Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Ask Jim Owczarski - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Ask Jim Owczarski (/Thread-Ask-Jim-Owczarski)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 11-13-2015

Which team who has started 8-0 going back to the first Superbowl (50 years) are the Bengals the most similar to?

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/11/8/9684200/how-does-bengals-8-0-record-rank-among-best-all-time-nfl-starts

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - fredtoast - 11-13-2015

(11-13-2015, 01:50 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Which team who has started 8-0 going back to the first Superbowl (50 years) are the Bengals the most similar to?

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/11/8/9684200/how-does-bengals-8-0-record-rank-among-best-all-time-nfl-starts

Start athread on this.  I have the perfect answer.

2012 Falcons.  They had a top 10 scoring offense and defense, but there D gave up a lot of yards.

Matt Ryan was in his fifth season as a starter, and even though he had put up good numbers (14K yds, 95 td, 88.4 rating) and won a lot of games (43 in first 4 years) he still was not considered elite because he had never won a playoff game.  Falcons finished 13-3, win a playoff game, but lose Conference Championship Game.  Ryan had a career season (4700 yds, 32 tds, 99.1 rating)

Funny thing is that the Falcons are 16-25 since then.   Confused

Not saying that is what is going to happen here.

Just saying that it has happened before.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - BengalChris - 11-13-2015

(11-13-2015, 02:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Start athread on this.  I have the perfect answer.

2012 Falcons.  They had a top 10 scoring offense and defense, but there D gave up a lot of yards.

Matt Ryan was in his fifth season as a starter, and even though he had put up good numbers (14K yds, 95 td, 88.4 rating) and won a lot of games (43 in first 4 years) he still was not considered elite because he had never won a playoff game.  Falcons finished 13-3, win a playoff game, but lose Conference Championship Game.  Ryan had a career season (4700 yds, 32 tds, 99.1 rating)

Funny thing is that the Falcons are 16-25 since then.   Confused

Not saying that is what is going to happen here.

Just saying that it has happened before.

Hum, I believe you are correct. But I hope the Bengals blaze their own trail.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - XenoMorph - 11-13-2015

A Question that doesnt really matter but just for fun.

Who on the team would you least want to meet in a dark alley.

And Who has the biggest Bicept.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 11-14-2015

Is there a buzz phrase that the players say around the locker room? I know Marvin has done a few over the years such as "do your job".

“Revival” is the theme of this year’s team, but ‘do your job’ remains.

Also, do the guys just kind of know which matchups are going to be the more important ones in the next game or do the coaches emphasize those? (I think everyone can see the JJ Watt matchup as being big vs. Houston). If a player is going to be a big part of that matchup do the coaches coach them up more than normal?

They know the names and how good they are, but there isn’t really an additional focus of any kind. They’ll help if needed – but they rarely gave Andre Smith or Marshall Newhouse much help vs. J.J. Watt last year. Guys like Justin Houston or Michael Bennett or Khalil Mack get their respect but honestly – and it’s cliché – but they feel what they do has got them there, so they’ll just do that and expect it to be good enough. Now, they’re not dumb enough to let one of those guys beat them, so you’ll see help in scheme, maybe quicker drops and passes, chips, a back sliding over, etc. But week to week, they all feel their matchup is the big one that can win the game.

maybe but (Uzomah) didnt do anything in preseason for me to see that warrents a roster spot even inactive. i see the potential But the highlights i remember from him were drops. That doesnt get you a job very fast. plus there has to be some guys out there with experience playing that would get called first. the TE we have on our PS looked better imho

Uzomah is a project and he’s way better than Lengel. They’re doing him a solid keeping him on the practice squad. They won’t a drafted rookie this year. And he doesn’t have to get a job quickly – they’ll sit on him for three years like Kirkpatrick, or Dennard, if warranted.

Not going there, but we did ask the kicker, the punter and the long snapper a similar question in a poll of the locker room on for a family feud-style game on Beyond The Stripes. It’s at the 44:24 mark of the video, if you’re impatient!

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - BURROWorBUST - 11-14-2015

(11-14-2015, 01:37 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Who on the team would you least want to meet in a dark alley.

If I'm an intoxicated underaged female? 

