Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Easter - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Easter (/Thread-Easter)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Easter - xxlt - 03-26-2016

So, this is not a Happy Easter thread - sure someone will throw one up tomorrow.

Last week I was invited to an Easter lunch and had to confess I did not know when Easter is. Turns out it is tomorrow.

But, this is not new for me. Even when I attended Christian church I never knew when Easter was and thought it was a pretty insignificant holiday when it was pointed out to me. I am really not trying to pick a fight with Christians, I am just saying I never internalized Easter as a big deal - to me there were far more important things about being a Christian than going to church on Easter (or any other day for that matter), and other holidays that resonated more with me.

So, my questions are - what is your religion and is Easter a big deal for you?

My answers - I am an agnostic. I have friends who are believers (most, but not all, Christians) whom I respect and friends who are atheists whom I respect. Funny thing is it is the same thing that annoys me about both groups - but that is another topic for another thread. As I already stated, Easter is not a big deal for me. I get kind of a kick out of the winter solstice but not the summer solstice, and the spring and fall equinoxes are not a big deal for me. The pagan elements of Easter and the Christian ones are just things that don't register much with me, for some reason.

I did accept the lunch invite to be with friends, but Easter is just the pretense for the lunch and I would be hanging with some of the same people on most Sundays whether there was a lunch or not.

RE: Easter - SunsetBengal - 03-26-2016

Well, being raised a Catholic Christian, Easter is the holiest day of the year. Even though I haven't been a strong practitioner of my religion in years, I still give this holiday its just and due reverence, out of respect for all of those devout followers.

RE: Easter - Belsnickel - 03-26-2016

Let me preface this by saying that I agree this is some crazy, illogical shit. I have my own reasons for having faith in it, and that is what faith is really all about: believing in crazy, illogical shit when you really can't prove it.

Easter is arguably the most important of holidays for Christendom. The entire premise of Christianity is that Jesus died for us, descended to the dead, rose on the third day, ascended into heaven, and through his sacrifice we receive the grace of God and are forgiven of our sins. So Easter, the day he rose, is of extreme importance. Now, I have just started being active in my faith again. I have never done all of the Lent and Holy Week things, but I enjoy Easter because of what it represents. Lunch or dinner with family after church. Its a good time. The chocolate is pretty awesome, too.

Also, celebrations of Eostre are a good time, too. Lots of drink, dancing, and sex. Ninja

Frohe Ostern Allen.

RE: Easter - tigerseye - 03-26-2016

Being totally disrespectful isn't very funny.

I'm sure you could careless.

RE: Easter - xxlt - 03-26-2016

(03-26-2016, 07:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, being raised a Catholic Christian, Easter is the holiest day of the year.  Even though I haven't been a strong practitioner of my religion in years, I still give this holiday its just and due reverence, out of respect for all of those devout followers.

I am not surprised by this response, and many might say almost the exact same thing. It just isn't my experience because 1) I was never convinced of the primacy of Easter - there are lots of other holidays that seemed important too, and 2) since like you I don't practice the religion I was raised in I have even less strong feelings about Easter and don't see not "giving it reverence" as disrespecting devout followers. Whatever the holiest of Jewish and Muslim holidays are, I don't "give them reverence" either and it doesn't mean I don't respect Jews and Muslims, it just means it is just another day on the calendar to me.

Thanks for sharing your perspective on it.

(03-26-2016, 07:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Let me preface this by saying that I agree this is some crazy, illogical shit. I have my own reasons for having faith in it, and that is what faith is really all about: believing in crazy, illogical shit when you really can't prove it.

Easter is arguably the most important of holidays for Christendom. The entire premise of Christianity is that Jesus died for us, descended to the dead, rose on the third day, ascended into heaven, and through his sacrifice we receive the grace of God and are forgiven of our sins. So Easter, the day he rose, is of extreme importance. Now, I have just started being active in my faith again. I have never done all of the Lent and Holy Week things, but I enjoy Easter because of what it represents. Lunch or dinner with family after church. Its a good time. The chocolate is pretty awesome, too.

Also, celebrations of Eostre are a good time, too. Lots of drink, dancing, and sex. Ninja

Frohe Ostern Allen.

This post may point to some of the reasons why Easter never seemed to have primacy to me. The Eostre symbols do seem to overwhelm the Christian ones more than with some other holidays that while Christian, nonetheless steal pagan imagery.

Arguably the most important, yes, but as you say it is faith and ultimately even the great Thomas Aquinas said his Summa Theologica was, "just straw." It is all spit balling.

