Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Ask Jim Owczarski - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Ask Jim Owczarski (/Thread-Ask-Jim-Owczarski)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-07-2015

(10-07-2015, 01:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Way too early to think about this.  

It will depend on who gets hurt before Burfict returns.

And if no one gets hurt?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - fredtoast - 10-07-2015

(10-07-2015, 09:04 AM)EatonFan Wrote: And if no one gets hurt?

Little is the first one gone.

Then Hunt.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Luvnit2 - 10-08-2015

I know Burfict and Ogbuehi will be eligible to return after week 6. I believe we then have a 3 week window to make the decision to activate them. I also know they can't start practicing until after week 6.

The question is have you seen either one working out with the trainers to get a feel on where they are right now? This could work in our favor having our bye after week 6 as this gives both of them one more week to be ready to roll.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - RoyleRedlegs - 10-08-2015

(10-08-2015, 04:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know Burfict and Ogbuehi will be eligible to return after week 6. I believe we then have a 3 week window to make the decision to activate them. I also know they can't start practicing until after week 6.

The question is have you seen either one working out with the trainers to get a feel on where they are right now? This could work in our favor having our bye after week 6 as this gives both of them one more week to be ready to roll.

They have both been on the rehab field. 

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Luvnit2 - 10-08-2015

(10-08-2015, 04:20 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: They have both been on the rehab field. 

I know

My question is to Jim on his thoughts on how they are progressing in his opinion.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - RoyleRedlegs - 10-08-2015

(10-08-2015, 04:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know

My question is to Jim on his thoughts on how they are progressing in his opinion.

That wasn't what you asked....you asked where they were practicing....

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Luvnit2 - 10-09-2015

(10-08-2015, 04:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know Burfict and Ogbuehi will be eligible to return after week 6. I believe we then have a 3 week window to make the decision to activate them. I also know they can't start practicing until after week 6.

(10-08-2015, 09:18 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That wasn't what you asked....you asked where they were practicing....

????????????

I stated they can't start practicing until after week 6.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 10-09-2015

Yes, they are all working with trainers on a daily basis. The key distinction is that the clock doesn't start ticking until they actually "practice." Once they formally practice, they then need to make a roster decision - either to bring them on, or put them on season-ending IR.

What helps the Bengals is that they are eligible when the bye week rolls around. The facility is "closed." No practices can be had. But I wouldn't doubt that the guys are pushed hard that week to see exactly where they're at.

Ogbuehi - assuming health on the o-line, they'll extend his PUP stay as long as possible. I can't say that he couldn't do what Fisher does as that 6th lineman in terms of catching passes and blocking athletically, but at this point, he's so far behind in all that stuff it'd be foolish to think they could just throw him in and have it happen.

Burfict - the one everyone cares about. Back when they put him on PUP, Marvin - interestingly - spoke about a timeline, saying he felt this meant Tez would be 100% ready to go for the Steelers. Tez told me the same thing, with the qualifier that he probably couldn't play 70 snaps not having played in a year.

As for the roster spot - great question. Assuming health across the board and no trade, I'd sacrifice an offensive spot i.e. Greg Little over the defensive line (yes, even Mr. Hunt) or Chris Lewis-Harris. This could be a far harder decision than they anticipated. Could you imagine going into the bye week and never having to put a guy on IR? Rare thing nowadays...

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Vas Deferens - 10-09-2015

(10-09-2015, 12:24 PM)jowczarski Wrote: As for the roster spot - great question. Assuming health across the board and no trade, I'd sacrifice an offensive spot i.e. Greg Little over the defensive line (yes, even Mr. Hunt) or Chris Lewis-Harris. This could be a far harder decision than they anticipated. Could you imagine going into the bye week and never having to put a guy on IR? Rare thing nowadays...

I think this is the right call.  Great problem to have obviously.

Thanks JIM!

(10-09-2015, 12:24 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Yes, they are all working with trainers on a daily basis. The key distinction is that the clock doesn't start ticking until they actually "practice." Once they formally practice, they then need to make a roster decision - either to bring them on, or put them on season-ending IR.

