wait things out for a bit. I see no way they can't at least a veteran wr or depth signing at linebacker in. Both positions are awfully thin and I doubt they want to limit their flexibility in the draft too much.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - SFmajor - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 10:19 AM)ochocincos Wrote: VRey re-signed at $3-4 mill a year.
A cut vet WR who will make no more than $2 mill a year.
MAYBE the Bengals stretch out and also get a younger vet DE who was cut. Hoping for Bjoern Werner, but we'll see.

Did V Rey sign?  I didn't see any announcement.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - jj22 - 03-10-2016

Lance and Hobs (I believe it was Hobs) on 1530 yesterday they said they are over the 15million mark with the two singings, and are done outside of camp bodies. Jones got nearly 7million a year.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-10-2016

I think Iloka and Adam Jones are their big signings and I'm happy with what they have done. If they could only re-sign one of their starters, Iloka would be the one I would want them to re-sign. I think the Bengals will try to re-sign some of their remaining UFAs at what they consider are reasonable contracts. I think they will look at veteran players who have been released (so they don't count against potential comp picks) to fill out the roster. I'm thinking maybe a veteran corner still available during the second wave of FA. Maybe a WR, LB, or OL at the vet minimum if they're not a "qualifying" FA.

There are some vets who haven't been released, but don't count as qualifying FAs when it comes to the comp pick formula. Anybody know how the NFL determines who is a qualifying FA and who isn't?

There are some WRs that aren't big names I think could compete for the #3 or #4 WR spot. I'd like to see Nigel Bradham signed to play Will and I think he would be reasonably priced. If he did cancel out Marvin Jones' contract the comp pick formula, the Bengals are probably missing out on a end of round 4th or 5th round draft pick. I think Bradham would be a better quality player than the potential player they would miss out on if they lost the comp pick because they signed Bradham.

RE: So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA? - Shake n Blake - 03-10-2016

Yeah it's pretty obvious the $15 million figure was BS. Otherwise, how could they afford to offer $9 mil/per to Marv Jones after inking Iloka to a contract for $6 per? Theoretically, that's $15 million right there. It's not like either of those contracts are back loaded.

With the other small signings they've made (TJ Johnson, Winston, Tate, etc) they would've already been over their budget. So I guess the original plan involved signing Iloka and MLJ while letting everyone else (including Adam Jones) walk?