Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith (/Thread-Bengals-sign-6th-rounder-Derron-Smith)

Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith - Devils Advocate - 05-12-2015

Smith signs

RE: Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith - MizzouBengal - 05-12-2015

Great news, on to the next one!

RE: Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith - Bengalholic - 05-12-2015

Derron Smith...in the 6th round...could to out to be one of the absolute steals in this draft. I was stunned to see him still available at that point. One helluva pick. 

RE: Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith - treee - 05-12-2015

Haven't watched any tape on the guy. Anyone wanna link his some highlights?

Edit: Found some old footage (2012) against boise state.

RE: Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith - jakefromstatefarm - 05-12-2015

Bengals seemed to get quite a few value picks in this draft. They took a bit of heat over a couple of their picks, but overall I felt that they had an excellent draft.

Many people believe that Smith can be a replacement for Nelson someday. Anytime you can grab a future starter in the 6th round, you're doing well.

RE: Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith - BURROWorBUST - 05-13-2015

The kid loves the game. That seems to be a common denominator among all of our picks. Marvin went out and found guys who fit the profile he wants for this team. Props to him of that. If not a great judge of talent, he is a good judge of character.

RE: Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith - Toy Cannon - 05-13-2015

An undersized safety who was very productive in college.

RE: Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith - ochocincos - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 02:13 AM)Toy Cannon Wrote: An undersized safety who was very productive in college.
Reggie Nelson was considered an undersized safety too. He's turned out to be a pretty good safety in the NFL.

In fact, Derron Smith and Reggie Nelson were near identical in size coming out of college.
Derron Smith - 5'11" 200 lb
Reggie Nelson - 5'11" 198 lb

Smith ran a 4.61 40 at his pro day (didn't do any drills at combine). Nelson was faster, clocking in with a 4.35 40 at his pro day and 4.56 at the combine.

What seems feasible is that Iloka is re-signed, Shawn Williams becomes the other starting safety next to Iloka in 2016, and Smith is used in sub-packages for his first two years and possible emerges as a starting safety in a few years.

RE: Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith - eoxyod - 05-13-2015

Honestly this is my favourite pick in the draft and it isn't really close. The value was amazing. At the very least I see him being a great special teamer in the short term, and a solid starter next to Iloka in the future

RE: Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith - Bengal Dude - 05-13-2015

He'll be the leading tackler on ST this year, if he's healthy. I really look forward to seeing what he can do on D.