I wonder if I had created a poll if I would have gotten more responses... How do you like your Easter rabbits, hollow or solid chocolate comes to mind...

(03-26-2016, 08:25 PM)xxlt Wrote: This post may point to some of the reasons why Easter never seemed to have primacy to me. The Eostre symbols do seem to overwhelm the Christian ones more than with some other holidays that while Christian, nonetheless steal pagan imagery.

Arguably the most important, yes, but as you say it is faith and ultimately even the great Thomas Aquinas said his Summa Theologica was, "just straw." It is all spit balling.

I wonder if I had created a poll if I would have gotten more responses... How do you like your Easter rabbits, hollow or solid chocolate comes to mind...

Eh, every holiday has traditions rooted in practices in existence long before the holiday was conceived in its present form. At least when it comes to religion. Christmas and Easter, the two Christian biggies, are ripe with the stuff. In reality, it is smart, and it is why Christendom grew so large. So many things were done to make it easier for folks to be Christian and hold on to their old ways and in doing so they made it easier to convert. The common rabble often didn't care whether they were praying to Odin/Woden/Wotan or to Jesus, they were more superstitious than religious, and the festivals maintaining some similarities played an important role in maintaining that tradition.

Also, hollow.

[Image: lindt-chocolate-bunny.bmp]

RE: Easter - jmccracky - 03-26-2016

Meh, I am converting to Judaism, so Easter is not a holiday I celebrate. But I do attend family functions because it is always good to stay close to family and there is always good eatins lol!

Good thread though.

RE: Easter - bfine32 - 03-26-2016

So you started a thread about a holiday just to say you don't care about the holiday?

Makes sense.

(03-26-2016, 08:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, every holiday has traditions rooted in practices in existence long before the holiday was conceived in it's present form. At least when it comes to religion. Christmas and Easter, the two Christian biggies, are ripe with the stuff. In reality, it is smart, and it is why Christendom grew so large. So many things were done to make it easier for folks to be Christian and hold on to their old ways and in doing so they made it easier to convert. The common rabble often didn't care whether they were praying to Odin/Woden/Wotan or to Jesus, they were more superstitious than religious, and the festivals maintaining some similarities played an important role in maintaining that tradition.

Also, hollow.

[Image: lindt-chocolate-bunny.bmp]

Spot on with the first part of your post, and while I am well aware of this truth, these are fighting words to many a god-fearin' Christian.

As for the second part, this is where we part ways and I denounce you as an infidel. Solid chocolate, all day.

(03-26-2016, 09:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So you started a thread about a holiday just to say you don't care about the holiday?

Makes sense.

No, I started a thread about a holiday because I was genuinely curious about how other people felt about it, be they passionate or indifferent. I realize it is difficult for some people to appreciate, but I am curious about the world around me and the people who inhabit it. And, for those who are likewise curious, I shared some thoughts on this holiday as well as some others to give some context. I imagine this post makes no more sense to you, and if that is the case I am saddened that the nuances of it escape you. I expect more from adults, and pre-K children for that matter.

(03-26-2016, 10:08 PM)xxlt Wrote: Spot on with the first part of your post, and while I am well aware of this truth, these are fighting words to many a god-fearin' Christian.

As for the second part, this is where we part ways and I denounce you as an infidel. Solid chocolate, all day.

Well, as a lover of history, particularly that of my Germanic ancestors of the middle ages, these are things of which I am keenly aware. Also being someone that has an affinity for religions, including of the old Germanic ones, the parallels are things I have often found interesting and embraced as they are not just a part of my religion, but of my culture for centuries.

RE: Easter - bfine32 - 03-26-2016

(03-26-2016, 10:13 PM)xxlt Wrote: No, I started a thread about a holiday because I was genuinely curious about how other people felt about it, be they passionate or indifferent. I realize it is difficult for some people to appreciate, but I am curious about the world around me and the people who inhabit it. And, for those who are likewise curious, I shared some thoughts on this holiday as well as some others to give some context. I imagine this post makes no more sense to you, and if that is the case I am saddened that the nuances of it escape you. I expect more from adults, and pre-K children for that matter.

No you didn't. Your entire OP was to down play the significance of Easter .  Your "thoughts" were you don't care about the Holiday; yet will indulge your friends on the day.  If you want to profess why you truly started the thread; then just say so. I suppose you can expect other adults to believe it is because you are just curious. 

Keep you expectations high for those pre-K folk. 

RE: Easter - fredtoast - 03-27-2016

Why is Easter the only Christian holiday tied to the equinox and the phase of the moon instead of given a specific day to observe?

