Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
American Tourist sentenced to 15 years.. - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: American Tourist sentenced to 15 years.. (/Thread-American-Tourist-sentenced-to-15-years)

Pages: 1 2 3

American Tourist sentenced to 15 years.. - bfine32 - 03-16-2016

Hard Labor in North Korea

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/03/16/north-korea-sentences-american-tourist-to-15-years-in-prison-with-hard-labor.html

Quote:PYONGYANG, North Korea – North Korea's highest court sentenced an American tourist to 15 years in prison with hard labor on Wednesday for subversion.
Otto Warmbier, a University of Virginia undergraduate, was convicted and sentenced in a one-hour trial in North Korea's Supreme Court.
He was charged with subversion under Article 60 of North Korea's criminal code. The court held that he had committed a crime "pursuant to the U.S. government's hostile policy toward (the North), in a bid to impair the unity of its people after entering it as a tourist."

RE: American Tourist sentenced to 15 years.. - Nebuchadnezzar - 03-16-2016

(03-16-2016, 01:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hard Labor in North Korea

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/03/16/north-korea-sentences-american-tourist-to-15-years-in-prison-with-hard-labor.html

Before traveling out of the United States, make sure you know the laws of whatever country you're going to. I don't mean to be callous or anything, just don't break the laws in other countries...you aren't in the US.

Maybe the US State Department can do something to help this guy.

RE: American Tourist sentenced to 15 years.. - Belsnickel - 03-16-2016

This has been all over the news here since it happened being as it's a local thing. This kid was an idiot. The sentence is harsh, but I have no trouble believing this kid tried to steal some bit of propaganda as a souvenir to take home. It's stupid to do something like this in any country, but a country with a dictator at the helm, that brainwashes its citizens into thinking the dictator is god-like, and we have no formal diplomatic ties to?

Moron.

RE: American Tourist sentenced to 15 years.. - BengalHawk62 - 03-16-2016

Ok, first of all, WTF is any American doing in that country?  A tourist?  Really?  There's literally a million other places I would visit before even thinking about trying to find a way into that country.  I mean seriously, northern Syria sounds nice this time of year compared to that country.  Why didn't he choose the highlands of Central Afghanistan?  The horn of Somolia, Mogadishu perhaps?  OR maybe perhaps St.Lucie's back yard?  I heard he has a pool now?????? 

RE: American Tourist sentenced to 15 years.. - Rotobeast - 03-16-2016

(03-16-2016, 01:08 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Ok, first of all, WTF is any American doing in that country?  A tourist?  Really?  There's literally a million other places I would visit before even thinking about trying to find a way into that country.  I mean seriously, northern Syria sounds nice this time of year compared to that country.  Why didn't he choose the highlands of Central Afghanistan?  The horn of Somolia, Mogadishu perhaps?  OR maybe perhaps St.Lucie's back yard?  I heard he has a pool now?????? 

He does have a pool !
We totally have to crash it.
ThumbsUp

On topic....
I'd wager goods and "services" in NK are pretty darn cheap.
There are probably a ton of hoops to jump through though.

RE: American Tourist sentenced to 15 years.. - Bengalzona - 03-16-2016

There are a handful (well, more than a handful) of countries in the world which I would not visit as a tourist. North Korea is very near the top of the list (very near Eastern Syria/Western Iraq).

RE: American Tourist sentenced to 15 years.. - StLucieBengal - 03-16-2016

(03-16-2016, 01:08 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Ok, first of all, WTF is any American doing in that country?  A tourist?  Really?  There's literally a million other places I would visit before even thinking about trying to find a way into that country.  I mean seriously, northern Syria sounds nice this time of year compared to that country.  Why didn't he choose the highlands of Central Afghanistan?  The horn of Somolia, Mogadishu perhaps?  OR maybe perhaps St.Lucie's back yard?  I heard he has a pool now?????? 

(03-16-2016, 02:55 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: He does have a pool !
We totally have to crash it.
ThumbsUp

On topic....
I'd wager goods and "services" in NK are pretty darn cheap.
There are probably a ton of hoops to jump through though.

Come on over you filthy animals lol

[Image: fsjtvDz.jpg]

(03-16-2016, 03:12 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: There are a handful (well, more than a handful) of countries in the world which I would not visit as a tourist. North Korea is very near the top of the list (very near Eastern Syria/Western Iraq).

Agreed. Even when I go to Belarus where I feel pretty safe and secure. I always register with the us embassy.

(03-16-2016, 03:34 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Come on over you filthy animals lol

I went to Florida once, in 1996. Didn't leave anything behind so I've no reason to go back. Smirk

RE: American Tourist sentenced to 15 years.. - Rotobeast - 03-16-2016

Hmmmmmmm..... maybe not.

Look at all those power lines !

That could explain some things.
Ninja

:jk:
Welcome back, again !!
ThumbsUp

(03-16-2016, 03:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I went to Florida once, in 1996. Didn't leave anything behind so I've no reason to go back. Smirk

Haha. Well the snowbirds are going home in about a month so it will get back to normal anyway.

(03-16-2016, 03:47 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Hmmmmmmm..... maybe not.

Look at all those power lines !

That could explain some things.
Ninja

:jk:
Welcome back, again !!
ThumbsUp

Thanks it's good to be back.

(03-16-2016, 03:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Haha. Well the snowbirds are going home in about a month so it will get back to normal anyway.

I just can't stand the heat. I know heading down in the winter would make it bearable, but then I'd miss the cold and snow.

RE: American Tourist sentenced to 15 years.. - BengalHawk62 - 03-16-2016

I'll bring my Busch Lights and some lefties and we'll have a good ol' time!   LMAO

(03-16-2016, 03:53 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'll bring my Busch Lights and some lefties and we'll have a good ol' time!   LMAO

I am used to lefties. I love them and their crazy ideals lol.

(03-16-2016, 03:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Agreed.   Even when I go to Belarus where I feel pretty safe and secure.   I always register with the us embassy.

I would go to Belarus. I feel more comfortable going there than to Russia I think (not that I wouldn't go to Russia).

(03-16-2016, 03:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Agreed. Even when I go to Belarus where I feel pretty safe and secure. I always register with the us embassy.

(03-16-2016, 04:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I would go to Belarus. I feel more comfortable going there than to Russia I think (not that I wouldn't go to Russia).

I definitely think the first qualifier I would have with any international travel would be "does the country I am going to have a diplomatic mission from the U.S., preferably an embassy?"

(03-16-2016, 04:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I definitely think the first qualifier I would have with any international travel would be "does the country I am going to have a diplomatic mission from the U.S., preferably an embassy?"

Agreed. And most countries do. But I ain't going if they ain't got an embassy (unless it is as part of military assault).

(03-16-2016, 04:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I would go to Belarus. I feel more comfortable going there than to Russia I think (not that I wouldn't go to Russia).

Russia is great man. Worth a trip to Moscow for the history alone. Fly Aeroflot and enjoy the top shelf vodka on the long flight from Florida to Moscow.

(03-16-2016, 04:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I definitely think the first qualifier I would have with any international travel would be "does the country I am going to have a diplomatic mission from the U.S., preferably an embassy?"

I would not go anywhere in the Middle East other than Israel.

Before my last trip I would have said the same for turkey but Istanbul was pretty cool. I would go back.