Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Ask Jim Owczarski - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Ask Jim Owczarski (/Thread-Ask-Jim-Owczarski)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - fredtoast - 11-02-2015

Hue is getting a lot of criticism for abandoning the run against the Steelers. Since he has not done this inother games I assume this wa not just a whim and Hue had a good reason for throwing almost every play.

Any info on what the Steelers were doing or what their defense was showing that explains why we threw the ball so much?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - kdgjr - 11-02-2015

GREAT question.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - MaineBengal - 11-02-2015

Yeah, I look forward to the "inside" response on that.

My guess is that it was part gameplan.... I'm sure Hue knew PIT was gonna blitz a lot. So short out passes are in the cards. I also think it was part circumstances of the game. For instance, every time it seemed like we were trying to get back into a running rhythm, there was a bonehead holding penalty or bad snap and we were in 2nd & 25 or 3rd & 17 or whatnot. Kinda hard to run under those conditions.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 11-02-2015

As a follow up to that question, was Dalton the guy who made a lot of those pass calls with perhaps two plays called coming to the line -- one a pass and the other a run. I know Hue gives him full control out there, but geesh. The run/pass ratio was a bit light on the run side.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - fredtoast - 11-02-2015

(11-02-2015, 07:31 PM)EatonFan Wrote: As a follow up to that question, was Dalton the guy who made a lot of those pass calls with perhaps two plays called coming to the line -- one a pass and the other a run.  I know Hue gives him full control out there, but geesh.  The run/pass ratio was a bit light on the run side.

Even when Dalton is given the ability to call the play it is based on the scheme that hue puts in place.  In other words Dalton may make the call, but it is based on what Hue has told him to do.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 11-02-2015

(11-02-2015, 07:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even when Dalton is given the ability to call the play it is based on the scheme that hue puts in place.  In other words Dalton may make the call, but it is based on what Hue has told him to do.

Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  We really don't know how much leeway Dalton is given.  According to what I've read, it's pretty much full control.  Hue has come out and said if Andy changes the play, then so be it.  He might ask why and if Dalton answers with logical cues the D is giving he's fine with the change -- especially if it's successful.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 11-02-2015

(11-02-2015, 08:01 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  We really don't know how much leeway Dalton is given.  According to what I've read, it's pretty much full control.  Hue has come out and said if Andy changes the play, then so be it.  He might ask why and if Dalton answers with logical cues the D is giving he's fine with the change -- especially if it's successful.

Great questions all - today was a little hectic. I'll try to get to this tomorrow (Wed they're off). Even if we bleed into next week (team is off after the game, basically) I can find out then, too. 

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - J24 - 11-04-2015

Do you see Shawn Williams getting more playing time?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - fredtoast - 11-04-2015

(10-29-2015, 11:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Are opposing defenses playing the Bengals any differently when Hill is in the game.  There could be different reads or adjustments that most of us would never notice.

(10-30-2015, 03:35 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I haven't gone back and looked at the personnel groupings with Hill, but generally speaking teams trot out their defensive packages based more on down and distance and if there is a third or fourth receiver across from them. 1st and 10 from the 20 in the first quarter is probably going to get a base defense look, whether Bernard or Hill is behind Dalton.

I didn't mean different personnel groups.  I was talking about more subtle differences.  Perhaps the safety plays a step closer to the line, or maybe the edge defenders  (OLBs DEs) play in tighter instead of worrying as much about pass rush angles.

These are the type of things that fans would never notice, but coaches would pick up on film.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - BengalChris - 11-04-2015

(11-02-2015, 07:31 PM)EatonFan Wrote: As a follow up to that question, was Dalton the guy who made a lot of those pass calls with perhaps two plays called coming to the line -- one a pass and the other a run.  I know Hue gives him full control out there, but geesh.  The run/pass ratio was a bit light on the run side.

I don't think Dalton gets to call plays the way you think. Hue sends in the plays along with the personnel groupings, Dalton can change out of the play if he sees something to take advantage of, as can most any starting QBs in the league. Has to have the personnel on the field to for that particular play though.

