Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Ask Jim Owczarski - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Ask Jim Owczarski (/Thread-Ask-Jim-Owczarski)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Cure4CF - 09-18-2015

(09-18-2015, 09:27 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Ogbuehi seems more built for pass protection more so than run blocking.  I'm interested in his blocking in space too.  I just don't see him making all that big of an impact this year.  More likely they'll ease him into the OT role along with Fisher at guard.  I just don't see them signing both Whitworth and Smith.  One of them, but not both.

The same for Nelson and Iloka.  One of them.  Williams seems to be the heir apparent.

We sign our own and that is why we don't sign big time free agents.  @Least that's what I've heard.  Jim, would you mind putting your input on this subject matter?  (This is not directed at you in anyway Eaton! You just brought up a debate we all have every year.)

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 09-19-2015

Signing their own stars have been the model of late, beginning with Atkins on to Burfict/Dalton and now Green. I honestly can't say what the issue is with Iloka (Nelson is on the wrong side of 30, so that makes sense to let it play out in a way). I can tell you Iloka wanted to get an extension - but I think this Green thing took way longer than the Bengals would have hoped. I mean, it literally came down to the last 90 minutes before they got on the bus to Oakland - and it's hard to negotiate other guarantees if you don't know what Green was going to command.

As for Ogbuehi/Fisher - without a doubt they were drafted as potential replacements. Fisher could play guard, too. They definitely view Ogbuehi as a left tackle of the future. They have a little bit of leverage with Whit - I really believe he wants to be here, and he's older, even for a tackle. The question is, as always, the open market. What if a contender who needs a 1 year stop gap comes calling? Is the "one team for a career" thing important, or could chasing a ring be worth it.

Smith would be open to returning as well - but if he has another good year for all 16 games, he could get a 4-5 year deal at his age. I don't know if it's "ideal" to start, essentially, a rookie LT and a 1st year guy at RT next year if they make a deep run, but it's the NFL - teams have to move on at some point and they can't sign everyone.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 09-20-2015

We, as fans, know that there are several players that have "dings". Who has the worst injuries currently?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Brownshoe - 09-21-2015

What's the chances of us picking up Jaylon Smith in the draft next year. We need another legit LB lol.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - bfine32 - 09-22-2015

Have we worked out anybody on either of the 1st two Tuesdays?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Luvnit2 - 09-23-2015

(09-21-2015, 02:05 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: What's the chances of us picking up Jaylon Smith in the draft next year. We need another legit LB lol.

I love Jaylon Smith. He is going to be a stud if he stays healthy. The issue is he is a true 3 down LBER and can do it all so likely top 5 or top 10 pick. I hope based on record we are nowhere close to that high a 1st round pick.

But, he is the type of LB we need and a player I would trade up to get, I think he will be a huge difference maker in the NFL.

Jim. I enjoy your comments and articles.

We seem relatively healthy (knock on wood) so far, but as Bfine asked, I too am wondering if we are working out anyone on Tuesdays.

Also, Alford has yet to be active. Do you think we will see him active in 2015 if our skilled set of WR's and TE's stay healthy?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Brownshoe - 09-23-2015

(09-23-2015, 10:09 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love Jaylon Smith. He is going to be a stud if he stays healthy. The issue is he is a true 3 down LBER and can do it all so likely top 5 or top 10 pick. I hope based on record we are nowhere close to that high a 1st round pick.

But, he is the type of LB we need and a player I would trade up to get, I think he will be a huge difference maker in the NFL.

We seem relatively healthy (knock on wood) so far, but as Bfine asked, I too am wondering if we are working out anyone on Tuesdays.

Also, Alford has yet to be active. Do you think we will see him active in 2015 if our skilled set of WR's and TE's stay healthy?

Yeah I doubt that he will be around for the 32nd pick. If we drafted him it would most likely be from a trade, and I don't see that happening.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 09-23-2015

(09-23-2015, 10:09 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love Jaylon Smith. He is going to be a stud if he stays healthy. The issue is he is a true 3 down LBER and can do it all so likely top 5 or top 10 pick. I hope based on record we are nowhere close to that high a 1st round pick.