I think we all know the answer to that. 

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 11-14-2015

(11-14-2015, 01:37 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Is there a buzz phrase that the players say around the locker room? I know Marvin has done a few over the years such as "do your job".

“Revival” is the theme of this year’s team, but ‘do your job’ remains.

Also, do the guys just kind of know which matchups are going to be the more important ones in the next game or do the coaches emphasize those? (I think everyone can see the JJ Watt matchup as being big vs. Houston). If a player is going to be a big part of that matchup do the coaches coach them up more than normal?

They know the names and how good they are, but there isn’t really an additional focus of any kind. They’ll help if needed – but they rarely gave Andre Smith or Marshall Newhouse much help vs. J.J. Watt last year. Guys like Justin Houston or Michael Bennett or Khalil Mack get their respect but honestly – and it’s cliché – but they feel what they do has got them there, so they’ll just do that and expect it to be good enough. Now, they’re not dumb enough to let one of those guys beat them, so you’ll see help in scheme, maybe quicker drops and passes, chips, a back sliding over, etc. But week to week, they all feel their matchup is the big one that can win the game.

maybe but (Uzomah) didnt do anything in preseason for me to see that warrents a roster spot even inactive. i see the potential But the highlights i remember from him were drops. That doesnt get you a job very fast. plus there has to be some guys out there with experience playing that would get called first. the TE we have on our PS looked better imho

Uzomah is a project and he’s way better than Lengel. They’re doing him a solid keeping him on the practice squad. They won’t a drafted rookie this year. And he doesn’t have to get a job quickly – they’ll sit on him for three years like Kirkpatrick, or Dennard, if warranted.

Not going there, but we did ask the kicker, the punter and the long snapper a similar question in a poll of the locker room on for a family feud-style game on Beyond The Stripes. It’s at the 44:24 mark of the video, if you’re impatient!

A bit surprised by that answer but I can see it.  They have pride in their position.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - XenoMorph - 11-16-2015

(11-14-2015, 02:23 AM)Shady Wrote: If I'm an intoxicated underaged female? 

I think we all know the answer to that. 

Rey would try to give you a ride home even he was past the point of driving... hes a good guy

but i dont know why you want to think like an intoxicated underaged female?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - gobobro - 11-18-2015

I saw the Bengals are practicing at the UC Bubble today. Do they plan to do it all week in prep for Arizona's dome, or is it just to dodge today's rain?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 11-23-2015

Does Marvin/Hue have a software program they could use (putting all NFL scenarios in) as to when to call timeouts and do a run vs. pass? I'm guessing Andy did an audible to Green on the 3rd down play to leave 1:08 on the clock. If they run, it winds the clock to about :30 and severely limits the Cards with no timeouts to go 50 yards and kick the Figgie.

Seriously. That should be developed.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 11-24-2015

(11-23-2015, 11:36 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Does Marvin/Hue have a software program they could use (putting all NFL scenarios in) as to when to call timeouts and do a run vs. pass?  I'm guessing Andy did an audible to Green on the 3rd down play to leave 1:08 on the clock.  If they run, it winds the clock to about :30 and severely limits the Cards with no timeouts to go 50 yards and kick the Figgie.

Seriously.  That should be developed.

What's up everyone. Glad this board is back!

I get why people are upset with Hue and Andy on 3rd-and-2, but I don't know how you don't make that call. You've got a $100 million QB, and a $80 million receiver vs. a backup corner. I throw it every time at him. It just didn't work. They felt they had the FG in the bag and it's not crazy to think the defense could get a stop with 60 seconds left. I play for the win every time.

And Hue and Andy (and Marvin) obviously agree, even in hindsight. Hue told us he gets why a run play would have gotten an applause considering the outcome, but at that moment, you've got to think they thought that's a TD, if not a penalty. 

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - Bengalholic - 11-25-2015

(11-24-2015, 11:15 PM)jowczarski Wrote: What's up everyone. Glad this board is back!

I get why people are upset with Hue and Andy on 3rd-and-2, but I don't know how you don't make that call. You've got a $100 million QB, and a $80 million receiver vs. a backup corner. I throw it every time at him. It just didn't work. They felt they had the FG in the bag and it's not crazy to think the defense could get a stop with 60 seconds left. I play for the win every time.