We aren't talking Payton Manning when he was at Indy and basically running the offensive show from the QB position.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 11-10-2015

Ya Andy can do whatever he wants at the line, I'm sure within a certain set of calls for that personnel group. That's one of those things where Hue or Andy won't say how many checks he has on any particular play, but he can pretty much change in and out of things as he sees fit. As for Pittsburgh, they weren't going to get beat deep. They gave 10-yard cushions to the Bengals receivers on most plays, and I think the decisions to go short were based off that.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - XenoMorph - 11-10-2015

Who is on the outside looking in with Porter and our 1st rounder starting to practice.

Do you see Hewitt becoming more involved in the passing game

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Au165 - 11-11-2015

Jim,

Fredtoast thinks it is a good idea to teach TE C.J. Uzomah how to press and cover in two months and have him try and cover Gronkowski in the playoffs. Can you please explain to Fred how bad of an idea this is?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - fredtoast - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 12:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: Jim,

Fredtoast thinks it is a good idea to teach TE C.J. Uzomah how to press and cover in two months and have him try and cover Gronkowski in the playoffs. Can you please explain to Fred how bad of an idea this is?

http://bengalsboard.net/Thread-What-I-would-do-with-C-J-Uzomah

Genius is often unappreciated.  

They laughed at Einstein too when he first said the world was not flat.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Go Cards - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 01:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Is it true that Tyler Kroft has a third nipple?

This is a bad question. 

Have a friend with 3 nipples though. 

Still bad.  

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 11-11-2015

Ha!
No, C.J. Uzomah will not learn how to play press coverage just for an AFC title game matchup with Gronk. I would expect George Iloka to draw that assignment when the time comes, or if they decide to go with the 3-safety look, Iloka and Williams. Also, don't forget Lamur. His one strong suit, believe it or not, is press coverage. A converted safety, they could have him do that with Iloka over the top.

Hewitt: He won't be "more" involved. I think if he sees a pass or two it's just the way the check emerges, like in Buffalo.

Ogbuehi: I think Lewis-Harris is the odd man out for him. He's the only other veteran who is regularly inactive (like Little was).

Porter: This is the tough one. His fate might rest on an unforseen IR designation elsewhere in the next three weeks. I can't see them cutting a d-lineman or a rookie for him, which after CLH is all that's left on the regular inactive list.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - XenoMorph - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 04:20 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Porter: This is the tough one. His fate might rest on an unforseen IR designation elsewhere in the next three weeks. I can't see them cutting a d-lineman or a rookie for him, which after CLH is all that's left on the regular inactive list.

C.J. Uzomah or Alford i think could be stashed on the Practice squad if we chose to go that way... Uzomah maybe easier cause of a poor preseason showing and cause of alfords speed

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 11-11-2015

XenoMorph - neither would be able to get through to the PS, in my opinion. With so many injuries across the league, those guys would get signed to a 53 man roster immediately.

By the way, I included a question from y'all in my Walkthru the other day.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 11-12-2015

I would agree that Uzo would likely be the cut. A tough one no doubt. Anyone cut from this 53 man roster would be a pretty tough one.

Is there a buzz phrase that the players say around the locker room? I know Marvin has done a few over the years such as "do your job".

Also, do the guys just kind of know which matchups are going to be the more important ones in the next game or do the coaches emphasize those? (I think everyone can see the JJ Watt matchup as being big vs. Houston). If a player is going to be a big part of that matchup do the coaches coach them up more than normal?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - XenoMorph - 11-12-2015

(11-11-2015, 11:41 PM)jowczarski Wrote: XenoMorph - neither would be able to get through to the PS, in my opinion. With so many injuries across the league, those guys would get signed to a 53 man roster immediately.

By the way, I included a question from y'all in my Walkthru the other day.

maybe but he didnt do anything in preseason for me to see that warrents a roster spot even inactive. i see the potential But the highlights i remember from him were drops. That doesnt get you a job very fast. plus there has to be some guys out there with experience playing that would get called first. the TE we have on our PS looked better imho