On Alford:  I'd say Little who has also been inactive may get the nod over Alford unless there's an injury to Jones and we need a returner.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 09-23-2015

Man, I have no idea about any college dudes. Check back with me on that one in like March :-)

I would think GLittle would get the first call off the bench if a true WR was needed.

As for my previous comment on Whit - pure conjecture when I wrote it. What I know as fact is both sides would like to work something out. ...

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - BengalChris - 09-23-2015

(09-23-2015, 10:36 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Man, I have no idea about any college dudes. Check back with me on that one in like March :-)

I would think GLittle would get the first call off the bench if a true WR was needed.

As for my previous comment on Whit - pure conjecture when I wrote it. What I know as fact is both sides would like to work something out. ...

I would think that Whit and the Bengals would like him to be back for another year or two. Really not excited about starting Og and Fisher at the tackles spots next year.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - BURROWorBUST - 09-28-2015

Great postgame wrap-up with Paul D.

I have to say that Andy Dalton has been making passes this year that I've never seen him make before. He looks like a different QB and not just because we're winning, but he's just become a better passer.

We'll have to see where he is in the QB rankings chart at the start of next season. He's giving me reason to hope that we might see him break into the Top 10.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Mike M (the other one) - 10-03-2015

(09-28-2015, 01:10 AM)Shady Wrote: Great postgame wrap-up with Paul D.

I have to say that Andy Dalton has been making passes this year that I've never seen him make before. He looks like a different QB and not just because we're winning, but he's just become a better passer.

We'll have to see where he is in the QB rankings chart at the start of next season. He's giving me reason to hope that we might see him break into the Top 10.

Well with all the injuries to the guys normally in the top 10, it's not impossible for AD to finish in the top 10. 
I'm not a big AD supporter, but He has been playing very well, and I hope he keeps it going (the whole team for that matter).

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-03-2015

I can't help to think what this team's ceiling would be with an elite QB. Don't get me wrong -- Andy is a very solid QB who has some great moments (and some not-so-great ones). I think anyone looking at the talent level on this team has to wonder.

If Andy continues on his improvement he could morph into a top 5 and that's in that elite range. You look at Peyton Mannings' numbers and something clicked on for him about year 5.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - RoyleRedlegs - 10-03-2015

(10-03-2015, 12:14 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I can't help to think what this team's ceiling would be with an elite QB.  Don't get me wrong -- Andy is a very solid QB who has some great moments (and some not-so-great ones).  I think anyone looking at the talent level on this team has to wonder.

If Andy continues on his improvement he could morph into a top 5 and that's in that elite range.  You look at Peyton Mannings' numbers and something clicked on for him about year 5.

Finding an elite QB while also having amassed the talent this roster has would be incredibly difficult. 

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-03-2015

True.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - XenoMorph - 10-05-2015

(10-03-2015, 12:14 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I can't help to think what this team's ceiling would be with an elite QB. Don't get me wrong -- Andy is a very solid QB who has some great moments (and some not-so-great ones). I think anyone looking at the talent level on this team has to wonder.

If Andy continues on his improvement he could morph into a top 5 and that's in that elite range. You look at Peyton Mannings' numbers and something clicked on for him about year 5.

so far this year i would says thru 4 games dalton has been an elite QB

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-06-2015

(10-05-2015, 04:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: so far this year i would says thru 4 games dalton has been an elite QB

For sure.  I'd take this Andy for the rest of his Bengals career!

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - JADefense - 10-06-2015

(10-03-2015, 12:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Finding an elite QB while also having amassed the talent this roster has would be incredibly difficult. 

Why not look in front of Dalton's locker ?

Wink

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-07-2015

Any rumors as to who they will release once Burflict is back? Same for Ogbuehi?

I would guess that the coaches have not found anyone that is worthy of working out (given we're past week 1) for O-line depth? Any feedback there would be appreciated.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - fredtoast - 10-07-2015

(10-07-2015, 01:25 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Any rumors as to who they will release once Burflict is back?  Same for Ogbuehi?  

Way too early to think about this.  

It will depend on who gets hurt before Burfict returns.