Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control (/Thread-Self-professed-gun-nut-on-gun-control)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Belsnickel - 06-30-2016

First, let me say I have never been a fan of the term gun nut, but the author uses it and so I will here as well. Anyway, this is an interesting write up and wanted to share.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dogmadebate/2016/06/why-gun-nuts-lie-i-know-from-experience/

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Aquapod770 - 06-30-2016

Justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Nately120 - 06-30-2016

Pretty reasonable stuff.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Mike M (the other one) - 07-01-2016

I like the direction of monitoring the ownership, but he overlooks a few things.

For example we don't really know how much crime has been deterred by a CC person simply because a criminal is not going to call the Police and tell them that someone pulled a gun on them while they were attempting to rob someone.

Their is no way to really tell if it's helping or not, all we have to go by is stats prior to a passing of a CC Law to a year or two later after it's been passed and a suitable amount of people have CC licenses.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Belsnickel - 07-01-2016

(07-01-2016, 01:55 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I like the direction of monitoring the ownership, but he overlooks a few things.

For example we don't really know how much crime has been deterred by a CC person simply because a criminal is not going to call the Police and tell them that someone pulled a gun on them while they were attempting to rob someone.

Their is no way to really tell if it's helping or not, all we have to go by is stats prior to a passing of a CC Law to a year or two later after it's been passed and a suitable amount of people have CC licenses.

I wouldn't say he overlooked this, mainly because it does nothing against his argument. What he advocates would not prohibit concealed carry.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Mike M (the other one) - 07-01-2016

(07-01-2016, 02:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I wouldn't say he overlooked this, mainly because it does nothing against his argument. What he advocates would not prohibit concealed carry.

I get the AR-15 part as too much firepower for civilians and it just feeds the gun enthusiast's ego and Rambo Fantasy.

Guns like that, I have no problems with restricting/limiting ownership or possibly flat out prohibiting the ownership of them. The problem with restricting is that, if I can get one and you can't, you will be offering me a lot of money so you can get one. And where do we go from there? Do we limit me from the ability to purchase a new one every 10 years or so? How do I find out of I can sell it to you legally? How do I transfer ownership? So many problems created need to be resolved.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Belsnickel - 07-01-2016

(07-01-2016, 03:14 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I get the AR-15 part as too much firepower for civilians and it just feeds the gun enthusiast's ego and Rambo Fantasy.

Guns like that, I have no problems with restricting/limiting ownership or possibly flat out prohibiting the ownership of them. The problem with restricting is that, if I can get one and you can't, you will be offering me a lot of money so you can get one. And where do we go from there? Do we limit me from the ability to purchase a new one every 10 years or so? How do I find out of I can sell it to you legally? How do I transfer ownership? So many problems created need to be resolved.

Personally, and I have said this a number of times, is that I have never seen a convincing argument that civilian ownership of semi-automatic weapons is necessary and should not be prohibited if we are discussing the prohibition of ownership of particular firearms. I say that as someone that loves shooting, including semis, but all legal uses for firearms can be accomplished with the same degree of effectiveness with actions other than autoloaders.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-02-2016

(07-01-2016, 04:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Personally, and I have said this a number of times, is that I have never seen a convincing argument that civilian ownership of semi-automatic weapons is necessary and should not be prohibited if we are discussing the prohibition of ownership of particular firearms.

I'll give you one right now.  The guy, or guys, who will be invading your home, sticking a gun in your face or otherwise using a firearm to commit a crime sure as hell won't restrict themselves to revolvers and lever/pump action firearms.  The semi-automatic firearm isn't exactly a new phenomenon either, it's technology around a century old. 

Quote:I say that as someone that loves shooting, including semis, but all legal uses for firearms can be accomplished with the same degree of effectiveness with actions other than autoloaders.

I consider you a good dude so please understand what I mean when I say that this is the exact type of thinking that will lead to almost total civilian disarmament.  It's Fudd thinking at level red.  I'm sure someone reading this will think that I'm a "typical gun owner" prone to hysterics and overly paranoid about confiscation.  One need look no further than the travesty that just occurred yesterday in my state to see that this is not paranoia, that confiscation is the ultimate goal of the current left side of this issue and that the argument is really boiling down to being pro gun ownership or pro confiscation.  Governor Brown created millions of felons with a signature and I don't know any person who will be complying with a single one of these new laws.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - GMDino - 07-02-2016

(07-01-2016, 04:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Personally, and I have said this a number of times, is that I have never seen a convincing argument that civilian ownership of semi-automatic weapons is necessary and should not be prohibited if we are discussing the prohibition of ownership of particular firearms. I say that as someone that loves shooting, including semis, but all legal uses for firearms can be accomplished with the same degree of effectiveness with actions other than autoloaders.

I've never seen where it was used in defense of anything.  Always in attacks.

Defense stories seem to always be shotguns, handguns, etc.

I'm sure someone will find one now that I said that though.  Smirk

And I'm with you in allowing people to own weapons.  Heck I really don't even care if they want the biggest baddest they can get...I just don't understand the need for it.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-02-2016

(07-02-2016, 06:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: I've never seen where it was used in defense of anything.  Always in attacks.