What helps the Bengals is that they are eligible when the bye week rolls around. The facility is "closed." No practices can be had. But I wouldn't doubt that the guys are pushed hard that week to see exactly where they're at.

Ogbuehi - assuming health on the o-line, they'll extend his PUP stay as long as possible. I can't say that he couldn't do what Fisher does as that 6th lineman in terms of catching passes and blocking athletically, but at this point, he's so far behind in all that stuff it'd be foolish to think they could just throw him in and have it happen.

Burfict - the one everyone cares about. Back when they put him on PUP, Marvin - interestingly - spoke about a timeline, saying he felt this meant Tez would be 100% ready to go for the Steelers. Tez told me the same thing, with the qualifier that he probably couldn't play 70 snaps not having played in a year.

As for the roster spot - great question. Assuming health across the board and no trade, I'd sacrifice an offensive spot i.e. Greg Little over the defensive line (yes, even Mr. Hunt) or Chris Lewis-Harris. This could be a far harder decision than they anticipated. Could you imagine going into the bye week and never having to put a guy on IR? Rare thing nowadays...

TY for the update

I agree, it is rare to be lucky enough to date to have no one go on the IR. Man, I hope the luck continues as I don't want anyone hurt.

I would think if Little was the guy to grab a roster spot, the Bengals would be shopping him to the many needy WR teams, a 7th round future pick beats no compensation.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - djs7685 - 10-09-2015

(10-09-2015, 01:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: TY for the update

I agree, it is rare to be lucky enough to date to have no one go on the IR. Man, I hope the luck continues as I don't want anyone hurt.

I would think if Little was the guy to grab a roster spot, the Bengals would be shopping him to the many needy WR teams, a 7th round future pick beats no compensation.

Teams have had plenty of chances to pick up Little while giving up no picks in the past.

I don't see anything that he's done since then to warrant someone offering up a draft pick in any round.

(10-09-2015, 01:15 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Teams have had plenty of chances to pick up Little while giving up no picks in the past.

I don't see anything that he's done since then to warrant someone offering up a draft pick in any round.

You may be correct, but if a team wants him and feels if cut he would be wanted by another team or 2, it may be worth a 7th round pick in 2016 or 2017

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - fredtoast - 10-09-2015

(10-09-2015, 01:15 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Teams have had plenty of chances to pick up Little while giving up no picks in the past.

Teams that were not interested before might take another look if they lose a couple of WRs to injury.

That is why we ended up signing him in the middle of last year.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-13-2015

As far as I know we still don't have any real significant injuries. (Knock on wood)

I love that we're firing with all our weapons and Dalton playing out of his mind. This has been a great season so far.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - MaineBengal - 10-13-2015

How bad is Jeremy Hill's knee? Is it a factor in his lack of productivity so far (if such can be said for someone 2nd in the NFL in rushing TDs)?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - MaineBengal - 10-14-2015

Also, I haven't seen anyone writing about Leon Hall's reduced snaps against Seattle. DD got more than normal. What's the story there? They were talking about getting DD more snaps, did he take them away from Leon?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - fredtoast - 10-14-2015

Is Brandon Tate doing what Marvin tells him to do when he decides which licks to return?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - BengalChris - 10-15-2015

(10-14-2015, 08:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is Brandon Tate doing what Marvin tells him to do when he decides which licks to return?

Good question. I've been wondering that myself.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 10-15-2015

Ya, I think Tate did that on his own (based on how I understood Simmons). Not sure we'll see that again. Hall tweaked his back vs. Seattle. He didn't practice today, along with other vets (Pac, Whit & Tate). We'll see what happens the next couple days. The Hill thing is interesting because he's on the report, but he hasn't missed any practice. He still starts. Honestly, I think he'll break out after the bye. The matchups have been awful and - while he's been a bit tentative, or trying to break off too much - Hue just doesn't care. If Gio is hot, or if Gio is the better matchup, that's where goes. If they come out Sunday and pound the ball down the field with 32, then he'll stay in. I honestly think it's as simple as that right now.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Vas Deferens - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 12:38 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Ya, I think Tate did that on his own (based on how I understood Simmons). Not sure we'll see that again.  

God I hope not.   Thanks for the insight as always.