Like XXLT I am often surprised by Easter because I have no idea when it will arrive each year.

RE: Easter - Bengalzona - 03-27-2016

(03-27-2016, 12:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why is Easter the only Christian holiday tied to the equinox and the phase of the moon instead of given a specific day to observe?

Like XXLT I am often surprised by Easter because I have no idea when it will arrive each year.

For a holiday which is supposed to be the biggest holiday of the biggest religion, the church didn't do itself any favors by making the yearly date of it the most complex of any holiday for any religion. Ninja

(03-26-2016, 07:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Also, celebrations of Eostre are a good time, too. Lots of drink, dancing, and sex. Ninja

How come we Christians take over a holiday and we don't get the "sex" part?!?!?!? Whatever

(03-26-2016, 05:03 PM)xxlt Wrote: So, my questions are - what is your religion and is Easter a big deal for you?

As I already stated, Easter is not a big deal for me. I get kind of a kick out of the winter solstice but not the summer solstice, and the spring and fall equinoxes are not a big deal for me. The pagan elements of Easter and the Christian ones are just things that don't register much with me, for some reason.

I did accept the lunch invite to be with friends, but Easter is just the pretense for the lunch and I would be hanging with some of the same people on most Sundays whether there was a lunch or not.

I'm Christian, but I'm not big on celebrating any holidays. I think part of the theology is that you are supposed to be celebrating them in your heart 24/7 everyday of the year. Most of the established Christian holidays are celebrations co-opted from pagan religions anyway just to recruit people to the church. I'll go to church tomorrow like I do every Sunday (the only difference is that I'll curse about not being able to find a parking space or a seat in the pews). Later we will have some friends over and have a nice big meal. It will be nice seeing the friends, but we probably won't spend a lot of time talking about Christ (my buddy is an agnostic).

Quote:My answers - I am an agnostic. I have friends who are believers (most, but not all, Christians) whom I respect and friends who are atheists whom I respect. Funny thing is it is the same thing that annoys me about both groups - but that is another topic for another thread.

I suspect the great majority of Americans are actually agnostic, despite what they claim to be (Christian, atheist, etc.).

I appreciate anyone who is willing to stand up and say they are agnostic. IMO it is what most actually believe and practice anyway.

RE: Easter - Belsnickel - 03-27-2016

(03-27-2016, 01:35 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I suspect the great majority of Americans are actually agnostic, despite what they claim to be (Christian, atheist, etc.).

I appreciate anyone who is willing to stand up and say they are agnostic. IMO it is what most actually believe and practice anyway.

My wife is agnostic, but she likes the ritual and traditions. The nice thing is that the way the ELCA has been going lately is they welcome all to their services. They don't try to actively convert you, they don't say they are responsible for your faith. They are responsible for what you hear when you are there. We have several people that attend regularly that are not believers but they like the message, the community, and the ritual.

RE: Easter - xxlt - 03-27-2016

(03-26-2016, 11:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No you didn't. Your entire OP was to down play the significance of Easter .  Your "thoughts" were you don't care about the Holiday; yet will indulge your friends on the day.  If you want to profess why you truly started the thread; then just say so. I suppose you can expect other adults to believe it is because you are just curious. 

Keep you expectations high for those pre-K folk. 

I couldn't find one about your psychic powers, but here's a song for you to enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AilZdfQ9GCU

RE: Easter - xxlt - 03-27-2016

(03-27-2016, 01:35 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I'm Christian, but I'm not big on celebrating any holidays. I think part of the theology is that you are supposed to be celebrating them in your heart 24/7 everyday of the year. Most of the established Christian holidays are celebrations co-opted from pagan religions anyway just to recruit people to the church. I'll go to church tomorrow like I do every Sunday (the only difference is that I'll curse about not being able to find a parking space or a seat in the pews). Later we will have some friends over and have a nice big meal. It will be nice seeing the friends, but we probably won't spend a lot of time talking about Christ (my buddy is an agnostic).

I suspect the great majority of Americans are actually agnostic, despite what they claim to be (Christian, atheist, etc.).

:heart: :heart: :heart:

LOL about the parking. Does a true Christian, out of a sense of sacrifice for his brothers and sisters, stay home some Easters just to relieve the parking and seating issue? Pull an Emily Dickinson and keep the Sabbath staying at home? I have heard ministers joke about it on Xmas and Easter - looking out at the church and thinking, "Who are all these people, and what are they doing here?"

And, I guess that phenomenon sort of supports your thoughts on what the majority really is - although I really never thought about it that way.

Thanks for, as usual, answering the OP inquiry with an insightful post.