Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Ask Jim Owczarski - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Ask Jim Owczarski (/Thread-Ask-Jim-Owczarski)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-15-2015

(10-14-2015, 08:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is Brandon Tate doing what Marvin tells him to do when he decides which licks to return?

You'd think after the first two he'd have kneed it.  It's obvious he thought he could replicate his biggest return (against Seattle the last time the teams played).

Professional athletes have egos and long memories of their biggest plays.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-16-2015

When an opposing team picks up a former player (Josh Johnson for the Bills for example), to what length do coaches attempt to disguise plays or outright change them? I would think that constant change of the playbook would really confuse the players.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - 3wt - 10-16-2015

(10-15-2015, 12:38 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Ya, I think Tate did that on his own (based on how I understood Simmons). Not sure we'll see that again. Hall tweaked his back vs. Seattle. He didn't practice today, along with other vets (Pac, Whit & Tate). We'll see what happens the next couple days. The Hill thing is interesting because he's on the report, but he hasn't missed any practice. He still starts. Honestly, I think he'll break out after the bye. The matchups have been awful and - while he's been a bit tentative, or trying to break off too much - Hue just doesn't care. If Gio is hot, or if Gio is the better matchup, that's where goes. If they come out Sunday and pound the ball down the field with 32, then he'll stay in. I honestly think it's as simple as that right now.

Dave Lapham hypothesized that Hill might not be right physically.  Do you have any info on that (you mentioned him being on report).  And if he has some sort of injury wouldn't it make sense to shelve him so he can heal up?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - rfaulk34 - 10-16-2015

(10-16-2015, 03:25 PM)3wt Wrote: Dave Lapham hypothesized that Hill might not be right physically.  Do you have any info on that (you mentioned him being on report).  And if he has some sort of injury wouldn't it make sense to shelve him so he can heal up?

Lapham said today that Hill was running much better in practice and hitting holes harder. 

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 10-16-2015

I imagine there is something to teams signing players from future opponents or they wouldn't do it. But Johnson was cut a long time ago and teams change things up weekly thanks to all of the sound that is recorded and all the video that is available.

We're not allowed to see practice, but Lap is. I'm not sure whether an injury has anything to do with hitting holes harder. Perhaps the knee bothered him more than he's let on, but Hill has tried dancing a bit. Is that because he was dinged up? Or because he's tried to do too much? I know there's a thought it's the latter.... Honestly I think the matchups have been awful. I guess we'll see Sunday - but I think things might open up a bit more for him after the bye. Matchup related, or health related? Honestly, those things aren't really discussed until the offseason. If a guy isn't hurt enough to miss games, he won't admit in season he's bothered by it.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - rfaulk34 - 10-16-2015

(10-16-2015, 08:26 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I imagine there is something to teams signing players from future opponents or they wouldn't do it. But Johnson was cut a long time ago and teams change things up weekly thanks to all of the sound that is recorded and all the video that is available.

We're not allowed to see practice, but Lap is. I'm not sure whether an injury has anything to do with hitting holes harder. Perhaps the knee bothered him more than he's let on, but Hill has tried dancing a bit. Is that because he was dinged up? Or because he's tried to do too much? I know there's a thought it's the latter.... Honestly I think the matchups have been awful. I guess we'll see Sunday - but I think things might open up a bit more for him after the bye. Matchup related, or health related? Honestly, those things aren't really discussed until the offseason. If a guy isn't hurt enough to miss games, he won't admit in season he's bothered by it.

The impression i had was that the knee may have felt a little weak after the twist, but the bigger reason seemed to be him focusing so much on not fumbling that it was affecting how hard he runs. 

Hopefully, the knee and his head are coming around at the same time and he gets back to what he's capable of doing.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-20-2015

I saw where Hue said he did better this last game (Buffalo) but he really wants him to run more north and south. That's more of Hill's game.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Marlon23 - 10-20-2015

Great Questions Guys NICE!!!!

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-23-2015

Based upon preseason Fisher appeared to be well behind as far as progress than the top 5-6 lineman. He seems to have improved some but how close is he to being or even surpassing anyone on the line? Or at least being the "first one off the bench" as the coaches were hoping for?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 10-27-2015

(10-23-2015, 11:05 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Based upon preseason Fisher appeared to be well behind as far as progress than the top 5-6 lineman.  He seems to have improved some but how close is he to being or even surpassing anyone on the line?  Or at least being the "first one off the bench" as the coaches were hoping for?

Ya, Winston is clearly the first one off the bench - I think Smith missed a few snaps in one game, and Zeitler a couple here and there. I think this team prefers those veterans. So even with Fisher getting some more trust he's not quite there yet. He won't "overtake" anyone this year - the group is playing too well together. Right now, the way the contracts are set up, the only "open" position in 2016 would be if Smith walks away. And Fisher would have the edge in that job considering Ogbuehi would not have played (or played much) to that point. I think they envision him as the RT of the future anyway. 

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - fredtoast - 10-29-2015

Are opposing defenses playing the Bengals any differently when Hill is in the game. There could be different reads or adjustments that most of us would never notice.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - J24 - 10-29-2015

Have you ever thought about doing the Meow game(super troopers) with players in the locker room?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 10-30-2015

I haven't gone back and looked at the personnel groupings with Hill, but generally speaking teams trot out their defensive packages based more on down and distance and if there is a third or fourth receiver across from them. 1st and 10 from the 20 in the first quarter is probably going to get a base defense look, whether Bernard or Hill is behind Dalton.

And no, no Meow game. (No idea what that is) but no. :-)

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-30-2015

Rumor has it that Burflict will play this Sunday vs. PIT. Have you seen any of his workouts? And if so, is he looking good (ready)?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Mickeypoo - 10-30-2015

You are missing out Jim!!!!!   lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXPeLctgvQI

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 10-30-2015

(10-30-2015, 03:42 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Rumor has it that Burflict will play this Sunday vs. PIT.  Have you seen any of his workouts?  And if so, is he looking good (ready)?

Heh. I'm in the room for all the "rumors."

Tez told us he felt good after his workout Thursday. He practiced today. He'll likely practice Saturday (which we cannot see). Unfortunately, when the season begins, we're not allowed to see practice past about 20 minutes - which is only special teams and warmups. So we have no idea how he's looked. 

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 10-30-2015

I hadn't read the Bengals.com front article.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Looks-like-he-never-missed-any-time/f7345586-d368-4720-88d8-5bdcef48b243

Really sounds like he's hungry to be on the field.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - StLucieBengal - 10-31-2015

(10-30-2015, 03:35 PM)jowczarski Wrote: And no, no Meow game. (No idea what that is) but no. :-)

Enjoy

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - XenoMorph - 11-02-2015

Is dunlap okay? i dont remember him returning to the field after being helped off it... But i could have just not noticed.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - MaineBengal - 11-02-2015

(11-02-2015, 02:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Is dunlap okay? i dont remember him returning to the field after being helped off it... But i could have just not noticed.

Dunlap came back to play on the last drive of the game.