Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing (/Thread-Obama-Calling-ISIL-Islamic-extremists-would-accomplish-nothing)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - GMDino - 06-14-2016

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/06/14/obama-calling-isil-islamic-extremists-would-accomplish-nothing/85861554/

Quote:WASHINGTON — President Obama sharply rebuked critics who say he should condemn terrorists as "radical Islamists," saying calling the Islamic State by another name will do nothing to defeat it — and could be counterproductive.

"What exactly would using this label accomplish? What exactly would it change? Would it make ISIL less committed to kill Americans? Would it bring in more allies, is there a military strategy that is served by this?" he said. "The answer is none of the above."

In animated off-the-cuff remarks after meeting with his National Security Council Tuesday, Obama repeated his contention that identifying the Syrian-based terror group as Islamic will only serve as a propaganda tool for their extremist ideology, and potentially alienate Muslim allies. It was his sharpest and most extensive response to date on Republican criticism that his strategy is failing because he's failed to understand the religious fervor of terrorists.

"Is President Obama going to finally mention the words radical Islamic terrorism? If he doesn't he should immediately resign in disgrace!" the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, Donald Trump, tweeted on Sunday following a lone-wolf attack on an Orlando nightclub.

[url=http://ux-origin.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/06/13/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-barack-obama/85818732/][/url]
Responded Obama: "There's no magic to the phrase 'radical Islam.' It’s a political talking point. It’s not a strategy."

"Calling a threat by a different name does not make it go away. This is a political distraction."
Obama said in a tone that moved from scolding to mocking.
"Not once has an adviser of mine said, 'Man, if we use that phrase, we’re going to turn this whole thing around.'"

Obama's remarks were directed broadly at Republican critics, "Including politicians who tweet and appear on cable news shows." White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest later said that Obama wasn't just targeting Trump: "It's not just about one politician in the Republican party who is reacting out of fear and using language that the president is concerned could undermine our national security," he said. "He;s not the only one, and that;s the problem."

But Obama also denounced Trump specifically — referring to him not by name but as the presumptive Republican nominee — over his proposal to call a temporary moratorium on Muslims entering the country — or anyone arriving from countries where Islamic terrorism exists.

"Where does this stop? The Orlando killer, or the San Bernardino killers, the Fort Hood killer — they were all U.S. citizens. Are we going to start treating all Muslim Americans differently?" he said. "It makes Muslim Americans feel like their government has betrayed them."

Obama spoke following a previously scheduled meeting of his National Security Council to discuss the progress in the war against the Islamic State. He also gave an update on the investigation into the Orlando nightclub shooting that killed 49 people Sunday, saying there's no evidence the attack was directed by a terrorist organization.

Amen.

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - Rotobeast - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 02:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/06/14/obama-calling-isil-islamic-extremists-would-accomplish-nothing/85861554/

Amen.

I kind of agree, but I think most people's gripe was more about heading right for gun control and not mentioning the extremism of the terrorist, concerning the FL incident.
That just amped up the whole "just say it" crowd.

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - 6andcounting - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 03:43 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I kind of agree, but I think most people's gripe was more about heading right for gun control and not mentioning the extremism of the terrorist, concerning the FL incident.

This.

I agree with his point, but he is countering an issue not being taken. The issue taken is that he made it about gun control while brushing aside it was a Sharia motivated execution of gays. He countered by arguing against a strawman.

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - Millhouse - 06-14-2016

Bet Obama doesnt like how Hillary flipped on this yesterday.

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - bfine32 - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 03:55 PM)6andcounting Wrote: This.

I agree with his point, but he is countering an issue not being taken. The issue taken is that he made it about gun control while brushing aside it was a Sharia motivated execution of gays. He countered by arguing against a strawman.

Kinda found the part where he said "calling a threat by another name doesn't make it go away" but will not compare ISIS (or ISIL as he says) to Islam.

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - GMDino - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 03:43 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I kind of agree, but I think most people's  gripe was more about heading right for gun control and not mentioning the extremism of the terrorist, concerning the FL incident.

I think its a little of both.

Blaming the gun is wrong...but that isn't the reason there has been a constant beating of the drums about what he calls a terrorist attack either.

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - Rotobeast - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 04:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: I think its a little of both.

Blaming the gun is wrong...but that isn't the reason there has been a constant beating of the drums about what he calls a terrorist attack either.

Pretty much why I said I kind of agreed.
It's politics.... they're going to take shots at one another, no matter what.
I'm sure it will feed the Obama is a Muslim crowd, too.
Then you're going to hear about our Muslim president supporting Hillary.....ect....ect....infinity.

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - Griever - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 04:24 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Pretty much why I said I kind of agreed.
It's politics.... they're going to take shots at one another, no matter what.
I'm sure it will feed the Obama is a Muslim crowd, too.
Then you're going to hear about our Muslim president supporting Hillary.....ect....ect....infinity.

oh, did you miss one of the wonder triplets (either brad, bfine, or lucie) saying that obama was a muslim atheist

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - StLucieBengal - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 04:53 PM)Griever Wrote: oh, did you miss one of the wonder triplets (either brad, bfine, or lucie) saying that obama was a muslim atheist

You don't believe he is a closet atheist?  