You do know that most handguns are semi-automatics right?  I could give you well over a hundred based on direct second hand account.  Most will never make the news because they didn't involve shots being fired.  Brandishing is usually enough to dissuade your attacker.

Quote:And I'm with you in allowing people to own weapons.  Heck I really don't even care if they want the biggest baddest they can get...I just don't understand the need for it.

I can respect that.  I'll add this, if any piece of proposed legislation would have an actual impact on firearm related crime I would support it.  An "Assault weapons" ban will have zero impact on crime because it had zero impact on crime for the ten years it was previously in effect.  Criminals don't follow the law, hence the title of criminal.  Gun control laws only affect people who care about following the law, to a point and I believe we've reached that point in CA.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - Belsnickel - 07-02-2016

(07-02-2016, 06:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'll give you one right now.  The guy, or guys, who will be invading your home, sticking a gun in your face or otherwise using a firearm to commit a crime sure as hell won't restrict themselves to revolvers and lever/pump action firearms.  The semi-automatic firearm isn't exactly a new phenomenon either, it's technology around a century old. 

I don't really see this as a convincing argument. In a home invasion the best move is gathering the occupant and taking a defensive position behind cover facing a door. A shotgun and/or revolver in .38 special/.357 magnum is the best weapon for this defense. The statistics I saw before during an argument about this showed altercations where a firearm is used defensively are overwhelmingly, over 95%, over within three rounds fired. Well within the capacity of a revolver.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - SunsetBengal - 07-02-2016

(07-02-2016, 06:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: I've never seen where it was used in defense of anything.  Always in attacks.

I'm sure someone will find one now that I said that though.  Smirk

And I'm with you in allowing people to own weapons.  Heck I really don't even care if they want the biggest baddest they can get...I just don't understand the need for it.

What's to understand?  It's a persons natural selection.  I mean, by that logic, what is the need for an attractive wife with big tits?  A homely, fat, flat chested woman is equally capable of producing offspring, right?

(07-02-2016, 08:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's to understand?  It's a persons natural selection.  I mean, by that logic, what is the need for an attractive wife with big tits?  A homely, fat, flat chested woman is equally capable of producing offspring, right?

No. Physiologically speaking there are body types more capable of breeding and child rearing. It's why our lust is, in general, triggered by similar things across mankind.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - SunsetBengal - 07-02-2016

(07-02-2016, 09:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No. Physiologically speaking there are body types more capable of breeding and child rearing. It's why our lust is, in general, triggered by similar things across mankind.

Exactly, so why wouldn't most gun owners want the most powerful, efficient tool to defend or take down prey?

(07-02-2016, 09:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, so why wouldn't most gun owners want the most powerful, efficient tool to defend or take down prey?

I find my .270 single shot to be the most efficient for hunting deer and bear, my SxS 16 ga for most birds, my Remington 870 for turkey and home defense.

I get what you are saying, and I could understand it being applied for pistols (though I don't agree), but not rifles. The long guns often brought up are not the best weapons for hunting or home defense.

(07-02-2016, 09:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I find my .270 single shot to be the most efficient for hunting deer and bear, my SxS 16 ga for most birds, my Remington 870 for turkey and home defense.

I get what you are saying, and I could understand it being applied for pistols (though I don't agree), but not rifles. The long guns often brought up are not the best weapons for hunting or home defense.

I know numerous people who use AR15's to hunt, especially coyotes.  Varmint control is just as important as hunting to cull numbers in some areas.  Besides, what firearm is "the best" or "better" for hunting is the source of endless arguments to which there is no consensus.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - bfine32 - 07-02-2016

(07-01-2016, 04:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Personally, and I have said this a number of times, is that I have never seen a convincing argument that civilian ownership of semi-automatic weapons is necessary and should not be prohibited if we are discussing the prohibition of ownership of particular firearms. I say that as someone that loves shooting, including semis, but all legal uses for firearms can be accomplished with the same degree of effectiveness with actions other than autoloaders.

Should high performance sports cars be illegal? 

I mean a Kia can get you to the store as effectively as a Ferrari. It's just that the Ferrari has much more potential to be dangerous

(07-02-2016, 09:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Should high performance sports cars be illegal? 

I mean a Kia can get you to the store as effectively as a Ferrari. It's just that the Ferrari has much more potential to be dangerous

We've hashed this out before and we will not agree this time either. Something designed to kill other humans is not equatable to a sports car.

Edit: to be quite frank, though, I would shed no tears if they did make sports cars illegal, or mandated governors. People are far to dangerous on the roads these days and speed plays no small part in that.

(07-02-2016, 09:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I know numerous people who use AR15's to hunt, especially coyotes.  Varmint control is just as important as hunting to cull numbers in some areas.  Besides, what firearm is "the best" or "better" for hunting is the source of endless arguments to which there is no consensus.

I could make the argument for lever actions in that situation. And yes, it is an endless debate. One I know I am a bit old fashioned on.

RE: Self-professed "gun nut" on gun control - bfine32 - 07-02-2016

(07-02-2016, 10:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: We've hashed this out before and we will not agree this time either. Something designed to kill other humans is not equatable to a sports car.

Edit: to be quite frank, though, I would shed no tears if they did make sports cars illegal, or mandated governors. People are far to dangerous on the roads these days and speed plays no small part in that.

Every gun is designed to kill other humans.