And Hue and Andy (and Marvin) obviously agree, even in hindsight. Hue told us he gets why a run play would have gotten an applause considering the outcome, but at that moment, you've got to think they thought that's a TD, if not a penalty. 

Glad you're back with us Jim!!

I agree with the mindset that says 'go for the win' in that situation. 

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - fredtoast - 11-25-2015

(11-24-2015, 11:15 PM)jowczarski Wrote:  it's not crazy to think the defense could get a stop with 60 seconds left. I play for the win every time.

Or maybe they thought that with all the injuries to the defensive backfield that they would not be able to win in overtime.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - XenoMorph - 11-25-2015

Where is Odell Thruman!!!!?!

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 11-25-2015

But 3rd and 2 is very makeable if you run the ball too AND it saps time off the clock. There is "going for the win" mentality and then there is smart football while still giving Andy and Co. maybe three more shots at the endzone if the pass fails. I know I'm playing Monday morning QB to a degree but geesh. That seems to be a no brainer especially given our injuries to the secondary. Again it wouldn't take a lot to make a simple piece of software for these types of situations. Hire someone to run it and advise on clock management.

I've pointed out plays that didn't really make sense calling that actually worked out too. I scratch my head a lot with Marvin Lewis in the final 2 minutes of halves. I just think much of this stuff has been tried before and is history you can learn from.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 12-01-2015

Does the coaching staff ever discuss draft needs during the season? Perhaps a monthly "hot stove" meeting or something with college scouts?

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - jowczarski - 12-01-2015

(12-01-2015, 01:13 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Does the coaching staff ever discuss draft needs during the season?  Perhaps a monthly "hot stove" meeting or something with college scouts?

Hm, yes and no. They brought in Asa Jackson (4th year corner) on the exemption for the practice squad, a guy who could play against Pittsburgh if someone got hurt vs. Cleveland. But honestly this year there's no one on the street that's better than the 53 they have. They're that healthy. 

As for 3rd-and-2 -- that's Hue and Andy's call. How do you not throw it to AJ Green on a backup corner? He caught it. Andy just delivered it late. A better throw and we're talking about the No. 1 seed in the AFC right now. 

As for the thought that they did that because they were worried about being gouged in OT -- nah. In their mind, they would have won the toss and scored a TD. 

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - RoyleRedlegs - 12-01-2015

(12-01-2015, 02:44 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Hm, yes and no. They brought in Asa Jackson (4th year corner) on the exemption for the practice squad, a guy who could play against Pittsburgh if someone got hurt vs. Cleveland. But honestly this year there's no one on the street that's better than the 53 they have. They're that healthy. 

As for 3rd-and-2 -- that's Hue and Andy's call. How do you not throw it to AJ Green on a backup corner? He caught it. Andy just delivered it late. A better throw and we're talking about the No. 1 seed in the AFC right now. 

As for the thought that they did that because they were worried about being gouged in OT -- nah. In their mind, they would have won the toss and scored a TD. 

Remember that 3rd and 2 play when people complain about being too conservative. 

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - EatonFan - 12-01-2015

(12-01-2015, 03:04 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Remember that 3rd and 2 play when people complain about being too conservative. 

All I'm saying is that on that play it made way more sense to run and try to pick up 2 1/2 yards (first down) as that did three things -- run time off the clock, get you closer for the FG attempt and possibly (i'd even say the odds were in their favor) pick up the 1st and have 3 shots at the TD. 

Surely, a chunk of software could indicate these scenarios based on history.

RE: Ask Jim Owczarski - XenoMorph - 12-02-2015

(12-01-2015, 10:19 PM)EatonFan Wrote: All I'm saying is that on that play it made way more sense to run and try to pick up 2 1/2 yards (first down) as that did three things -- run time off the clock, get you closer for the FG attempt and possibly (i'd even say the odds were in their favor) pick up the 1st and have 3 shots at the TD. 

Surely, a chunk of software could indicate these scenarios based on history.

you think dalton had software out there to run the numbers? He made a choice and went for the throat. we cant complain when he does this if we are gonna complain when they dont.