It's pretty obvious that his faith is just for show.   

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - StLucieBengal - 06-14-2016

Obama has done everything he could to not say Islamic terrorism or really Islamic anything. This is nothing new, been doing it since elected.

Praises Islam and trashes the police. That's the Obama way. Reading those CAIR Talking points.

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - GMDino - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 05:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Obama has done everything he could to not say Islamic terrorism or really Islamic anything. This is nothing new, been doing it since elected.  

Praises Islam and trashes the police.   That's the Obama way.    Reading those CAIR Talking points.

Oh look....the President says something makes sense.  Most people get it and can discuss it and then....

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - jmccracky - 06-14-2016

Didn't Bush address terrorists the same way? If so, then why is Obama different? And isn't calling them ISIL like the ultimate insult??? Obama does that too.

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - Nately120 - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 05:00 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You don't believe he is a closet atheist?  

It's pretty obvious that his faith is just for show.   

The only President in my lifetime that I'd actually trust to be a Christian is Jimmy Carter.

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - tigerseye - 06-14-2016

That sums it up.

Guns have nothing to do with it. They have used planes, cars, trucks, gernades, rpgs, knives, swords, bombs,...on and on.

and the first thing out of their mouths is gun control. (politics)

Like Obama's own words talking about something else (guns) is not going to solve the actual problem (radicals/sharia). (clever)

Terrorist attack executes 49. Straight to politics.unbelievable.

Gun laws won't stop this. They would just be smuggled in or bought on the black market, like drugs (we can't stop that either with laws). New gun laws only effect the law abiding citizens, not people who are willing to commit mass murder.(I know he got his guns legally in this instance but if his wife knew he planned ahead he could of used whatever.)

The government is pushing gun control because they wish to have total control. That's why they bring it up everytime there is a tragidy (To them tragidy is a political opportunity ask Hillary).

The politician and big money have been chipping away at our rights and Constitution for decades and it still persists.

The President needs to be talking about Sharia/ Radical Islam/ ISIS. You know the actual problem.

The guns and ammo of our citizens should be viewed as a strength of the USA. Not something that should be limited.

P.S. Spoons made me fat.

Who Dey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - Nately120 - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 06:08 PM)tigerseye Wrote: That sums it up.

Guns have nothing to do with it. They have used planes, cars, trucks, gernades, rpgs, knives, swords, bombs,...on and on.

and the first thing out of their mouths is gun control. (politics)

Like Obama's own words talking about something else (guns) is not going to solve the actual problem (radicals/sharia). (clever)

Terrorist attack executes 49. Straight to politics.unbelievable.

Gun laws won't stop this. They would just be smuggled in or bought on the black market, like drugs (we can't stop that either with laws). New gun laws only effect the law abiding citizens, not people who are willing to commit mass murder.(I know he got his guns legally in this instance but if his wife knew he planned ahead he could of used whatever.)

The government is pushing gun control because they wish to have total control. That's why they bring it up everytime there is a tragidy (To them tragidy is a political opportunity ask Hillary).

The politician and big money have been chipping away at our rights and Constitution for decades and it still persists.

The President needs to be talking about Sharia/ Radical Islam/ ISIS. You know the actual problem.

The guns and ammo of our citizens should be viewed as a strength of the USA. Not something that should be limited.

P.S. Spoons made me fat.

Who Dey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not saying gun control is ever going to happen, but it probably isn't a coincidence an assault rifle was used in the deadliest mass shooting in the county's history and not an angry guy with a car, a sword, and a wal mart hammer.

RE: Obama: Calling ISIL 'Islamic extremists' would accomplish nothing - bfine32 - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 06:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying gun control is ever going to happen, but it probably isn't a coincidence an assault rifle was used in the deadliest mass shooting in the county's history and not an angry guy with a car, a sword, and a wal mart hammer.

Be hard to use a car, sword, or hammer at a ,mass shooting. 

(06-14-2016, 06:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Be hard to use a car, sword, or hammer at a ,mass shooting. 

[Image: germans.gif]

(06-14-2016, 06:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Be hard to use a car, sword, or hammer at a ,mass shooting. 

I just dream of a world where people have to use a butter knife to kill 50+ people.  Nobody really wants to EARN it anymore, and assault rifles are just taking the lazy way out if you ask me.

I mean, we all know that the gun doesn't matter.  Lord knows if a man wanted to harm me it wouldn't make any difference if he came at me with a knife or a sherman tank.

(06-14-2016, 05:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The only President in my lifetime that I'd actually trust to be a Christian is Jimmy Carter.

That's fair.  I think Reagan and W were religious.   W was really Christian along the lines of carter.   

(06-14-2016, 06:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying gun control is ever going to happen, but it probably isn't a coincidence an assault rifle was used in the deadliest mass shooting in the county's history and not an angry guy with a car, a sword, and a wal mart hammer.

They should just teach firearm safety courses in high school.   Everyone should have some exposure so they can at least be slightly informed.   All the band kids ducking PE can take this ....  

Year long course.   Firearm safety, history, recognition.